PDA

View Full Version : Forum friends and KISS fans... I Need some opinons...

J.B.
02-10-2010, 12:16 AM
I got a phone call yesterday asking me if I would be interested in leading the road crew for a popular KISS tribute band that tours the US and Canada. The pay is very good, and I wouldn't have to work at all outside of the group if decide to take the job, but they are talking about doing a minimum of 50 shows before the end of the year. :unsure:

That much time on the road would basically kill all the momentum that is going with my own band, and it also would put a major strain on the relationship I am currently in. However, work as an engineer and a DJ has been slow and this would basically secure my finances for at least the next 10 months. Not to mention that the promoters and management companies this group works with would be a good hook-up for me. So, needless to say, I am a bit torn on what to do.

Since it's a pretty boring Tuesday, I figured I would ask... what does the forum think? :)

matthughesfan21
02-10-2010, 12:45 AM
if you think it would be something you would enjoy doing, i would say go for it

Black Mamba
02-10-2010, 01:05 AM
My first thought would be to do it. I've had some experience as a sound and stage techie just at the high school level, and I had a blast. I can't imagine the fun it's going to be, along with the nice pay off.

But there was also a tiny alert when you said it would put some major strain on your relationship. Well, I’d sit down and talk to her. If you really want to do this, I believe it’s something that will test your relationship. If you and her really trust and have a strong bond, then by time these 50 shows are done, there shouldn’t be any problems. However, if you decide to go, and there’s underlying kinks that neither one of you know of (i.e. trust issues) then that will definitely be exposed. Trust and communication are going to be the key.

J.B.
02-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Thanks guys!

Yeah Mamba, I do think it's something that would test us a couple. We have only been together a few months and she has not had to deal with any of the stresses of me being on the road yet. Although we have talked about it, and she does love what I do, I'm just not sure how things are going to work when I am actually gone at this point.

I don't wanna screw it up with her, because I really do care about her, but at the same time this is my life and I have been working in this industry for over a decade. If I didn't do this I would be lost, and even worse...BROKE. :laugh:

The even funnier thing is... I don't really like KISS, so this would not be all that fun for me. :laugh:

Black Mamba
02-10-2010, 01:50 AM
Uh oh, few months....honeymoon stage, that's a pretty new relationship. My next best advice would be, if you do decide to do this, is to maintain contact (i.e. texting, calls, and if you have a laptop with a webcam communicate with that). I know that's easier said then done when being on the road. But a simple text like thinking of you, can really make a chick's day.

I also think if she understands you're doing this for money, then I hope she wouldn't have a problem. I don't think she'd want a broke man. :tongue0011:

Good luck with your decision, and to maintaining your relationship. :)

J.B.
02-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Uh oh, few months....honeymoon stage, that's a pretty new relationship. My next best advice would be, if you do decide to do this, is to maintain contact (i.e. texting, calls, and if you have a laptop with a webcam communicate with that). I know that's easier said then done when being on the road. But a simple text like thinking of you, can really make a chick's day.

I also think if she understands you're doing this for money, then I hope she wouldn't have a problem. I don't think she'd want a broke man. :tongue0011:

Good luck with your decision, and to maintaining your relationship. :)

:laugh:

Yeah, we are a new couple, but I'm an old dog :cool:

Honestly, I have never had to deal with a girl I couldn't take with me when I went on the road, so this is as new to me as it is to her. :wink:

I feel so blessed in my life right now that whatever decision I make, I know it will be the right one! :)

Still...thank you Mamba!

MattHughesRocks
02-10-2010, 02:46 AM
I think it sounds like an awesome opportunity, and like you said, can provide you with hook ups to other things.You refereed to your girl as " your current relationship" or something like that, that tells me you can live with out her.If it was meant to be she'll be there when you get back.
Go for it!

Neezar
02-10-2010, 03:43 AM
The even funnier thing is... I don't really like KISS, so this would not be all that fun for me. :laugh:

:muttering:

matthughesfan21
02-10-2010, 04:46 AM
The even funnier thing is... I don't really like KISS, so this would not be all that fun for me. :laugh::no::muttering::punch:

Llamafighter
02-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I think in that industry networking is a big thing, so going to all those venues and meeting the guys behind the scenes could offer you a lot of opportunity. If you think the homelife can survive it then I say go for it. you only live here on earth once and if you do it right, it's enough.

J.B.
02-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks everybody!

I am going to meet with the guys this week and hammer out all the details, and I will decide what I'm going to do then.

Oh, and sorry if I riled any KISS fans, I don't hate KISS or anything, their music just never really grew on me. :laugh:

billwilliams70
02-10-2010, 07:45 PM
if you think it would be something you would enjoy doing, i would say go for it
Ditto.....and don't focus on not liking KISS, it's not them, it's a tribute band.

Is it the midgets that were on the Dr. Pepper commercial with them that aired during the Super Bowl?

Later.

DonnaMaria
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I love Kiss! Let me work the shows! :w00t:

J.B.
02-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Ditto.....and don't focus on not liking KISS, it's not them, it's a tribute band.

Is it the midgets that were on the Dr. Pepper commercial with them that aired during the Super Bowl?

Later.

No, it's not the midgets. :laugh:

billwilliams70
02-10-2010, 08:10 PM
No, it's not the midgets. :laugh:
Cool.......again, I think you should do it.

Later.

Buzzard
02-10-2010, 10:40 PM
If you have more to gain than to lose, I'd do it. You could very well make some contacts that could change your life drastically for the better. If you go, make sure you settle your home affairs properly. Oh yeah, have a back-up plan too.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

MattHughesRocks
02-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Don't worry, their music does suck:laugh:.They were just so fascinating to watch.That's how they got people to listen.

Thanks everybody!

I am going to meet with the guys this week and hammer out all the details, and I will decide what I'm going to do then.

Oh, and sorry if I riled any KISS fans, I don't hate KISS or anything, their music just never really grew on me. :laugh:

matthughesfan21
02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Don't worry, their music does suck:laugh:.They were just so fascinating to watch.That's how they got people to listen.

:fighting0008::fighting0028:

Miss Foxy
02-10-2010, 11:17 PM
I believe you should do what you gotta do. Relationship should not turn sour or strained if you two love each other you can make it work. Remember we have members of our Armed Forces that leave their families daily and if there's a will there's a way my friend.. Good luck with your decision hope this helps.. You know crazy Foxy had to put her 2 pesos in!! :wink:

J.B.
02-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Well, I had a chance to meet with the group's leader today.We had a very nice discussion about all of the details of this gig and I also took the time to sit down and talk about it with my girlfriend Melissa this past week. She is totally cool with it, and it's really not as many weeks on the road at a time as I had expected him to say it was. However, that's where the shade of gray comes in, as is always expected in this business. :wink:

He then tells me that they are hoping to almost double their amount of shows over the next year, most of which would be on the road, based on exposure from a certain television program, which I am not going to name just yet. In fact, then he also says, "hey, we need you to be ready to hit the road on Tuesday". :w00t:

Why so soon ,you ask? Because they are taping for the previously mentioned TV show on Wednesday....:rolleyes:

Actually, they wouldn't really need me for the trip next week, but I think he wants to give me exposure to the rest of people around the group because the band actually lives in different places all over the country. I also think he was just trying to test me to see if I would be ready to hit the road at a moments notice.

Regardless, I told him I was ready.

Now I just wait for him to call me back after speaking with the rest of the group and we seal the deal. :cool:

VCURamFan
02-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Well, I had a chance to meet with the group's leader today.We had a very nice discussion about all of the details of this gig and I also took the time to sit down and talk about it with my girlfriend Melissa this past week. She is totally cool with it, and it's really not as many weeks on the road at a time as I had expected him to say it was. However, that's where the shade of gray comes in, as is always expected in this business. :wink:

He then tells me that they are hoping to almost double their amount of shows over the next year, most of which would be on the road, based on exposure from a certain television program, which I am not going to name just yet. In fact, then he also says, "hey, we need you to be ready to hit the road on Tuesday". :w00t:

Why so soon ,you ask? Because they are taping for the previously mentioned TV show on Wednesday....:rolleyes:

Actually, they wouldn't really need me for the trip next week, but I think he wants to give me exposure to the rest of people around the group because the band actually lives in different places all over the country. I also think he was just trying to test me to see if I would be ready to hit the road at a moments notice.

Now I just wait for him to call me back after speaking with the rest of the group and we seal the deal. :cool:

Dude, that's awesome!! Congrats on landing this!!!

MattHughesRocks
02-15-2010, 04:34 AM
Oh my gosh! I'm ready! :w00t: When you meet "Gene Simmons" ask him to stick his tongue out very first thing :laugh:

Bring a video camera.I'll want to see some footage! :happydancing:

VCURamFan
02-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Oh my gosh! I'm ready! :w00t: When you meet "Gene Simmons" ask him to stick his tongue out very first thing :laugh:

Bring a video camera.I'll want to see some footage! :happydancing:

Do we want to know why you're so excited about that footage? :ninja: :scared0015:

MattHughesRocks
02-15-2010, 05:08 AM
It just sounds like so much fun I want to be a part! :w00t:

Do we want to know why you're so excited about that footage? :ninja: :scared0015:

Bonnie
05-12-2010, 04:13 PM
I totally missed this thread when you posted it, JB. Whatever happened with this (if you don't mind me asking)? :unsure-1:

Btw, I forgot to ask at the time and don't remember if you mentioned it, but are you the one who did/does the web site for your band, High Underground?

Chuck
05-13-2010, 04:56 AM
I totally missed this thread when you posted it, JB. Whatever happened with this (if you don't mind me asking)? :unsure-1:

Btw, I forgot to ask at the time and don't remember if you mentioned it, but are you the one who did/does the web site for your band, High Underground?

I totally missed it too and now I'M curious!!!!!!!!

flo
05-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Yes, I'm curious too...sounds like a great opportunity but it's so hard to weigh the pros and cons. Are you going to do it, JB?

J.B.
05-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I guess I should have updated this thread, a few people have asked me privately about it since then and I just kept forgetting to update it. :laugh:

Yes, I did hook up with them a few times for local gigs, and they are really cool guys, but ultimately, it turned out to be vastly less money than they originally promised, and a little bit too much inner-dysfunction for me to involve myself with. The last thing I need to be is the Dr. Phil/mediator for a bunch of old drunks arguing about who got the bigger cut out of their show in some tiny town in Oklahoma.

Not only that, but they expected me to be on call for them and not book any other work. Sorry, but unless you pay me a fixed salary that is more than what I'm making every year now, I'm not committing to any group like that. Oh yeah, did I mention that I need that in writing? Anytime I DJ an event, I require the customer to sign a contract to protect my ass, and if I were to have agreed to their terms, I could have been sitting around with no work just waiting on them to call. That's not secure enough for me. I know they are doing a ton of shows, but I need more assurance that a fixed amount of money is going to be there or it's not worth it for me to change my situation.

I told them I would be willing to help them out at local gigs when they need it, but I wasn't interested in being their full time guy. I make more money DJ'ing a wedding or club for one night than they were willing to pay for a whole weekend of work ON THE ROAD. That's messed up. I mean, I know as well as anybody that not every show pays the same, but that don't mean crap to me. I'm not the lead singer, or guitarist, I am the engineer.

As an Audio Engineer, I charge the same, no matter what your purse was for the night, because the truth is that the engineers and road crew do ALL the REAL work. I've played 4 hour sets before, singing and playing guitar like a wild-man, and I still have to physically work ten times harder as the only engineer at a gig then I ever did as a performer. You think the band-members ever want to carry that crap on their own? Nope, and when I was playing all the time and we had roadies/groupies following us around, I rarely carried my own crap either. :laugh: Thats only half of it, then you gotta deal with the actual technical aspects of setting everything up and getting it working right. Drums and Amps, then all the PA crap, then lastly the light-show. I'm not even really a light-guy, but they had me doing lights too. It really is a production that requires two people, but they barely want to pay one. Heck, I would have brought another guy of my own in with me and paid him to help if they were actually paying the money they were talking about in the beginning.

J.B.
05-13-2010, 08:16 AM
are you the one who did/does the web site for your band, High Underground?

Yes, I am the one who maintains highunderground.com

I know I already told you that when we spoke yesterday Bonnie, but I figured I would answer the question in here as well for those who don't know.

Bonnie
05-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks, JB. I had already posted my ?s here..... :wink:

I can't believe they wanted one person to handle all that. I remember watching a documentary of Britney's tour (pre-meltdown). They showed a lot of the stuff you mentioned--sound, lights, everything involved in putting on a show. I know that was on a grander scale than these guys, but still gives you an idea of the huge amount of work (and people) involved in putting on each show. Smart guy to always get them to sign paper. There are a lot of clueless people out there, and a lot of people ready to take advantage of them.

Judge Judy: "It's the most ridiculous thing I can think of - for two people who do not have a contract, a legally binding contract between them, like a marriage certificate, to open up a joint bank account is the dumbest thing! Listen out there, youngsters!!! :laugh:

J.B.
05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks, JB. I had already posted my ?s here..... :wink:

I can't believe they wanted one person to handle all that. I remember watching a documentary of Britney's tour (pre-meltdown). They showed a lot of the stuff you mentioned--sound, lights, everything involved in putting on a show. I know that was on a grander scale than these guys, but still gives you an idea of the huge amount of work (and people) involved in putting on each show. Smart guy to always get them to sign paper. There are a lot of clueless people out there. And a lot of people ready to take advantage of them.

:laugh:

It is a lot of work, and a lot of stress because nothing ever runs 100% smoothly, and it's never a simple fix either, like a bad cord that I have a million of in totes and bags, it's gotta be the one part you can't go buy because the nearest Guitar Center closed an hour ago. :laugh:

I've done it enough with a ton of different bands over the years to be used to it, so running a smaller scale operation by myself isn't hard for me at all. It's just not worth it though to do the same amount of work every single show and not get paid the same amount of money. They wanted to basically pay me last, and they know that's not how it works. The venue and the crews get paid before the artists just like the venue and the UFC gets paid before the fighters do.

Bonnie
05-13-2010, 12:48 PM
It is a lot of work, and a lot of stress because nothing ever runs 100% smoothly, and it's never a simple fix either, like a bad cord that I have a million of in totes and bags, it's gotta be the one part you can't go buy because the nearest Guitar Center closed an hour ago. :laugh:

I've done it enough with a ton of different bands over the years to be used to it, so running a smaller scale operation by myself isn't hard for me at all. It's just not worth it though to do the same amount of work every single show and not get paid the same amount of money. They wanted to basically pay me last, and they know that's not how it works. The venue and the crews get paid before the artists just like the venue and the UFC gets paid before the fighters do.

It's kind of like trying to put the cart before the horse. :rolleyes: It may have wheels, but it isn't going anywhere.... That pony ain't stupid! :laugh:

J.B.
05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
It's kind of like trying to put the cart before the horse. :rolleyes: It may have wheels, but it isn't going anywhere.... That pony ain't stupid! :laugh:

Exactly! :laugh:

flo
05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Like Bonnie said, looks like you made the right decision. It's a good thing you get any agreements in writing...it's too bad it didn't pan out but it sounds like they sort of misrepresented themselves.

I know what you're saying about all the grunt work. My husband is a drummer and they have to schlepp everything around themselves (they are just a local band).

Anyway, glad it all worked out.