PDA

View Full Version : Pets you've had

Tyburn
02-08-2010, 05:07 PM
:laugh: you all go first, because I have had quite a few!

Tyburn
02-11-2010, 01:00 AM
well this thread went down like a fart in church didnt it :laugh:

DonnaMaria
02-11-2010, 02:12 AM
UGH I HATE that expression! That's disgusting! :laugh: But funny in a way!

okay, I'll be first........

I have had a Rottie who passed away about 4 years ago. The best dog ever.

Then I had and still have Max the Terrible.....an incorrigble little Carin Terrier.
Worst dog in the World.:angry:

Now I have Titus, a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) and current Best Dog in the World.:cool:

And my daughter has Peanutello. A Teddy Bear Hamster. Best hamster in the world.

I hope to own a dwarf goat soon. And some chickens.

That's it.

The end.

* Cue Dave!*

Tyburn
02-12-2010, 12:10 AM
:laugh:

Well in my life time I have seen Four cats, three hamsters, three Guineapigs, two chinchilars, two goldfish, a tank of tropical fish, and a Budgie :laugh:

When I was really young, my Mother had two cats called Skunk and Tigger. They were both squashed on the main road (called Newark Road) where I was born, and they died within the first five years of my life.

After that, and after the last of my siblings were born, my Parents adopted a stray from the RSPCA we named Apple, because she played in our apple trees night after night as a kitten. She lived for 19 years. Eventually she got sick with liver and kidney issues, and she was put on steroids until she eventually has to be put down.

Now in Harrogate my family decided to adopt another stray from a kattery, she had been in a cold wire cage across the winter, and had previously been abused by her owner so badly that we think her back legs have been broken and not set properly. she doesnt walk or move right.

Whilst in Lincoln I bought myself a Hamster called Moto, who was a little dark thing, very loving. We dont really know why Moto died, one day he just wouldnt wake up, he died in his sleep, but he was less then a full year old.

So I bought another Hamster who I named Terri. Terri was a white albino with red eyes, and he was absolutely vicious. He nearly bit my mothers finger off. He couldnt be handled. He died of a prolapse eventually.

So My Grandparents bought me my final hamster, who was a fluffy long hair and I called it cusion...like as in pin-cusion :laugh: This Hamster died of natural causes.

Once dead I invested in a tank and filled it with mollies and neon tetras. When we realized we were moving to Harrogate we stopped replenishing the fish and the tank was emptied and never refilled. it broke in transit to Yorkshire.

While in Lincoln a friend of our families from Church had a pair of chinchilas and could no longer look after them, and so we inherited them. A male called Roland and a Female called Samantha, who had mated for life and soon began to have babies which we sold or gave away. Then one day Roland died of heart failure. A week later Samantha died. she gave up the will to live and pined away by sitting in her sandbox and refusing food or drink.

Once in Harrogate after University and my time in London. I invested in an illegal pet guinea pig. (I wasnt at this point allowed to have pets.) I called him Franklin after the fighter Rich Franklin. Franklin was extremely small for a guineapig and he got sick a lot, so I took him to the vets, who said that he was the runt of the litter. Eventually he had growth issues and his back legs and rear end bagan to sieze up and he died.

A year later when the guy downstairs moved in with pets, I got the clause in my contract changed, and I got two male Guineapigs together. one was a long haired tortershell who I named Sherk, and a short haired pig which I named Lauzon. Sherk had a stroke but Lauzon survives to this day.

Last year Accepting the Doctrine of Intrinsic Value, I bought a Budgie to remind me of that fact and called him Jens. I also bought two goldfish one called Jess and one called Robbie, and I gave them to my Sister Rosy and her soon to be Husband, who now refer to them as "the Kids" :laugh:

NateR
02-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Brownie: our first dog which was just a mutt (we think he had some border collie in him) we got around 1981 or 82. He ran away and was hit by a car and had to be put down.

Daisy: she kind of just wandered into our yard and never left, so we kept her until we discovered that she was half pit bull and rhodesian ridgeback, and she attacked our other dog (see next entry) and my brother. So we had the dog catcher come and take her away.

Nuisance: half welsh corgi, half something else. She was a super cute little dog until she got off her chain and ran out into traffic and was run over.

Ra'ah: half poodle, half Australian shepherd. We got her from the dog catcher around 1983, who was a friend of my dad's. She was one of the best dogs we ever owned. But she died of old age and a heart murmur in 1990.

Boots #1: this was half black lab and half something else that was really big. As a puppy this dog could do some damage. We got her around the same time we got Ra'ah, but when we moved from Belen, NM to Santa Fe, NM in 1984, we had to leave her with a different owner. Mainly because the new house we were moving into only allowed one dog. Fortunately, we were able to find a ranch owner from our church was gave Boots a good home and plenty of space to run around in.

Boots #2: When I got out of basic training my parents moved into a new house in Alamogordo, NM and the owners left a small half-toy poodle, half chihuahua behind. She had a abscess in her eye that they told us, if we could have it removed, we could keep her. Otherwise they were just going to put her to sleep. So my parents did that and they kept her from 1991 until around 1996 when she died of old age. She was an awesome dog.

Sandy: Half chow, half coyote. Another one of the best dogs we have ever owned. We got her from the dog pound in 1997 and my parent still have her now.

Other animals:
We had gerbils on and off as we were kids. My brother and I probably raised three generations of them from 1984 through 1989.

During high school, I owned a mouse for a while, then a couple of different kinds of spiders. I didn't keep them for long though. I also tried owning a king snake when I was in the Army, but I've definitely learned that I'm a mammal guy. :)

Oddtodd76
02-12-2010, 01:11 AM
so many cats that i can't even count them all over the years.

Dogs, random order:
toy poodle
schnauzer
alaskan malamute
golden retriever
cocker spaniel
blue heeler
dalmation
pekingese

lots of fish

hamster

tons of rabbits: holland lops, californians, checkered giants

iguana...kinda wierd...didn't keep it long! hahahaha

different kinds of birds:
love birds...golden retriever loved it, but gave her the runs in the end!

parakeets
cockatiel
zebra finch
strawberry finch
some type of blue finch...cat thought it was delicious
some type of yellow finch...cat thought it was also tasty

surveyorshawn
02-12-2010, 03:35 AM
We had some fish when I was 3 or 4, but I thought they needed a bath, and let's just say that the dial soap didn't set well with them...
Our 1st dog was a black cockier spaniel named Gypsy. My sister's kindergarten bus ran over her.
2 gerbils named Elisabeth and Rebecca
We had too many dogs over the years to remember, but some of the ones that stick out are:
A mixed breed I had named Fluffy. I drew a picture of him and me when I was in the 5th grade and won an art contest for the whole MS Gulf Coast.
An albino German Sheppard named Snowball
A yellow lab named Yeller, lol
My sister had a black cat named Midnight. Did I mention that I hate cats? They make great footballs.....
A grey cat named Smokey. I gave him to my Grandmother, so he escaped the torture, lol.
My best dog, a black mouthed cur named Buck. He was hit by a truck when I was in the Navy. My mom said that after I left for bootcamp he used to lay by the door to my room waiting for me to come out.
A great dane named Sampson
A chocolate lab named Buddy
A dachshund (sp) named Belle. A rattlesnake bit her and she died.
We still have Molly, who is a fiest.
Our new puppy is Angel, who is the offspring of Molly and a black lab (figure that one out, lol), although Angel is white. She looks just like a lab, though.

Llamafighter
02-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Sandy: Half chow, half coyote. Another one of the best dogs we have ever owned. We got her from the dog pound in 1997 and my parent still have her now.

:scared0011:
Coyote?

My buddy had a chow (with a purple tongue) and it was one of the nicest dogs ever. I think it was a wanderer too.

Neezar
02-12-2010, 03:42 AM
a little off topic but....so what. lol

I had a friend once who had a wolf as a pet. Terrible. Terrible idea. He had her about 2 years and then he got married and his wife got pregnant. Fast forward 5 years, he has two small children in the house that can't go in the fenced in back yard without an adult. Even though he has her in a 6 X 8 cage, she has gotten out before. And she (the wolf) paces back and forth, salvating with her head lowered and snarling. She hates being caged up. What kind of life is that for kids or the wolf? :sad:

People are crazy.

flo
02-12-2010, 03:51 AM
After reading the different things that happened to people's dogs, I've had this image in my mind:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5197/lostpuppyu.jpg

:laugh::laugh:

flo
02-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Through the years I've had dogs, cats, a couple hamsters and several horses.

Right now we have 2 dogs and 2 cats but we are possibly getting 2 more dogs on Saturday (puppy and a rescue) and I'm so excited!!

I'll post a pic if we get the pup (and if anyone would like to see it :-)

Neezar
02-12-2010, 03:54 AM
After reading the different things that happened to people's dogs, I've had this image in my mind:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5197/lostpuppyu.jpg

:laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

flo
02-12-2010, 03:56 AM
a little off topic but....so what. lol

I had a friend once who had a wolf as a pet. Terrible. Terrible idea. He had her about 2 years and then he got married and his wife got pregnant. Fast forward 5 years, he has two small children in the house that can't go in the fenced in back yard without an adult. Even though he has her in a 6 X 8 cage, she has gotten out before. And she (the wolf) paces back and forth, salvating with her head lowered and snarling. She hates being caged up. What kind of life is that for kids or the wolf? :sad:

People are crazy.

That's sickening. It's also torture, IMO.

And I hope you are kidding, Shawn, about using cats as footballs. They are God's creatures too, there is just no excuse for animal abuse.

Neezar
02-12-2010, 03:59 AM
When we were little we had a shepard named 'Pepsi'. I was 1ish and sis was 3ish. Mom would come out and sit on the front porch while we played. We had a ditch in the front yard right before the road. If I hit the ditch she would come and pull me back into the yard. She said one day I hit the ditch and Pepsi got the back of my dress in his mouth and pulled me back in the yard. She said from then on she let him do the work. She said he faithfully patrolled that ditch when we were out there. :wub:

He got killed and Dad swore we would never have another dog.

We had one when I was 11. He got run over the second year.
:sad:

Now I have Nitro and he is getting old and skinny. I think he may have cancer. :sad:

I am NEVER getting another pet. :angry:

flo
02-12-2010, 03:59 AM
I don't mean to sound preachy. But with kids and animals, I can't stand to see either hurt or abused in any way.

surveyorshawn
02-12-2010, 04:00 AM

And I hope you are kidding, Shawn, about using cats as footballs. They are God's creatures too, there is just no excuse for animal abuse.
Yes, I'm kidding....I don't like football! See my Saints post! Lol. I am allergic to cats now though, but I was not as a child...go figure! Last time I was around one my eyes almost swelled shut, and I couldn't stop sneezing.

Neezar
02-12-2010, 04:01 AM

I asked him why he didn't give her to one of his buddies who lives out in the country. He said he loves her too much. :blink:

:duh:

flo
02-12-2010, 04:03 AM
When we were little we had a shepard named 'Pepsi'. I was 1ish and sis was 3ish. Mom would come out and sit on the front porch while we played. We had a ditch in the front yard right before the road. If I hit the ditch she would come and pull me back into the yard. She said one day I hit the ditch and Pepsi got the back of my dress in his mouth and pulled me back in the yard. She said from then on she let him do the work. She said he faithfully patrolled that ditch when we were out there. :wub:

He got killed and Dad swore we would never have another dog.

We had one when I was 11. He got run over the second year.
:sad:

Now I have Nitro and he is getting old and skinny. I think he may have cancer. :sad:

I am NEVER getting another pet. :angry:

Aww, that's sad, Denise. It's so hard to lose them, I know what you mean.

I have a friend that raises GSD and has won schutzhund events with them. She has told me some pretty amazing stories about them, ditto with some relatives. They are just such smart and loyal dogs, one of the smartest, if I remember correctly.

flo
02-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Yes, I'm kidding....I don't like football! See my Saints post! Lol. I am allergic to cats now though, but I was not as a child...go figure! Last time I was around one my eyes almost swelled shut, and I couldn't stop sneezing.

Sometimes I'm a little dense when it comes to people kidding, Shawn. :ashamed: (I'm glad you were!)

Neezar
02-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Aww, that's sad, Denise. It's so hard to lose them, I know what you mean.

I have a friend that raises GSD and has won schutzhund events with them. She has told me some pretty amazing stories about them, ditto with some relatives. They are just such smart and loyal dogs, one of the smartest, if I remember correctly.

I would LOVE to have a shepard. (I know what i just said about never, lol). But I can't leave my dog outside. And I can't stand dog hair in the house. Nitro is a min pin mixed with rat terrior and doesn't shed much. He is fairly easy to clean after. I guess I could get a shepard and keep him shaved. :unsure-1:

surveyorshawn
02-12-2010, 04:06 AM
My grandfather had a collie named Rex. He taught Rex to bring in wood for the fireplace (one piece at a time, obviously), and to do all sorts of things. He had Rex for years (this was before I was born). After Rex got hit by a car, he never wanted any other pets, and my grandmother had a stern talk with him when we moved back to Mississippi when I was little in order for us to have a dog. I think he was really just trying to save us the pain he went through. For some reason, I guess because we lived way out in the country, people would dump their unwanted dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens out there and they would often find their way to our house. Of course we always wanted to keep them all!

flo
02-12-2010, 04:09 AM
I asked him why he didn't give her to one of his buddies who lives out in the country. He said he loves her too much. :blink:

:duh:

That's what I just cannot understand. How can he claim to "love" her yet keep her in a cage (not to mention the danger to his kids).

A wolf has a big territory, they can roam 50 miles in one day in search of food.

flo
02-12-2010, 04:13 AM
I would LOVE to have a shepard. (I know what i just said about never, lol). But I can't leave my dog outside. And I can't stand dog hair in the house. Nitro is a min pin mixed with rat terrior and doesn't shed much. He is fairly easy to clean after. I guess I could get a shepard and keep him shaved. :unsure-1:

I'd love to have one too (I'd sure feel more secure!). Our dogs don't shed much but they would just wag their tails at intruders. :ninja:

surveyorshawn
02-12-2010, 04:13 AM
That's what I just cannot understand. How can he claim to "love" her yet keep her in a cage (not to mention the danger to his kids).

A wolf has a big territory, they can roam 50 miles in one day in search of food.

In my own, personal opinion, you should not be allowed to keep normally wild animals without some sort of permit and enclosures that are inspected and approved to be sufficient for that kind of animals, like one that closely mirrors their normal natural environment. For example, in MS, you can't have deer in enclosures less than 300 acres.

flo
02-12-2010, 04:19 AM
My grandfather had a collie named Rex. He taught Rex to bring in wood for the fireplace (one piece at a time, obviously), and to do all sorts of things. He had Rex for years (this was before I was born). After Rex got hit by a car, he never wanted any other pets, and my grandmother had a stern talk with him when we moved back to Mississippi when I was little in order for us to have a dog. I think he was really just trying to save us the pain he went through. For some reason, I guess because we lived way out in the country, people would dump their unwanted dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens out there and they would often find their way to our house. Of course we always wanted to keep them all!

Bringing in firewood, that's amazing!

We got one of our two cats because someone dumped her off by our property, she's very sweet. That seems to happen a lot in the country; I figure people are either too stupid to realize a domesticated animal (esp. dogs) are going to have a very tough time trying to survive on their own or they just-don't-care. :sad:

In my own, personal opinion, you should not be allowed to keep normally wild animals without some sort of permit and enclosures that are inspected and approved to be sufficient for that kind of animals, like one that closely mirrors their normal natural environment. For example, in MS, you can't have deer in enclosures less than 300 acres.
Word.

Neezar
02-12-2010, 04:20 AM
I'd love to have one too (I'd sure feel more secure!). Our dogs don't shed much but they would just wag their tails at intruders. :ninja:

When I worked at the Sheriff's dept we had a K-9 shepard from Germany. He only followed German commands. I could go on for days about how smart and how cool this dog was! His name was Nutz. :laugh: He loved me dearly. I would see him about twice a week and hang out. I told his handler once that I didn't think he could 'sic' him on me. WRONG! He was totally loyal to his handler. I thought he would at least pause like he didn't WANT to do it. :unsure-1: Nope. They had different commands to hold prisoner or to actually make physical contact. He backed me up to a truck quickly snarling and gnashing his teeth. Scared me to death! However, when Rob told him to back off he went over to him and whimpered letting him know that he didn't like doing it. :cool: That made me feel a little better.

flo
02-12-2010, 04:55 AM
When I worked at the Sheriff's dept we had a K-9 shepard from Germany. He only followed German commands. I could go on for days about how smart and how cool this dog was! His name was Nutz. :laugh: He loved me dearly. I would see him about twice a week and hang out. I told his handler once that I didn't think he could 'sic' him on me. WRONG! He was totally loyal to his handler. I thought he would at least pause like he didn't WANT to do it. :unsure-1: Nope. They had different commands to hold prisoner or to actually make physical contact. He backed me up to a truck quickly snarling and gnashing his teeth. Scared me to death! However, when Rob told him to back off he went over to him and whimpered letting him know that he didn't like doing it. :cool: That made me feel a little better.

That *is* surprising, since he knew you!! brrrr, I would have been really scared too.

http://petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html GSDs are #3. Wow, poodles are #2, I didn't expect that.

My dogs are #44. Oh well, they excel in all other catagories. :happydancing:

Tyburn
02-12-2010, 12:53 PM
different kinds of birds:
love birds...parakeets
cockatiel
zebra finch
strawberry finch
some type of blue finch...
some type of yellow finch...

I love Birds also! :happydancing:

surveyorshawn
02-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot that when I was about 6 or 7 we had a calf named Red, because, well, she was red, lol. She wore a John Deere cap a lot. I used to have pics of her with it on, but don't know what happened to them. We had a ferret for a while too.
My ex wife and I kept up her dad's farm for him while we were going to junior college. He mostly had limousin cattle, but he had one old jersey cow. One year she had a bull calf that was born blind in one eye, and my ex kind of adopted him as a pet. He always walked in a circle in one direction because he was blind in the one eye, lol. One morning we were moving them from one field, across the driveway, through the holding pen, and into another field before going to her grandparents for a nice lunch, so we were in our nice clothes, as we thought it was going to be a simple task. Usually, though the jersey bull would only walk in circles, he would eventually find his way because his mother would keep bellowing at him until he finally made it through the gate to wherever she was. The problem that day was that there was a small pond in the holding pen. He made it across the driveway, through one field, and into the holding pen, but wound up in the pond and kept swimming in circles. He was in there for what seemed like 30 minutes swimming round and round, getting lower and lower in the water. My wife was about to have a fit, as was the old jersey cow, and I was kicking off my shoes and unbuttoning my shirt when he finally hit a shallow spot and made it out, lol. Needless to say we were a little late for lunch!

TexasRN
02-13-2010, 12:00 AM
I've had too many pets in my lifetime to name. I will list some of my all time faves though:

1)Sunshine. She was a Sheltie which looks like a miniature Collie. She was great. Loved her. She died of old age when I was 17.

2)Toby. He was a coon dog that belonged originally to my uncle Jack. When he couldn't hunt anymore Toby came to live with us. He was very protective and would have killed anyone trying to bother us kids. He was hit by a car and died when I was a teen.

3)El Gato. He was an old tom cat whose sole purpose in life was to catch mice on our farm in Missouri. He was huge and awesome. He loved to ride in the truck with us.

4)Joe. He is a chow mix who was abandoned and I took him in. He is the dumbest dog I've ever known. He kept falling off the deck when I first got him because he would forget it ended. Very sweet dog but I had to leave him in TX with the ex since I couldn't make him into an apartment dog.

5)Pickle. He was a cat I had after my son was born. He had opposable thumbs. They call them Hemingways. He was a beautiful cat and loved to play with my son when he was a baby. Pickle was bit by a snake and died but survived a dog attack and being run over.

6)Henry. He is my current dog. I rescued him from a neglectful owner ane he is verrrrry, verrrrrry grateful.

~Amy

Neezar
02-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot that when I was about 6 or 7 we had a calf named Red, because, well, she was red, lol. She wore a John Deere cap a lot. I used to have pics of her with it on, but don't know what happened to them. We had a ferret for a while too.
My ex wife and I kept up her dad's farm for him while we were going to junior college. He mostly had limousin cattle, but he had one old jersey cow. One year she had a bull calf that was born blind in one eye, and my ex kind of adopted him as a pet. He always walked in a circle in one direction because he was blind in the one eye, lol. One morning we were moving them from one field, across the driveway, through the holding pen, and into another field before going to her grandparents for a nice lunch, so we were in our nice clothes, as we thought it was going to be a simple task. Usually, though the jersey bull would only walk in circles, he would eventually find his way because his mother would keep bellowing at him until he finally made it through the gate to wherever she was. The problem that day was that there was a small pond in the holding pen. He made it across the driveway, through one field, and into the holding pen, but wound up in the pond and kept swimming in circles. He was in there for what seemed like 30 minutes swimming round and round, getting lower and lower in the water. My wife was about to have a fit, as was the old jersey cow, and I was kicking off my shoes and unbuttoning my shirt when he finally hit a shallow spot and made it out, lol. Needless to say we were a little late for lunch!

:laugh: Great story.