PDA

View Full Version : The Ordinary

Tyburn
02-02-2010, 08:58 PM
So I wish to share with you all a little lesson GOD taught me tonight.

Tuesday, Wednessday and Thursday I spend forty mins walking the mile too and from the gym. I have to walk through Lucheon Pass which at this time of year is pitch. Last week, everysingle day I would turn the bend into the pass and be mauled by this dog. The owner would stand a way off and unenthusiastically call its name to no avail.

I of course as many of you know am phobic of dogs...I do not like them, I certainly dont want them circling me or jumping up at me. I ignored it the first time, I ignored it the second time...the third time it happened I shouted "in Vinculis" at the dog and it went away. That was rather mean of me.

Anyway, tonight on my way too the gym I was picturing the scene on my return of bumping into this guy and his dog. I had decided he had used up his three chances, and this time I was going to approach the owner and give him a piece of my mind. I ran through the whole scenario in my mind.

As I was doing that, a thought popped into my head, out of nowhere, in the same vein as a whisper that comes when your feeling down has actually nothing to do with what you've encountered, so this thought was strangely odd. The thought was "supposing its not his dog?" I dont know why I thought that, but as these whispers do, you follow them, so the next thought was "Supposing its someone elses dog, and he is walking it for them because they can't" alright then so the next thought was "what impact would me giving a bollocking to that guy have?" followed by "he might not have any other time or place to walk the dog in" I came to the conclusion that if this was the case and I did as I planned, the guy might give up. That being the case, he would be upset, the owner would be inconvinienced, and the dogs long term health might suffer...whats more a bit of charitable giving might end because of me

So I decided that as that was a possibility, I wouldnt shout at him...Perhaps I could talk to him instead since it was becoming obvious we would see each other every day...i'd been mauled thrice by this dog, and was not hurt...what harm could the dog do again?

Happy with myself that I had talked myself out of something bad...I then had a further revelation

"Why would it be okay to do that to the dog walker if it was his dog...and yet not be okay to do it against someone performing a charitable act?"

Absolutely fascinating...because my reply was a dreadful embarissment to me...Charity I associate with goodness, with doing GODs will....if the person wasnt doing charity it didnt matter if I was mean and abusive to him.

We have this nasty habit of seeing GOD only in the extraordinary. Only in the obviousness of doing GODly work. BUT is not the dogwalker made in the image of GOD weather doing a charitable act or not? Since when did GOD say it was alright to be mean to someone not expressly doing his Will at the point of Encounter.

:unsure-1: What like GOD wouldnt know, and wouldnt care that I had been unduly mean to anyone :blink:

So during my time in the gym I was thinking about this non-stop, and it occured to me that, this was quite possibly a deliberate communique from the Lord...that maybe it had been him who had whispered that obscure and random possibility that led to a total rethink...and then an embarissing revelation about what I think its acceptable to be like towards someone who isnt obviously doing GODs will. I didnt feel very good in one respect, but I totally got it in another...it was strange how as I followed that line of thought all the enjoyment I was getting in my mind out of being mean to this stranger melted away into something which was all together more...loving I suppose...WHY must my first reaction be one of annoyance? Why couldnt I just have decided to embrace it as an opportunity to make a new friend?

Anyway, so then the return journey started, and I stopped off at the petrol station to see if I could lay hands on a cheap tea...and what was waiting for me :rolleyes: HOT CROSS BUNS :laugh: ahahahahahahahaa I am NOT kidding. I thanked GOD for the lesson that he is in the ordinary as well as the obviously extraordinary...and perhaps I should bear that in mind in future...thats when the second cooincodence dawned on me. I spoke in another thread of the Feast of Candle Mass...its one of those liturgical threads that noone ever responds to LOL...well we have a nasty habit as Christians to celebrate feast days like that on the nearest sunday...Candle Mass itself...is Today...Liturgically speaking tommorow started at sundown today...and what season do you think lies between Christmas and Easter (and infact then Easter and Kingdom) making up the MAJORITY of the whole liturgical callendar

its called "Ordinary time"

When I got to the pass it was empty, there was no sign of the dogwalker or his dog.

MattHughesRocks
02-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Bark! Bark! http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx230/EarthMama_photos/Smileys/SmileyDogHouse.gif

County Mike
02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
What are Hot Cross Buns? It sounds like something that will completely erase your time at the gym.

Maybe you could befriend the dog and this whole thing could help you overcome your phobia. Carry small dog treats and give one to the dog as he "mauls" you. Give him a friendly rub on the head and then continue on your way as the dog enjoys his treat.

Bonnie
02-03-2010, 05:21 PM
That's a very good idea, Mike. :)

Tyburn
02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
What are Hot Cross Buns?

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2065/buns.jpg (http://img535.imageshack.us/i/buns.jpg/)
:w00t:

CAVEMAN
02-05-2010, 07:50 PM
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2065/buns.jpg (http://img535.imageshack.us/i/buns.jpg/)
:w00t:
Those do look tasty!

Tyburn
02-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Those do look tasty!

they are...You are supposed to cut them in half and toast them...but you dont have to...they have a glazed serface but they arent sticky on top...and the cake is bread based...its more like a teacake then a cake... :)