PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow

J.B.
01-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I just read Sports Illustrated's mock draft and they are projecting Tim Tebow to go to the Arizona Cardinals in the late first round if Kurt Warner retires today as expected.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/01/28/mock.draft.3/index.html

Honestly, I am not sure that's gonna happen, and if it did I'm not really sure how I would feel about it.

What does everybody else think about Tebow? Where do you guys see him going?

Bonnie
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I just read about him, JB. He sounds pretty impressive. What are you balking at, his age? :unsure-1:

He's a big quarterback. Sounds like he can throw and run the ball. I think that could make things exciting.

billwilliams70
01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
I also saw something that someone's projecting him to go to New England....that they have the picks to play around with.

I also read that he could end up in Jacksonville (home town) just so they can put butts in the seats......

My big question is this. With as many 'technical deficiencies' Tebow has, how long do you think it will take for him to develop in the NFL? It took Aaron Rogers a bit in Green Bay. He HAS improved since Monday morning at Senior Bowl practice. But what will we see of him at the game? Miami's coaches will put him in a position to succeed and we may not really see how he'd do in a pro-style offense.

If Tebow is thrown to the wolves and expected to start at QB right away, I don't think he'll have a good rookie season, but if he's actually mentored and coached well.....I think he'll prove all of the people that said he'd fail wrong and do just fine.

Later.

matthughesfan21
01-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I just read about him, JB. He sounds pretty impressive. What are you balking at, his age? :unsure-1:

He's a big quarterback. Sounds like he can throw and run the ball. I think that could make things exciting.he's got all the signs of a great college QB, but nothing in the NFL...He isn't the typical pro style QB...His leadership is there, he can run, but the NFL is much faster, so that may not always be an option...His arm isn't there as much as other QB's in the league....I like Tebow, but I don't see him being that successful in the NFL

Bonnie
01-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I also saw something that someone's projecting him to go to New England....that they have the picks to play around with.

I also read that he could end up in Jacksonville (home town) just so they can put butts in the seats......

My big question is this. With as many 'technical deficiencies' Tebow has, how long do you think it will take for him to develop in the NFL? It took Aaron Rogers a bit in Green Bay. He HAS improved since Monday morning at Senior Bowl practice. But what will we see of him at the game? Miami's coaches will put him in a position to succeed and we may not really see how he'd do in a pro-style offense.

If Tebow is thrown to the wolves and expected to start at QB right away, I don't think he'll have a good rookie season, but if he's actually mentored and coached well.....I think he'll prove all of the people that said he'd fail wrong and do just fine.

Later.

Why all the naysayers? :unsure-1: He sounds "promising".

matthughesfan21
01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Why all the naysayers? :unsure-1: He sounds "promising".I like Tebow as I have already said...I've watched him play and he is an amazing college level QB, but the NFL is a whole different monster and he doesn't have the arm or the accuracy to make it at that position in the NFL unless he makes some improvements...He didn't look good at the senior bowl either which doesn't help the opinions..

You say he sounds promising because of everything he has done in college, that doesn't mean shyte in the NFL, plenty of great college players have been complete busts..I hope he can be successful, but I just don't really see it happening

billwilliams70
01-29-2010, 06:43 PM
I like Tebow as I have already said...I've watched him play and he is an amazing college level QB, but the NFL is a whole different monster and he doesn't have the arm or the accuracy to make it at that position in the NFL unless he makes some improvements...He didn't look good at the senior bowl either which doesn't help the opinions..

You say he sounds promising because of everything he has done in college, that doesn't mean shyte in the NFL, plenty of great college players have been complete busts..I hope he can be successful, but I just don't really see it happening
The Senior Bowl hasn't actually happened yet.

Tebow's first day of practice for the Senior Bowl was extremely difficult. He had to take snaps under center, read defenses & routes during the 3,5,7 drops and he had a difficult time doing so. He's since made improvements, but is still a risk to take early in the draft because of the areas that he needs to improve in. I feel that he will make those improvements though, but they're not gonna come overnight.

He is, in many eyes/minds/hearts, the greatest college player ever and you're right, that doesn't mean much in the NFL, but I think that it's his drive and determination to always do better that will make him an (eventual) success in the NFL, not an immediate or an overnight success, but in the long term, I think that he'll do fine.

I keep praying for him and will not speak negativity into his life.

Later.

matthughesfan21
01-29-2010, 06:49 PM
The Senior Bowl hasn't actually happened yet.

Tebow's first day of practice for the Senior Bowl was extremely difficult. He had to take snaps under center, read defenses & routes during the 3,5,7 drops and he had a difficult time doing so. He's since made improvements, but is still a risk to take early in the draft because of the areas that he needs to improve in. I feel that he will make those improvements though, but they're not gonna come overnight.

He is, in many eyes/minds/hearts, the greatest college player ever and you're right, that doesn't mean much in the NFL, but I think that it's his drive and determination to always do better that will make him an (eventual) success in the NFL, not an immediate or an overnight success, but in the long term, I think that he'll do fine.

I keep praying for him and will not speak negativity into his life.

Later.
I know it hasn't happened yet, i was referring to exactly what you just mentioned...I just don't think his style of play will fit into a pro style offense...If he went to a team that adopted an option style offense, he may have an easier team...Your right though, his work ethic and determination is outstanding, which leads me to believe that he will pick up and learn the pro style offense, but he still doesn't have the big arm to make those passes

billwilliams70
01-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I know it hasn't happened yet, i was referring to exactly what you just mentioned...I just don't think his style of play will fit into a pro style offense...If he went to a team that adopted an option style offense, he may have an easier team...Your right though, his work ethic and determination is outstanding, which leads me to believe that he will pick up and learn the pro style offense, but he still doesn't have the big arm to make those passes
True, he does lack the arm strength to throw the long ball, and that can't be taught. He's got enough to throw far enough though.

Later.

matthughesfan21
01-29-2010, 07:08 PM
True, he does lack the arm strength to throw the long ball, and that can't be taught. He's got enough to throw far enough though.

Later.
he can throw it far enough, yes...but on timing patterns and stuff, when you need to put some mustard on it to get it there before the DB jumps the route, I think he will be missing that velocity there...He needs work on his accuracy also

Rev
01-30-2010, 07:25 PM
I think he is going to do just fine as long as he goes to a hard nosed team that plays rough and tough football. No, he isnt a Manning or Brady, but he has gifts that niether Manning or Brady have. Alot of people want him to fail because he comes from Florida or he was great in college. I hope he goes to Jacksonville because with the type of ball they play and it being his home town, it should make for some intresting home games, and no I am not a Jaguars fan, but if he does go there, I might be.

To say that he doesnt have an arm, go look at some of his highlights, he can get it done. Just with some work on his form and release he can get alot more power for the long ball.

J.B.
01-30-2010, 07:51 PM
The thing I like about a guy like Tim Tebow is the "something to prove" factor. He has so many people that expect him to fail, it could be the driving force that makes him step up his game and prove all of them wrong.

However, I'm not sure I want him here in Arizona. I think there is too much of a learning curve when it comes to being a successful QB in the NFL, and I think that this is when the Cardinals need to rally around Matt Leinart and give him the confidence he needs to be the leader of this team. Drafting a QB in the first round, would not be a vote of confidence in Leinart and could ultimately backfire against us. We have a team that is on the verge of greatness and we need somebody who is ready to step up and take control. Like Tebow, Leinart also has something to prove, and I feel that after spending two seasons on the bench watching Kurt Warner, Matt is ready to step up and prove he can play at a high level.

No matter where Tebow ends up, he is going to have a lot on his plate. I agree with Bill, if he has to be a starter next year, he could be in for some problems. However, that's why we play the game, ya never really know. I hope Tebow does well though. He seems like a nice guy.

rockdawg21
01-30-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't know if they would pick him up considering they have Lienart. Granted, he hasn't done well, but he hasn't really been given a chance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't been given a full season to adjust to the NFL.

J.B.
01-30-2010, 08:34 PM
I don't know if they would pick him up considering they have Lienart. Granted, he hasn't done well, but he hasn't really been given a chance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't been given a full season to adjust to the NFL.

Matt had one and a half seasons as the starter, and then he got injured. Last season he competed for the starting job with Kurt in the pre-season, to whi Kurt got the job and took us to the Super Bowl. Then, when Kurt opted to come back for this season, Matt was made the backup. He seemed to take to it pretty well too, some guys would have wanted to get traded in that situation. I think Matt knew he could learn from Kurt after seeing how far we went last season. Matt even got a little experience in the playoffs this year, so I think he could be ready.

I do think that Matt still needs more time though, but I have faith in him. I'm also happy because I will be able to sport my Leinart jersey again :laugh:

wpnsman2000
02-10-2010, 05:59 AM
I think Tebow would do just fine in a West Coast style offense. Short accurate passes w/ an impressive running game. He would be perfect for the Carolina Panthers offense.

Chuck
02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Anything before a mid to late 3rd round would be a wasted pick. He's 2-3 years away from being a pro QB and should/would be a 3rd string QB on any team he signs with.

Most people think Jax would be the obvious choice purely to boost ticket sales.

He MIGHT get a shot at running a wildcat but personally I think his best shot at a pro career would be as a TE or FB.

matthughesfan21
02-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Anything before a mid to late 3rd round would be a wasted pick. He's 2-3 years away from being a pro QB and should/would be a 3rd string QB on any team he signs with.

Most people think Jax would be the obvious choice purely to boost ticket sales.

He MIGHT get a shot at running a wildcat but personally I think his best shot at a pro career would be as a TE or FB.completely agreed...He just isn't ready for a pro style offense yet, he can't take a snap from under center very well and judging from the senior bowl, his timing on the routes is a little shaky...and he doesn't have the arm to gun it into traffic...He could improve into a 2nd string or an average starter, but he is not going to be a pro bowler....TE could work but I don't know if he has enough height, what is he 6'2'' or 6'3''...most great tight ends nowadays are at least 6'5''...Vernon Davis is 6'3'' but he brings alot of athleticism to the table...Plus how good are tebow's hands?