PDA

View Full Version : CBS Reacts to Controversial Tebow Super Bowl Ad

billwilliams70
01-27-2010, 05:31 PM
CBS responded to complaints over a conservative group's planned Super Bowl ad featuring football star Tim Tebow by saying that it had eased restrictions on advocacy ads and would consider "responsibly produced" ones for open spots in its Feb. 7 broadcast.

Read the rest here. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/CBS-reacts-to-controversial-Tebow-Super-Bowl-ad-012610)

This is the kind of thing that's wrong.

I posted this here (in The Woodshed) because I didn't think it REALLY falls into the Christianity forum.

It's okay to have commercials during the Super Bowl of half naked girls and other things that may (or may not) 'offend' a viewer.....but when someone gives a real life account of a topic that's deemed controversial (and that real life account goes hand in hand with the FAITH of the person speaking) it's picked apart and frowned upon.

Later.

J.B.
01-27-2010, 05:38 PM
This is something I've almost come to expect nowadays. People can't handle a conservative point of view getting major national exposure. It makes the libtards extremely butthurt.

The real shocker in this is that doctors wanted Tim Tebow to be aborted. Those doctors must not have been Gators fans.

Vizion
01-27-2010, 05:40 PM
"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness....
Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!" Isaiah 5:20-21

flo
01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
This is something I've almost come to expect nowadays. People can't handle a conservative point of view getting major national exposure. It makes the libtards extremely butthurt.

LMAO!!! Good point. Actually, I'm glad to see a positive message about choosing life. O'Reilly had an excellent debate (for once) with a woman over this topic yesterday.

The coarsening of our society has been going on for a long time. I'm continually amazed at some of the shows/ads/promos aired during prime time - is there any angle left to exploit, any line not yet crossed? Tough to find the right balance between censorship and freedom of speech, isn't it?

No one has seen the specifics of this ad yet except for the people involved in making it and CBS; they all agree it is simply an uplifting, positive, non-political message.

I know you being humorous, JB, but I think you are spot on.

Shoots like a girl
01-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Right on!

rearnakedchoke
01-27-2010, 08:13 PM
As Christians, shouldn't we be prepared for this and know that it and worse is coming?

rearnakedchoke
01-27-2010, 08:14 PM

nevermind, i guess we are. LOL

Buzzard
01-27-2010, 09:12 PM
LMAO!!! Good point. Actually, I'm glad to see a positive message about choosing life. O'Reilly had an excellent debate (for once) with a woman over this topic yesterday.

The coarsening of our society has been going on for a long time. I'm continually amazed at some of the shows/ads/promos aired during prime time - is there any angle left to exploit, any line not yet crossed? Tough to find the right balance between censorship and freedom of speech, isn't it?

No one has seen the specifics of this ad yet except for the people involved in making it and CBS; they all agree it is simply an uplifting, positive, non-political message.

I know you being humorous, JB, but I think you are spot on.

It's not a freedom of speech issue at all. Though I am against abortion, I don't want to see a commercial about it during the Superbowl. I think CBS is looking for more "fun" type commercials to go along with the spirit of the game. I generally ignore the commercials most of the time anyway. Either way, it's their call as to what they decide to play on their network.

J.B.
01-27-2010, 09:23 PM
It's not a freedom of speech issue at all. Though I am against abortion, I don't want to see a commercial about it during the Superbowl. I think CBS is looking for more "fun" type commercials to go along with the spirit of the game. I generally ignore the commercials most of the time anyway. Either way, it's their call as to what they decide to play on their network.

CBS could give two craps about the spirit of the game. All they care about is the millions upon millions of dollars they generate in ad revenue from the Super Bowl.

She didn't say that it was a matter of CBS denying free speech, she was commenting on what I said about all the libtards getting butthurt over seeing a conservative talking point put in front of a huge national audience.

Also, two questions...

1. If you don't watch the commercials anyway, then why do you care if they play an ad against abortion?

2. Who the hell doesn't watch the commercials during the Super Bowl? That is basically the only time of the year you are supposed to watch commercials.

billwilliams70
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
As Christians, shouldn't we be prepared for this and know that it and worse is coming?
True, but that doesn't take away from my nature to let things like this irk me....Christian or not.
CBS could give two craps about the spirit of the game. All they care about is the millions upon millions of dollars they generate in ad revenue from the Super Bowl.

She didn't say that it was a matter of CBS denying free speech, she was commenting on what I said about all the libtards getting butthurt over seeing a conservative talking point put in front of a huge national audience.

Also, two questions...

1. If you don't watch the commercials anyway, then why do you care if they play an ad against abortion?

2. Who the hell doesn't watch the commercials during the Super Bowl? That is basically the only time of the year you are supposed to watch commercials.
VERY well said. If there was a Rep System in place, you'd definitely get some from me.

Later.

Rev
01-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I am not a Florida fan but I am a Tebow fan. I met him at the Jacksonville Pastor's conference 2 years ago and he is as real as can be. That dude anint scared of anything. He knows that saying the things that he says and doing the things he does for his faith could devistate him in the press, but he keeps swinging. War Tebow, I just hope he dont end up on some lame NFL team like the Raiders, Eagles, or Falcons.

J.B.
01-27-2010, 09:34 PM
I am not a Florida fan but I am a Tebow fan. I met him at the Jacksonville Pastor's conference 2 years ago and he is as real as can be. That dude anint scared of anything. He knows that saying the things that he says and doing the things he does for his faith could devistate him in the press, but he keeps swinging. War Tebow, I just hope he dont end up on some lame NFL team like the Raiders, Eagles, or Falcons.

I would love to see Tim Tebow come into the league guns blazing and prove all the critics wrong. He seems like a great guy.

However, if I were a GM he wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list come draft day.

bradwright
01-27-2010, 10:22 PM
while maybe on paper something like this may look good.... in practice i think it will be anti productive.
most of the people watching the super bowl will be males and of those a very high percentage will be drinking and any sort of message like this will be lost on them,they only want to be entertained,they really dont want to be preached to....i mean come on...it is the super bowl after all.

besides,this sort of thing is something PETA would do and although i agree with PETA on their message i disagree with the way they deliver it most times and for that reason i find it difficult to support them....i just hope the pro life people dont go that way as well.

J.B.
01-27-2010, 10:51 PM
while maybe on paper something like this may look good.... in practice i think it will be anti productive.
most of the people watching the super bowl will be males and of those a very high percentage will be drinking and any sort of message like this will be lost on them,they only want to be entertained,they really dont want to be preached to....i mean come on...it is the super bowl after all.

besides,this sort of thing is something PETA would do and although i agree with PETA on their message i disagree with the way they deliver it most times and for that reason i find it difficult to support them....i just hope the pro life people dont go that way as well.

Nah man, the Super Bowl this year will probably be watched by over 100 million people. It's not all fat sweaty drunk guys eating polish sausage and Doritos. There is a reason that ads cost like 2.5 million dollars for 30 seconds during that game.

I guarantee this ad will not be anything nearly as tasteless as the wackos from PETA would do.

bradwright
01-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Nah man, the Super Bowl this year will probably be watched by over 100 million people. It's not all fat sweaty drunk guys eating polish sausage and Doritos. There is a reason that ads cost like 2.5 million dollars for 30 seconds during that game.

I guarantee this ad will not be anything nearly as tasteless as the wackos from PETA would do.

so let me see if i understand what you are trying to say here...
its not all fat sweaty drunk guys like ME that watch the super bowl ?:unsure-1:
well if you came to my place to watch the game you might just leave with a whole new perspective.:wink::laugh::ninja:

rockdawg21
01-27-2010, 11:23 PM
I remember reading this on MSN the other day. I don't see how murder of the innocents and the defenseless is controversial.

bradwright
01-27-2010, 11:36 PM
I remember reading this on MSN the other day. I don't see how murder of the innocents and the defenseless is controversial.

thats it beat people with a stick until they see things your way...that should work real well.

flo
01-28-2010, 12:32 AM
VERY well said. If there was a Rep System in place, you'd definitely get some from me.

Later.

What Bill said. And thanks, JB.

J.B.
01-28-2010, 02:51 AM
so let me see if i understand what you are trying to say here...
its not all fat sweaty drunk guys like ME that watch the super bowl ?:unsure-1:
well if you came to my place to watch the game you might just leave with a whole new perspective.:wink::laugh::ninja:

I know what you are saying, but when you are talking about the Super Bowl it's completely different because there are so many more people watching. During the regular season, I would say about 75% of the fans you described are the ones tuning in. However, in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl, you get all the casual fans on board.

J.B.
01-28-2010, 02:52 AM
What Bill said. And thanks, JB.

no prob :wink:

J.B.
01-28-2010, 02:56 AM
thats it beat people with a stick until they see things your way...that should work real well.

When all else fails :wink:

Buzzard
01-28-2010, 03:22 AM

Also, two questions...

I said I generally don't watch them. If I do, I sure don't feel like watching a commercial about abortions during a football game. If I am watching TV during a meal time, I don't like tampon, diarrhea, or similar commercials on either. Commercial time is time for getting more food and drink and releasing the other food and drink. If I want to see one of the Superbowl commercials later, I can catch them on the 'net.

If it was only about money as you say, they would let anything in as long as it generated the revenue. Obviously, it is about content more than money.

J.B.
01-28-2010, 04:55 AM
I said I generally don't watch them. If I do, I sure don't feel like watching a commercial about abortions during a football game. If I am watching TV during a meal time, I don't like tampon, diarrhea, or similar commercials on either. Commercial time is time for getting more food and drink and releasing the other food and drink. If I want to see one of the Superbowl commercials later, I can catch them on the 'net.

If it was only about money as you say, they would let anything in as long as it generated the revenue. Obviously, it is about content more than money.

Just because they don't let ANYTHING on does NOT mean it's more about content than money. There are certain lines that networks cannot legally cross, and also certain lines that they choose not to cross because they don't want to risk controversy, such as this one. However, the bottom line is that the soul purpose that drives every single thing media outlets do is money.

You may not like tampon commercials, but if Tampax wants to cough up millions of dollars for ad-time during the Super Bowl they should be able to have their ad run. This ad may be pro-life, but I don't think it's going to be showing pictures of aborted fetuses on the screen or doing anything risque and tasteless. From what I have read, it is simply Tim Tebow's mom telling about how the doctors told her to abort Tim because she was sick when she was pregnant. Also, Tim Tebow is about to enter the NFL Draft, and it's the Super Bowl, so it actually has some connection to the sport of football.

VCURamFan
01-28-2010, 05:04 AM
As disappointed as I am with CBS for even lending an ear to the idea that they should pull the ad, I'm even sadder to say that I'm not shock to have heard that they are. It's an f-ed up society where we have beer commercials featuring a beer bottle & a sheef of wheat getting it on in the elevator, but it's too offensive to have a man speak about how turning down an abortion ended up being a positive thing.

Tyburn
01-29-2010, 07:51 PM
:applause:

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
all those who practice it have a good understanding.

:)

J.B.
02-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, they just ran the commercial and it was actually pretty cool. Tim Tebow tackles his mom and then gives her a hug. Nothing to get all butthurt about.

atomdanger
02-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Sex = Ok.
Offensive topics = Ok.
Pro Life = Not ok.

haha.

billwilliams70
02-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Well, they just ran the commercial and it was actually pretty cool. Tim Tebow tackles his mom and then gives her a hug. Nothing to get all butthurt about.
I know.....it wasn't preachy or anything.
Sex = Ok.
Offensive topics = Ok.
Pro Life = Not ok.

haha.
Exactly!

Later.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I didn't get to see it! I was hoping to find it online somewhere but ain't yet!