PDA

View Full Version : Per Thaigo...

Spiritwalker
02-14-2009, 03:28 AM
On Inside MMA tonight.

He told the UFC he had a hurt ankle.. and he told them he may not be able to make weight.. offered to walk on fight..

"The day before I passed out twice in the sauna"

Sure didn't look like he was trying that hard.. but maybe I am biased..

cheachea
02-14-2009, 03:53 AM
I hope he makes weight for the GSP fight.

Hughes_GOAT
02-14-2009, 04:04 AM
have GSP fight Silva at 97 if Alves can't make it. how bad could he have hurt his ankle? the fight is months out.

que
02-14-2009, 04:05 AM
i think he was talking about hurting his ankle before the hughes fight

Hughes_GOAT
02-14-2009, 04:06 AM
i hope so, hahaha

kyle
02-14-2009, 04:15 AM
i hope so, hahaha

He was

Link to his B.S.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13985/inside-mma-preview-thiago-alves-nearly-withdrew-from-ufc-85-main-event.mma

MattHughesRocks
02-14-2009, 04:27 AM
I'd be scared now if I were fighting GSP months out to!

have GSP fight Silva at 97 if Alves can't make it. how bad could he have hurt his ankle? the fight is months out.

Hughes_GOAT
02-14-2009, 04:37 AM
he shouldn't be...he's stronger than GSP and GSP won't have his Vaseline this time, LOL.

MattHughesRocks
02-14-2009, 04:57 AM
Stronger but no nearly as smart. GSP is one calculating mother f'er. He'll be good to go grease free.

he shouldn't be...he's stronger than GSP and GSP won't have his Vaseline this time, LOL.

Hughes_GOAT
02-14-2009, 05:14 AM
Stronger but no nearly as smart. GSP is one calculating mother f'er. He'll be good to go grease free.

:laugh: :tongue0011:

CHITOWNHUGHESFAN
02-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Actually GSP was always known for being a weak minded fighter with issues. Matt said and UFC always called him on it. It's been a issue. He is getting better now. That he is a yes and no guy with his trainers. But having no Vaseline might put him in negitive again:wacko: .

VCURamFan
02-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Actually GSP was always known for being a weak minded fighter with issues. Matt said and UFC always called him on it. It's been a issue. He is getting better now. That he is a yes and no guy with his trainers. But having no Vaseline might put him in negitive again:wacko: .I think there's a difference between intelligence & strength of will. I can be the dumbest guy in the world, but have a butt-load of confidence & never let you convince me that 2+2 does not, in fact, equal 5. By the same token, someone can be smart & a brilliant game-planner, but not have high enough self-esteem to do what he wants.

That being said, I personally believe that GSP has nothing to do with the gameplans. I give all that credit to Greg Jackson. The man is a genius MMA tactician!

billwilliams70
02-14-2009, 06:54 AM
On Inside MMA tonight.

He told the UFC he had a hurt ankle.. and he told them he may not be able to make weight.. offered to walk on fight..

I really hope that he makes weight for the GSP fight, but I really don't see any reason to bring up what happened with Thiago prior to his fight with Matt Hughes. That fight's long over, what's done is done.

Just my two lincolns.

Later.

bradwright
02-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I think there's a difference between intelligence & strength of will. I can be the dumbest guy in the world, but have a butt-load of confidence & never let you convince me that 2+2 does not, in fact, equal 5. By the same token, someone can be smart & a brilliant game-planner, but not have high enough self-esteem to do what he wants.

That being said, I personally believe that GSP has nothing to do with the gameplans. I give all that credit to Greg Jackson. The man is a genius MMA tactician!

you give all the credit to Jackson? ,,wow,,your hate really runs deep.

billythekid2000
02-14-2009, 03:08 PM
...he's stronger than GSP ..
He looks stronger but I doubt he is. Matt would have a good idea, since he has fought both.

Yeah, I agree. GSP is a robot. He'll exectue any gameplan that he's given - to perfection.

MMeh
02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Thiago has a chance if it stays standing, but GSP has a huge advantage if it goes to the ground. I'm thinking GSP by decision, Alves will be taken down at some point in each round, and I don't have much faith in his ability to get back up. Of course, he did show a marked improvement in TD defense against Koscheck (who for some reason tried to strike with him early) so you can't totally count him out.

Krupp
02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't know man. People forget that Koscheck took taht fight on two weeks notice. I think had he been preparing for Alves the entire time, he would've taken the fight. I honestly believe that.

With that said, since I dislike GSP and Alves both, here's to hoping that they both hit each other and knock each other out at the same time.

Spiritwalker
02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't know man. People forget that Koscheck took taht fight on two weeks notice. I think had he been preparing for Alves the entire time, he would've taken the fight. I honestly believe that.

With that said, since I dislike GSP and Alves both, here's to hoping that they both hit each other and knock each other out at the same time.

would just need Shoney Carter to ref the match...

Spiritwalker
02-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I really hope that he makes weight for the GSP fight, but I really don't see any reason to bring up what happened with Thiago prior to his fight with Matt Hughes. That fight's long over, what's done is done.

Just my two lincolns.

Later.

It was only 6 months ago. It was Matt's last fight.. and Thiago only beaten Koz since then.. And Koz is far down the ladder than Matt IMO.

Preach
02-14-2009, 03:59 PM
GSP is a Cheeeaadar

Spiritwalker
02-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Well at least he didn't QUIT.. after mouthing off about GSP being a quitter...

Preach
02-14-2009, 04:49 PM
:laugh: Well at least he didn't QUIT.. after mouthing off about GSP being a quitter...

VCURamFan
02-14-2009, 06:05 PM
you give all the credit to Jackson? ,,wow,,your hate really runs deep.Haha, you obviously know absolutely nothing about me! I don't hate GSP, I just don't love the comforting warmth of his nether regions like you do. I'm not saying tha GSP is a bad fighter or that he's an idiot, all I'm saying is that he's working with one of the best coaches in MMA. How is that hating?

See, it's scroto-philes like you that make me shy away from supporting GSP. You need to understand that there are more than huggers & haters out there. It is possible to question a fighter or give support to someone else without dispising them.

que
02-14-2009, 07:42 PM
GSP looks like a stick figure standing next to alves. alves is going to be stronger, faster, bigger, heavier, with huge KO power and incredible takedown defense and a full tank of gas. the dude is built like a 200lbs pitbull and is more hungry. GSP is going to get KTFO. his greasing and his wrestling won't save him this time.

Spiritwalker
02-14-2009, 07:51 PM
GSP looks like a stick figure standing next to alves. alves is going to be stronger, faster, bigger, heavier, with huge KO power and incredible takedown defense and a full tank of gas. the dude is built like a 200lbs pitbull and is more hungry. GSP is going to get KTFO. his greasing and his wrestling won't save him this time.

Sig Bet???

Spiritwalker
02-14-2009, 07:51 PM
See, it's scroto-philes like you that make me shy away from supporting GSP. You need to understand that there are more than huggers & haters out there. It is possible to question a fighter or give support to someone else without dispising them.

Sig Worthy!!

See, it's scroto-philes like you that make me shy away from supporting GSP.

que
02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Sig Bet???

yeah

bj44
02-14-2009, 08:28 PM
said the same thing about serra, fitch, and bj

what happen to them?

que
02-14-2009, 08:47 PM

what happen to them?

they got destroyed

but thiago is a different beast than all of them. would you not agree?

Chuck
02-14-2009, 08:49 PM

what happen to them?

Point!!!

Josh
02-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Thiago is huge but he will still end up on his back getting clobbered.

rockdawg21
02-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Well he sure seemed to have a lot of energy and intensity for a guy who passed out twice in the sauna. He's full of &$%!!!

billythekid2000
02-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Thiago will last fewer rounds than Fitch and BJ. GSP by TKO by the 3rd round.

Preach
02-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Thiago will last fewer rounds than Fitch and BJ. GSP by TKO by the 3rd round.
GSP by slip and slide

VCURamFan
02-15-2009, 03:50 AM
GSP by slip and slidehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9BzhQtm_CQ

que
02-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Thiago is huge but he will still end up on his back getting clobbered.

thiago was able to get off his back with hughes on top of him, what makes you think GSP can hold him down?

btw, he has gotten even better since that fight.

Josh
02-15-2009, 05:23 AM
thiago was able to get off his back with hughes on top of him, what makes you think GSP can hold him down?

btw, he has gotten even better since that fight.
GSP is bigger than Matt and also very strong. BJ is incredibly hard to hold down and GSP had no problem in that fight. I believe it was Fitch that had never had his guard passed before he fought GSP. Alves is really good I just don't think he will be much of a challenge. In a kickboxing match he would probably beat GSP but in MMA with a cage I doubt it.

billwilliams70
02-15-2009, 09:34 AM
It was only 6 months ago. It was Matt's last fight.. and Thiago only beaten Koz since then.. And Koz is far down the ladder than Matt IMO.
Those are apples and oranges though. Thiago beat Koscheck, Koscheck isn't as good as Matt Hughes, GSP has beaten them both and is soon to beat all three.

I don't really see the relevance in bringing up why Thiago didn't make weight......I don't think it has any bearing on his upcoming fight with GSP. I really hope that he takes this seriously enough to make the weight and makes a good fight out of it.

Later.

Spiritwalker
02-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Those are apples and oranges though. Thiago beat Koscheck, Koscheck isn't as good as Matt Hughes, GSP has beaten them both and is soon to beat all three.

I don't really see the relevance in bringing up why Thiago didn't make weight......I don't think it has any bearing on his upcoming fight with GSP. I really hope that he takes this seriously enough to make the weight and makes a good fight out of it.

Later.

Anytime you don't make a weight.. that's pretty relevant. It points to several things.. laziness, scared, distracted... many things....

And to not make weight for the biggest fight of your career. Against a HUGE FAN FAVORITE.... again. that's reason it's relevant.

And going back to the root.. Thaigo actually brought it up on Inside MMA. So if HE is still talking about it.. must be a little relevant. :wink:

billwilliams70
02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Anytime you don't make a weight.. that's pretty relevant. It points to several things.. laziness, scared, distracted... many things....

And to not make weight for the biggest fight of your career. Against a HUGE FAN FAVORITE.... again. that's reason it's relevant.

And going back to the root.. Thaigo actually brought it up on Inside MMA. So if HE is still talking about it.. must be a little relevant. :wink:
I understand the impact of not making weight, I understand what it points to....that's not my issue. Alves does not have an issue with making weight, in fact, I think the only match he's missed weight on was the Matt Hughes fight.....or it is a least the most publisized. Did Alves come in heavy against DeSouza, Hironaka, Lytle, and Parisyan? No. I've stated before that I really hope he takes this seriously by making weight, because I think that Alves' strength alone can pose some problems for GSP and it would be nice to see him tested.

With that said, I don't see GSP losing to Alves. GSP possess the unique ability to stick with a gameplan much better than just about any other fighter out there. That, coupled with his freakish talent and ability to continually develop a full skillset, I see it going past three rounds, but not going to a decision. I think that GSP will wear him down after three......and sub him. So, just my opinion, I think that Alves will come up short in his title shot (I can't spell it the way he {Alves} said it when he went into the Octagon after GSP's win over Penn....the ****'s come out).

To be honest with you, Alves himself bringing it up on Inside MMA really has no bearing on the matter for me, him not making weight for his fight with Matt Hughes has no relevence on his fight with GSP, it had no relevence on his fight with Koscheck either; whether he brought it up or not. Just becuase he said it doesn't make it relevant, it was something that he felt he needed to discuss, but it doesn't matter anymore... :wink: ...that's just my opinion.

But, rest assured, it's not the end of the world whether it's relevent or not.

Later.

Jeval
02-15-2009, 04:11 PM

I disagree. I think that GSP is faster and just as strong. GSP will take him down and totally dominate him on the ground. Without vaseline of course.

Tyburn
02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
On Inside MMA tonight.

:huh: is this a joke :mellow:

Tyburn
02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
I give all that credit to Greg Jackson.
The verdict is out on him at the moment. :ninja:

Tyburn
02-15-2009, 07:02 PM
scroto-philes
:laugh: not sure you should be entitled to use that word without giving up your man card :laugh:

Tyburn
02-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I understand the impact of not making weight, I understand what it points to....that's not my issue. Alves does not have an issue with making weight, in fact, I think the only match he's missed weight on was the Matt Hughes fight.....or it is a least the most publisized. Did Alves come in heavy against DeSouza, Hironaka, Lytle, and Parisyan? No. I've stated before that I really hope he takes this seriously by making weight, because I think that Alves' strength alone can pose some problems for GSP and it would be nice to see him tested.

With that said, I don't see GSP losing to Alves. GSP possess the unique ability to stick with a gameplan much better than just about any other fighter out there. That, coupled with his freakish talent and ability to continually develop a full skillset, I see it going past three rounds, but not going to a decision. I think that GSP will wear him down after three......and sub him. So, just my opinion, I think that Alves will come up short in his title shot (I can't spell it the way he {Alves} said it when he went into the Octagon after GSP's win over Penn....the ****'s come out).

To be honest with you, Alves himself bringing it up on Inside MMA really has no bearing on the matter for me, him not making weight for his fight with Matt Hughes has no relevence on his fight with GSP, it had no relevence on his fight with Koscheck either; whether he brought it up or not. Just becuase he said it doesn't make it relevant, it was something that he felt he needed to discuss, but it doesn't matter anymore... :wink: ...that's just my opinion.

But, rest assured, it's not the end of the world whether it's relevent or not.

Later.
that might be the longest post I have EVER seen from you Mr Williams :w00t:

VCURamFan
02-15-2009, 09:48 PM
The verdict is out on him at the moment. :ninja: Really? Just because of the greasing? That doesn't have anything to do with his ability to gameplan a fight. Even if he did tell GSP to grease, the gameplan was still sound. Even if he did commission the (shudder) nipple tweak, he still did a fantastic job of training Rashad for his fights.

I have a tendency to root against his fighters for various reasons, but I've got a lot of respect for Greg.

:laugh: not sure you should be entitled to use that word without giving up your man card :laugh:What, straight guys aren't allowed to have eclectic & varried vocavularies?:punch:

Tyburn
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
1) Really? Just because of the greasing? That doesn't have anything to do with his ability to gameplan a fight. Even if he did tell GSP to grease, the gameplan was still sound. Even if he did commission the (shudder) nipple tweak, he still did a fantastic job of training Rashad for his fights.

I have a tendency to root against his fighters for various reasons, but I've got a lot of respect for Greg.

2) What, straight guys aren't allowed to have eclectic & varried vocavularies?:punch:
1) I'm not sure about him yet. Dont worry with trainers it takes my assessment much longer, I'm only just in favour of Matt Hume :laugh:

2) and I think you should put that in your siggie :w00t:

GroundNPound
02-16-2009, 02:13 PM

I doubt he's stronger.

billwilliams70
02-17-2009, 10:25 AM
that might be the longest post I have EVER seen from you Mr Williams :w00t:
I will try and post longer messages in the coming days. Until then, I shall remain......:ninja:

Thank you for paying attention Mr. Tyburn.

Later.

Crisco
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Just have to laugh bro.

I just laugh at anyone who thinks a little vaseline made the difference in any of GSP's fights.

BJ GOT ****ING WRECKED.

Bottom line. GSP could have warn a sandpaper coat around his body and Penn would still been killed.

/endrant.

Thiago won't make weight I'm calling it

EDIT: I'll add that it was cheating but it didn't make a difference in the fights. GSP should be punished maybe by a fine or something

Tyburn
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Thank you for paying attention Mr. Tyburn.

:laugh: not a lot gets past me :ninja:

County Mike
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Just have to laugh bro.

I just laugh at anyone who thinks a little vaseline made the difference in any of GSP's fights.

BJ GOT ****ING WRECKED.

Bottom line. GSP could have warn a sandpaper coat around his body and Penn would still been killed.

/endrant.

Thiago won't make weight I'm calling it

I laugh at almost all of Que's posts. If I had to pick one person on this board who I thought was the opposite of me (at least in opinions) it would be him.

Crisco: You going to A.C. for Ring of Combat? I saw that at least one of Serra's boys was fighting. I'll be in the Pocono's skiing though so I can't make it.

Crisco
02-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I laugh at almost all of Que's posts. If I had to pick one person on this board who I thought was the opposite of me (at least in opinions) it would be him.

Crisco: You going to A.C. for Ring of Combat? I saw that at least one of Serra's boys was fighting. I'll be in the Pocono's skiing though so I can't make it.

I was thinking about going. I was helping a guy get ready. Tank I think was his name he came up from N. Carolina and was trainign with us a couple days early. I wanted to go down but I'm a bit strapped for cash atm saving for a car. I think if time fights Ray mercer I'll go down though. Hit the Casinos and what not while I'm down

bradwright
02-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Haha, you obviously know absolutely nothing about me! I don't hate GSP, I just don't love the comforting warmth of his nether regions like you do. I'm not saying tha GSP is a bad fighter or that he's an idiot, all I'm saying is that he's working with one of the best coaches in MMA. How is that hating?

really?i think i hit pretty close to home or you wouldn't have come out guns blazing,,
but thats okay,,hate away,,:)

County Mike
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
I was thinking about going. I was helping a guy get ready. Tank I think was his name he came up from N. Carolina and was trainign with us a couple days early. I wanted to go down but I'm a bit strapped for cash atm saving for a car. I think if time fights Ray mercer I'll go down though. Hit the Casinos and what not while I'm down

That's cool. Good luck with the car hunt. Let me know if you attend the Sylvia/Mercer fiasco. Maybe we'll get to meet up in AC. Remind me what promotion is trying to make that fight. Who knows? We may end up having someone on the same card.

Crisco
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
That's cool. Good luck with the car hunt. Let me know if you attend the Sylvia/Mercer fiasco. Maybe we'll get to meet up in AC. Remind me what promotion is trying to make that fight. Who knows? We may end up having someone on the same card.

I believe it's adrenaline...

May 30th is the rumour.

Hughes_GOAT
02-18-2009, 02:10 AM
I doubt he's stronger.

i guess someone should ask Matt who is stronger?

GroundNPound
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
i guess someone should ask Matt who is stronger?

Yeah, someone ask Matt. I'm not saying alves isn't just as strong as GSP, I just doubt he's any stronger after seeing GSP's training sessions. I used to think Matt was hercules until that 3rd GSP fight....I couldn't believe what I was watching. I'm sure Matt is still the strongest in the weight room though.

billythekid2000
02-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Well, there are different types of strength. Guys like GSP, Matt, Kos have strength developed from years of wrestling, weight-room, farm work plus natural strength.

Alves does not have that kind of background and was not known for being especially strong until his recent late-life growth spurt. So his strength is a bit more suspect and and I don't think it translates well to MMA and in particular, grappling.

We will see, and yeah Matt would know who is stronger.

CAVEMAN
02-18-2009, 08:37 PM
I'll be very surprised of 2 things when it comes to the GSP/Alves fight:

1) Alves actually makes weight

2) Alves makes it to the 3rd round.

I really don't see Alves posing a threat to GSP at all.

Crisco
02-18-2009, 08:41 PM
I'll be very surprised of 2 things when it comes to the GSP/Alves fight:

1) Alves actually makes weight

2) Alves makes it to the 3rd round.

I really don't see Alves posing a threat to GSP at all.

I agree with all of your points.

2) depends on whether Jackson wants GSP to take Alves into deep water to make the big boy easier pick ins

Chuck
02-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Not only will GSP win... but his focus will be to finish him... I'm predicting on his feet... 3rd round..

lc87
02-19-2009, 02:06 AM
As much as it hurts me to root for either since they both beat matt id like to gsp lose just because of the whole grease thing. Then hope he loses to fitch. I like fitch because he seams like a cool guy. Hard worker not really the natural athlete but one who alwyays works his tail off.