PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather vs Mosley

J.B.
01-19-2010, 09:00 PM
The latest news in the world of the sweet science is something that has been over 10 years in the making, and looks to be close to being finalized (but we know how that goes, right? :rolleyes:)

Due to the recent earthquake in Haiti, Andre Berto has pulled out of his fight with Shane Mosley next weekend citing the emotional stress that has come on after losing 8 family members from the disaster in his homeland. In turn, that has opened the door for a Welterweight showdown between two top P4P fighters, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley.

Nothing is final yet, but after watching the Manny/Floyd debacle unfold, I find it hard to believe that Floyd and Golden Boy are gonna find a way to screw this up. For Floyd, it's simple. Either he fights Mosley now, or the cynics and analysts will tear him to shreds. Also, if he is still planning on a fight with Pacquiao down the road, a victory over Sugar Shane would put the spotlight back on Mayweather and away from Pacquiao. Especially if Pacquiao is anything less than completely dominant over Clottey.

For Golden Boy, it's even simpler. This is a win/win situation. If Floyd wins, then they will use it as posturing for Floyd when going back to the table with the Pacquiao team, and if Mosley wins then they get to push for a Mosley vs Pacquiao fight where they would actually make a bigger percentage of the profits because they have Shane under contract. Also, GBP makes a small percentage of every Pacquiao fight anyway so, no matter what happens, Oscar gets to kick back and count even more money (I just hope he doesn't do that in a wig and fishnets stockings).

Schaefer has asserted that both men have agreed to fight, although nothing is signed yet. It is also being widely reported that Floyd WILL ask for the random style Olympic blood testing and that Shane has agreed to fully comply.

All I can say is, I HOPE THIS HAPPENS. There are no excuses for either fighter this time and they are both in need of a fight right now. Let's get it on! :punch:

rockdawg21
01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Would love to see it, but I don't think it will happen, that's all I have to say on the subject. If I'm wrong, then you can rub it in my face :laugh:

J.B.
01-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Would love to see it, but I don't think it will happen, that's all I have to say on the subject. If I'm wrong, then you can rub it in my face :laugh:

Of course you don't think it will happen, because you know that if it does then it's another hole in your sinking ship of arguments that try to label Mayweather as a coward. :laugh:

If it doesn't happen, and Floyd goes on to fight some other lesser fighter, then I will criticize him for it. Like I said, Floyd knows that now with Berto out of the picture, anything less than a fight against Mosley will make him look bad. The timing of everything is perfect for both fighters and there is no reason this fight cannot be made, unlike in the past when both sides have looked to other fights instead of each other for various reasons.

From a business standpoint, this fight will be easy to make. Both GBP and Mayweather want to one up Bob Arum, and this fight does just that. I mean, I know I won't be seeing any threads entitled "Mayweather vs Mosley Who Really Cares?". However, many people will be asking that very question about Pacquiao's fight with Clottey just because they don't know anything about Clottey, and because Pac already dismantled the guy who beat Clottey.

logrus
01-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Id love to see this fight happen, but if Mayweather made such a cryfest out of someone who never tested positive for a steroid, whats he going to do with Mosely demand a test every other hour?

Sugar knocks Floyd out P E R I O D

rockdawg21
01-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Of course you don't think it will happen, because you know that if it does then it's another hole in your sinking ship of arguments that try to label Mayweather as a coward. :laugh:

If it doesn't happen, and Floyd goes on to fight some other lesser fighter, then I will criticize him for it. Like I said, Floyd knows that now with Berto out of the picture, anything less than a fight against Mosley will make him look bad. The timing of everything is perfect for both fighters and there is no reason this fight cannot be made, unlike in the past when both sides have looked to other fights instead of each other for various reasons.
I just don't think it will happen because Floyd (ever since coming to the welterweight division) has made a habit of not fighting the #1 contender for various reasons. Mosley isn't the #1 contender (I don't think?), but it's pretty tough to discern who is and isn't the best welterweight out there right now, as there are some really badass dudes in that weight class!

So, to make an edit of your question, "Will you still believe Floyd is [not] :wink: afraid to fight a top welterweight if they make the fight with Mosley this year?" :laugh:

From a business standpoint, this fight will be easy to make. Both GBP and Mayweather want to one up Bob Arum, and this fight does just that. I mean, I know I won't be seeing any threads entitled "Mayweather vs Mosley Who Really Cares?". However, many people will be asking that very question about Pacquiao's fight with Clottey just because they don't know anything about Clottey, and because Pac already dismantled the guy who beat Clottey.Yes, it's easy to make, hope it gets done!

Sugar Shane said he will agree to the testing and that he believes testing should be stricter. Sugar Shane is a Golden Boy fighter, and GBP has already said publicly that they will be requesting this type of testing for all it's fights. Didn't realize this. Anyways, so now they agree, what great harmony! :D

J.B.
01-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Id love to see this fight happen, but if Mayweather made such a cryfest out of someone who never tested positive for a steroid, whats he going to do with Mosely demand a test every other hour?

Sugar knocks Floyd out P E R I O D

Sugar Shane said he will agree to the testing and that he believes testing should be stricter. Sugar Shane is a Golden Boy fighter, and GBP has already said publicly that they will be requesting this type of testing for all it's fights.

I know that this is inconceivable to, and usually ignored by, the haters, but the plain and simple fact is that Floyd is not the one who turned the whole testing issue into a circus. That was Manny Pacquiao and Bob Arum.

They asked for the tests in the beginning and there was no problem. It was a whole TWO WEEKS before Pacquiao made a big stink about not wanting to give blood. During that whole two weeks, the boxing world pretty much thought this fight was a DONE DEAL. Which is another cannonball right through the side of the USS Pac-Tard and it's logic that had Pac agreed to the testing Floyd would have found another way out of the fight. No matter how you try to spin it, Pacquiao balked on the testing for no good reason. If Floyd was full of crap, Pacquiao should have called his bluff. Pacquiao acted like an idiot and Bob Arum was just waiting to pull the plug on this fight because he don't want to take the chance of Floyd beating his cash cow.

BTW -You can lose that Fitzgerald sig, the Cards lost. Unless you want to keep it, in which case I would understand. :laugh:

J.B.
01-20-2010, 12:59 AM
I just don't think it will happen because Floyd (ever since coming to the welterweight division) has made a habit of not fighting the #1 contender for various reasons. Mosley isn't the #1 contender (I don't think?), but it's pretty tough to discern who is and isn't the best welterweight out there right now, as there are some really badass dudes in that weight class!

So, to make an edit of your question, "Will you still believe Floyd is [not] :wink: afraid to fight a top welterweight if they make the fight with Mosley this year?" :laugh:

Yes, it's easy to make. I just wonder how Schaefer is going to justify Mosley not taking the random drug testing when Mayweather demands it. Ironic, considering Schaefer said in 2008 that the NSAC's testing methods are just fine and Mosley will not do anything more, yet, when it comes to Pac, it's different. This time, if Mayweather demands it, Schaefer is going to be in a real pickle trying to justify himself. :laugh: At the very least, Mosley HAS actually tested for drugs in the past and that's been one of Mayweather's reasons for refusing a fight with Mosley, so now what? Hypocrisy cometh! :rolleyes:

Floyd has fought top competition throughout his career and a myriad of other things has kept him from seeing fights with certain names JUST LIKE ALL FIGHTERS. You are quick to say it's always Floyd's fault, but you ignore the fact that Bob Arum was a huge part that fights with Margarito, Cotto, and Pacquiao didn't happen. It's always Floyd's fault, but the haters never look at the other side of the coin

Mosley is the top welterweight right now behind Pac and Floyd, hands down. He has the best resume and is the biggest name. Cotto is still up there, but he has taken a big hit recently and needs to get back into better form before taking any superfight again. Berto will get his shot later this year after he is ready to return to Boxing.

Still, I guess you missed what I said in the very first post. MOSLEY WILL TAKE THE TESTS, and Golden Boy already made a public statement that all their fights will require this testing. If Golden Boy lies, that's their problem, but Floyd's side also said he would be asking for this testing for the rest of his career. So if they don't do it, I will call them out on it.

TRUTH.:cool:

rockdawg21
01-20-2010, 01:02 AM
So, in other words, you won't believe that Floyd is afraid to fight a top welterweight? I already knew that :laugh:

Yeah, I missed that part about Mosley already agreeing to the tests. I made an edit on my post, but you're faster that Larry Fitzgerald with the replies :wink:

J.B.
01-20-2010, 01:15 AM
So, in other words, you won't believe that Floyd is afraid to fight a top welterweight? I already knew that :laugh:

Yeah, I missed that part about Mosley already agreeing to the tests. I made an edit on my post, but you're faster that Larry Fitzgerald with the replies :wink:

I don't like the idea of anybody sitting on a keyboard or a microphone who has never been a professional fighter calling them cowards. That's just not my style. I don't think any of these men are afraid to fight each other, however I do believe that there is a lot of behind the scenes things we don't always know about. A lot of it has to do with Promoters getting in the way.Plus there is timing. The s**t is complicated, lol

However, Floyd's position is unique and this is the time for him to answer any questions. The biggest money fights ARE the top competition at this point, and if he were to go on to fight lesser opponents, then yes, I would definitely question his decision making.

rockdawg21
01-20-2010, 01:28 AM
I respect that viewpoint :happy0159:

Hope it happens, it would be the biggest fight of the year!

WAR MOSLEY!!!! :punch:

rockdawg21
01-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Haha, just reading about Brock Lesnar on Yahoo News and they had this snippet in the article:

Yet another potential change could be the date of UFC 113, currently slated for May 1 in Montreal. If Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley sign for a fight on May 1, as has been talked about since the Mosley vs. Andre Berto fight scheduled for Jan. 30 fell apart, White said UFC would look to change its Bell Centre date to May 8 to avoid a head-to-head battle against what would likely be the biggest boxing match of the first half of 2010.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ufcdecisions011910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Good idea Dana, you would be OWNED on that night! :laugh:

J.B.
01-20-2010, 01:47 AM
I respect that viewpoint :happy0159:

Hope it happens, it would be the biggest fight of the year!

WAR MOSLEY!!!! :punch:

mos def :cool:

I've made it clear that I am not a big Mosley fan, and it has nothing to do with any of the jib-jab between him and Floyd. So I do hope Floyd wins if they fight, and I honestly see him being able to slip most of Mosley's game and get a decision with a SLIM chance of late round stoppage. However, I do respect Mosley's skills and accomplishments and he is definitely a Hall of Famer who posses a serious threat to ANY fighter he steps in the ring with. I could see this fight going down a number of different ways, so I am not placing any bets, but my gut definitely tells me Mayweather will win by decision. Mosely could always land something clean that does the job, but Floyd does have a pretty well tested chin over the years, at least against the ones who have been able to hit him, lol.

logrus
01-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Sugar Shane said he will agree to the testing and that he believes testing should be stricter. Sugar Shane is a Golden Boy fighter, and GBP has already said publicly that they will be requesting this type of testing for all it's fights.

I know that this is inconceivable to, and usually ignored by, the haters, but the plain and simple fact is that Floyd is not the one who turned the whole testing issue into a circus. That was Manny Pacquiao and Bob Arum.

They asked for the tests in the beginning and there was no problem. It was a whole TWO WEEKS before Pacquiao made a big stink about not wanting to give blood. During that whole two weeks, the boxing world pretty much thought this fight was a DONE DEAL. Which is another cannonball right through the side of the USS Pac-Tard and it's logic that had Pac agreed to the testing Floyd would have found another way out of the fight. No matter how you try to spin it, Pacquiao balked on the testing for no good reason. If Floyd was full of crap, Pacquiao should have called his bluff. Pacquiao acted like an idiot and Bob Arum was just waiting to pull the plug on this fight because he don't want to take the chance of Floyd beating his cash cow.

BTW -You can lose that Fitzgerald sig, the Cards lost. Unless you want to keep it, in which case I would understand. :laugh:

Well Sugar already shot his own two feet off, to deny testing would be an even stupider move. Besides I think its funnier he agreed to stricter testing, then again hes already been busted.

I blame Arum more then Pac, but I blame Floyds camp even more.

Ehhh, I need to find a new sig and am to lazy. Maybe i'll go do that now lol.

rockdawg21
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Looks like this may be a go. Mosley has signed, still waiting on Mayweather. However, we did see Pac sign previously, then Mayweather fire back with more demands. This should be much easier to make though as they are both dealing with GBP.

#2 vs. #3, there's only 1 fight better than that! This will be an awesome fight!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4870999
Updated: January 30, 2010, 8:30 AM ET
Mosley, Mayweather reach terms

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have agreed to terms for a welterweight super fight, Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe said Friday. Later Friday, Mosley signed his contract in Las Vegas, Mosley's attorney Judd Burstein told ESPN.com.

"Shane has signed. I sat with him [Friday] and we went through every provision of the contract and he signed," Burstein said. "He is excited to move forward with the bout."

Mosley will defend his welterweight title against Mayweather on May 1 on HBO PPV at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Mayweather's signature is a formality, according to Burstein and Ellerbe.

"I confirmed with Leonard [on Friday night] that there are no issues," Burstein said.

"All of the deal points have been agreed to," Ellerbe said. "We still have to put pen to paper, but everything is agreed to. It's with the lawyers. Shane is a great fighter, one of the best of his era, and so is Floyd. It's going to be a great fight. It's a fight fans have wanted to see for a long time."

Ellerbe said that he expected Mayweather's paperwork to be completed in the next few days with a formal announcement likely next week.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but Mayweather has the option for an immediate rematch in the event he loses.

The fight came together after an unexpected turn of events.

First, Mayweather became available for a fight three weeks ago when negotiations with pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao disintegrated. They had agreed to all terms for a March 13 fight that loomed as the biggest in boxing -- except for a drug testing protocol.

They had agreed to random urine testing, but Mayweather also wanted random blood testing, even though that is not required under the rules of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Pacquiao agreed only to three blood tests, but none within 24 days of the fight, and the third one immediately after the bout.

Mayweather has alluded to Pacquiao using performance-enhancing drugs, even though he has never produced any evidence, and Floyd Mayweather Sr. has outright said he believes Pacquiao uses.

The rancor over the drug testing issue caused the fight to fall apart and Pacquiao moved on. He will defend his version of the 147-pound title against former titlist Joshua Clottey on March 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Then Mosley became available two weeks ago. He was scheduled to meet Andre Berto in a title unification bout at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas on Saturday night. However, Berto, a Haitian-American, withdrew from the bout after eight members of his extended family were killed in the earthquake in Haiti.

Immediately after the cancellation of Mosley-Berto, Mosley and Mayweather -- the former welterweight champ and pound-for-pound king until giving up the mantle during a brief retirement -- began negotiating.

"The negotiations were very cordial and went very smoothly," Ellerbe said.

Mosley has agreed to undergo random blood and urine testing, as has Mayweather, Ellerbe said.

Mosley has admitted to using PEDs and was connected to the BALCO scandal. Although he publicly denied using PEDs for years, Mosley admitted during grand jury testimony, which was later released, that he used designer steroids "the clear" and "the cream" and injected himself with EPO, a blood oxygen enhancer, during the lead-up to his 2003 rematch with Oscar De La Hoya. Mosley said he took the steroids unknowingly.

"Floyd only wants to be sure of an even playing field no matter who he fights," Ellerbe said.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs), a five-division champion, and Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), a three-division champion, have seemingly been on a collision course since the late 1990s, when Mosley was lightweight champion and Mayweather was junior lightweight champion.

Although their careers took different paths, talk of a potential fight heated back up in 2006 after Mosley's two knockouts of Fernando Vargas, but talks never got too serious.

However, Mosley stepped up his call for a fight with Mayweather, 32, last year after Mayweather ended his 18-month retirement. After Mayweather easily beat lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez in a lopsided decision in September, Mosley crashed his post-fight interview in the ring and called him out to his face.

It didn't look like Mosley would get the fight because two months later, Pacquiao knocked out Miguel Cotto and talks began for Pacquiao-Mayweather.

Mosley, 38, hasn't fought since last January, when he upset Antonio Margarito to win his title via ninth-round knockout.

J.B.
01-30-2010, 02:15 PM
This fight is happening and there will be a press conference in the next few days. They already have fighters lined up for the under-card as well. It's been known for over a week now that this was a done deal. The only reason they are waiting for Floyd to sign it is because they have not brought him the actual paperwork yet.

You can't spin the facts bro, Pac may have signed some rough draft of the contract that his side drew up, but he didn't sign anything that was drawn up by both sides, otherwise we would be talking about Pac vs Floyd in March.

Manny's side knew for 2 weeks behind closed doors that the drug testing was requested, and at one point during those 2 weeks Freddie Roach even said that they agreed to the tests. Then, out of nowhere, Arum and Roach changed their tune and said they would not take random testing and started contradicting themselves left and right. Floyd never knew Manny would turn down the testing and for 2 weeks everything appeared to be good to go. Also, he agreed to all the requests from Team Pacquiao, so this notion that Floyd made up the testing to get out of the fight is ridiculous.

This will be a great fight though, definitely a pick em'.

rearnakedchoke
01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
I think this fight will be a tougher match up for mayweather than pac man .. i think mayweather beats them both, but this is definitely the tougher match-up ...

J.B.
02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
The past two days have been LOL in the boxing community...

Schaefer came out yesterday and said they were still waiting on Floyd to sign the contract, and he even hinted that he was worried the fight could be in jeopardy. Of course, that fueled about a million useless threads on boxing forums, and more rampant mudslinging from the haters claiming Floyd is scared of Shane and he would pull out of the fight.

I honestly sat back and laughed as I read some of the things people said, because never in the history of boxing can I recall a time when people (myself included) were so informed and/or misinformed about contact negotiations for a fight. Back in the day, before the web, that information was never readily accessible to the casual fans. The only way you found out about the behind the scenes stuff like that was to read magazines like The Ring. Now, there are literally hundreds and thousands of e-journalists who are relatively new to the sport flooding it with stale opinions and misleading headlines.

All the nonsense aside, Floyd HAS signed the contract and they can begin promoting this weekend during the Super Bowl festivities.

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/02/03/the-fights-on-floyd-mayweather-has-signed-to-face-shane-mosley/

rockdawg21
02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I thought it was kinda funny myself. Almost posted an article last night and said, "That's stupid." Besides, the announcement last week was that the fight would be signed this week. It was only Tuesday and everybody was making a big mess of it, lol

J.B.
02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I thought it was kinda funny myself. Almost posted an article last night and said, "That's stupid." Besides, the announcement last week was that the fight would be signed this week. It was only Tuesday and everybody was making a big mess of it, lol

Also, Floyd had already done a radio interview on Sunday or Monday where he confirmed they were fighting on May 1st and that him and Shane would be going down to Miami for the Super Bowl to promote it.

You know when Michael Marley is telling people to relax and not taking cheap shots at Floyd that people are being ridiculous. :laugh:

I think people believe there is a closer relationship between Floyd and GBP than there actually is. As if this fight is somehow "in-house" because Floyd has used them in the past. Schaefer was quick to toss Floyd under the bus by making those comments yesterday, although it could have just been another part of the hype job, who knows.

J.B.
02-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Chris Mannix from Sports Illustrated is saying that there is NOT a rematch clause as previously reported.

Contrary to reports, there is no automatic rematch clause for either fighter in the contract.

http://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI

Rev
02-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Mayweather will not ko Shane, he might put him to sleep because he runs and plays hide-n-seek, but I doubt he will knock him out.
Untill he fights Pacman, I dont care what he does, and I'm sure most fans feel the same way.

J.B.
02-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Mayweather will not ko Shane, he might put him to sleep because he runs and plays hide-n-seek, but I doubt he will knock him out.
Untill he fights Pacman, I dont care what he does, and I'm sure most fans feel the same way.

Actually most boxing fans disagree. This is a classic fight that has been a decade in the making.

rockdawg21
02-04-2010, 03:19 AM
Nah, this is BIG! Pac has an excellent chance of beating Clottey (especially with Clottey's trainers not being allowed to enter the U.S. :angry:).

Winner of this fights Pac (if a damn deal can get worked!) and it becomes absolute legend in boxing!

This is a great year for boxing :)

J.B.
02-04-2010, 03:31 AM
Nah, this is BIG! Pac has an excellent chance of beating Clottey (especially with Clottey's trainers not being allowed to enter the U.S. :angry:).

Winner of this fights Pac (if a damn deal can get worked!) and it becomes absolute legend in boxing!

This is a great year for boxing :)

My opinion would be that Clottey has a small chance of beating Pac. I respect Clottey, but he is basically being fed to Manny by Arum, and it's not like Clottey cares because he is getting a shot at the biggest payday of his life, so he has nothing to lose. Clottey is strong, but he is flat-footed and I think Pac will probably end up stopping him with or without his trainers from Ghana, but ya never know.

Pac has a lot more to lose against Clottey than Floyd or Shane have in losing to each other, so watching how this all plays out will be interesting. All 3 of the men are Hall of Fame candidates no matter what, but whoever comes out on top of 2010 will be making their case for the All Time Great's list.

Rev
02-04-2010, 07:00 AM
5 years ago this was what the fans wanted. Now Its just for the names, its not about the top fighter vs the top fighter. Fight fans of any combat sport want to see the top 2 guys go at it and sort stuff out.
The fans want Pacman vs Floyd.
I wont pay for SS vs PBF, but I would watch it if it was free. I would pay for Pacman vs PBF

J.B.
02-04-2010, 07:15 AM
5 years ago this was what the fans wanted. Now Its just for the names, its not about the top fighter vs the top fighter. Fight fans of any combat sport want to see the top 2 guys go at it and sort stuff out.
The fans want Pacman vs Floyd.
I wont pay for SS vs PBF, but I would watch it if it was free. I would pay for Pacman vs PBF

Floyd was asking to fight Shane in 1999 and the fans wanted to see it, but Shane went up in weight and fought Oscar de la Hoya instead. So then 7 years later, after Shane has lost 4 times and been caught up using steroids people want to blame Floyd for going after the Oscar de la Hoya fight just like Mosley did. It goes both ways.

Regardless, Shane is still considered in top 3 guys in the welterweight division right now. Any combination of fights between Shane, Floyd, and Manny are awesome for boxing. You may not buy it, but the majority of boxing's hardcore and casual fans most definitely will.

Buc Nasty
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Floyd was asking to fight Shane in 1999 and the fans wanted to see it, but Shane went up in weight and fought Oscar de la Hoya instead. So then 7 years later, after Shane has lost 4 times and been caught up using steroids people want to blame Floyd for going after the Oscar de la Hoya fight just like Mosley did. It goes both ways.

It was a bigger fight for Shane at the time. He was moving up and Oscar was a bigger name back then. Second time around Mosley had already beaten De La Hoya twice.

J.B.
02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
It was a bigger fight for Shane at the time. He was moving up and Oscar was a bigger name back then. Second time around Mosley had already beaten De La Hoya twice.

I fully understand why Shane fought Oscar, that was part of my point.

People are quick to say that Floyd should have went after Shane instead of fighting Oscar and Ricky when he did, but those fights were what were the bigger attractions at the time in terms of money and exposure. Just because Shane had beaten Oscar twice when Floyd fought him does not negate who Oscar is. It's no secret that people made a habit of coming after Oscar to secure the big payday that he brought, just like they are coming after Floyd and Manny today.

When 2007 came around and Floyd fought Oscar, Shane had lost 4 times since his first match with DLH and had been busted for using PED's. Mayweather had been on the rise for years and he was ready to finally get the big payday that he felt he deserved, and fighting Oscar brought him over 22 million dollars. Shane could not, and still can't, draw those kind of numbers.

The reason Shane jumped all over signing the contract now is because he knows this is the biggest payday of his life. In fact, after it's all said and done, and after all the bi**hing and complaining Mosley did for the last 5 years about Floyd not fighting him, he should be thanking Floyd for stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing for the sport during this time, and for giving Shane the opportunity to cash in on a reported $15 million dollars.

Rev
02-05-2010, 07:25 AM
I understand going after the money, I wont blast him for that.

J.B.
02-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Only in America says...

"they call him Money Floyd"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwysLHHNlM&feature=fvst

J.B.
02-26-2010, 01:23 AM
The hype machine is in full swing now and, as always, Floyd is delivering some gems. :laugh:

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=25610

Here are some of the quotes from Muhammad Al Mayweather

"I am an A-lister, Shane is a C-lister"

“I would love to fight Manny Pacquiao but it has to be fair. We have athletes who live in our own country that lie to the American citizens about taking certain enhancing drugs. Manny Pacquiao is not from this country and don't even live in this country so imagine what he would tell the American people,"

“I built myself up, to be the super bowl of boxing. When Floyd Mayweather laces up the gloves, it's the all star game. I don't know how much longer we'll be in the sport of boxing. They are constantly trying to build up a fighter to beat Floyd Mayweather and I can't blame them."

Commence the hatred...:laugh:

rockdawg21
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
The fight's rigged. De La Hoya already announced the winner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmYNUF39Oiw

De La Hoya (7:00): "I already know what's gonna happen. I uh, I uh already know what's gonna happen, jai mean, do you wanna know? Do you wanna hear? I. Look, I already know there's going to be a knockout. I already know. I already know. I already know. And it ain't gonna be pretty." :ninja:

Mosley (9:47): "May 1st symbolizes May's 1st loss." :laugh:

No point in watching, we already know the outcome. :sad:

J.B.
03-03-2010, 11:23 PM
The fight's rigged. De La Hoya already announced the winner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmYNUF39Oiw

De La Hoya (7:00): "I already know what's gonna happen. I uh, I uh already know what's gonna happen, jai mean, do you wanna know? Do you wanna hear? I. Look, I already know there's going to be a knockout. I already know. I already know. I already know. And it ain't gonna be pretty." :ninja:

Mosley (9:47): "May 1st symbolizes May's 1st loss." :laugh:

No point in watching, we already know the outcome. :sad:

:rolleyes:

Nice play on words, even I didn't connect those dots. :laugh:

For real though, Oscar is just giddy because he knows he's cashing in either way because this fight is gonna do huge numbers. If Shane does win, Golden Boy will make a play at a fight with Manny/Shane, and if Floyd wins then Golden Boy will still make a chunk of the money when Floyd fights Manny. It's win/win for Oscar, but make no mistake he is Mosley's boss, so he's gonna beat the Mosley war-drum long and loud.

rockdawg21
03-04-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't think he meant it as a play on words, just thought it was funny. Yeah, must be good to be Oscar. Maybe if I'm real nice to him, he'll give me a percentage :)

J.B.
03-04-2010, 02:28 AM
I don't think he meant it as a play on words, just thought it was funny. Yeah, must be good to be Oscar. Maybe if I'm real nice to him, he'll give me a percentage :)

I don't think he meant it that way either, but it's cool that you caught it :wink:

A percentage would be nice, but I would be happy with a couple tickets to the fight! :laugh:

Buc Nasty
03-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm a Mayweather fan and a Mosley fan but Floyd really doesn't do himself any favours. As far as I've gathered he's not demanding the random blood tests for this fight, why?

Why Manny but not Shane? IMO Floyd is not going to have much problem beating Shane and I think he feels the same way.

J.B.
03-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm a Mayweather fan and a Mosley fan but Floyd really doesn't do himself any favours. As far as I've gathered he's not demanding the random blood tests for this fight, why?

Why Manny but not Shane? IMO Floyd is not going to have much problem beating Shane and I think he feels the same way.

Floyd and Shane ARE undergoing random blood testing for this fight.

Whatever gave you any idea to the contrary is beyond me. I know I personally mentioned that on more than one occasion, and in the very first post in this thread.

J.B.
03-25-2010, 02:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmmB3c8PQDU

:)

rockdawg21
03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Good promo :)

J.B.
04-07-2010, 11:53 PM
I just heard a great audio clip of Jack Mosley talking about his son, and he said he told Shane he needs to start talking more because "a mouth that stays closed never gets fed"....:laugh:

Great quote, and very true.

rockdawg21
05-04-2010, 04:27 AM
1.1 to 1.2 million buys? Those are good numbers, but nowhere in the realm where I think most people would have guessed (especially Schaefer and his 4-million buys talk :rolleyes:)

I'm still waiting for an official number because I don't believe that could possibly be correct but it was posted by Kevin Iole on his Twitter (http://twitter.com/KevinI) account, and I'd imagine he has pretty good sources.

If it turns out to be true, GBP is going to be out their ass paying the guaranteed 29.5M to both fighters (May - 22.5M, Mosley - 7M). It's surely got to be higher than that; guess we'll find out later this week.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/5/3/1456668/early-talk-mayweather-mosley-at-1

Early Talk: Mayweather-Mosley at 1.1-1.2 million buys

Kevin Iole of Yahoo! said on his Twitter that he's heard from "good sources" that Saturday night's fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley did around 1.1-1.2 million buys on pay-per-view, a figure that while impressive and realistically should be celebrated, would have to be seen all-around as a disappointment.

For one thing, it surely doesn't meet the four million homes that Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions was insanely talking about last week, but then anyone with a brain knew that was pure crazy talk.

But honestly, this would be an under-performance by what I personally expected, too. I figured around 1.5 million, maybe a bit more. This is lower than I thought it would be, but I'm not shocked. A bit surprised, yes, but not terribly so.

I think there are a few factors here, so let's run them down list-style. The number might be a bit higher than this at the end, or a bit lower, but it's going to be somewhere in this neighborhood.

1. Shane (clap) Mosley (clap) is not (clap) a pay-(clap)per-view (clap) attraction (clap!). Look, Floyd wasn't wrong when he said that. It was strange reasoning at the time, but he was right. Mosley has never been an A-side in his biggest fights, and he wasn't one here. But...
2. He is a bigger star than Joshua Clottey, and that's not even a close debate. Clottey, for as good as he is, is nobody. Mosley is at least a B-side. So if the idea is why this still greatly outperformed Pacquiao-Clottey from March (700K), that's a big reason. This was, simply put, a better fight, and much easier to sell.
3. There are perhaps still a lot of people who just didn't see the value in this show OR Pacquiao-Clottey. Not after Mayweather-Pacquiao was dangled in front of them and then yanked back for two lesser fights against what you could pessimistically call a who's that? and an old man. That's not how *I* viewed either fight, but I ordered Jones-Hopkins II along with about 100,000 other suckers, so I'm not considering myself the gauge of how the public sees fights.

This sort of reminds me already of the 2009 fight between Ricky Hatton and Manny Pacquiao. The way Bob Arum talked up that fight's potential business, he was planning to buy Sealand and turn it into a casino that featured rhinoceros fights. When it came back at a very good 800K or so in the States, Arum tried to hide the number as if it were something he should feel shame over.

Like that fight, this one was talked up too much by the promoters. "Oh, we've got this tracking." I have no tracking, but I can tell you that this fight never took off in the anticipation department the way other recent super fights have. That's not a knock on this fight, it's just something I noticed. Frankly, this paled in comparison to the late-week surge of interest we saw last year for Mayweather-Marquez, and wasn't close to Pacquiao-Cotto or even Pacquiao-Hatton. It still beat (if these numbers are correct) all of those fights except Pacquiao-Cotto in buy numbers, which is a testament to (1) Mayweather's popularity and/or appeal, (2) the fight being a very good matchup on paper, and (3) a resurgence of interest in boxing, in general, especially Mayweather and Pacquiao fights.

Honestly, it's a number that everyone should be quite happy with, but that won't be the case. If you stick your neck out and talk about four million buys (ridiculously), then when it comes in at a reasonable number that came from the planet Earth, people are going to ridicule it, the number's going to seem vastly disproportionately disappointing, and you don't even get to celebrate making a ton of money, at least not properly.

J.B.
05-04-2010, 04:39 AM
1.1 to 1.2 million buys? Those are good numbers, but nowhere in the realm where I think most people would have guessed (especially Schaefer and his 4-million buys talk :rolleyes:)

I'm still waiting for an official number because I don't believe that could possibly be correct but it was posted by Kevin Iole on his Twitter (http://twitter.com/KevinI) account, and I'd imagine he has pretty good sources.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/5/3/1456668/early-talk-mayweather-mosley-at-1

Typically the numbers are within a hundred thousand up or down, but Iole has been wrong on his initial estimates in the past. I will wait until later this week when the official numbers come out. We all knew 4 million was pie in the sky, but I figured closer to 2 million personally. However from what I have heard, there were a lot of bars that picked it up and a the turnout at movie theatres has yet to come out.

I posted a short post fight synopsis on our site for those who care to check it out. http://www.highunderground.com/index.php?page=23