PDA

View Full Version : Study: Tattoos & Deviant Behavior Linked

Play The Man
01-18-2010, 11:23 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/chi-talk-tattoos-bad-behaviorjan13,0,4187809.column

Here's a new aphorism: "The more body art you have, the more likely you are to be involved in deviance."

So says Jerome Koch, a sociologist with Texas Tech University's "Body Art Team" -- true moniker -- which surveyed 1,753 students at four colleges and found a correlation between multiple tattoos or piercings and "deviant behavior."

The severally inked or poked at the unnamed Midwestern and Southern colleges said they engaged in, roughly speaking, more promiscuity, more drug use, more binge drinking, more arrests and more cheating on academics than their peers.

The research team has been studying tattoos and piercing since 1999; its latest study will be printed in The Social Science Journal in March and was first reported in Miller-McCune magazine, which tracks academic research.

But the new data also suggest parents needn't freak about a lone dolphin (14 percent of surveyed students had a tattoo) or a belly-button ring (37 percent had a body piercing). "For low-level body art, these kids are not any different from anybody else."

The correlation with deviant behavior came among the 4 percent of students who had four or more tattoos, seven or more piercings, or one "intimate piercing," said Koch. Over at Taylor Street Tattoo, close to the University of Illinois at Chicago's Near West Side campus, owner Timothy Gooding stood up for his clients.

"The people I see on a regular basis that get tattooed are some of the nicest, most well-mannered people," Gooding said. "I see college kids, screaming, yelling, fighting on a regular basis. Those are not my kids."

Koch doesn't necessarily disagree. He says what the study really demonstrates is how body art going mainstream has upped the ante for those who would treat it as more of a subculture.

Vizion
01-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Tattoos - a permanent reminder of what may have been a temporary emotion.

Robertboxerboy
01-19-2010, 01:45 AM
So if I wanted to get a Tattoo about my religeon, thats just a temporary emotion?

Jason 16
01-19-2010, 11:09 PM
So if I wanted to get a Tattoo about my religeon, thats just a temporary emotion?

he did say may have

Miss Foxy
01-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I've heard it all!!! Omg..

Tyburn
01-22-2010, 06:22 PM
But I was FUBAR well BEFORE I got any ink :blink:

VCURamFan
01-22-2010, 06:55 PM
But I was FUBAR well BEFORE I got any ink :blink:
Now that I can believe!! :laugh:

Shoots like a girl
01-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Guess the county jail better save me a room too! :cry:

Chris F
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Sociology is a pseudo science just like psychology. Behavior can be influenced by a lot of things. They surveyed college students enough said. College turn even the most conservative into something they are not w/ or w/o ink.

Tyburn
01-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Now that I can believe!! :laugh:

Well you would know....

having met me :laugh:

Tyburn
01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Sociology is a pseudo science just like psychology. Behavior can be influenced by a lot of things. They surveyed college students enough said. College turn even the most conservative into something they are not w/ or w/o ink.

Not true. In education its classed as a Science if its taken as a purist subject...hence the BSC bit

WilliamWallace
01-26-2010, 05:22 AM
I have 2 tattoo's myself and plan on pretty much covering my body eventually. I think it's art. Although not everyone see's it the same way.

Adia
01-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Hmm...what does this mean about our Shaneroo DOING tattoos :D

I've got a few...but like Dave, I was whacked before I was inked hehe

VCURamFan
01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Not true. In education its classed as a Science if its taken as a purist subject...hence the BSC bit
I hate to through a monkey wrench in your argument, Dave, but Philosophy is classed as a Science, too & lemme tell ya: there's nothing empirical or finite in that discipline, especially considering that PHIL 101 teaches you to ignore the Bible (or "Divine Command Theory") as a fool's method of understanding morality.

Just because somebody decided to shove something into one category as opposed to another doesn't necessarily mean that it deserves to be there. There's a reason I regularly tell people I've got a B.S. in B.S.