PDA

View Full Version : Jones vs Hopkins II

J.B.
01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4824611

This news is actually very surprising, but after Hopkins could not reach an agreement with Danny Green over money, and with the failure to secure the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight in March by Golden Boy Promotions, they have actually given this fight a second chance. They had agreed to it late last year, but when both men took tune up fights last month, the fight got sidetracked after Roy Jones suffered a first round stoppage to Danny Green.

So now, here we are, with a rematch that will likely happen almost exactly 17 years later. I think to say it's a little late would be an understatement, however there may be a diamond hidden in the rough with this one.

Jones and Hopkins are both still major draws within the boxing community, and even the purists who are screaming for both men to retire will likely still tune in to this PPV. That is something Boxing could desperately use, especially in the midst of the the mess with Floyd and Manny. It may not hold much relevance in the way of the future, as both fighters are definitely on the backside of their careers, but it's still a good ol' fashioned grudge match between two of the sport's biggest showmen. I say let's get it on and settle this once and for all.

http://mmaintelligence.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/roy-jones-jr_2.jpg

http://www.411mania.com/siteimages/bernard-hopkins_26058.jpg

I have a ton of other opinions on this... but as a fan, I am just psyched to hear it's happening. :cool:

J.B.
02-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Here is an article from BoxingScene with both guys commenting on the fight. I'm stoked for this even if it is for the Senior Citizens Championship. :laugh:

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=25061

rearnakedchoke
02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
I am not to happy about this ... too many boxers stay around too long and i wouldn't go as far as to say tarnish their careers, but don't do it any justice ...... i would rather my fav fighter of all time RJJ just retire (unless it is to lay a beating on anderson silva LOL)

J.B.
02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
There is a point where every athlete has to judge when it's best to walk away from the sport, and I honestly think the only reason Roy has stuck around the last couple years was because of the hopes of landing this fight with Hopkins. The Danny Green loss didn't help his case coming into this fight, but I think no matter which way it goes this will likely be the last time we see Roy Jones lace up the gloves.

rearnakedchoke
02-05-2010, 12:20 AM
i hear ya, but b-hop wins this and than goes on by saying he woulda won whether it was now or right after their first fight and that he was better all along and how roy was ducking him .... i don't think he has lost a fight since jermain taylor (i think he won the calzaghe fight, but was close) and no one has been better in their forties than him (maybe archie moore, but you would have to ask a boxing historian) .... so we'll see how it goes

J.B.
02-05-2010, 01:37 AM
i hear ya, but b-hop wins this and than goes on by saying he woulda won whether it was now or right after their first fight and that he was better all along and how roy was ducking him .... i don't think he has lost a fight since jermain taylor (i think he won the calzaghe fight, but was close) and no one has been better in their forties than him (maybe archie moore, but you would have to ask a boxing historian) .... so we'll see how it goes

I don't think this fight will be as easy for Hopkins as a lot of people are making it seem. Regardless, B-Hop will never be able to claim that he could have beaten Roy back in the day. Jones beat him convincingly in the first fight and he did it with one hand, everybody knows that.

I don't like Hopkins very much, but I got a lot of respect for his skills and what he has accomplished.

J.B.
02-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Jones and Hopkins had a "formal debate" for the press conference for their upcoming fight.

This video is absolutely hilarious. :laugh:

http://www.boxingtalk.com/video/debate_2836.asx

J.B.
03-04-2010, 06:52 AM
WAR JONES!!!

BOOOO, BIG HEAD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos=ztJttyVbfQM&v=GoCOg8ZzUfg

J.B.
03-27-2010, 12:45 AM
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news/images/295-9573_IMG%20reduced%2001.jpg

J.B.
03-27-2010, 05:03 AM
:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCOg8ZzUfg

Chuck
03-27-2010, 05:19 AM
Funny this thread looks somehow different then the last time I saw it... it just.... I don't know.... feels like something is missing. :ninja:

:laugh::laugh:

Chuck
03-27-2010, 05:28 AM
:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCOg8ZzUfg

:sick::sign0094:

That was bad bro... really bad!

J.B.
03-27-2010, 07:00 AM
Funny this thread looks somehow different then the last time I saw it... it just.... I don't know.... feels like something is missing. :ninja:

:laugh::laugh:

I have NO idea what you are talking about...:ninja:

J.B.
03-27-2010, 07:03 AM
:sick::sign0094:

That was bad bro... really bad!

What?

That was the GOOD one! :laugh:

Actually, what's funny about that song is that Rampage actually used it as an entrance for a few fights.

Now, that you heard the GOOD one, here's the BEST one...:wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWIqZKhNY90

bj44
03-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Hopkins wins now but hes never gonna convince anyone he was the better fighter when they were in there primes... He has an argument for going down as the better fighter in the history book though cus of his longevity.

J.B.
03-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Hopkins wins now but hes never gonna convince anyone he was the better fighter when they were in there primes... He has an argument for going down as the better fighter in the history book though cus of his longevity.

I agree that Roy is most definitely the better fighter in their prime, and he may be the better fighter this Saturday...:punch:

The Kelly Pavlik and Antonio Tarver wins were big for Hopkins, but this fight with Roy will definitely put some closure on the debate between some of the fans. For me, Roy has the more impressive resume and storied career regardless of what happens on Saturday. Everybody already agrees that they are past their time at this point, and even if Bernard beats Roy, he can never erase the beating Roy gave him in 1993.

Hopkins longevity is not really surprising when you look at it. Since 2006 his rate of fights has dropped down, which is to be expected, but when you are comparing his career to Roy's, you need to remember that Roy started boxing at an amateur level when he was 15 years old and he had 134 fights, of which he won 121. Also, Roy was robbed at the Olympic games in 1988, one year before starting his pro career.

Bernard went straight to the pro level when he was 23 in 1988 and he lost his very first fight. He didn't fight again until 1990, and then did not lose again until he met Roy in 93. Now, I am not gonna take anything Bernard has accomplished away from him, not at all. I think he is definitely a Hall of Famer with a strong argument for All Time Great. However I will admit I am a huge Roy Jones fan, and I will always be partial to Jones in the debate over who has the better legacy.

rearnakedchoke
04-01-2010, 12:15 AM

that's the only reason i don't like this fight ... RJJ is one of the greatest ever, if not the greatest ever ... and i know his last outing may tarnish his career to some .. but you can bet that bhop will be saying, how can you rank rjj above me .. we are 1-1

J.B.
04-01-2010, 01:09 AM
that's the only reason i don't like this fight ... RJJ is one of the greatest ever, if not the greatest ever ... and i know his last outing may tarnish his career to some .. but you can bet that bhop will be saying, how can you rank rjj above me .. we are 1-1

The Danny Green fight was a fluke and even B-Head has said that was BS.

Roy will ALWAYS be All Time Great in my book!

rearnakedchoke
04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
yeah, RJJ will always be my boy .. but call me a wimp or whatever, i just like remembering these guys in their hey days ...

bj44
04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
ive heard Hopkins wants the winner of the david haye/ John Ruiz fight this weekend at hw after he beats jones lmfao. Hes upsest with proving hes better then RJJ

J.B.
04-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Here is an ESPN video posted today with Roy talking about the Green fight and who had the better career between him and Hopkins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC7hOyWFI4E

J.B.
04-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Okay, Bernard got the win, as many figured he would, but it was hardly the performance people expected from Hopkins. I think a lot was proven about both fighters during this fight. Here's my take.

Roy Jones: Roy seemed tentative early on which got him down on the scorecards and he never really got his hands going the entire fight. He looked good in some shades later on when he did let off flurries of punches, but Bernard's hard-nose style of coming forward with jabs and then wrapping guys up is tough for anybody to deal with, especially a fighter with Roy's style. As stated numerous times, I will always love Roy, but I just don't think he can fully utilize that unorthodox style of Boxing at this point in his career. He still has speed, and he can still hit with accuracy, but it's as if his legs just are not underneath him like they used to be. Roy did show good defense at times, and he did take some pretty good shots from Bernard (including a headbutt that cut Roy's eye open) but he never seemed really hurt at any point, and he made the fight much more competitive than anybody expected him too.

Bernard Hopkins: This fight just proved that Hopkins is completely obsessed with saying he is better than Roy Jones. He fought like a bully and a crybaby at the same time and even after failing to "destroy" Roy as he promised he would, he dared to suggest that he would challenge David Haye. If Hopkins couldn't handle the rabbit punch he got from Roy tonight, then he would be out knocked out cold if he ever fought Haye. People know what to expect when they fight Bernard Hopkins and he didn't fail to deliver that tonight. Numerous headbutts, low-blows, rabbit-punches, late-hits, and blatant stalling tactics designed to get points deducted from Jones only further the criticisms of him being perceived as a "dirty" fighter.

It got really heated at the end of the 6th round, and I cannot believe that Bernard was not reprimanded or even DQ'd for his actions while the ref was between him and Jones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bC19UJHPLc&feature=player_embedded

Chuck
04-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Link to the fight anyone??? :unsure-1:

logrus
04-04-2010, 07:10 PM
What a terrible fight... I never liked Hopkins then or now,

J.B.
04-04-2010, 08:32 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100404/capt.49a1e12605ba496d8663d9304a471dde-49a1e12605ba496d8663d9304a471dde-0.jpg

:laugh:

bj44
04-04-2010, 09:34 PM
jones should of just kicked hopkins in the nuts in the last round to get even and called it a day.. funny thing is he actually could of won if he threw more punches.. wasnt impressed by hopkins at all

J.B.
04-04-2010, 09:53 PM
jones should of just kicked hopkins in the nuts in the last round to get even and called it a day.. funny thing is he actually could of won if he threw more punches.. wasnt impressed by hopkins at all

I watched the fight with a couple of buddies who are more into MMA than Boxing, and they said the exact same thing. We were laughing and saying stuff like "Roy should shoot for a double-leg take down and elbow B-Hop in that giant forehead".

I agree, Roy could have taken that fight if he would have let his hands go, but Hopkins strength does deserve respect and I think Roy's plan was to wait a little bit and then turn it on, but with all the theatrics in the middle rounds of the fight it made it hard to gain much momentum. I was really hoping Roy would just lose the unorthodox style in the last couple rounds and try to unload on Hopkins and go for broke because in all honesty this was likely the very last time we will see Roy, but in the end I think Roy felt he won the moral victory and he can hold his head high no matter what.

You know what though, all the BS and "old-man" talk aside. There was one thing that Sugar Ray said that really hit home for me after the fight was over, and that was basically that no matter if this fight didn't mean anything to the rankings or the history books, it meant something to THEM, and that needs to be respected. :wink:

rearnakedchoke
04-04-2010, 10:01 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100404/capt.49a1e12605ba496d8663d9304a471dde-49a1e12605ba496d8663d9304a471dde-0.jpg

RJJ shoulda slapped a guillotine on right there ...

now we hear bhop talk crap about revenge blah blah blah .... that's why i never liked this fight ... its like tito ortiz beating lidell now ... not that it matters, but you'll never hear the end of it from tito ... a lose lose situation

J.B.
04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
RJJ shoulda slapped a guillotine on right there ...

now we hear bhop talk crap about revenge blah blah blah .... that's why i never liked this fight ... its like tito ortiz beating lidell now ... not that it matters, but you'll never hear the end of it from tito ... a lose lose situation

I hear you bro, but just like I said to BJ44 in my last post...

You know what though, all the BS and "old-man" talk aside. There was one thing that Sugar Ray said that really hit home for me after the fight was over, and that was basically that no matter if this fight didn't mean anything to the rankings or the history books, it meant something to THEM, and that needs to be respected.

Jones won the moral victory, and Big-Head did exactly what we knew he would do. Hopkins fought dirty and then cried when Roy gave it right back. He was scared to death of Roy catching him in the later rounds, so he used stalling tactics at the end of rounds to buy time to catch his breath, then he unloaded to "steal" the round from the judges. Even using that big ass head of head of his to cut Roy open in round 2 didn't help him put Roy away. B-Hop is a Hall of Famer, without a doubt, but I will NEVER put him above Roy, end of story.

For a light heavyweight - middleweight fighter who is SUPPOSED to be considered top 5 P4P in the sport right now (cough cough cuz Golden Boy owns The Ring magazine) Hopkins looked sloppy and sad last night. I honestly think that Pacquiao or Floyd could have beaten the Hopkins we seen last night, and I'm not kidding.

J.B.
04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Not to change the subject completely, but did anybody else watch David Haye's destruction of John Ruiz yesterday?

Haye landed some rabbit punches in that fight that would have KILLED B-Hop if he was SERIOUSLY hurt by the little kitten-pawing he got from Roy, and then he still wants to go on record and challenge Haye? :rolleyes:

Don't do it Bernard....ride off into the sunset and let it end here. Roy...you too. :sad:

rearnakedchoke
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
yeah, i was never big on ruiz too much, but bhop wants that match with haye ... i want him to take it, so he can't use this fight with RJJ as his swan song ... i mean, RJJ has been HW champ, i think that is what Bhop wants (he hasn't won that title right?) ... so a win over RJJ and a HW title would (in hops mind) make him an equal to Roy ...

J.B.
04-04-2010, 10:38 PM
yeah, i was never big on ruiz too much, but bhop wants that match with haye ... i want him to take it, so he can't use this fight with RJJ as his swan song ... i mean, RJJ has been HW champ, i think that is what Bhop wants (he hasn't won that title right?) ... so a win over RJJ and a HW title would (in hops mind) make him an equal to Roy ...

Exactly, as bj44 said and I concur with, Hopkins is obsessed with not living in Roy's shadow. The only reason he wants a HW title is to catch Jones in his own mind. Hopkins winning a HW title at this point would be remarkable, but HONESTLY....I don't see any way that he beats David Haye....not that same David Haye I watched yesterday...no way...:ninja:

I hate going out on a limb like that....but I think Bernard gets seriously hurt in that fight.

J.B.
04-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Bernard will never be better than Roy Jones in their prime...:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyZB2RUgblM

bj44
04-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Not to change the subject completely, but did anybody else watch David Haye's destruction of John Ruiz yesterday?

Haye landed some rabbit punches in that fight that would have KILLED B-Hop if he was SERIOUSLY hurt by the little kitten-pawing he got from Roy, and then he still wants to go on record and challenge Haye? :rolleyes:

Don't do it Bernard....ride off into the sunset and let it end here. Roy...you too. :sad:

i dont know who id cheer for just because it be nice to have an american hw champ again.. whose america's best hw.... fat ass chis arreola? eddie chambers who makes chis byrd look heavy handed?... ughhh

J.B.
04-05-2010, 02:43 AM
i dont know who id cheer for just because it be nice to have an american hw champ again.. whose america's best hw.... fat ass chis arreola? eddie chambers who makes chis byrd look heavy handed?... ughhh

The answer here is simple...

Hopkins is NOT the future of the division, American or not....

So you root for Bernard till he loses, simple as that....:)

Oh s**t...

guess that don't make much sense....

WELCOME TO BOXING!!! :)

logrus
04-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Bernard will never be better than Roy Jones in HISprime...:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyZB2RUgblM

Jones was always a blast to watch, He would get all cocky drop those hands, start trash talking and dancing. Roy is still the man in my book as well.

J.B.
04-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Jones was always a blast to watch, He would get all cocky drop those hands, start trash talking and dancing. Roy is still the man in my book as well.

It wasn't even that he got cocky....he ALWAYS dropped his hands... :laugh:

I miss 1999....:ninja:

logrus
04-05-2010, 03:54 AM
It wasn't even that he got cocky....he ALWAYS dropped his hands... :laugh:

I miss 1999....:ninja:

Thats cause he was always cocky.... :laugh:

J.B.
04-05-2010, 04:24 AM
Thats cause he was always cocky.... :laugh:

That's right!!! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN86d0CdgHQ

:cry:

J.B.
04-05-2010, 06:37 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100404/capt.2f7a6858db784481bad9852858eba99d-2f7a6858db784481bad9852858eba99d-0.jpg