PDA

View Full Version : Pacquiao vs Clottey

J.B.
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
So, lets talk about this fight.

It's happening in Dallas supposedly with the stadium being set up to hold 50,000 people.

Right now there is a bit of conflicting reports about weight, with Arum and Roach saying the fight will be at 147 and Michael Koncz (pac's advisor) saying that there will be a 143 catch weight. (personally I think this fight has to happen at 147 because I really don't think Clottey can make 143, so Koncz might just be an idiot)

Clottey is a tough dude. He has only really lost to Cotto and Margarito. Technically he lost to Baldomir, but it was because of a headbutt that is arguable over if it was intentional or not. However, Clottey has never been stopped in a fight, so this could be interesting to see.

All that being said, I think this is a somewhat interesting fight, but at this point in both their careers, Manny should make easy work of Clottey.

Thoughts?

rockdawg21
01-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Clottey isn't a big household name in the U.S., but Pac's name alone is enough to get plenty of ticket and PPV sales. Also, Texas has the 3rd highest Filipino population in the U.S., there will be plenty of Pinoys in attendance aside from just those who love Pac, and would love to be a part of a big fight at the new Cowboys stadium!

Clottey poses a real threat to Pac due to his physical prowess, that dude is TOUGH and HUGE for a welterweight. However, speed kills and Pac will have more than enough advantage in that department to chop down the bigger opponent.

Too bad I'm back in Missouri and will still be here rather than in Texas, I may have went to the fight :sad:

On a side note, it's stupid for the business that him and Mayweather are fighting on the same night, but not against each other or on the same venue.

J.B.
01-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Clottey isn't a big household name in the U.S., but Pac's name alone is enough to get plenty of ticket and PPV sales. Also, Texas has the 3rd highest Filipino population in the U.S., there will be plenty of Pinoys in attendance aside from just those who love Pac, and would love to be a part of a big fight at the new Cowboys stadium!

Clottey poses a real threat to Pac due to his physical prowess, that dude is TOUGH and HUGE for a welterweight. However, speed kills and Pac will have more than enough advantage in that department to chop down the bigger opponent.

Too bad I'm back in Missouri and will still be here rather than in Texas, I may have went to the fight :sad:

On a side note, it's stupid for the business that him and Mayweather are fighting on the same night, but not against each other or on the same venue.

Well...in all fairness to both guys, they need to go on with their careers if they are not going to fight each other. They both had been planning on fighting on that date, and just like in the negotiations for their fight, neither man is going to want to back down from March 13th date, and certainly not for the other man.

I do have a pretty direct question for you thought Rock...

Will you still believe Floyd is afraid to fight a top welterweight if they make the fight with Mosley this year? Obviously it would not be on March 13, but they are still saying if Mosley beats Berto that GBP is pushing to make that fight and that Floyd has agreed.

Also, if Floyd does go on to fight Mosley this year, who is Pac going to fight? Let's be honest, fighting Clottey is a downgrade, Pacquiao declined to fight Yuri Foreman because of his height, and the rumor is that all Golden Boy fighters are going to request the same type of drug testing that Mayweather did. So, who is Pac left with?

Mayweather vs Mosley is the second biggest fight Boxing could have right now, obviously behind Manny vs Floyd.

rockdawg21
01-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Well...in all fairness to both guys, they need to go on with their careers if they are not going to fight each other. They both had been planning on fighting on that date, and just like in the negotiations for their fight, neither man is going to want to back down from March 13th date, and certainly not for the other man.
True that, but the only people really losing here are boxing fans who would like to see both fights. Of course, it can be done, but few people can afford to buy both fights, so being forced to make a choice kinda sucks. IMO, since the event was already booked at the MGM Grand on March 13, Pac should have just went for March 6 or March 20, but it's an easy decision for me which fight to buy anyways.

I do have a pretty direct question for you thought Rock...

Will you still believe Floyd is afraid to fight a top welterweight if they make the fight with Mosley this year? Obviously it would not be on March 13, but they are still saying if Mosley beats Berto that GBP is pushing to make that fight and that Floyd has agreed.
No, absolutely not. I will drop it entirely as Mosley is one of the best on the planet at WW.

Also, if Floyd does go on to fight Mosley this year, who is Pac going to fight? Let's be honest, fighting Clottey is a downgrade, Pacquiao declined to fight Yuri Foreman because of his height, and the rumor is that all Golden Boy fighters are going to request the same type of drug testing that Mayweather did. So, who is Pac left with?
Yes, definitely a downgrade, but I also felt that Clottey won that fight against Cotto. Cotto had some dirty shots in there (throw, back to the head punch, low blow) that definitely made a difference in the fight. Clottey's a real threat to anybody in the welterweight class, but I feel he'll always be a gatekeeper like Judah.

A decent option might be Timothy Bradley as Pac's biggest weight so far was about 149 (I think wasn't that his weight against Cotto on fight night?). Bradley is only 26 and is 24-0-1. I think Pac would take him, but Bradley's small, fast, and packs a good punch for a jr. ww.

Of course, there's always the Marquez trilogy :rolleyes:

Pac's biggest challenges will always be Mayweather, Mosley, Paul Williams (yeah right, nobody wants a piece of that guy), and Yuri Foreman (tougher fight that most people realize).

J.B.
01-12-2010, 12:38 AM
I don't think Paul Williams has any business fighting at WW, dude is just too long and too big. I know Paul is bad-ass but he needs to be fighting guys his own size.

Bradley might be a good opponent, but I also don't think he would be able to do anything to Pac.

I think Pac would have walked over Yuri Foreman, but Pac said a week or two ago that he didn't want to fight him because he felt Foreman was too tall. At least, that was what I read.

Oh...then there is Marquez...but the last thing I read about that was that Marquez asked for a 50/50 split on the purse and he wanted the random blood testing too.

J.B.
01-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Here are some pics from the press conference

This is pretty hilarious....
http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/24794/Pacquiao_Clottey_Dallas_PC_100119_002a.jpg

Geez...you'd think they are fighting at half-time...
http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/24794/Pacquiao_Clottey_Dallas_PC_100119_006a.jpg

Jerry Jones is creepy
http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/24794/Pacquiao_Clottey_Dallas_PC_100119_001a.jpg

She is not so creepy
http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/24794/Pacquiao_Clottey_Dallas_PC_100119_003a.jpg

J.B.
01-20-2010, 01:30 AM
LOL, Jerry Jones is a cheap-ass....:laugh:

He couldn't even get them some official jerseys stitched up. :wacko:

J.B.
01-20-2010, 02:49 AM
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24793

They are calling this "The Event"

I think thats a weird name, but whatever...:unsure:

Pacquiao says he loves the stadium and he felt like a football player, lol

Llamafighter
01-20-2010, 02:52 AM
I miss these big outdoor-ish arena fights. this should be cool.

J.B.
01-20-2010, 03:01 AM
I miss these big outdoor-ish arena fights. this should be cool.

I do too, I just hope it's not all overkill to over hype this fight. You know Jerry Jones likes to make a spectacle of things, and that is cool, but this fight don't deserve a parade through the streets or anything. It is what it is.

It's not the worst fight by any means, but I just think Arum jumped the gun so he could keep the money in house with Top Rank guys and still fight on March 13.

Margarito may be making a comeback on this card too.:ninja:

rockdawg21
01-20-2010, 04:38 AM
Pac just liked seeing the hot blondes with big hooters. In the Philippines, because everybody there has dark skin, dark eyes, and dark hair, they're extremely attracted to light skin, blond hair, and blue eyes. Makes sense as that's what you're used to seeing everyday, different scenery is attractive to many people. Their actors even bleach their skin, YUCK!

J.B.
01-23-2010, 06:54 PM
I need a copy of this album.

http://www.celebrityclubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/cd_manny-pacquiao-389x389.jpg

rockdawg21
01-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Good indication that Manny's star power hasn't faded amidst the controversies...half of the available tickets sold in the first 3 hours (20,000 tickets sold). Be amazing to see how many tickets actually get sold considering the stadium can house more than 100,000 people. Just wish I were still in TX, I'd buy some tickets too :sad:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4852835&name=rafael_dan
Pacquiao-Clottey tickets on fire on first day of sales

Saturday, January 23, 2010 | Print Entry

NEW YORK -- Sure, most boxing fans really, really wanted to see pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao fight Floyd Mayweather on March 13. While that fight isn't happening now because of their inability to agree on how to handle drug testing for the bout, the public seems to have accepted with open arms Pacquiao's replacement fight.

He's going to meet former welterweight titleholder Joshua Clottey on HBO PPV on March 13 in the first boxing event to be held at the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, outside of Dallas.

In just the first three hours of public tickets sales (preceded by three days of limited pre-sales) on Saturday, more than 20,000 of the approximately 40,000 available were gobbled up. They ranged in price from $50 to $700.

"Ross Greenburg and I are very gratified that the public has responded like they have, and we are happy for our partner (Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told me on Saturday night at the Madison Square Garden Theater.

Arum and Greenburg, the president of HBO Sports, were sitting together shortly before the telecast of Top Rank's doubleheader, featuring featherweight title bouts pitting Steven Luevano and Juan Manuel Lopez and Yuriorkis Gamboa and Rogers Mtagwa.

Arum said if the demand for the fight continues the capacity of the stadium, which is 100,000 or so for Cowboys games, can easily be increased.

"It's going to be quite a night," Arum said. "And Jerry isn't just a one-event guy. If he sees this as a success you can be sure he'll do more boxing in that great stadium."

Also Saturday night, junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman and former welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto were in the house. Arum, who promotes both, was talking with both sides trying to finalize a June 12 fight between them, which he is planning for in the Madison Square Garden main arena.

J.B.
01-24-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't think anybody ever really doubted that this would sell a lot of tickets, even with the controversy. In fact, in a weird way the whole controversy probably did give him a lot more exposure. Even if some of it is negative, that's not always a bad thing.

Still, Boxing is huge in Texas, and the idea of putting on a big time fight in the new Cowboys stadium is really appealing. Manny also has a lot of Mexican fans and haters too, and that always helps when selling a fight in Texas. Plus I'm sure you got a nice chunk of people from the Philippines flying in too.

I'm pretty sure this will do well in both ticket sales and PPV numbers, but only time will tell.

rockdawg21
01-24-2010, 04:46 PM
I think it's great they are trying out a monstrous arena for a big fight rather than the smaller ones in Vegas. Don King was a visionary and always held colossal events (Rumble in the Jungle, Thrilla in Manila, etc.), hopefully this will start rolling the ball back into that direction with boxing's new resurgence.

Texas has the 3rd highest populations of Filipinos in the U.S. so they will be showing up in droves, plus, like you said, there are TONS of Mexican fans, and haters, of Pacquiao that will boost ticket sales.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

The thing I dislike the most so far is that Clottey's trainers have been denied Visa's. Of course, most casual fans probably don't realize it, but it certainly tips the scale more in favor of Pac. I want both fighters at their best in this fight and without the training, it takes away some luster in my eyes:

http://www.examiner.com/x-4514-Houston-Boxing-Examiner~y2010m1d23-No-US-visa-Clottey-coaches-denied-for-Dallas

No U.S. visa: Clottey coaches denied for Dallas
January 23, 10:14 AM - Houston Boxing Examiner - Marv Dumon

Pacquiao vs. Clottey

No visa for Clottey coach

Two trainers for Manny Pacquiao's upcoming opponent, Ghana's Joshua Clottey, have been denied visas by the U.S. State Department. Godwin Dzanie Kotey and Daniel Clottey, key members of Team Clottey, may have trouble joining their fighter in Dallas for their March 13th date at the Dallas Cowboys stadium, according to East Side Boxing.

Kotey and Clottey serve as coach and assistant for the 35-3 welterweight. US authorities in Ghana are balking at visa approval for both trainers after their visas expired in fall 2009.

Team Clottey's visa situation underscores the importance of early administrative planning for non-U.S. boxers, especially given the nation's heightened security measures. Various U.S. agencies elevated their risk-related protocols following the attempted bombing of a U.S. airliner in December 2009. Visa applications can undergo a lengthy bureaucratic, and often whimsical, process.

In 2009, Manny Pacquiao was forced to train in the Philippines for his fight against Miguel Cotto due to a lack of planning by his advisors regarding U.S. tax rules and stay requirements. Millions of dollars in additional tax liabilities would have been imposed had the Filipino fighter overstayed in the U.S.

The visa situation will cost welterweight Joshua Clottey a few days of precious training. He is returning to his native Ghana over the weekend in the hopes of securing approval from local officials. A fighter's job is in the ring. Not in solving administrative tasks.

J.B.
01-24-2010, 05:03 PM
I am down with the idea of using stadiums for big events, and they have still been doing it from time to time. I know they have had some big fights here at Chase Field in Phoenix where the Diamondbacks play. Obviously it's not the Cowboys Stadium, but it's still much bigger than the MGM Grand in Vegas.

However, we also need to be realistic. What Bob Arum is basically doing is the "2010 Manny Pacquiao Tour". He already said he wants to take him to a few different places in the states this year, and he knows with Manny's popularity and the hype from this would-be mega fight he can sell the idea to bigger venues. Not all the bigger cards in boxing would be suited for those type of venues. Even if they get 40,000 people to buy tickets, they are going to have to set it up in a pretty unique way so that the place does not seem like it's over half empty to all the people watching at home.

rockdawg21
01-30-2010, 04:56 PM
This is bull****, I'm seriously considering writing my Senators about this. It's a f'ing boxing match, not a terrorist operation. Why the **** are they denying a Visa to Clottey's trainers? So stupid...

Clottey cries as embassy denies visa of trainers
By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) Updated January 31, 2010 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao was beating up his sparring partner in Los Angeles the other day and Josh Clottey was home in Ghana begging US embassy officials to grant visas to his trainers so they could join him in the US as he trains for the big fight on March 13.

Pacquiao, based on reports, beat up light-middleweight Byran Brooks in four rounds of sparring at the Wild Card Gym. But if it’s the same Bryan Brooks, the one and only boxer that goes by that name in www.boxrec.com, then there’s no reason to be happy.

Records show that Brooks is a native of California, who’s turning 40 in September. Yes, he’s a light-middleweight, but one who has lost all his six fights. He hasn’t fought in four years and should consider himself lucky to get out of the famous Hollywood gym alive.

Pacquiao’s sparring should pick up next week with the arrival of the other sparring partners. It should be welcome news if Shawn Bradley, who helped the Filipino icon prepare for Miguel Cotto last November, or Amir Khan would come in and take the lead roles.

Meanwhile, Clottey, who will challenge Pacquiao for the WBO welterweight crown at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, wept as he faced the press in Ghana, saying he couldn’t understand why his trainers, led by Godwin Dzanie Kotey, are being denied US visas.

“I am very very disappointed. I am so disappointed because this is the reason why I came down to Ghana and the money I spent to buy plane ticket and time wasted have been useless. It is so disappointing and I don’t even know what to say,” he told the Ghana Web.

“It’s like Ghana is not regarded because everybody in the world knows that this fight is coming on. I am very disappointed,” said the pride of Ghana, who came home after signing the fight contract in New York, and has been working out with Kotey at the Attoh Quarshie Gym.

Since Kotey and probably an assistant will be “working” in the US while Clottey trains, they are being required to secure P-1 visa (a working visa). The problem, however, is that it’s not easy, and the soonest they could get them is two months from now.

The fight should be over by then.

The National Sports Council and Sports Ministry of Ghana has already stepped into the picture, but US embassy officials wouldn’t budge.

“Alloway is the coach I know, he can speak my language to me and make me understand things better. I am disappointed in the US embassy because now I have to go and do this difficult job with people I don’t know. Now everything is on only me, I have to do it all on my own so I have to be at my best,” Clottey said.

“I am in good shape and I am enjoying myself in training and I must say I am very ready for the fight even if its today. But I need my coach there with me, I need him,” he told Ghana Web.

J.B.
01-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Clottey should have known how the process works considering the fact that he lives in Brooklyn. I mean, obviously they have had to do this before, so you would think they knew what to expect. However, this fight did come on such short notice that maybe they didn't realize it would be an issue.

rockdawg21
01-30-2010, 06:59 PM
True, but it's still crap. If Pac beats him, it'll be another excuse made by the haters. At least, I'd have to give this one some bit of credibility; the guy needs his trainers to be at his best. Maybe Floyd Sr. should go train him :laugh:

J.B.
01-30-2010, 07:30 PM
I agree it is crap, but that's how it goes.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about Pac-haters using that as ammo because honestly they are few and far between. I spend quite a bit of time on other Boxing websites and forums and even amongst the hardcore Mayweather fans, there are not many people who HATE Manny. It's more of a clash of egos between two fan-bases, and frankly it's mostly all bulls**t. When you actually bring facts and logic to the discussion, haters are typically silenced. As I have always said, it's fine for a person not to be a fan of somebody be it Floyd or Manny, or whoever, but don't blatantly disregard the facts or spin the truth to blindly fuel your disdain for that person.

rearnakedchoke
01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
i can't remember if i said this, but i think clottley won the cotto fight

rockdawg21
01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
i can't remember if i said this, but i think clottley won the cotto fight
I felt the same too. He slowed down in the last 2 rounds, but in round 12, ate a punch to the back of the head (and something else). Cotto didn't get docked by the ref. Clottey also suffered a body slam somewhere in the middle of the fight as well.

rockdawg21
03-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Dana White is attending the fight and giving away 10 tickets: http://fighthype.com/pages/content7123.html

Going to the pac man vs clottey fight in dallas this weekend," stated UFC President Dana White in his latest Twitter update. The always busy White recently informed fans that he plans on taking time out of his schedule to attend Saturday's welterweight showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey. Never one to shy away from stating his opinion, White made it clear who he thinks will win, "Pac man by ko in the 8th!"

In the past, White let it be known that he's been less than impressed with a lot of recent matchups in boxing. Last year, he blasted Floyd Mayweather Jr. for his selection of Juan Manuel Marquez in his first fight back from retirement. "Boxing is doing it to you again," White would remark at the time. "They're giving you the fight that you don't want. Nobody asked for this fight with Mayweather and...what's his name? What's his name? Nobody even knows. Nobody in this room even knows who Floyd's fighting." Apparently, White is much more familiar with Ghanian Joshua Clottey and is looking forward to attending the event in Dallas this weekend. "Clottey is a big, durable, tough guy so its gonna take pac man a few rounds should be a fun fight! Pac man never disappoints," he added.

It's kind of ironic that White will be attending a Top Rank promoted event, considering comments that promoter Bob Arum has made in the past & about the UFC and MMA in general. "UFC are a bunch of skinhead white guys watching people in the ring who also look like skinhead white guys...Ninety percent of the people in the audience wear tattoos. I don't care. That's up to them. But those aren't people that would have any interest, at any time, in boxing," Arum commented last September when he was asked if the UFC going head-to-head with a boxing event would hinder pay-per-view sales for either sport. "For me, and people like me, it is not something they ever care to see. They've watched it. It's horrible. Guys rolling around like homosexuals on the ground. It is not a sport that shows great, great talent," he added.

One has to wonder if Arum will still share those same sentiments when he finds out the UFC President is attending his event. My guess is that he'll do a 180 & welcome White to the promotion with open arms and the two will have a good laugh about the comments. Don't be surprised if Manny Pacquiao attends a UFC event in the near future.

For those that are interested, White is also giving away 10 pairs of tickets to fans. Just follow him on Twitter for all the latest updates on how you can win.

J.B.
03-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Arum and White in the same building is like dividing by zero

rockdawg21
03-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Arum and White in the same building is like dividing by zero
LOL, I love it!

J.B.
03-11-2010, 01:23 AM
For real though, I am psyched for this fight. It's not the fight we wanted on March 13, but it's a good match-up for both men.

I am thinking that Pac will likely score a mid-late KO, but if Clottey manages to outbox Manny and then gets robbed by the judges it will set the sport back again in the minds of the mainstream fans.

rockdawg21
03-11-2010, 02:50 AM
For real though, I am psyched for this fight. It's not the fight we wanted on March 13, but it's a good match-up for both men.

I am thinking that Pac will likely score a mid-late KO, but if Clottey manages to outbox Manny and then gets robbed by the judges it will set the sport back again in the minds of the mainstream fans.
I'm psyched too, Manny never disappoints and Clottey is one tough SOB.

I felt Clottey was robbed in the Cotto fight, but I still see how it could be viewed as a victory for Cotto.

I see Manny with a KO in the 10th.

rockdawg21
03-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Jerry Jones claims it's nearly a sellout of the 45,000 seats available. Quite impressive considering the rumors of a lesser undercard. I think you'll see Manny hosting all of his fights here in the future. Think if him and Mayweather could come to terms; no doubt they could break attendance records in this stadium.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4983610

Jones hints that fight is nearing sellout

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Wednesday afternoon's news conference between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey promoting their Saturday fight at Cowboys Stadium was without the trash talking and other bravado seen in someone else who might be interested in this event.

There were subtle reminders from Pacquiao, Clottey and promoter Bob Arum about being a pro. And although nobody mentioned Floyd Mayweather Jr., considered along with Pacquiao as one of the best fighters in boxing pound-for-pound, it was clear he was on people's minds.

"Both sides, no trash talking," said Pacquiao, who will defend his WBO welterweight title. "We can be a good example to everybody."

Added Clottey: "We have much respect."

Yet things are getting spirited between Clottey and Pacquiao.

Clottey said nobody has ever rocked him with a shot, and he will face a man with 38 knockouts in 53 pro fights.

"Nobody has every beat me or cracked me," said Clottey, who has lost three close fights. "I want to see what he can do."

Pacquiao and Clottey will probably do it in front of a sellout crowd in the first fight at Cowboys Stadium.

Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones, fresh off morning meetings to discuss free agency with his NFL team, said there are a few hundred seats available for the 45,000 seating capacity. He expects the event to be a sellout.

"We are really moving toward that number real good," Jones said. "Down to just a few hundred, and I'm talking about just a few hundred at different levels."

Jones hinted that the fight could be a sellout by the end of the business day Wednesday. Jones, however, needs this fight, called The Event, to succeed because he put down a $7 million site fee, with some conditions. A return on his investment could lead to future fights.

For a proposed Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, Jones guaranteed $25 million for a site fee, the largest in boxing history, and said he would have needed to sell 100,000 seats to make the financing work.

For this one on Saturday night, he doesn't need as much, just a superstar fighter in Pacquiao who is a national icon in his native Philippines, where after the fight he will finish his campaign for a run at a congressional seat.

"Even a greater story is that he hasn't lost his humanity," Arum said of Pacquiao. "With the storm, corruption and poverty in his country, he wants to change that. Be something different. I hope this is the last prefight press conference where I introduce him as plain old Manny Pacquiao. I want to introduce him as congressman Manny Pacquiao."

The fighters will see each other one more time at Friday's weigh-in before Saturday's fight.

Waiting is Mayweather, who while not here, isn't forgotten.

J.B.
03-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Jerry Jones claims it's nearly a sellout of the 45,000 seats available. Quite impressive considering the rumors of a lesser undercard. I think you'll see Manny hosting all of his fights here in the future. Think if him and Mayweather could come to terms; no doubt they could break attendance records in this stadium.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4983610

I wanna know how many of those tickets are comp. I figured if they got Margarito on the undercard they would do good, but that fell through and with the steam behind May vs Mosley, I just don't see how this fight sold that well.

Is the undercard stacked with Mexicans? I will be honest, I don't know...:sad:

rockdawg21
03-11-2010, 03:48 AM
I forgot, this is a good undercard!

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Rumble/entry/view/55522/pacquiao-clottey_undercard

Humberto Soto vs. David Diaz
Jose Luis Castillo vs. Alfonso Gomez
John Duddy vs. Michael Medina

I love watching Humberto Soto fight! Gomez is alright too but was more exciting on The Contender, but I still admire his heart.

J.B.
03-11-2010, 03:52 AM
I forgot, this is a good undercard!

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Rumble/entry/view/55522/pacquiao-clottey_undercard

Humberto Soto vs. David Diaz
Jose Luis Castillo vs. Alfonso Gomez
John Duddy vs. Michael Medina

I love watching Humberto Soto fight! Gomez is alright too but was more exciting on The Contender, but I still admire his heart.

There ya go... they got the Mexican buy with JLC, Soto, and David Diaz.

rockdawg21
03-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Pac has tons of star power as well, plus, Texas has the 3rd highest Filipino population of all states in the U.S. No doubt they stacked the card good with all the Mexican fighters. Good marketing :)

Max
03-11-2010, 04:03 AM
After thinking this over im going with Pac by dec.

J.B.
03-11-2010, 04:04 AM
Pac has tons of star power as well, plus, Texas has the 3rd highest Filipino population of all states in the U.S. No doubt they stacked the card good with all the Mexican fighters. Good marketing :)

It wasn't long ago that the Mexican fans hated Pac...:laugh:

You are right though, GOOD marketing. I would expect nothing less from Bob Arum. They really did a good job of making Manny larger than life and bringing Boxing back to big venues. As much as I despise the guy, Arum still knows how to play the game and the dude is pushing 80, lol...

rockdawg21
03-11-2010, 04:04 AM
Crap, David Diaz, totally overlooked that one! He's a cool dude :)

J.B.
03-11-2010, 04:08 AM
Crap, David Diaz, totally overlooked that one! He's a cool dude :)

It's all good.

As long as u remember that Mayweather laid 2 ass-whoopings on JLC :)

rockdawg21
03-11-2010, 04:08 AM
It wasn't long ago that the Mexican fans hated Pac...:laugh:

You are right though, GOOD marketing. I would expect nothing less from Bob Arum. They really did a good job of making Manny larger than life and bringing Boxing back to big venues. As much as I despise the guy, Arum still knows how to play the game.
Arum reminds me a lot of Don King. That guy was a true visionary who hosted the most mega events in boxing history. Everybody knows "The Rumble in the Jungle" and "The Thrilla in Manila". Arum is trying to make those come back right now. I just wish the best would fight the best rather than all these negotiations that go back & forth to make big fights. Honestly can't say I know if this sort of stuff was going on in the days of Ali, but I don't think so because nobody was accused of ducking each other (or it was just forgotten). JB, you're more of a boxing historian in that sense whereas I just watched the fights. Did this sort of banter occur in those days?

rockdawg21
03-11-2010, 04:12 AM
It's all good.

As long as u remember that Mayweather laid 2 ass-whoopings on JLC :)
LOL, winning 2 decisions (1 which is HIGHLY disputed) doesn't really constitute an "ass-whopping". It's more like, well, winning by points, lol

J.B.
03-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Arum reminds me a lot of Don King. That guy was a true visionary who hosted the most mega events in boxing history. Everybody knows "The Rumble in the Jungle" and "The Thrilla in Manila". Arum is trying to make those come back right now. I just wish the best would fight the best rather than all these negotiations that go back & forth to make big fights. Honestly can't say I know if this sort of stuff was going on in the days of Ali, but I don't think so because nobody was accused of ducking each other (or it was just forgotten). JB, you're more of a boxing historian in that sense whereas I just watched the fights. Did this sort of banter occur in those days?

Arum and King have hated each other for 30-40+ years....they are not noobs, lol....Both Arum and King are promoters who ripped off a countless number of fighters while trying to compete with each other.

YES, this type of "banter" has been a part of the sport of boxing for at least the last 120 years.

The days of Ali? LOL.....That is what made the man you know as PBF.:wink:

J.B.
03-11-2010, 04:43 AM
LOL, winning 2 decisions (1 which is HIGHLY disputed) doesn't really constitute an "ass-whopping". It's more like, well, winning by points, lol

I know, lol, that was just some bait :laugh:

The first fight was VERY close, but the point is that Floyd did give JLC an immediate re-match and Floyd CLEARLY won the 2nd fight.

rockdawg21
03-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Pac - 145
Clottey - 147

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100312/capt.1b3c3e69c7b945b2be81f0aeb84a0e5a-e69967c32a7640c0b9d901169055c5a2-0.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100313/i/r1205400732.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100313/i/r1482047158.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100312/capt.8c3e8ffee0b048d2ac66d1136a5d6224-ea63c89a160e4b3595cd15bfa9233395-0.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100313/i/r2802112584.jpg

J.B.
03-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Here is a video of the weigh-in (maybe slow to load, but it's good quality)

http://video.boxingscene.com/filess/pacquiaoclotteyweight.wmv

J.B.
03-13-2010, 02:34 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100313/i/r2802112584.jpg

Behind every great athlete is a couple of old rich white dudes waiting to get paid. :laugh:

J.B.
03-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Yahoo is streaming the undercard for free right now

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/box/Live/18592448;_ylt=AqhqosqW1EgaByfIMZctDoOUxLYF#box/Live/18592448

J.B.
03-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Well, this fight had some REALLY good things about it, and some bad things too.

The Cowboys Stadium plan was a huge success. Almost 51,000 people were in attendance, and that is the third highest attendance number for a Boxing match. I will admit, that did surprise me a bit. I figured that even after the initial report of 20,000 tickets being sold it would still top out at somewhere just under 40,000. That is an awesome stadium, and they did a top notch job of promoting this fight considering fallout from the failed negotiations with Mayweather. With that being said, I think that we will see a really solid number when the PPV results come back and, if anything, all the hype and controversy between him and Floyd has catapulted the sport back into the hearts and minds of the general public.

I am not surprised that it went to a decision, but I did think that Pac would eventually catch him. Overall, the whole event was entertaining, but Clottey's performance was quite disappointing. He had a lot of opportunities to capitalize with counter punching, but he never adjusted. He kept a real tight peek a boo defense, and Pac's connection percentage was actually really low, but Clottey was too stiff and just didn't work enough. Had he thrown about 200-250 more punches, he might have actually won the fight. Even towards the end, when it was clear that Pac was pitching a virtual shutout, Clottey still never turned up the heat.

Manny clearly trains like an animal. He went out there and threw over 1,200 punches, even though he only landed on about 250. That kind of volume presents problems for anybody, especially when Manny is able to do it so easily without really getting tired. With that many punches thrown, it makes it hard to win if the fight goes the distance. Judges notoriously tend to equate volume to quality, and that has been the crux of many historical "bad decisions". However, in this case, even though Clottey actually had a better connection percentage, he was still clearly out punched by almost 150 shots.

All in all, it was an entertaining night of fights. I was surprised to see Castillo get dominated like that. Looks like he is done for good now.

Max
03-14-2010, 07:09 AM
After thinking this over im going with Pac by dec.

i was right

rockdawg21
03-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Behind every great athlete is a couple of old rich white dudes waiting to get paid. :laugh:
LOL, good observation!

F34R
03-15-2010, 12:39 AM
damn Pac is a freakin' workhorse!!! 1200+ punches!!! I don't throw that many punches a year! lmfao.

rockdawg21
03-23-2010, 11:18 PM
700,000 buys. Not bad considering only die-hard fans know Clottey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5022192

Pacquiao-Clottey earns big PPV bucks

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Manny Pacquiao's lopsided unanimous decision against Joshua Clottey generated 700,000 pay-per-view buys and $35.3 million in domestic television revenue, HBO PPV's Mark Taffet said Tuesday.

The pound-for-pound king routed Clottey to retain his welterweight title on March 13 in the first boxing event staged at Jerry Jones' $1.2 billion Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Clottey, a native of Ghana living in New York, brought no significant fan base to the fight and was virtually unknown to the masses, so the figures are a credit to Pacquiao's popularity.

"We are extremely pleased with the pay-per-view performance of Pacquiao-Clottey. Fights like this traditionally do not exceed 400,000 buys," Taffet said. "It is a testament to the popularity of Pacquiao and the vitality of the sport, and it gives us great encouragement as we look toward the May 1 Mayweather-Mosley pay-per-view fight."

The breakdown for Pacquiao-Clottey was 350,000 buys from cable homes, 310,000 from satellite homes and 40,000 from telco homes.

Based on his pay-per-view history, Pacquiao, of the Philippines, has become a crossover star in the United States.

In 12 pay-per-view fights, he has generated 6.25 million buys and $320 million in revenue. The bulk of the total has come from his last four fights: Clottey, Miguel Cotto (1.2 million buys), Ricky Hatton (800,000 buys) and Oscar De La Hoya (1.25 million buys).

rearnakedchoke
03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
i'd say those are real good numbers ... now we just need him and PBF to fight

J.B.
03-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Thats actually a bit of a letdown. I personally expected it to at least hit 1 million just because of the amount of exposure and the fact it was at Cowboys stadium. I'm not saying those are BAD numbers, not at all. Just not what was expected by a lot of people.

rockdawg21
03-24-2010, 03:14 AM
Thats actually a bit of a letdown. I personally expected it to at least hit 1 million just because of the amount of exposure and the fact it was at Cowboys stadium. I'm not saying those are BAD numbers, not at all. Just not what was expected by a lot of people.
I figured 3/4 mil. The undercard was pretty good, but only for the die-hard fans in my opinion. Pac didn't have anybody to dance with him on this card. Not bad considering those factors.

With numbers like that from just Pac alone, I think it'd be safe to say Mayweather/Mosley could do 1.25 to 1.5 million. 2 top well-known contenders with the winner possibly to face Pac (or make failed negotiations with Pac :laugh: :sad:), why wouldn't everybody buy it?

J.B.
03-24-2010, 03:45 AM
I figured 3/4 mil. The undercard was pretty good, but only for the die-hard fans in my opinion. Pac didn't have anybody to dance with him on this card. Not bad considering those factors.

With numbers like that from just Pac alone, I think it'd be safe to say Mayweather/Mosley could do 1.25 to 1.5 million. 2 top well-known contenders with the winner possibly to face Pac (or make failed negotiations with Pac :laugh: :sad:), why wouldn't everybody buy it?

I'm not saying it's a bad draw. It's still 700,000 buys, but that is most definitely a let down for them in terms of what they expected.

The undercard is not what sells the fights, and with Manny's star power as of late one would think it would have hit 1 million. The fact that the media promoted the crap out the fight both directly and indirectly, and it was at Cowboys Stadium, makes me think it could have done better. The fight had almost 51,000 people in attendance, which is like the 3rd highest ever for a fight, and his last fight with Cotto did 1.25 million buys at MGM Grand in Vegas. Part of the way the Clottey fight was promoted was that it was supposed to be a big "EVENT" that everybody needed to see because of how awesome the stadium is. Of course Miguel Cotto may have had a better name than Clottey, but that is still a difference of over 500,000 buys.

I would say it's a combination of things. Some of it is fallout from casual fans over wanting to see the Mayweather fight, and some of it was fans who didn't think Clottey stood a chance and didn't think it was worth buying. Regardless, it's still solid numbers, and the attendance alone made it a success.