PDA

View Full Version : I need serious advice

Shoots like a girl
01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a teenage daughter who will be 15 in a couple of months. A boy at school has asked her to be his girlfriend. This will be Danni's first serious boyfriend. Shes liked this kid for a couple of years now. I know the kid(thank God I live in a small town) and know his family very well. Good family. Anyway, shes not asking to date but to let the boy hang out with us when we go out and do family stuff like putt putt or bowling or movies. My question is......... do you think shes too young for this? What do you think????? I need input, Im on unfamilar ground! :frantics:

Tyburn
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
:unsure-1: I cant help you. I'm sorry. I have absolutely no knowledge, either theoretical or practical of parenting, or raising Children. :unsure-1:

Shoots like a girl
01-11-2010, 09:04 PM
LOL! My boy has to be easier than this!

Tyburn
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
LOL! My boy has to be easier than this!

I know even less about raising boys then I do raising girls. I was at least raised WITH girls :laugh:

Primadawn
01-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I have a 15 year old daughter and we would let her do that...starting last year (her freshman year in high school) we allowed her to go on outings with boys (in groups) as long as there was a parent present.

Just be VERY vigilant!!

Shoots like a girl
01-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I have a 15 year old daughter and we would let her do that...starting last year (her freshman year in high school) we allowed her to go on outings with boys (in groups) as long as there was a parent present.

Just be VERY vigilant!!

Oh thank you! Thats what Im thinking too, just may be more difficult convicing her dad!

bradwright
01-11-2010, 11:18 PM
I have a teenage daughter who will be 15 in a couple of months. A boy at school has asked her to be his girlfriend. This will be Danni's first serious boyfriend. Shes liked this kid for a couple of years now. I know the kid(thank God I live in a small town) and know his family very well. Good family. Anyway, shes not asking to date but to let the boy hang out with us when we go out and do family stuff like putt putt or bowling or movies. My question is......... do you think shes too young for this? What do you think????? I need input, Im on unfamilar ground! :frantics:

in my opinion the boy is up to no good so tell the hubby to have a little chat with him and explain the consequences of his actions...thats if there were to be any actions....if you get my drift.:wink:
after that there really should be nothing left to worry about.:)

Shoots like a girl
01-11-2010, 11:22 PM
in my opinion the boy is up to no good so tell the hubby to have a little chat with him and explain the consequences of his actions...thats if there were to be any actions....if you get my drift.:wink:
after that there really should be nothing left to worry about.:)

Ha!!! Trust me, he doesnt need to be encouraged to be violent towards boys that look at the girl! Hes going to be so hard to convince that shes going to grow up!

Shoots like a girl
01-11-2010, 11:25 PM
attached is a pic of the way too cute teen in question!

County Mike
01-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Don't trust that boy. It's a scam. He must be vanished. The desert is a good place for digging holes.

Black Mamba
01-12-2010, 01:23 AM
I can't give any advice either, seeing that I have never gone on date. :ashamed: At 15 and my entire high school career, I was concentrating on my studies.

But I will say that it's important to get to know the guy and make sure he has good intentions. I hope he's not going to use her for one thing and one thing only. Just because he comes from a good family don't mean nothing. Maybe I'm just the suspicious type.

MattHughesRocks
01-12-2010, 01:42 AM
I agree with Mike.Just bury the SOB now...get it over with.

VCURamFan
01-12-2010, 06:04 AM
On behalf of all young males here, just let me say this in our defense:

:frantics: :frantics: :frantics:
THE TESTOSTERONE MADE US DO IT!!!!
:frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

adamt
01-12-2010, 01:20 PM

you wanted serious advice, so my serious advice would be, that in all reality there is no point in "dating" unless you are ready to get married. Old enough, rich enough, smart enough etc....

If she likes the kid why ruin it with a childish relationship that will end in a pointless squabble

Have standards that have to be met by any suitor, too many young girls "hang out" with guys they never would marry in a million years, and then coincidentally "fall in love", don't risk her falling in love with anyone but the right guy

if you choose, which I hope you do, to not let her have her "boyfriend", i hope you can do it in a way that she is agreeing to it as well, meaning, she comes to the same conclusion as you through discussion and logic, some of which I already shared, like, not many relationships go well when you are 15--- you can't do anything, when you love each other enough to do something, you can't get married and do it, it is just not good

Silverback
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Don't trust that boy. It's a scam. He must be vanished. The desert is a good place for digging holes.

Yes I agree, I remember how I was at that age, lock her up till shes 35 and then let her out and run for the hills. No you have to trust her and hope that you did your job and she knows right from wrong, because if you tell a teen no, they will find a way to do what you tell them not to do. Start out slow and see where it takes you. Good luck, thank God I have 4 son's.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

rearnakedchoke
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
if they are going to be in your presence, the kid will act respectful, once he is by himself, his true feelings will emerge (which would have been his motive the entire time) so no dark movie theatres, no dances/parties etc ... oh and just for effect, when he is over for dinner for the first time, have your husband clean his guns in his presence and make comments like "man, this one was loaded still" and "jeez, these things get dirty when you are always holding them, ready to cap some poor sap"

Shoots like a girl
01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
ROFL! I thought you guys were my friends??? I dont know if I feel better or worse! Ok, so popular opinion from the men are dont let the boy live... I get it! But I live in a small town raising a pretty teenage girl who likes to hunt and fish. How do I keep the boys away? hehe

Silverback
01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
ROFL! I thought you guys were my friends??? I dont know if I feel better or worse! Ok, so popular opinion from the men are dont let the boy live... I get it! But I live in a small town raising a pretty teenage girl who likes to hunt and fish. How do I keep the boys away? hehe

Start feeding her around the clock, make her wear combat boots, shave her head, big thick glasses, pull all her teeth, and put dirt and grease under her finger nails, and have her skin a Deer in the front yard and then you will be fine, wait a minute NO don't do that, unless you want Mac to show up.:frantics::frantics:

Shoots like a girl
01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Start feeding her around the clock, make her wear combat boots, shave her head, big thick glasses, pull all her teeth, and put dirt and grease under her finger nails, and have her skin a Deer in the front yard and then you will be fine, wait a minute NO don't do that, unless you want Mac to show up.:frantics::frantics:

No no! I have enough problems.... dont need Mac showing up! :w00t:

matthughesfan21
01-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't see the problem...I agree that given his age, he may have other things on his mind, but if he really wanted that thing, why would he be going on family dates? Don't you think it would be pretty tough to get that with the parents always around? If they wanted to go out alone, I would be more concerned about that...Since they are wanting to go out with you as well, I would welcome that idea considering they will have supervision...Better to be supervised than to have them go out alone, and at that age, if you continued to say no, they are just going to go out without your knowing anyways

Miss Foxy
01-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I personally don't think she is too young. I am sure you have raised her with good morals and if she lets her wings flap a little just have faith in her that she will make the right choices. If she does not thats human nature. I think it is a good idea to keep them busy around you and your family. Good luck :wink:

DonnaMaria
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
I feel for you! I have two girls. The oldest is 13. She wanted to have a boyfriend and I told her "Well you can have a boyfriend as long as there is no touching, kissing, texting after 9:00, no dates by yourselves and no unsupervised visits!":laugh:

so she HAD a boyfriend.........for about 3 days!:laugh:

Then she decided that there really was no point to it........so she "broke up" with him.:rolleyes:

If you do let her have a boyfriend just remember these words that an 8th grade teacher friend told me when I was chaperoning my first middle school dance.......

"Never, EVER let them be alone together!!!! Never! Ever!!!!!":scared0015:

:laugh:

rearnakedchoke
01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I personally don't think she is too young. I am sure you have raised her with good morals and if she lets her wings flap a little just have faith in her that she will make the right choices. If she does not thats human nature. I think it is a good idea to keep them busy around you and your family. Good luck :wink:

in other words ... KILL THE BOY!!!

Shoots like a girl
01-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Ah, and then the ladies chime in and they are totally objective! Thank you ladies. These are my thoughts too. My daughter is thoughtful enough of me to ask to date this boy WITH the family! She hasnt asked for alone dates, Im sure she already knows the answer to this one!

Shoots like a girl
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=DonnaMaria;93055]I feel for you! I have two girls. The oldest is 13. She wanted to have a boyfriend and I told her "Well you can have a boyfriend as long as there is no touching, kissing, texting after 9:00, no dates by yourselves and no unsupervised visits!":laugh:

Then she decided that there really was no point to it........so she "broke up" with him.:rolleyes:

QUOTE]

I could only be so lucky!

Shoots like a girl
01-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Thanks, I have tried to raise her with good morals. And shes really a good kid.

VCURamFan
01-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I feel for you! I have two girls. The oldest is 13. She wanted to have a boyfriend and I told her "Well you can have a boyfriend as long as there is no touching, kissing, texting after 9:00, no dates by yourselves and no unsupervised visits!":laugh:

If you do let her have a boyfriend just remember these words that an 8th grade teacher friend told me when I was chaperoning my first middle school dance.......

"Never, EVER let them be alone together!!!! Never! Ever!!!!!":scared0015:

:laugh:
O man, I thought you were goin to go with the clasic "Leave room for Jesus!" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mac
01-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Invite him over . and in this order

Show him your gun collection .

Tell him about all the old abandoned wells on the property

Explain to him that he needs to watch his step around the "property" because he may just wind up in a well.

Mac
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Glad i had Boys. I cant wait for the first time some gals dad shows Boone or Hank his gun collection and starts on . I want to hear one of em say " you call that a rifle ? the one behind the seat in my truck is twice that size."

Shoots like a girl
01-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Glad i had Boys. I cant wait for the first time some gals dad shows Boone or Hank his gun collection and starts on . I want to hear one of em say " you call that a rifle ? the one behind the seat in my truck is twice that size."

Mac~ Dont forget that shes a hunter too, she has her own weapons. My husband says when the time comes he will tell the boy that shes an excellent marksman and then ask him where he thinks she got it from. LOL, Hes had almost 15 years to think this over. Its just convincing him that the time HAS come!

DonnaMaria
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
O man, I thought you were goin to go with the clasic "Leave room for Jesus!" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nah...coudln't do THAT!
It was a public school dance........can't mention Jesus or you'll get sued...
:rolleyes:

Shoots like a girl
01-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Are you sure thats what she was saying? :unsure-1:

VCURamFan
01-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Mac~ Dont forget that shes a hunter too, she has her own weapons. My husband says when the time comes he will tell the boy that shes an excellent marksman and then ask him where he thinks she got it from. LOL, Hes had almost 15 years to think this over. Its just convincing him that the time HAS come!
My brother-in-law's getting ready for that. They just had their 3rd girl in a row (4th total, all under 5yrs old right now), so he went out & bought himself a new shotgun. My dad asked him if what kind of game he was planning on hunting & Matt said "Only the kind that tries to come in my house." :laugh:

Miss Foxy
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM

It's not always the boys.. I have seen a few gals that were little red Corvettes!!:laugh:

Shoots like a girl
01-12-2010, 05:56 PM
My brother-in-law's getting ready for that. They just had their 3rd girl in a row (4th total, all under 5yrs old right now), so he went out & bought himself a new shotgun. My dad asked him if what kind of game he was planning on hunting & Matt said "Only the kind that tries to come in my house." :laugh:

Oh, he can buy all the guns he wants.................they will still grow up and the dating will come! Im not sure I could do this 4 times though! Im thankful that my other one is a boy.:wacko:

VCURamFan
01-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Oh, he can buy all the guns he wants.................they will still grow up and the dating will come! Im not sure I could do this 4 times though! Im thankful that my other one is a boy.:wacko:
Yeah, Matt will get a little help: the oldest (4yrs old) is Luke & he's already highly protective of his little sisters. I get the distinct impression that he'll watch out for the girls when the time comes.

flo
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM

Just be VERY vigilant!!

I think that's good advice. Chaperoned family events and outings are perfectly suitable for 14 year-olds. I think it's great they are both being open and up front; if you put the kabosh on it they might sneak around.

Hang in there, parenting teenagers must be a HUGE challenge these days.

wpnsman2000
01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't have any girls..but my old supervisor told me he was teaching his daughter to just fart and belch whenever a boy approached her....But seriously I would probably rather be involved in what was going on rather then the boy and girl sneaking around.

Miss Foxy
01-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't have any girls..but my old supervisor told me he was teaching his daughter to just fart and belch whenever a boy approached her....But seriously I would probably rather be involved in what was going on rather then the boy and girl sneaking around.

Exactly hello Catholic schoolgirl right here!! My mom thought I was on a short leash, but I snuck out all the time..:ashamed:

Maldonado136
01-12-2010, 08:28 PM
nah 15 is high school and thats when people start dating. its better that she dates someone you know rather than some random prick who could take advantage of her. this is one of those weird situations imo because if youre too strict then she may rebel but you cant be too lenient either.

Jason 16
01-13-2010, 02:09 AM

what about mine shafts? in pa we have tons of them. most over 200 feet. no digging needed

mscomc
01-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Well, i dont have children, but I did grow up in a big city, and i saw this very situation many times with my friends (boy and girl).

The girls could never understand why their parents wouldnt let them date (at around 15 or 16), and the boys could never understand why parents would treat them "hostile" without even giving them a chance, because after all, the attraction between man and woman is a natural part of life and is suppose to happen.

It sounds like your daughter is a very mature, bright person with good morals. The only 'obstacle' seems to be convincing your husband. He is understandably protective, but maybe you could try this. One of my supervisors told me that the way she go start 'dating/have a boyfriend' was when her mom sat down with her husband one day an reminded him of how THEY first met. She went on to tell her husband that her father was infact nervous of him all those years ago. This memory apparently convinced the father, that he was was exactly in this kids shoes 10-15 years ago, so maybe I should give it a chance. Hope this helps.:)

KENTUCKYREDBONE
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
As the Father of Boys I don't want them mistreated! But then again if I had a Daughter every boy that wanted to date them would be Guilty until proven innocent! There's a Guy at work who says his Daughter is never gonna be old enough to date!

Shoots like a girl
01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, i dont have children, but I did grow up in a big city, and i saw this very situation many times with my friends (boy and girl).

The girls could never understand why their parents wouldnt let them date (at around 15 or 16), and the boys could never understand why parents would treat them "hostile" without even giving them a chance, because after all, the attraction between man and woman is a natural part of life and is suppose to happen.

It sounds like your daughter is a very mature, bright person with good morals. The only 'obstacle' seems to be convincing your husband. He is understandably protective, but maybe you could try this. One of my supervisors told me that the way she go start 'dating/have a boyfriend' was when her mom sat down with her husband one day an reminded him of how THEY first met. She went on to tell her husband that her father was infact nervous of him all those years ago. This memory apparently convinced the father, that he was was exactly in this kids shoes 10-15 years ago, so maybe I should give it a chance. Hope this helps.:)

Thank you! Its a tactic that I will try!

Shoots like a girl
01-13-2010, 05:14 PM
As the Father of Boys I don't want them mistreated! But then again if I had a Daughter every boy that wanted to date them would be Guilty until proven innocent! There's a Guy at work who says his Daughter is never gonna be old enough to date!

Im also the mother of a boy. Im with you, I dont EVER want my son mistreated because he likes a girl. Im trying so hard to be objective and its difficult. I have to look at these boys as someones son too!

MattHughesRocks
01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Right, and remember, these boys probably didn't fall far from the tree so get to know his family to!

Im also the mother of a boy. Im with you, I dont EVER want my son mistreated because he likes a girl. Im trying so hard to be objective and its difficult. I have to look at these boys as someones son too!

County Mike
01-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Right, and remember, these boys probably didn't fall far from the tree so get to know his family to!

My son wants to date all your daughters. :wink:

Shoots like a girl
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM

Thats it! Im locking mine away now! :w00t:

MattHughesRocks
01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't have any daughters.Just sons :laugh:

Black Mamba
01-13-2010, 06:14 PM
you wanted serious advice, so my serious advice would be, that in all reality there is no point in "dating" unless you are ready to get married. Old enough, rich enough, smart enough etc....

If she likes the kid why ruin it with a childish relationship that will end in a pointless squabble

Have standards that have to be met by any suitor, too many young girls "hang out" with guys they never would marry in a million years, and then coincidentally "fall in love", don't risk her falling in love with anyone but the right guy

if you choose, which I hope you do, to not let her have her "boyfriend", i hope you can do it in a way that she is agreeing to it as well, meaning, she comes to the same conclusion as you through discussion and logic, some of which I already shared, like, not many relationships go well when you are 15--- you can't do anything, when you love each other enough to do something, you can't get married and do it, it is just not good

You bring up some great points. And some of those points are exactly why I haven't gone a date. I hate to ruin a great thing with someone and have it go to poo. It's not that I'm afraid to cross the friendship barrier.

Shoots like a girl
01-13-2010, 06:18 PM
You bring up some great points. And some of those points are exactly why I haven't gone a date. I hate to ruin a great thing with someone and have it go to poo. It's not that I'm afraid to cross the friendship barrier.

I agree! Never a good idea to date a friend, cause if it doesnt work then you've lost a friend.