PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos

Robertboxerboy
01-07-2010, 02:44 AM
What do yall think of tattoos? I want to get one really bad in between my shoulder blades that has a with a stone rolled away that says "The grave could not hold the King". Meaning Jesus Christ. But my dad won't let me get it cause he thinks tattoos are trashy. And I agree with him on a point where you get a tattoo just to get a tattoo. But atleast this means something too me, so that I won't regret it later in life.

Mac
01-07-2010, 03:00 AM
What do yall think of tattoos? I want to get one really bad in between my shoulder blades that has a with a stone rolled away that says "The grave could not hold the King". Meaning Jesus Christ. But my dad won't let me get it cause he thinks tattoos are trashy. And I agree with him on a point where you get a tattoo just to get a tattoo. But atleast this means something too me, so that I won't regret it later in life.

Our Dads think alike.

When i was younger i wanted to get a tatoo , i wanted the Mack truck Bulldog with my name under it on my shoulder blade , and my dad told me 2 things .
" If God wanted you to be decorated you would have been born a Christmas Tree" i had to laugh at that lol, and the second thing he said was " Real men dot need a sign to tell folks they are tough" he was referring to me wanting the bulldog.

But as i grow older , im thinking of getting one . I want an exact copy of each of my sons ink foot prints from thier birth certificates , not sure where i would put them , not sure if i will even get it done , but if i was ever to get a tattoo , thats what it would be.

Play The Man
01-07-2010, 03:02 AM

Listen to your Dad.

MattHughesRocks
01-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Now here's a tattoo!

http://www.uniquedaily.com/the-tattooed-cat/

Play The Man
01-07-2010, 03:14 AM
I was recently reading an old article by Truman Capote in which he interviewed a criminal named Bobby Beausoleil. In the article, he makes the statement: "It's odd about tattoos. I've talked to several hundred men convicted of homicide - multiple homicides, in most cases. The only common denominator I could find among them was tattoos. A good eighty percent of them were heavily tattooed."

billwilliams70
01-07-2010, 03:48 AM
I have no problems with tattoos. I know that Leviticus 19:28 states not to tattoo your body, however, 1 Corinthians 10:31 states "....whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." Our bodies are referred to as temples of the Holy Spirit in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, but makes no mention of tattoos.

Similar to the "lose our salvation" thread, I'm sure this will get lots of debate, because even as a one God, one love body of Christ we are, we can't seem to agree on the simplest of things when it comes to interpretations of scripture.

:laugh: When all else fails......turn to the shirt for advice:

http://www.mmaoverload.com/images/detailed_images/jesus-didnt-tap-tattoos-tshirt.jpg

Hope this helps you.

Later.

Primadawn
01-07-2010, 04:12 AM
I was recently reading an old article by Truman Capote in which he interviewed a criminal named Bobby Beausoleil. In the article, he makes the statement: "It's odd about tattoos. I've talked to several hundred men convicted of homicide - multiple homicides, in most cases. The only common denominator I could find among them was tattoos. A good eighty percent of them were heavily tattooed."

Bobby Beausoleil was connected to the Manson family. Interesting.

MattHughesRocks
01-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Well you know that tshirt can't be wrong!:laugh:

Silverback
01-07-2010, 05:06 AM
I never wanted a tat till my wife and I split and I was always gone, on the road with work, and I wanted to get something that if I seen it would remind me of my sons, so I had one put right above my right wrist. It is a cross with a ribbon that runs around it with Ian, my oldest, at the top, Dusty and Shane on both sides of the cross, and Trevor, my youngest thru the leg of the cross. So everytime I see it I think of my Boys, I love it and the guy did a very good job with it. So if your taking a vote, mine would be for it.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

MattHughesRocks
01-07-2010, 05:25 AM
What adorable kids names. Do you have a picture of the tat to show us?

I never wanted a tat till my wife and I split and I was always gone, on the road with work, and I wanted to get something that if I seen it would remind me of my sons, so I had one put right above my right wrist. It is a cross with a ribbon that runs around it with Ian, my oldest, at the top, Dusty and Shane on both sides of the cross, and Trevor, my youngest thru the leg of the cross. So everytime I see it I think of my Boys, I love it and the guy did a very good job with it. So if your taking a vote, mine would be for it.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

atomdanger
01-07-2010, 05:31 AM

That probably has something more to do with people getting tattooed in prison,
than it does people with tattoos being criminals.

Play The Man
01-07-2010, 06:48 AM
That probably has something more to do with people getting tattooed in prison,
than it does people with tattoos being criminals.

True. In addition, it is an observation that is now 30 years old.

Llamafighter
01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
I got one about 7 years agoand I don't regret it. even if it's not the coolest it reminds me of a time in my life and I wouldn't get it removed for anything.

Robert I think that if you have something that is really meaningfull to you then do it. Just do your research and go to a tattoo artist that has a good reputation and will give you a nice one. I recommend telling the artist what idea you have and ask them to draw something up instead of just point to a pic in a book that 1000 other people could have.If you're close to Ft. Wayne go to Donny Manco or his brother. He's a Christina and does a lot of religious tattoos. They both have fine art training and Donny used to be an art teacher.
here's an interesting video where Donny talks about religious tattoos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYzPQlWo61Q

My dad always told be that if I came home with an earring he'd pull it out with plyers and if I had a tattoo he'd remove it for me with a belt sander.

I'll probably tell my kids the same thing:)

County Mike
01-07-2010, 02:43 PM
and if I had a tattoo he'd remove it for me with a belt sander.

Or like in Sons of Anarchy, when they took that guys tattoo off with a blow torch. :scared0011:

Silverback
01-07-2010, 03:51 PM
What adorable kids names. Do you have a picture of the tat to show us?

The picture is not the best but gives you some ideal what it looks like, I love it, and like I said everytime I see it I think of my boy's.:)

Llamafighter
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Or like in Sons of Anarchy, when they took that guys tattoo off with a blow torch. :scared0011:

Aw man that was nasty. Why did he pick burn? The smell would have killed me:(

DonnaMaria
01-07-2010, 04:20 PM
I always wanted a tattoo because I always liked the idea of "wearing" a piece of art. :laugh: And I always wanted something that would be meaningful to me..........

so I waited a looooooooooooooooong time. and thought about a lot of things/designs and waited until a design "spoke" to me. And when it did, I was almost 40 years old!

And then when I decided on the design and the location ( my foot, so it could be covered up if needed ) I actually drew the design on with a black pen and wore it around for a while to see if I liked it!:laugh:

And then I waited a few more months.........researched my artist........saved up the money......broke the news to my mom.....and my girls.....:laugh:

and then got it! And I love it! No regrets at all! It's like it is a part of me that always should have been there!

And if/when my girls ever ask me if they can get a tattoo, I can look them in the eye and say......"Sure honey.......when you are 40!"

DonnaMaria
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Oh and tat location is very important! My tattoo artist said that he is reluctant to give someone a tat in a place like the lower arm or the hand or neck because of the social stigma associated with tats on places like that. He tries to get people to go for less conspicuous areas.

And he didn't do "tramp" stamps!:laugh: He told me that he wouldn't be a part of that! So if that was what I wanted I needed to go somewhere else!

He was kind of opinionated........but hey.........it was his shop! And I admired him for it! And he did an awesome job!

Twinsmama
01-07-2010, 04:31 PM
how old are you. i think if i remember right you are only 16 or 17?? my 15 year old nephew wants one for his 16 th bday in 2 weeks. i feel like he's makin a mistake but unfortunately his mom and dad are more worried about being his friend than guiding him in life. i think you should wait until you are a little older. so many things change in life. i know that religion isn't usually one but waiting a little while sure won't hurt.

my husband got one when he was 17 and doesn't hate it but is wanting to get it covered up with something the he likes better. when he got it he was a skinny little thing so it was on the outside of his bicep, now he has big muscles and wide shoulders and it is not anywhere close to where it was!!haha now it's almost up on the outside of his shoulder! just another thing to think about.

good luck making your decision

Spiritwalker
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM
43 and will be doing my whole arm by my birthday!!...

But I do not want to get one on my chest for some reason.. I can't put my finger on it.. just don't

Looking to get the tiger colored at the end of the month and start on the phoniex

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/daspiritwalker/tiger1.jpg

You don't see alot of tattoos in south america.. or at least where I was at.. these kids loved mine and my instructors..
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/daspiritwalker/RazorBackDriveStreetPartyDSCN1784.jpg

This one was painful.. the others just uncomfortable...

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/daspiritwalker/other1.jpg

Mac
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
seen a show once , thie guy and his dad ran a motorcycle shop and they both were heavily inked .

When his dad passed away he had his back hide skinned and tanned and it now hangs on the shop wall .

Thats just nasty.

billwilliams70
01-07-2010, 05:08 PM
seen a show once , thie guy and his dad ran a motorcycle shop and they both were heavily inked .

When his dad passed away he had his back hide skinned and tanned and it now hangs on the shop wall .

Thats just nasty.
Ick.

Later.

Llamafighter
01-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Thats just nasty.

I almost barfed. that's some Silence of the Lambs ****!

Tyburn
01-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Tattoos are great so long as your getting them for a real meaning.

I have several, and want to get at least one more but I cant afford to at the moment :laugh:

I have the oriental verb that equates to Maranatha on my right shoulder, I have a version of the Occular Veritas on my right arm just above my wrist, and I have an image of Le Sacre Coeur on my chest.

I want another tattoo which would be of a single birds feather, and the references to two biblical passages above and below it. I dont know where I would put it though :laugh:

Now for the meanings. Maranatha is a greek word which is used as a spiritual invokation. If Emmanuel is indicative of the Incarnate Jesus, then Maranatha is indicative of the indwelling Spirit. It means to enter in. It reminds me that my Body has now become a living Temple.

Occular Veritas is Latin for Eye of Truth. Mine is a little eye in amoungst blue and purple swirls. Its placed on my right arm above my hand to remind me that everything I put my hands to I will be called to account for at Judgement.

Le Sacre Coeur is french for The Sacred Heart, its quite a common Ikon used in the Church. For me it is about Christian progression, about trying to grow more like christ I suppose.

The Feather will be symbolic of Intrinsic Value...which is something I didnt always believe in. Why a Feather? because in the Gospels when confirming Intrinsic Value, Jesus uses the humble sparrow as an example. The Biblical References are my Favourite verses of Scripture :)

mikthehick
01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
After much contemplation, I decided tats just aren't for me.

Maybe down the road, but not right now.

But, I'm not opposed to them either--if they have a special meaning to the one who wears them, then it can be a wonderful story for them to share, a memorial for a loved one, or a dedication to something they love.

For example, when people have bible verses on themselves or a cross of some kind, that is awesome.

To each their own.

Robertboxerboy
01-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Well the meaning of "The Grave Could Not Hold The King" is a lyric from my favorite worsdhip song "Arise My Love" by Newsong. I was at Winter Jam and when they started playing I really started paying attention. And when they said that line, It was the first time I gave myself up to God. Thats the real story behind it.

And Dave, you have tattoos? I could never see you with tattoos, I just don't know why.

Play The Man
01-08-2010, 01:28 AM
43 and will be doing my whole arm by my birthday!!...

But I do not want to get one on my chest for some reason.. I can't put my finger on it.. just don't

Looking to get the tiger colored at the end of the month and start on the phoniex

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/daspiritwalker/tiger1.jpg

You don't see alot of tattoos in south america.. or at least where I was at.. these kids loved mine and my instructors..
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/daspiritwalker/RazorBackDriveStreetPartyDSCN1784.jpg

This one was painful.. the others just uncomfortable...

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/daspiritwalker/other1.jpg

SpiritWalker, has anyone ever told you that you look like Billy Bob Thorton?

Tyburn
01-08-2010, 12:27 PM
And Dave, you have tattoos? I could never see you with tattoos, I just don't know why.

Yes. I have Three :laugh:

CAMPO
01-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I got one about 7 years agoand I don't regret it. even if it's not the coolest it reminds me of a time in my life and I wouldn't get it removed for anything.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!! I got mine just over 2 years ago...and don't regret it either..."maybe" I might like something else, but not sure! I'm content :)

Miss Foxy
01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
My dad hates tattoos as well. I don't ..However I think you should wait until you are out of your dads house and can make a living on your own. Just for the respect part...That's just my opinion. Hope it helps and good luck.

CAVEMAN
01-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Now here's a tattoo!

That thing was hideous!

rearnakedchoke
01-08-2010, 05:09 PM
i want to get a tattoo of him

http://milliondollartattoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/tatu2.jpg

billwilliams70
01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Now here's a tattoo!

I think that's pretty stupid.

Later.

Silverback
01-08-2010, 05:29 PM
That thing was hideous!

Yes and the cat too. Before you go jumping on me I know you mean the cat. Most ugly thing I have ever seen, well next to Mark.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

Llamafighter
01-08-2010, 07:15 PM
i want to get a tattoo of him

http://milliondollartattoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/tatu2.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
01-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Tattoo's are apparently the in thing right now but I really don't go for them! I reconmend 2 things if you feel you really want one. Well make that 3 things!

1-Wait till you are out on your own and of age! Then wait a year or 2!
2-Research the Bible,Pray about it and decide if you really,really believe in them!
3- Make sure you ain't doing it for peer pressure,for your buddies or cuase its the in thing to do!

Then if after all of that you still want one make sure that you know what it is and it can be easily covered if you need or want to! Now I will admit that I hope you decide you don't want one!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
01-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Aw man that was nasty. Why did he pick burn? The smell would have killed me:(

Cause that's what Outlaw Biker gangs do if you fall out of favor with them! In alot of them if you are kicked out of the gang you have a certain amount of time to get rid of the gang tattoo and if you don't they burn it off of you! That is just one reason of many not to get involved with Gangs!

Shoots like a girl
01-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I love tattoos, if they are tasteful. Im a professional business woman and I have two, one small one and one large one. I like them where they can be covered if needed. Im hopelessly addicted and have my next one planned already. However.............I got my first tattoo when I was 30 and my second for my 35th birthday. I think age and maturity have alot to do with it. I love my tatoos and dont regret either of them!

Buzzard
01-12-2010, 05:44 AM
At least you don't want to get branded.

Spiritwalker
01-12-2010, 05:58 AM
I have my wife and kids names... and various symbols of martial arts... no regrets.. cant wait to have a few more...will have my left arm done by my birthday

County Mike
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Cause that's what Outlaw Biker gangs do if you fall out of favor with them! In alot of them if you are kicked out of the gang you have a certain amount of time to get rid of the gang tattoo and if you don't they burn it off of you! That is just one reason of many not to get involved with Gangs!

They gave him the choice - Knife or Burn. He chose burn. I'm sure having it sliced off wouldn't have felt much better, but the smell probably wouldn't have been as bad.

Chuck
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
They gave him the choice - Knife or Burn. He chose burn. I'm sure having it sliced off wouldn't have felt much better, but the smell probably wouldn't have been as bad.

I think burning would be less painful. Once the nerve ending are torched you probably wouldn't feel much.

At least until the healing and skin grafting started.... :D

CAMPO
01-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Yes and the cat too. Before you go jumping on me I know you mean the cat. Most ugly thing I have ever seen, well next to Mark.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

LOL!!! Ha - thanks...I needed a laugh today!!! :laugh:

DonnaMaria
01-15-2010, 04:11 PM
I think burning would be less painful. Once the nerve ending are torched you probably wouldn't feel much.

At least until the healing and skin grafting started.... :D

Well to be fair, didn't they give him a year to get rid of it?!

:rolleyes:

(of course I'm joking about the FAIR part)

That episode was brutal. I had nightmares about it for a week.:cry:

Silverback
01-22-2010, 03:35 AM
LOL!!! Ha - thanks...I needed a laugh today!!! :laugh:

Anytime Campo!!!

internationalharvester
01-28-2010, 03:28 AM
I have actually been thinking about somehow integrating this into my shoulder its Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. just not sure how to do it yet