PDA

View Full Version : INSIDE DANA'S MEETING WITH JAMES TONEY

Llamafighter
01-06-2010, 09:31 PM
What does everyone think? I say put him in there with Kimbo and it will be a Blockbuster

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Video:-Dana-White-And-James-Toney-Meeting-After-UFC-108.html

J.B.
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I say be sure to drug test him thoroughly :laugh:

Really, it would look just like when Kimbo fought Mercer. Everybody would expect it to be some sort of big time barn-burner, but nobody in MMA is dumb enough to stand there and trade punches with a boxer of that caliber because they would get KTFO.

Besides, Toney, like Mercer, is not looking to actually compete but rather just looking for one-off fights to make some cash. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sure it will fly with the UFC. It would be interesting to watch though.

billwilliams70
01-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Really, it would look just like when Kimbo fought Mercer. Everybody would expect it to be some sort of big time barn-burner, but nobody in MMA is dumb enough to stand there and trade punches with a boxer of that caliber because they would get KTFO.

Besides, Toney, like Mercer, is not looking to actually compete but rather just looking for one-off fights to make some cash. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sure it will fly with the UFC. It would be interesting to watch though.
I think that you said it best.....hit the nail right on the head you did sir, right on the head.

Later.

rearnakedchoke
01-06-2010, 10:43 PM

i guess you meant to say, nobody is stupid enough except for Tim Sylvia .... LOL

J.B.
01-06-2010, 10:52 PM
i guess you meant to say, nobody is stupid enough except for Tim Sylvia .... LOL

I didn't want to be mean, but yeah, that had crossed my mind :laugh:

Although, Tim didn't really get a chance to do anything at all. It was over so fast it's hard to know what he would have done.

Spiritwalker
01-06-2010, 11:18 PM

Although, Tim didn't really get a chance to do anything at all. It was over so fast it's hard to know what he would have done.

Big Tim has matured a lot in my eyes.. still not a GREAT fan.. but... he's ok.. even if he had a chance.. nothing would have changed...

atomdanger
01-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Dana "we don't do the freakshow" White is a hypocrite if he signs this guy.

Chuck
01-07-2010, 03:18 AM
I have two thoughts....

It sounds like Lights Out hasn't been training any MMA at all :laugh: Listen to how he handled the question on checking a kick!!!

And 2.... Holyfield??? If that boy has been training I'd love to see him fight MMA.. JB what do you think he would fight at? MW? WW?

J.B.
01-07-2010, 03:47 AM
I have two thoughts....

It sounds like Lights Out hasn't been training any MMA at all :laugh: Listen to how he handled the question on checking a kick!!!

And 2.... Holyfield??? If that boy has been training I'd love to see him fight MMA.. JB what do you think he would fight at? MW? WW?

Holyfield has become somewhat of a laughing stock. He is basically punch drunk and has no business in the ring with any top competition, however he still claims he wants to retire as the unified heavyweight champion, although everyone knows he is in a ton of financial trouble and that is clearly a part of his motivation to keep trying to fight. I honestly wouldn't be surprised one bit if we hear chatter about them trying to set up Tyson/Holyfield 3 again, although I think it would be an abomination of a fight, people would still pay to see it.

As for Toney, I am willing to bet that he has zero intention of actually training in MMA. He is 41 years old, and like Holyfield, his best years of fighting are far behind him. He would definitely fight at Heavyweight though, because I really don't see him making 205. The last time Toney fought at under 200 pounds was 7 years ago. If you are asking what weight I think Holyfield would fight at the answer is the same considering Holyfield has not come in at under 200 pounds since 1988.

Llamafighter
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM

It would have been a long night. boxers train getting inside on taller, legitimate boxers so I don't think Tim would have been able to stick him with the jab all night. it's hard to say. I think Tim in his best shape would have done a lot better than the Tim that showed up, did.
I still respect him though and hope to see him fight again soon.

Llamafighter
01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
I have two thoughts....

I imagine (even though you asked JB) that Holyfield would cut to 205. I personally think he'd be better off at HW just because the LHW speed would be trouble for him now.
Toney will get chewed up if he doesn't learn the kicks defense and some ground.
BTW Holyfield is listed as fighting Francois Botha this month in Nelson Mandela stadium in Africa.

J.B.
01-07-2010, 11:45 PM
I imagine (even though you asked JB) that Holyfield would cut to 205. I personally think he'd be better off at HW just because the LHW speed would be trouble for him now.
Toney will get chewed up if he doesn't learn the kicks defense and some ground.
BTW Holyfield is listed as fighting Francois Botha this month in Nelson Mandela stadium in Africa.

I think Holyfield is just too old to cut any more weight. I realize it's only about 10 pounds from what he last fought at, but I still think he would have trouble doing it at 47.

Like you said, speed would be a huge factor against any LHW fighters, but really I think that would be a problem for Evander against ANY fighter at this point. I mean, nobody is kidding anybody here, the only chance the Boxer's would stand in MMA fights is if they can land some clean solid punches, and we all know MMA is a lot more than that.

If I had to pick one pro Boxer today who I think could actually convert to MMA and be successful it would have to be Paul Williams.
http://www.aworldofboxing.com/P4P/Paul_Williams.jpg

KENTUCKYREDBONE
01-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Any boxer wanting to fight MMA better train some real take down defence and or grappling! I just don't see many even halfway smart MMA fighter standing with a good Pro Boxer if they can take it to the ground. Even though MMA has some pretty decent boxers why take the chance against a Pro?

Llamafighter
01-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I think Holyfield is just too old to cut any more weight. I realize it's only about 10 pounds from what he last fought at, but I still think he would have trouble doing it at 47.

Like you said, speed would be a huge factor against any LHW fighters, but really I think that would be a problem for Evander against ANY fighter at this point. I mean, nobody is kidding anybody here, the only chance the Boxer's would stand in MMA fights is if they can land some clean solid punches, and we all know MMA is a lot more than that.

If I had to pick one pro Boxer today who I think could actually convert to MMA and be successful it would have to be Paul Williams.

Yeah you're right. Holyfield was never a real smart fighter, either. he was jsut physically better than everyone else.
I wonder what type of martial arts training Manny has.
It's so easy to find muay thai fighters that train in ground fighting but try to find a boxer that trains anything else is really difficult. boxing is it's own animal.

Jason 16
01-08-2010, 11:58 PM

I think a lot of the lighter weights could if they gave it there all.
kermit cintron is a good wrestler (even wrestled in college) and a top level boxer a couple of guys from my gym went to high school with him and he said he would fight mma in a heart beat if it payed what he is getting payed in boxing