PDA

View Full Version : jury duty

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
So I get the pleasure of jury duty for the first time ever this coming Thursday. I'm not thrilled with the idea of sitting and waiting with not a lot to do in a room full of people I don't know who are bored and will want to strike up a conversation with everyone around them. I wouldn't mind going if I knew for sure I would serve on a jury and do whatever it is that needs doing and get to go home. I just don't want to sit and wait all day for a measley $12.

Any jury duty stories to share?

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
01-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I served on an attempted murder trial before. The waiting around part to pick the jury did suck but people weren't trying to talk to each other just to talk.Best advise..BRING A MAGAZINE OR A BOOK there is a lot of waiting around!

Once the trial was under way it was pretty interesting.The trial I was on lasted a week. I'll tell you what, I think EVERYONE needs to serve on a jury at least once in their life.It'll give you a whole new appreciation to the out comes of trials.I know before I served I would see trials on the news and such and would be like " oh he shouldn't have gotten off!" but once your there you see how many rules and guide lines you have as a juror it's a whole new ball game.

Play The Man
01-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I was called once but never got to serve.

No matter the inconvenience, you must go. I am so angry about criminals like O.J. Simpson walking free because they are able to pack the jury with a bunch of deadbeat losers. I fear they will challenge your seating after finding out that you are a nurse. They want dim bulbs that they can fool easily.

Mac
01-05-2010, 08:20 PM
So I get the pleasure of jury duty for the first time ever this coming Thursday. I'm not thrilled with the idea of sitting and waiting with not a lot to do in a room full of people I don't know who are bored and will want to strike up a conversation with everyone around them. I wouldn't mind going if I knew for sure I would serve on a jury and do whatever it is that needs doing and get to go home. I just don't want to sit and wait all day for a measley $12.

Any jury duty stories to share?

~Amy

Amy , just tell them to hurry it up because you have a kkk meeting in an hour , they will probably remove you from the jury lol.

MattHughesRocks
01-05-2010, 08:23 PM
One of the people on my trial said, to the question of "how do you feel about guns" ( a guy shot his brother in law) said " I think people who use guns are crazy!". She was dismissed immediately:laugh:

Amy , just tell them to hurry it up because you have a kkk meeting in an hour , they will probably remove you from the jury lol.

MattHughesRocks
01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
That was the trial I first thought of after I served.Those people on that jury didn't know about a lot of things and had so many restrictions it was impossible for them to find him guilty.I remember seeing a couple of jurors after the fact say " I did not know.If I had it would have went a different way".
That's why we should all have to serve on at least one trial in our lives.I think you can even sign up to do so.

I was called once but never got to serve.

No matter the inconvenience, you must go. I am so angry about criminals like O.J. Simpson walking free because they are able to pack the jury with a bunch of deadbeat losers. I fear they will challenge your seating after finding out that you are a nurse. They want dim bulbs that they can fool easily.

Spiritwalker
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I have served twice.. first time was a fraud check deal.. was really interesting to hear the defense explain that the criminal didn't realize that what she was doing was illeagel. GUILTY

2nd times was just a few weeks ago....

Domistic violence charge...

Guy beat the crud out of a girl.. (and some of you know my history on that.).. guilty

What I find really interesting is that lawyers try really hard to confuse the issue.

I guess just call me Jack Ryan from Clear and Present Danger...

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Oh, I'll definitely go and I don't mind serving. The thing I don't want is to go sit there all day in a jury waiting room for nothing. I'm not sure if being an RN will have any impact on things or not. I will take a couple of books and a crossword puzzle book and maybe even sudoku. :laugh:

Now watch, I'll end up on some crazy trial sequestered for 2 weeks straight. That just might kill me. :frantics:

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
01-05-2010, 08:38 PM
My sister was on a murder trial that lasted 3 months:blink: but yeah...the waiting before the trial is LOOOOOONG and BORING.

Oh, I'll definitely go and I don't mind serving. The thing I don't want is to go sit there all day in a jury waiting room for nothing. I'm not sure if being an RN will have any impact on things or not. I will take a couple of books and a crossword puzzle book and maybe even sudoku. :laugh:

Now watch, I'll end up on some crazy trial sequestered for 2 weeks straight. That just might kill me. :frantics:

~Amy

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 09:01 PM
My sister was on a murder trial that lasted 3 months:blink: but yeah...the waiting before the trial is LOOOOOONG and BORING.

3 MONTHS???? How do you pay bills for those 3 months? Most employers do not pay you when you have jury duty right?

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
She married well :laugh:

3 MONTHS???? How do you pay bills for those 3 months? Most employers do not pay you when you have jury duty right?

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
01-05-2010, 09:08 PM
It depends on the company that you work for. Mine at the time paid for 5 days.Some don't pay at all.They just can't fire you for serving.

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 09:09 PM
She married well :laugh:

Nice. We should do that too. :w00t:

~Amy

Llamafighter
01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I got called and waited around for four hours and then the defendant failed to appear so they sent us home and I can't be called for 6 years:)

MattHughesRocks
01-05-2010, 09:13 PM
6 YEARS?! Wow! Once we served, or sat around waiting then was sent home, that keeps us cleared for either 12 or 18 months and that's it.

I got called and waited around for four hours and then the defendant failed to appear so they sent us home and I can't be called for 6 years:)

Llamafighter
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
6 YEARS?! Wow! Once we served, or sat around waiting then was sent home, that keeps us cleared for either 12 or 18 months and that's it.

There are a lot of people to pool from in Queens County so they can afford the long turnover.

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Wow. It's only 2 years here. I'm hoping I get the first case of the day, that it's over quickly, and that I get dismissed for the day about lunchtime.

~Amy

rearnakedchoke
01-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I have served twice.. first time was a fraud check deal.. was really interesting to hear the defense explain that the criminal didn't realize that what she was doing was illeagel. GUILTY

2nd times was just a few weeks ago....

Domistic violence charge...

Guy beat the crud out of a girl.. (and some of you know my history on that.).. guilty

What I find really interesting is that lawyers try really hard to confuse the issue.
I guess just call me Jack Ryan from Clear and Present Danger...

i don't buy it .. a lawyer trying to confuse people on purpose?

well, i was called a few years back .... people were able to use laptops while waiting and i think you can get internet, so you can kill the day .. my company paid for me, so i was hoping to get a long trial ... i got in front of two criminals and was selected by the defense but rejected by the crown ... .LOL

but people were asked a question if they were racist against blacks ... LOL .. even black people were saying they were racist as they didn't want to serve ...

Miss Foxy
01-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I got excused almost immediately when I went up on the jury panel. I was asked if I could not judge the defendant based on his previous prison time for murdering a 16mth old child.. I immediately said I would not be able to look past that... I need to work on my outbursts:ashamed: and forgiveness lol:laugh:

Blade
01-05-2010, 10:06 PM

~Amy

If you're really lucky you could get a fraud trial, and some of those can last up to 6 months and are reaaaaaaaally boring. 6 months worth of geeks and number crunchers could be all yours!!! :wacko:

Chuck
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I've gotten plenty of summons in the mail but I just toss them... :scared0015:

I'll do my civic duty some day but not until missing work for an undetermined period of time won't screw me financially. :wink:

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 10:26 PM
I've gotten plenty of summons in the mail but I just toss them... :scared0015:

I'll do my civic duty some day but not until missing work for an undetermined period of time won't screw me financially. :wink:

Ha, I can't toss mine. I'm scared of jail!:unsure:

~Amy

VCURamFan
01-05-2010, 10:52 PM

~Amy
Tell ya what: if you wanna be sure to not be selecte, jsut loudly offer to put on a free BJJ clinic & start going around asking for volunteers. If no one offers, just grab the oldest, frailest lady around (other than yourself:Whistle:) & go to town. I think it'd be a safe bet that you won't be asked to stick around for jury duty!

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
The nurse practitioner I work with said that one time she had jury duty they didn't pick her because it was a DUI case. They asked her if she had ever advised anyone to quit drinking and she answered yes. :laugh:

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I know someone that checked the "felon" box on the questionnaire and they just never sent her anything again:laugh:

VCURamFan
01-05-2010, 11:05 PM
The nurse practitioner I work with said that one time she had jury duty they didn't pick her because it was a DUI case. They asked her if she had ever advised anyone to quit drinking and she answered yes. :laugh:

~Amy
You should figure out what kinda case it is & then just tell them that you have always advised patients against that sort of behavior.

"O this is a rape case? Yes, I've always counseled my patients not to rape, as it's medically unsafe."

"O this is a drug case? Yes, I've always counseled my patients not to do drugs, as it's medically unsafe."

"O this is a internet piracy case? Yes, I've always counseled my patients not to be internet pirates, as it's medically unsafe."

Done & done!!
I know someone that checked the "felon" box on the questionnaire and they just never sent her anything again:laugh:
Kinda like telling the recruiter you're gay, huh? :frantics:

DonnaMaria
01-05-2010, 11:07 PM
I have to go the end of the month Amy. I understand how you feel. It would be one thing if you KNEW that you would be picked, it another to just sit there and wait..........and wonder......and wait some more........

And the court house is about a 50 minute drive from my house. In a very baaaaaad part of the city. ( of course! )

I wonder if they will let me bring my gun for protection............:laugh:

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 11:11 PM
I have to go the end of the month Amy. I understand how you feel. It would be one thing if you KNEW that you would be picked, it another to just sit there and wait..........and wonder......and wait some more........

And the court house is about a 50 minute drive from my house. In a very baaaaaad part of the city. ( of course! )

I wonder if they will let me bring my gun for protection............:laugh:

My instructions said no guns. :unsure-1: And I have to wear business casual. You can get charged with contempt of court and fined if you show up too underdressed. I swear. They make jury duty hard.

~Amy

DonnaMaria
01-05-2010, 11:20 PM
yes.....well........I know all about that part......:ashamed:

I am ashamed to admit that when I was younger I tried to get out of jury duty by telling the judge that I was sort of racist...that I knew a lot of police officers.......you name it.........

and he yelled at me.......:ashamed:told me that he "knew the little game I was playing"......that I wasn't going to get out of it........and he told me to sit down and shut up.......:ashamed:

I did!:ashamed:

And yeah, my instructions said NO GUNS too, but I thought that showing up with one would be a good way of getting OUT of jury duty.........:)

of course.......it would land me right in JAIL!!!! but it WOULD get me out of jury duty! :laugh:

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 11:26 PM
yes.....well........I know all about that part......:ashamed:

I am ashamed to admit that when I was younger I tried to get out of jury duty by telling the judge that I was sort of racist...that I knew a lot of police officers.......you name it.........

and he yelled at me.......:ashamed:told me that he "knew the little game I was playing"......that I wasn't going to get out of it........and he told me to sit down and shut up.......:ashamed:

I did!:ashamed:

And yeah, my instructions said NO GUNS too, but I thought that showing up with one would be a good way of getting OUT of jury duty.........:)

of course.......it would land me right in JAIL!!!! but it WOULD get me out of jury duty! :laugh:

I dunno, they might make you serve as a juror as a sentence for bringing a gun to get out of jury duty. :laugh:

I got out of jury duty once when my kids were little. I wrote in and told them that my beliefs did not allow for anyone but family members to watch my children and that I was a stay at home mom with no family in the state. It was true about me being a stay at home mom and having no family there.

~Amy

Llamafighter
01-05-2010, 11:32 PM
My favorite part of waiting to see if we got selected was one of the grumpy workers at the courthouse walked up to the front and said "listen up, if you DO NOT speak english form a line over at this counter (no one moved). I repeat if you DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH please form a line over here". so a few minutes go by and this little old man walks up and says something in an Eastern European accent. The grouchy dude sighs a big sigh and goes " I told you to come up ten minutes ago if you didn't speak English!"

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 11:40 PM
My favorite part of waiting to see if we got selected was one of the grumpy workers at the courthouse walked up to the front and said "listen up, if you DO NOT speak english form a line over at this counter (no one moved). I repeat if you DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH please form a line over here". so a few minutes go by and this little old man walks up and says something in an Eastern European accent. The grouchy dude sighs a big sigh and goes " I told you to come up ten minutes ago if you didn't speak English!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh: That's awesome. I hope something funny happens so I can laugh at my jury experience.

~Amy

Blade
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM

Reminds me of the time when 10 minutes into a case, the Judge asked a deaf defendant if he could hear what was being said, and the deaf guy looked puzzled and replied 'pardon?'. Simple but made me crack up.

Chuck
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM

~Amy

Nothing to be afraid of. It's just a bluff by the government. And it works...

but not on me. :ninja:

TexasRN
01-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Nothing to be afraid of. It's just a bluff by the government. And it works...

but not on me. :ninja:

I'm gonna laugh when you're on the news being tossed in jail for contempt of court. :angry: :laugh:

~Amy

Chuck
01-06-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm gonna laugh when you're on the news being tossed in jail for contempt of court. :angry: :laugh:

~Amy

Impossible. :cool:

VCURamFan
01-06-2010, 01:24 AM
Impossible. :cool:
Yeah, don't you know it's against the law to arres a man in crocs? That's considered punishment enough!! :laugh:

Primadawn
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
If you want to get out of jury duty, just begin every answer to their questions with "According to the prophecy..." :laugh:

I've always thought it would be interesting to be on a jury, but I've only been called once, and jury selection was to start on my due date for my 3rd child...I was excused...

rearnakedchoke
01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
oh, and i got bored and went and started watching a murder trial .. was very interesting until i got caught and yelled at LOL ... you are told that as a potential juror, you have to stay in the waiting room and not watch any on going trials ...