PDA

View Full Version : Do you think MMA will ever be an Olympic sport?

Play The Man
01-04-2010, 12:04 AM
With talk of GSP considering a try at the Olympic Wrestling Competition, I was thinking, do you think MMA will ever be an Olympic sport? If so, by what year?

bradwright
01-04-2010, 12:21 AM
no chance.

Play The Man
01-04-2010, 12:28 AM
no chance.

Don't forget, they have synchronized swimming, badminton, table tennis, handball, curling, etc. I don't think most people would count those as sports. In addition, there are already numerous martial arts in the Olympics - Judo, TaeKwondo, Wrestling, Boxing. Why wouldn't they ever institute MMA, provided there were strict rules and judging?

bradwright
01-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Don't forget, they have synchronized swimming, badminton, table tennis, handball, curling, etc. I don't think most people would count those as sports. In addition, there are already numerous martial arts in the Olympics - Judo, TaeKwondo, Wrestling, Boxing. Why wouldn't they ever institute MMA, provided there were strict rules and judging?

because it doesn't resemble any of those sports...way to violent for the Olympics.
Taekwondo,Wrestling and even boxing are more of a point based sport in the Olympics and because of the nature of MMA it would never be like that at all.

adamt
01-04-2010, 12:37 AM
With talk of GSP considering a try at the Olympic Wrestling Competition, I was thinking, do you think MMA will ever be an Olympic sport? If so, by what year?

i have a hard time believing the olympics will even last in the same capacity for much longer....

ping pong?

curling?

handball?

badmitton?

croquet?

jeu de pumme?

trampoline and rythmic gymnastics?

i don't know, but it's kinda like giving obama a peace prize....

tug of war? an olympic sport? really?

maybe they should make all the combat sport gold medalist fight each other at the end of the games tournament style, to find out the best combat sport.... wrestler vs boxing, tae kwon do vs greco roman, etc and see who wins, that would be cool.... maybe throw in a gymnast or two, for humor's sake

Play The Man
01-04-2010, 12:42 AM
because it doesn't resemble any of those sports...way to violent for the Olympics.
Taekwondo,Wrestling and even boxing are more of a point based sport in the Olympics and because of the nature of MMA it would never be like that at all.

Good points. If they ever did it, they would probably have restrictive rules about striking, different gloves, well-defined point system, etc.

Tyburn
01-04-2010, 12:53 AM
The only way they could do it is without Rounds. or with Rounds without a specified number of them

What they should do is let the guys fight until one is unable to continue...in which case, some bouts would go on for possibly hours...its not unheard of. Some of the Early Brazillians would use this form.

Tyburn
01-04-2010, 12:56 AM

Dont be silly. The Olympics was based on such things. I know. I have been and I have seen the Original Olympic Stadium at Olympia in Greece. Its small. Its not got a swimming pool, its not got a large track...is ideal for short distance sports, or combat...remember the type of people who would take part.

All of the Atheletes would have been Military almost certainly.

I expect Combat Sports used to make up the majority of the ancient olympics.

bradwright
01-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Dont be silly. The Olympics was based on such things. I know. I have been and I have seen the Original Olympic Stadium at Olympia in Greece. Its small. Its not got a swimming pool, its not got a large track...is ideal for short distance sports, or combat...remember the type of people who would take part.

what year is it right now Dave ?:blink:

atomdanger
01-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Who knows, there are some stupid ones, for sure.

So why not?
But who cares, the Olympics are sort of silly to me.
I am all for competition, but how would it work?
Like boxing, where only ametures can go? lame.

Who would decide the rules?
most likely no elbows.
I believe currently the UFC is the only Large company who allows them.

cheachea
01-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Good points. If they ever did it, they would probably have restrictive rules about striking, different gloves, well-defined point system, etc.

This is actually what I was going to say. It would probally be a very very toned down version of what we see and alot less violent.

County Mike
01-04-2010, 12:16 PM
The olympics has become a little sissified.

When I was in grade school, we used to have "Olympic Day" where all the schools in the city would gather at the high school for a day of competition. At that time, it was basically a big track and field event with your normal competitions of running relays, hurdles, long jumps, shot put, etc.

Now, they have some ridiculous events because they wanted EVERYONE to be involved. There's a parachute game where the kids wave a parachute and try to make a ball fly off the other teams side or something like that. Some other silly ones too. I guess it's cool that the nerds get to participate but it takes away any real incentive for the sedate kids to try being more active.

rearnakedchoke
01-04-2010, 02:06 PM
i don't think so .... i think BJJ should be one though

Robertboxerboy
01-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Agreed BJJ should be an olympic sport. And I agree with you Mike, they got kinda soft. I know it's old news but how can 'sports' like ping-pong be a olympis cport. Really? Ping-Pong?

rearnakedchoke
01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Agreed BJJ should be an olympic sport. And I agree with you Mike, they got kinda soft. I know it's old news but how can 'sports' like ping-pong be a olympis cport. Really? Ping-Pong?

i thought it was beer pong?

J.B.
01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
It's funny that people always laugh at Table-Tennis, but the truth is that it is one of the most popular sports on the planet with an upwards of 1 billion fans worldwide.

MMA as we currently know it will probably never be considered for the Olympics. If they were to try and implement it, they would likely water it down to a great degree and it would be riddled with controversy, similar to Olympic Boxing.

Chuck
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
It's funny that people always laugh at Table-Tennis, but the truth is that it is one of the most popular sports on the planet with an upwards of 1 billion fans worldwide.

MMA as we currently know it will probably never be considered for the Olympics. If they were to try and implement it, they would likely water it down to a great degree and it would be riddled with controversy, similar to Olympic Boxing.

Yeah but subtract the Chinese fans and you end up with 47 fans.......

J.B.
01-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Sure, they dominate that fanbase because their players dominate the game, but that is a LOT of sports. America dominates the Baseball and Football fanbases for that same reason. Also, it's clearly more than 47 people outside of China simply based on how many top competitors have come from eastern Europe and even America.

I'm not saying it's a supreme test of a athleticism or anything, but it is an excellent form of competition that requires great skill and a high level of concentration.

Chuck
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Sure, they dominate that fanbase because their players dominate the game, but that is a LOT of sports. America dominates the Baseball and Football fanbases for that same reason. Also, it's clearly more than 47 people outside of China simply based on how many top competitors have come from eastern Europe and even America.

I'm not saying it's a supreme test of a athleticism or anything, but it is an excellent form of competition that requires great skill and a high level of concentration.

Fine.... I'll round it up to 60 but anything after that is pure speculation!!!! :laugh:

Play The Man
01-04-2010, 10:06 PM

:laugh:

J.B.
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Fine.... I'll round it up to 60 but anything after that is pure speculation!!!! :laugh:

I would say that's a bit more accurate...you know the population has been booming in Eastern Europe.

Max
01-05-2010, 05:18 AM
The only way they could do it is without Rounds. or with Rounds without a specified number of them

Why do it without round? Boxing in the olympics has rounds.

I think they would have to adjust the gloves simply because it will be hard for fighters to fight 5 or 6 times in a 2 week period.

wavetar
01-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Ummm, yeah, you're right...but it's the most obtuse point I've ever seen. We live on this side of 1896...and the modern Olympic games are nothing like the ancient games.

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Ummm, yeah, you're right...but it's the most obtuse point I've ever seen. We live on this side of 1896...and the modern Olympic games are nothing like the ancient games.

Then they should change their name shouldnt they. :angry:

bradwright
01-05-2010, 09:45 PM

:laugh:You Dave are a very funny guy sometimes....even though i'm sure you dont actually realize it.:wink:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
:laugh:You Dave are a very funny guy sometimes....even though i'm sure you dont actually realize it.:wink:

They do play off the Ancient Olympics...most notibly with the Torch.

The words "Citius, Altius, Fortius" mean anything to you :huh: or "Veni, Vidi, Vici" ??

Chuck
01-05-2010, 10:46 PM
They do play off the Ancient Olympics...most notibly with the Torch.

The words "Citius, Altius, Fortius" mean anything to you :huh: or "Veni, Vidi, Vici" ??

Yes....

Do the words... You're, knuckle, head" mean anything to you? :D

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Yes....

Do the words... You're, knuckle, head" mean anything to you? :D

Was I talking to you?? :angry:

The first three words are inscribed on a torch which is lit in Olympia at the site of the Ancient Olympic games...and then it travels around until it reaches the venue for the next modern olympic games

the other three words actually have nothing to do with the olympics, but are used alot in terms of athletic prowess, and easily have the olympic spirit within them :laugh:

Chuck
01-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Was I talking to you?? :angry:

The first three words are inscribed on a torch which is lit in Olympia at the site of the Ancient Olympic games...and then it travels around until it reaches the venue for the next modern olympic games

the other three words actually have nothing to do with the olympics, but are used alot in terms of athletic prowess, and easily have the olympic spirit within them :laugh:

Did you get your period early this month or what???

Lighten up Dave... it was a little humor... lost on you obviously.

Since when is replying to other peoples posts on a message board taboo? If you want to have a private conversation use PM's.

Now grow a pair, man up and quit being so grouchy!!

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Did you get your period early this month or what???

Lighten up Dave... it was a little humor... lost on you obviously.

Since when is replying to other peoples posts on a message board taboo? If you want to have a private conversation use PM's.

Now grow a pair, man up and quit being so grouchy!!

I cant help it...i'm feeling ill :sad:

VCURamFan
01-06-2010, 12:13 AM
I cant help it...i'm feeling ill :sad:
Cramps, mood swings & headaches, perhaps? :blink:

wavetar
01-06-2010, 01:29 AM

They use the name as it inspired the idea of the modern games, and yes we do certain things to pay homage...but there's a reason we differentiate them with the terms 'modern' & 'ancient'.

VCURamFan
01-06-2010, 04:54 AM
They use the name as it inspired the idea of the modern games, and yes we do certain things to pay homage...but there's a reason we differentiate them with the terms 'modern' & 'ancient'.

Correct me on this if I'm wrong, but wouldn't "Modern Olympics" be a different name from "Ancient Olympics"? :Whistle:

Tyburn
01-06-2010, 12:01 PM

:unsure-1: No I justy cold a head cold and a cough that wont go away :sad:

Miss Foxy
01-06-2010, 03:29 PM

LMFAO!!!!!:laugh: We need to send him some Pamprin or Midol!! Dave your so dramatic it's funny!!