PDA

View Full Version : Fighters You Respect

cheachea
12-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Reading the other threads made me think of posting this one. What fighters do you respect and why ?

1. Matt Hughes- I know this is a given , but I really respect Matt for his work ethic and his unashamed love for Jesus Christ. Also his dominance in the cage.

2. Fedor- I love the way he never talks trash and stays true to himself .

3. Wanderlei Silva- He's such a nice guy and he's never quit even though he has gone through adversity.

4. Big Nog- This guy has been through alot. He was run over by a truck as a youth and put in a coma. He won and lost the Pride belt from Fedor and he's had to deal with crappy Staph infections and he's never quit.

5. Forrest Griffen- This guy is a fighter. He got stomped by Silva but bounced back and got the win over Tito.

6 Crocop- I still like Crocop. Through it all he's stayed professional and had a great attitude.

Jason 16
12-28-2009, 12:46 AM
and with cro cop all the things he has done for his country he realy is a great role modle for kids in croatia

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 01:38 PM
:ninja: let me think about this one :ninja:

Spiritwalker
12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I respect anyone that is willing to get in a cage/ring track, field, checker board and competes against another..

It's one of the reasons I love the Olymipcs...

As far as fighters.. the same thing goes.. but I do respect those that conduct themselves in a "good manner"..

Prime Examples....

Randy, Matt Hughes, Chuck, Rich, Matt Hammil, Jon Jones...Fedor, Nog, and the list goes on....

The OTHER side of the specturm....

The Diaz punks, Charles Bennet, Gullaird, Bisping

Crisco
12-29-2009, 10:44 PM
I respect all fighters but I really ADMIRE Matt Hammil

Miss Foxy
12-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Well when you ask who we respect can you be more specific? In reference to respecting the fighter as a person or as a fighter?

Tyburn
12-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Well when you ask who we respect can you be more specific? In reference to respecting the fighter as a person or as a fighter?

Thats the issue im struggling with over this question. also, Respect as in, hold in deep admiration...or respect as in recognition of tallent...or respect as in worth/value?

I dont quite understand the question :unsure-1:

cheachea
12-30-2009, 12:59 AM
I guess it could be either or . It Doesn't have to be specific, just who you respect and why. Sorry for the confusion.

I can kind of understand the challenge it poses. I like Nick Diaz as a fighter, but I can't stand his attitude.

rearnakedchoke
12-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Matt - nuf said
GSP - class
Shogun - same, a lot of people would have been more upset with the outcome of his last fight
Big Nog - seems like a great dude, but he could be callin us all losers in portuguese
Fedor - lets his fists do the talkin

donaldbreland
12-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Matt Hughes and anyone except Kos and Mir.

cheachea
12-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Can a Mod please spell respect in the thread title correctly for me please. LOL, I can't believe it has taken this long for me to realize that I spelled that wrong. Sorry about that guys.

Tyburn
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
:unsure-1: I'm not quite sure how to do that :laugh:

Neezar
12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Can a Mod please spell respect in the thread title correctly for me please. LOL, I can't believe it has taken this long for me to realize that I spelled that wrong. Sorry about that guys.

:unsure-1: I'm not quite sure how to do that :laugh:

:laugh:

I'll do it.

cubsfan47
12-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I respect anyone that is willing to get in a cage/ring track, field, checker board and competes against another..

It's one of the reasons I love the Olymipcs...

As far as fighters.. the same thing goes.. but I do respect those that conduct themselves in a "good manner"..

Prime Examples....

Randy, Matt Hughes, Chuck, Rich, Matt Hammil, Jon Jones...Fedor, Nog, and the list goes on....

The OTHER side of the specturm....

The Diaz punks, Charles Bennet, Gullaird, Bisping

Pretty much agree with this sentiment. "Santa" gave me a complete set of all the UFC events prior to the first PPV I ever saw which was 68 I believe. As I have started to go through these all I can say is that there's an amazing collection of humanity displayed there with all the different fighters. Wow.

Matt Hughes is at the top of my personal favorites. I would add to the numerous others mentioned here Rich Franklin. For me I guess it's a case of admiring them for who they are as well as for what they do.

The others, well while I don't like some of them, I won't write any of them off just yet. They are only human after all. even Bisping.:tongue0011:

Having said this, I will admit I think Junie Browning is on another planet.:laugh:

Miss Foxy
12-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Obviously Matt Hughes I respect in and out of the Octagon.
Nick Diaz I respect as a fighter he can back it up.. However on a person level he can show some more class every now and then, but I still like his fighting skills. Believe it or not I like Anderson Silva as a person/fighter now. I think he is respectful both ways.

F34R
12-30-2009, 04:23 PM
I can respect anyone for putting it on the line.

cheachea
12-30-2009, 05:21 PM

I'll do it.

Thanks Neezer.

Tyburn
12-30-2009, 05:49 PM

I'll do it.

:ashamed: thank Goodness for Denise :w00t:

I dont really exercise my Mod powers much...it took me a while to work out how to lock that Nominations thread...and thats like basic :frantics:

hughesfan4life
12-30-2009, 07:10 PM
for me,the fighters i respect and admire are,matt hughes,chuck,franklin,forrest,and frankie edgar:punch::punch:

Tyburn
12-30-2009, 08:01 PM
See I define "Like" "Respect" and "Admire" as being different things. In cases of Respect I begin by giving everyone the same level of Respect based on intrinsic value. It they are made in the image of GOD then they have worth. So with most people I dont know or havent had contact with, I'd say they get the basic level of respect due to any humanbeing.

On top of that is a level of Respect that comes with their Status. Their worth or value above being human. This "Status" could be some part of their character, it could be their vocation, it could be that they are deemed by society as important.

This Respect level can either grow or drop depending on their interaction with me. If they show good character, are trustworthy, are good at what they do, then the level goes up. If they are basically shyte, then it depends. If they are always shyte then I can cope with that because I know what to expect. Thats why I have more respect for BJ Penn then I do for Cub Swanson. BJ Penn has never pretended to be nice, he's never pretended to be something he isnt. I think he's lacking in character...BUT I dont think he fakes who or what he is. I can have a level of mutual respect for who and what he is, on the understanding that he actually IS who and what I believe him to be.

BUT...what I hate most is Treason and Betrayal. Cub Swanson pretended to be nice, pretended to be of good character, led me along with his supposed morality...and then he turned round and pissed on Pulver...like you wouldnt do if you were the professional you'd made yourself out to be.

Its the snakes that I dont like. I can handle Cherubs, and I can handle Demons....but its the Snake, who pretends to be a Cherub and turns out to be a Demon, that I lose respect for.

flo
12-31-2009, 03:26 AM
I respect almost all the fighters. I think they all, without exception, are warriors just for entering the cage. It would be easier for me to list the ones I don't respect.

Rampage
Bisping
Lesnar
Babaloo

I don't really like the Diaz brothers but I have to say I respect their fighting skills and they are a couple of super-tough guys, can take a whole lot of punishment but they never give up. That is deserving of respect, IMO.

Miss Foxy
12-31-2009, 01:55 PM
See I define "Like" "Respect" and "Admire" as being different things. In cases of Respect I begin by giving everyone the same level of Respect based on intrinsic value. It they are made in the image of GOD then they have worth. So with most people I dont know or havent had contact with, I'd say they get the basic level of respect due to any humanbeing.

On top of that is a level of Respect that comes with their Status. Their worth or value above being human. This "Status" could be some part of their character, it could be their vocation, it could be that they are deemed by society as important.

This Respect level can either grow or drop depending on their interaction with me. If they show good character, are trustworthy, are good at what they do, then the level goes up. If they are basically shyte, then it depends. If they are always shyte then I can cope with that because I know what to expect. Thats why I have more respect for BJ Penn then I do for Cub Swanson. BJ Penn has never pretended to be nice, he's never pretended to be something he isnt. I think he's lacking in character...BUT I dont think he fakes who or what he is. I can have a level of mutual respect for who and what he is, on the understanding that he actually IS who and what I believe him to be.

BUT...what I hate most is Treason and Betrayal. Cub Swanson pretended to be nice, pretended to be of good character, led me along with his supposed morality...and then he turned round and pissed on Pulver...like you wouldnt do if you were the professional you'd made yourself out to be.

Its the snakes that I dont like. I can handle Cherubs, and I can handle Demons....but its the Snake, who pretends to be a Cherub and turns out to be a Demon, that I lose respect for.
I agree with you on that Dave!! I cannot stand snakes. I can appreciate a good debate or rivalry toe 2 toe, but from the back? Heck no!! So at times I will be very cherub like:angel: or very demonic..:devil:hehe

Josh
01-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Matt
Big Nog
Wanderlie
Fedor