PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Of The Year POLL

Tyburn
12-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Here are the Candidate Results...the numbers of Seconds for Top Five have been obscured, and the order in the Poll is Alphabetical to prevent tainting the results

anyone can vote even if they didnt nominate or second, but only one vote.

You have until Epiphany to vote.

Nominations for Fighter of The Year 2009 Candidates

Aoki
Cyborg
Patrick Barry
Michael Bisping
Josh Thompson
County Mike
Liam Henderson
Psykojojo
Matt Veach
Vitor Belfort
Jens Pulver (Seconded Once)
Dan Hardy (Seconded Once)
Big Nog (Seconded Once)
Jon Jones (Seconded Once)
Brian Foster (Seconded Once)
Nathan Marquardt (Seconded Once)
Roy Nelson (Seconded Twice)
Anderson Silva (Seconded Thrice)
George Saint Pierre (Seconded Thrice)
Jose Aldo (Seconded Four Times)

que
12-27-2009, 01:32 AM
cannot see how jens pulver is on there when he lost both fights in the first round this year

jose aldo IMO

Spiritwalker
12-27-2009, 02:27 AM
I never saw Jens seconded...

Tyburn
12-27-2009, 03:07 AM
cannot see how jens pulver is on there when he lost both fights in the first round this year

jose aldo IMO

dont be dumb...neither Jens nor Aldo is in the poll :blink:

Tyburn
12-27-2009, 03:07 AM
I never saw Jens seconded...

I took Jasons monosylabbic answer as a second...not that it got Jens on the ballot paper or anything :sad:

billythekid2000
12-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Why is GSP not on the poll but BJ is? GSP not being in your poll is a glaring omission.

I would've have voted for GSP, but since he's not in your poll, I didn't vote.

Bonnie
12-27-2009, 05:42 AM
You had to nominate who you thought was "fighter of the year" first in Dave's other thread. This is the poll of the top five nominations from that thread.

GSP didn't make it.

que
12-27-2009, 06:45 AM
dont be dumb...neither Jens nor Aldo is in the poll :blink:

why so harsh? don't say i was being dumb. a couple hours ago there was no poll. you only posted text. jens and aldo were among the list and jens was "seconded" and aldo was voted as well. i left and then came back, suddenly the thread was changed into a poll and jens and aldo were not in the poll anymore.

my previous post was referring to what the thread looked like at the time, but obviously some one has changed it since.

Buc Nasty
12-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Why is Aldo not in the poll, he received more votes than anyone?

bj44
12-27-2009, 02:09 PM
How is the person dominating the poll one with a dominating loss this year???

Spiritwalker
12-27-2009, 02:16 PM

that's a really good question....

atomdanger
12-27-2009, 06:14 PM

I think its FOTY, not, who had the most wins this year.
BJ had a HUGE year.

I can't think of anybody else who has had a better year.

He moved up to fight the 170 Champ, lost,
came back from that loss to destroy two people while defending his belt at 155

Maldonado136
12-27-2009, 09:02 PM
its definitely either bj or shogun. shogun went from crappy fights against griffin and coleman to not only hanging with the champ who has dominated all his previous opponents, but pretty much winning the fight. its too bad cecil peoples is dumb. bj has done what he always does at 155 which is destroy people. id probably have to go with bj. oh by the way if aldo was on the poll i would have without a doubt picked him.

Tyburn
12-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Why is GSP not on the poll but BJ is? GSP not being in your poll is a glaring omission.

I would've have voted for GSP, but since he's not in your poll, I didn't vote.

You had five days to make nominations, and five days to second. simply put. those who contributed would dissagree with you. GSP was nominated and seconded not enough times to get into the top five which appear on the poll.
So...its not a "glaring omission" and if you dont wish to vote...then dont vote.

Tyburn
12-27-2009, 10:28 PM
why so harsh? don't say i was being dumb. a couple hours ago there was no poll. you only posted text. jens and aldo were among the list and jens was "seconded" and aldo was voted as well. i left and then came back, suddenly the thread was changed into a poll and jens and aldo were not in the poll anymore.

my previous post was referring to what the thread looked like at the time, but obviously some one has changed it since.

it took about a moment to do the poll (which is done separately) after the thread was posted.

So you must have left increadibly quickly in the time it takes someone to post a poll. :laugh:

Tyburn
12-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Why is Aldo not in the poll, he received more votes than anyone?

No he didnt :blink:

Blade
12-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Good to see Jens Pulver didn't make the shortlist, even mention of his name in any fighter of the year poll was complete nonsense. He'd have about as much chance of winning as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking competition.

Chuck
12-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Good to see Jens Pulver didn't make the shortlist, even mention of his name in any fighter of the year poll was complete nonsense. He'd have about as much chance of winning as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking competition.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just kick Dave directly in the nuts??? :scared0015:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Wouldn't it have been easier to just kick Dave directly in the nuts??? :scared0015:

:cry:

Oh the temptation to just delete this thread and pronouce Jens Pulver as Fighter of the year...is just too immense. :wink:

He is my fighter of the year...so I guess thats all that really counts :)

Spiritwalker
12-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Maybe not easier.. but more fun!!!!

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Maybe not easier.. but more fun!!!!

:angry: I'd like to see you try :angry:

Spiritwalker
12-28-2009, 03:10 PM
:angry: I'd like to see you try :angry:

Come on back then.. :Whistle:

We can have the first International MHF Amature MMA Invitational!

We can have Jens be the ref.....

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Come on back then.. :Whistle:

We can have the first International MHF Amature MMA Invitational!

:laugh:

You wouldnt Dare

:ninja:

Spiritwalker
12-28-2009, 04:41 PM

You wouldnt Dare

:ninja:

Why not? Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned donnybrook.

Miss Foxy
12-28-2009, 06:20 PM

jose aldo IMO

LOL...:laugh:

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Why not? Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned donnybrook.

:huh: a what?

I tell you what, better still...how about when I come over to the US...YOU take me to the shooting range :ninja:

:laugh::laugh:

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 07:13 PM
LOL...:laugh:

:angry: Miss Foxy, try to control yourself :angry:

Miss Foxy
12-28-2009, 07:20 PM
:angry: Miss Foxy, try to control yourself :angry:

I knew I would ruffle your feathers Dave!! haha...:tongue0011:

Crisco
12-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Luv ya dave but you would have a lot more luck putting Jens on the all time lightweight pole but definately not of this year buddy

Spiritwalker
12-28-2009, 08:25 PM

I tell you what, better still...how about when I come over to the US...YOU take me to the shooting range :ninja:

Why? You think I would allow you behind be with a pistol?

Chuck
12-28-2009, 08:26 PM

I'll take ya Dave!

I took Mike... we had a great time. :)

Spiritwalker
12-28-2009, 08:26 PM
I knew I would ruffle your feathers Dave!! haha...:tongue0011:

EVERYTHING ruffels Dave's Feathers.. Tossing Jens into the mix.. makes it worse...

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Why? You think I would allow you behind be with a pistol?

I meant a shooting competition...thats what you do at a range isnt it :huh:

I mean...dont they have little booths with like ear plugs and they have a paper man that you attach to a peg...and then you press a button and the peg goes off down the length of the room...then you see if when you fire you can actually hit the man

I've seen one on TV :)

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I'll take ya Dave!

I took Mike... we had a great time. :)

:laugh: Thats very kind of you Chuck. I probably wouldnt be much good at it to be fair.

BUT I do know where the Saftey catch is :laugh: (I know that from TV too :) )

Spiritwalker
12-28-2009, 08:38 PM

I meant a shooting competition...thats what you do at a range isnt it :huh:

I mean...dont they have little booths with like ear plugs and they have a paper man that you attach to a peg...and then you press a button and the peg goes off down the length of the room...then you see if when you fire you can actually hit the man

I've seen one on TV :)

That's an indoor range, handguns and small caliber rifles. One of the sensei at my dojo has a lot of land.. he has a range where he shots melons, one gallon containers.. and whatever you want to throw down range..

That's fun!!... popping off shots to a paper target... it's ok.. but "gradeschool"

I find it hard to belive that there is no where that you can go and try shooting a pistol.. most indoor ranges you can rent handguns by the hour here..

or just take one off the guy that lost the last fight on the street corner.

Spiritwalker
12-28-2009, 08:40 PM

a donnybrook.. isn't that from your neck of the woods???

Donnybrook –noun (often initial capital letter)
an inordinately wild fight or contentious dispute; brawl; free-for-all

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 09:13 PM
a donnybrook.. isn't that from your neck of the woods???

Donnybrook –noun (often initial capital letter)
an inordinately wild fight or contentious dispute; brawl; free-for-all

What do you think I am...A Hooligan? A ragamuffin?? :mellow: Not all Britons are like Michael Bisping you know :laugh:

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I find it hard to belive that there is no where that you can go and try shooting a pistol.. most indoor ranges you can rent handguns by the hour here..

England have Rifle Ranges...but I dont think there is one anywhere around here. Last I heard they had stopped Handguns even for sport. :mellow:

Spiritwalker
12-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Not all Britons are like Michael Bisping you know :laugh:

I would REALLY hope not...

GnP
01-01-2010, 09:43 AM
MMA weekly thought they would get in on Daves act :)

He made it look easy. He made great fighters look outclassed. He showed the world that featherweights pack a dangerous punch. And Jose Aldo did it all with a style that can only be described as devastating.

For those reasons and a multitude of others, Jose Aldo was been chosen as the MMAWeekly.com Fighter of the Year for 2009.

Entering the year, Aldo was already a blip on the radar of most fans watching the top fighters coming up in the World Extreme Cagefighting’s burgeoning 145-pound weight class. With dominant wins in 2008 over fighters like Alexandre Franca Nogueira and Jonathan Brookins, the stage was set for the Brazilian to take his career to another level in 2009... and that he did.

A string of first round knockouts followed, but maybe none more impressive than what earned Aldo his shot at the WEC featherweight title. A bout against tough as nails competitor Cub Swanson was supposed to be the war of the night, but it turned into a highlight reel knockout.

Before Swanson had a chance to feel like he was in the fight, Aldo flew across the cage and blasted him with a flying knee that sent Swanson crashing to the canvas. Notice had been served to every fighter in the WEC that Jose Aldo was the real deal.

His next fight was against No. 1 featherweight and WEC champion Mike Brown, who had been on quite a tear of his own since winning the championship in 2008. Regarded as an underdog heading into the fight, Aldo took no time in showing that he was determined to wear the belt at night's end.

As Aldo timed his punches and unloaded shot after shot, Brown was overwhelmed and Jose Aldo was the new WEC featherweight champion. As humble as he is skilled, Aldo after the fight said he still felt his title win could have come sooner had he been more aggressive, something he plans to work on.

There is no questioning the path that Aldo is on. He is widely considered the top of his weight class, but is also garnering consideration as one of the best pound for pound fighters on the planet.

Speaking to MMAWeekly.com in November after his title victory, Aldo said it best, “Every night I walk into the cage, I feel like it’s my night.”

Now 2009 belongs to Jose Aldo, as he can add Fighter of the Year to his growing list of accomplishments.

que
01-01-2010, 10:31 AM
i'm glad GSP is not in the poll. i have no idea why he was voted fighter of the year by versus, all of his fights in 2009 were boring as hell IMO.

Tyburn
01-01-2010, 12:12 PM
MMA weekly thought they would get in on Daves act :)

He made it look easy. He made great fighters look outclassed. He showed the world that featherweights pack a dangerous punch. And Jose Aldo did it all with a style that can only be described as devastating.

For those reasons and a multitude of others, Jose Aldo was been chosen as the MMAWeekly.com Fighter of the Year for 2009.

Jose Aldo didnt get enough to make our ballot :unsure-1::laugh:

Tyburn
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Its pretty much certain at present that Our Fighter of the Year looks to be Jay Penn :blink:

GnP
01-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Its pretty much certain at present that Our Fighter of the Year looks to be Jay Penn :blink:

:blink::blink::blink:
I haven't checked my nostradamus lately but isnt Jay Penn, fighter of the year on a Matt Hughes Forum one of the harbingers of doom :laugh:

Tyburn
01-02-2010, 12:51 PM
:blink::blink::blink:
I haven't checked my nostradamus lately but isnt Jay Penn, fighter of the year on a Matt Hughes Forum one of the harbingers of doom :laugh:

:unsure-1: it cant be good, can it. Still...GOD Forbid it be Georges Saint Pierre instead :laugh:

Crisco
01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
BJ's name is Jay Dee.

2 of his brothers are named Jay Dee each being called Jay, Jay Dee and Baby Jay which is BJ.

Why do you insist on calling him Jay Penn David?

Miss Foxy
01-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Woot Woot!!! I heart me some BJ!!!Its pretty much certain at present that Our Fighter of the Year looks to be Jay Penn :blink:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 01:10 AM
BJ's name is Jay Dee.

2 of his brothers are named Jay Dee each being called Jay, Jay Dee and Baby Jay which is BJ.

Because its funny to see people get mad about it. :laugh: and...its his name

rearnakedchoke
01-05-2010, 02:30 AM
i think this is the worst poll ever created by the way ... LOL

Play The Man
01-05-2010, 03:27 AM
So, is Tyburn going to contact Mr. Penn to give him his award and ask for an acceptance speech?

VCURamFan
01-05-2010, 03:31 AM
BJ's name is Jay Dee.

Because it's Dave's passive-aggressive way of subtly disrespecting him without technically being wrong so he can hide behind "precision" when he gets called out on it. O gee, lookey here:

...its his name

Nuff said. :tongue0011:

Miss Foxy
01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Because it's Dave's passive-aggressive way of subtly disrespecting him without technically being wrong so he can hide behind "precision" when he gets called out on it. O gee, lookey here:

Nuff said. :tongue0011:Very true Ben!! You are one sharp cookie and you clearly paid attention in Psychology..

Max
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
So, is Tyburn going to contact Mr. Penn to give him his award and ask for an acceptance speech?

this is a good question and I think Dave should contact BJ and let him know.

Neezar
01-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I think Bas picked GSP as fighter of the year. And he got a Bobblehead doll of himself.

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Nuff said. :tongue0011:

Damn it. :laugh: He's met me one time...and now suddenly im completely transparent. :scared0011:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 05:53 PM
this is a good question and I think Dave should contact BJ and let him know.

You give me a means of communication, and I shall be only too happy.

IF Penn wins...we still have one more days of voting :ninja::laugh:

Play The Man
01-05-2010, 06:18 PM

How about an e-mail to the webmaster at BJPENN.com?

Max
01-05-2010, 06:42 PM

If You go on his website Dave you could get his facebook name, myspace name or twitter name and message him there. Or you could join his web site and message him there. Its up to you.

TENNESSEAN
01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I can see the cagetater headlines now.
BJ Penn receives fighter of the year award from matt Hughes forums.:huh:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
How about an e-mail to the webmaster at BJPENN.com?

I tried that avenue a long time ago! No reply :unsure-1:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 07:21 PM
If You go on his website Dave you could get his facebook name, myspace name or twitter name and message him there. Or you could join his web site and message him there. Its up to you.

I dont do twitter, I've already tried all the BJ Penns on myspace. I've only just started on facebook. I actually do have a profile on his site...and I wasnt able to get through.

No doubt he is very popular and is inundated with messages. The bigger the fighter the less chance there is of getting through to them unless you knew them before they became big OR they are some Forum junkie...like Joe Lauzon for example :laugh:

Spiritwalker
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
I tried that avenue a long time ago! No reply :unsure-1:

And who says Baby Jay fans are dumb.....:Whistle:

VCURamFan
01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Very true Ben!! You are one sharp cookie and you clearly paid attention in Psychology..Never took psychology, but I guess that's because I got enough of it from my mom growing up (she's a therapist). Always had to "resolve conlicts" with my brother with "I feel statements" instead of violence. Much less satisfying!! :muttering: :laugh:

Damn it. :laugh: He's met me one time...and now suddenly im completely transparent. :scared0011:

Dave, if it makes you feel any better, you've always been transparent!:laugh:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Dave, if it makes you feel any better, you've always been transparent!:laugh:

It doesnt :mellow:

VCURamFan
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
It doesnt :mellow:

Yeah, I didn't figure it would!:laugh:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I didn't figure it would!:laugh:

:angry: how rude! :angry:

Spiritwalker
01-06-2010, 12:09 AM
:angry: how rude! :angry:

Everytime you say that.. I hear Jar-Jar Binks in my head...

And you do know it was Jar-Jar's fault that the Empire came to power...

Tyburn
01-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Everytime you say that.. I hear Jar-Jar Binks in my head...

And you do know it was Jar-Jar's fault that the Empire came to power...

Yeah coz like ive given ANY indication that i've EVER been interested in ANYTHING like that before :laugh:

VCURamFan
01-06-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah coz like ive given ANY indication that i've EVER been interested in ANYTHING like that before :laugh:
Yeah, Dave hates things having to do with empires or legacies or Rome. :unsure-1::Whistle::laugh:

TENNESSEAN
01-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Just buy one of those $100 autographed books from his website and have him sign it hey BJ you won fighter of the year from Matt Hughes Forums. :)

Tyburn
01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I can now Reveal that The Matt-Hughes Forums Fighter of the Year 2009 is BJ Penn :rolleyes:

The vote was not unanamous :laugh:

Tyburn
01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
:)

Max
01-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I can now Reveal that The Matt-Hughes Forums Fighter of the Year 2009 is BJ Penn :rolleyes:

The vote was not unanamous :laugh:

so when are you gonna contact BJ and let him know? Maybe someone could make him a banner that says Matt-Hughes Forums Fighter of the Year 2009 for him to put on his site.

Tyburn
01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
so when are you gonna contact BJ and let him know? Maybe someone could make him a banner that says Matt-Hughes Forums Fighter of the Year 2009 for him to put on his site.

I dont think we should blow this out of proportion now, do you. I very much doubt he cares what we think. :laugh:

But you could ask Bill Williams...I seem to recall he is a whiz at creating banners. :)

Max
01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I dont think we should blow this out of proportion now, do you. I very much doubt he cares what we think. :laugh:

But you could ask Bill Williams...I seem to recall he is a whiz at creating banners. :)

Dont worry Dave I will post it on his facebook page how does this sound

"Just wanted to let you know that Matt-Hughes.com had a poll on their forum for fighter of the year for 2009 and you were chosen as the winner. Congrats BJ."

Tyburn
01-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Dont worry Dave I will post it on his facebook page how does this sound

"Just wanted to let you know that Matt-Hughes.com had a poll on their forum for fighter of the year for 2009 and you were chosen as the winner. Congrats BJ."

Thats very lovely Max. Dont forget to add a link so that he may peruse this thread if he so desires :)

Tyburn
01-10-2010, 11:46 AM
well??? have you done it yet :huh: