PDA

View Full Version : Quebec Commission Demands Rule Changes For UFC 97

Country Breakfast
02-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Report: Quebec commission demands rule changes for UFC 97 (Updated)
by John Morgan on Feb 12, 2009 at 8:10 pm ET
The UFC's second trip to Canada may not go quite as smoothly as its first.

According to a report by the French-language website CorusSports.com, Canadian officials have said the UFC is not welcome for an April return trip to the Bell Centre in Montreal with the organization's current policies.

Réjean Thériault, the communications director for the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, which governs alcohol, racing, gambling and combat sports in Quebec, told CorusSports the UFC's use of elbows and knees to the head do not currently fall in line with the commission's policies.

The commission's current policies only apply to boxing, kickboxing and mixed boxing and do not provide regulations on the use of a cage. Thériault told CorusSports that if the UFC was unable to adapt its own policies to the commission's regulations, the company would not be welcome for its planned April 18 event.

UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) it was too soon to know how this revelation would affect UFC 97.

"I don't have enough information right now," Ratner said. "I just know what I've been told, and we're working on it."

Ratner said the UFC is working diligently to ensure the event goes on as planned.

"I just know peripherally, and we're getting all the information," Ratner said. "We've got to make it work."

Thursday's revelation was particularly curious considering the UFC held the highest-attended event in company history, "UFC 83: Serra vs. St. Pierre 2," in Montreal nearly one year ago. According to the report, the commission was unaware of the UFC's 2008 event -- attended by more than 21,000 people and generating $5.1 million in ticket sales -- until just a few days ago.

Thériault went on to state that there was simply not adequate time to make the necessary regulatory changes in order for the UFC to hold an event in Montreal under the Unified Rules of MMA.

Attempts by MMAjunkie.com to reach Thériault for comment were unsuccessful.

According to an additional report by the Canadian-based Sportsnet.ca, the commission is re-evaluating the rules it uses to govern mixed martial arts after confusion over implemented policies for the Feb. 6 debut show of Stephen Patry's Strikebox. While the event was conducted under standard MMA rules, a supposed "gentleman's agreement" to keep the fights standing was allegedly agreed upon by the fighters involved. When main-event competitor James Thompson did not adhere to the alleged agreement, angry fans began peltng the combatants with beer cans and other objects.

The report goes on to state that sources have indicated the commission may be looking to require "a much smaller cage than the UFC's patented Octagon, prohibiting elbow and knee strikes and requiring that the referee to halt a bout should a fighter get knocked down from a strike in order to ensure the downed fighter is OK to continue."

Country Breakfast
02-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Mods, sorry about the double post. The first time I tried to post it said "server error", so I posted it again.

Country Breakfast
02-13-2009, 01:12 AM
I hope the UFC doesn't cave to this. If so, they might as well break out the headgear and 10oz gloves now.

Hughes_GOAT
02-13-2009, 01:28 AM
isn't 97 supposed to be GSP vs Alves?

atomdanger
02-13-2009, 01:42 AM
No elbows?
No knees?
and the ref has to stop it every time a fighter gets knocked down?

Looks like no UFC events in Canada

Bonnie
02-13-2009, 03:01 AM
No elbows?
No knees?

I don't get it. Do they want boxing or MMA? :unsure-1:

Hughes_GOAT
02-13-2009, 03:09 AM
elbows out is fine with me. but you need knees if that's the case. one or the other.

either way, the UFC can find a new place to have it.

matthughesfan21
02-13-2009, 03:15 AM
If I was the UFC, I'd say so long then...Montreal can make big money with the ufc there, its not like the UFC can't find a different venue somewhere else...

lc87
02-13-2009, 03:36 AM
I thought 97 was anderson vs leites

matthughesfan21
02-13-2009, 03:38 AM
I thought 97 was anderson vs leitesit is

UFC 97: Redemption
Date: Apr 18, 2009
Venue: Bell Centre (Le Centre Bell)
Broadcast: Pay per view

* Middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites
* Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
* Luis Cane vs. Steve Cantwell
* Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann
* Ed Herman vs. David Loiseau
* Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry
* Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Denis Kang
* Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk
* Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman
* David Bielkheden vs. Mark Bocek
* Ryo Chonan vs. T.J. Grant

Hughes_GOAT
02-13-2009, 03:47 AM
it is

UFC 97: Redemption
Date: Apr 18, 2009
Venue: Bell Centre (Le Centre Bell)
Broadcast: Pay per view

* Middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites
* Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
* Luis Cane vs. Steve Cantwell
* Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann
* Ed Herman vs. David Loiseau
* Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry
* Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Denis Kang
* Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk
* Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman
* David Bielkheden vs. Mark Bocek
* Ryo Chonan vs. T.J. Grant

why would the UFC do a show there without having GSP involved? it's his hometown.

Hughes_GOAT
02-13-2009, 03:48 AM
now that i look at the list, they have a lot of Canadians, just not the most important one.

lc87
02-13-2009, 03:59 AM
He's probabaly still in good enough shape to fight if he really wanted to.

Hughes_GOAT
02-13-2009, 04:08 AM
they should have waited for GSP's next fight or pushed the GSP/Penn fight onto this card. it makes bad business sense to not have him on this card.

ufcfan2
02-13-2009, 04:12 AM
I don't get it. Do they want boxing or MMA? :unsure-1:
Thats what it sounds like plus they are asking for a smaller cage as well?:unsure:

I really don't understand what they are trying to accomplish with this just hope the UFC can get this cleared up before.
Strikeforce had one and they had a 'gentlemens agrrement' not too grapple,lol okay..Josh Thompson was a reble and did his own thing and fans started pelting with beer cans and stuff. LoL, I'd be more upset if I was going to an MMA show and a boxing match broke out..Whats next the combatants goto middle of cage and break out a single glove and slap eachother in the face and say lets duel...:frantics:

lc87
02-13-2009, 04:24 AM
Is stikebox a part of strikeforce? And that's a prime example of why alcohol in number is a bad idea at any sporting event. Anytime something is thrown at or torward an athlete is retarded.

And to plan a card in canada with out your numer 1 canadian is like a card in england with out bisping not smart

Jonlion
02-13-2009, 09:14 AM
UFC should tell them where to go, its an MMA event and you dont have gentlemans agreement, if you can smash be standing up then you better believe im gonna go to my strenghts, take you down and ground and pounds or use Ju Jitsu.

The UFC is bringinng as huge some of money over, the'll work it out. Otherwise, they can just go elsewhere!

KevinD
02-13-2009, 11:52 AM
And to plan a card in canada with out your numer 1 canadian is like a card in england with out bisping not smart[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't understand MMA fans in Canada. The UFC is popular here. It may be GSP's hometown, but the UFC brand is much bigger than GSP. There are some big stars fighting on that card and that is more than enough to sellout the Bell Centre again.

As far as the Quebec comission goes, they are just playing dirty with the UFC. They have held many MMA events in that province under the Unifed Rules of MMA. Now all of a sudden they want to change the rules? They want money or some kickback, something to sweeten the pot a bit. I hope the UFC can still have this event go forward, then never return to the province of Quebec again!

Neezar
02-13-2009, 01:14 PM
...... It may be GSP's hometown, but the UFC brand is much bigger than GSP.

*gasp*

Nooo! You don't say!

:laugh:

rearnakedchoke
02-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Damn Canadians .. go and mess everything up .. they had a great show, made lots of money and now go and screw things up ... with this crap economy, this is a big blow to Montreal .. first they lose the Canadian Grand Prix and now they are shooting themselves in the foot by removing even more income from that city ..

rearnakedchoke
02-13-2009, 01:19 PM
they should have waited for GSP's next fight or pushed the GSP/Penn fight onto this card. it makes bad business sense to not have him on this card.

They would have still sold out, just not in 30 seconds or whatever ridiculous amount of time they did last time ... but man, they need to legalize it here in Toronto soooooooooon ...

Ten minutes from where I live ... I would have to go ...

rockdawg21
02-13-2009, 01:31 PM
When did Quebec become full of hippies like California?

Oh well, guess South Park had it right. Blame Canada!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2548876648_07b46d7ae5.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/238/455400758_4f9779f766_o.jpg

KevinD
02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Damn Canadians .. go and mess everything up .. they had a great show, made lots of money and now go and screw things up ... with this crap economy, this is a big blow to Montreal .. first they lose the Canadian Grand Prix and now they are shooting themselves in the foot by removing even more income from that city ..

CORRECTION: there is a big difference between Canadians and Quebecers!

Crisco
02-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Indeed.

They consider themselves more french then canadian or some none sense like that right?

rearnakedchoke
02-13-2009, 02:57 PM

nah .. they are canadian ...people from newfoundland are different, people in the west, heck they want to separate ... sure quebec has their separatist views, ...and even here in toronto, we think we are special, we are the centre of the universe (we are by the way .. lol)

ufcfan2
02-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Can't we all just get along :unsure:

Canadians,French Canadians,Quebecers blah blah blah. Ppl just get too caught up in this stuff,its not working for the middle east:Whistle:

Back on topic: I don't think Bisping nor GSP have to be on the cards in Canada or England. It's not just gonna work out that way and nor should it.
I'm not sure why this rule was'nt brought up the first time they were in Canada,but /shrug.

hizo64
02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Isnt Pepe' Le Pue from Canada? lol

KevinD
02-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Isnt Pepe' Le Pue from Canada? lol

He is on the nights when I eat pork and beans for supper!!

County Mike
02-13-2009, 06:46 PM
If those sissies can't handle knees and elbows, then the UFC should just go somewhere else.

On a similar topic, I have this item for sale:

One French Assault Rifle in good condition. Never fired. Dropped once.

bradwright
02-13-2009, 08:16 PM
If those sissies can't handle knees and elbows, then the UFC should just go somewhere else.

you guys make it sound like the people in Quebec are responsible for this when in fact its a few old school guys that have no idea what its really all about that make the decisions,,
if it were the people of Quebec that made the decisions ,,heck not only would they allow knees to the head they would probably make it manditory for the fighters come in to the Octagon packin,,maybe not guns,, but knives for sure,,those people are nuts over there,,

Chuck
02-13-2009, 09:27 PM

:happy0198: :happy0198:

Of course being half French I should laugh.....

VCURamFan
02-13-2009, 10:55 PM

:laugh:Ooo, a chance for me to break out my anti-french repertoire!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7501/1196/1600/french_soldierofsurrender.1.jpg

My favorite screen shot EVER!!!
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7501/1196/1600/FrenchDefeats.1.jpg

And now, the greatest history lesson ever, all thanks to the men & women at AlbinoBlackSheep.com:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Chuck
02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Ooo, a chance for me to break out my anti-french repertoire!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7501/1196/1600/french_soldierofsurrender.1.jpg

My favorite screen shot EVER!!!
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7501/1196/1600/FrenchDefeats.1.jpg

And now, the greatest history lesson ever, all thanks to the men & women at AlbinoBlackSheep.com:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

wayyy more impressive if we could actually see the pics Ben :tongue0011:

atomdanger
02-14-2009, 12:28 AM
elbows out is fine with me. but you need knees if that's the case. one or the other.

either way, the UFC can find a new place to have it.

Yeah but elbows out can't even work for the UFC,
they can't change certain rules for fights in certain areas, thats absurd.

Jason 16
02-14-2009, 12:28 AM
No elbows?
No knees?

so it's a ten 8 round if you pull guard?:scared0011:

atomdanger
02-14-2009, 12:29 AM
so it's a ten 8 round if you pull guard?:scared0011:

lol I gues so.

I don't really understand how anybody could think you would be able to have an MMA even with those rules???

matthughesfan21
02-14-2009, 01:11 AM

:laugh:Now that I know this, I would not be as scared getting on your bad side if you concealed carried, probably can't shoot anyway, or you run before you can pull the trigger

Hughes_GOAT
02-14-2009, 03:57 AM
Yeah but elbows out can't even work for the UFC,
they can't change certain rules for fights in certain areas, thats absurd.

well since they would be in Canada, they could change the rules. they're are telling them essentially, change the rules or fight somewhere else. doesn't mean they will though.

Pride never had elbows and they did just fine. i wouldn't miss them if they were taken out.

Tyburn
02-15-2009, 07:28 PM
The commission MUST be lying if it claims it had no knowledge of previous UFC in Canada. How can they not know??

Why would they want to change the rules considering one of their natives hold a belt?

LOL I hope this isnt a united Canadain response for the accusation against that Native

Tyburn
02-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Is stikebox a part of strikeforce? And that's a prime example of why alcohol in number is a bad idea at any sporting event. Anytime something is thrown at or torward an athlete is retarded.

And to plan a card in canada with out your numer 1 canadian is like a card in england with out bisping not smart
:huh: are you English?

I'd personally rather see the Americans then English fighters... :unsure-1:

Tyburn
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM

You obviously don't understand MMA fans in Canada. The UFC is popular here. It may be GSP's hometown, but the UFC brand is much bigger than GSP. There are some big stars fighting on that card and that is more than enough to sellout the Bell Centre again.

As far as the Quebec comission goes, they are just playing dirty with the UFC. They have held many MMA events in that province under the Unifed Rules of MMA. Now all of a sudden they want to change the rules? They want money or some kickback, something to sweeten the pot a bit. I hope the UFC can still have this event go forward, then never return to the province of Quebec again!

Yes I think you are right. I think the strikebox event might have upset them but...I cant help thinking they are playing silly beggers because their top MMA fighter has...well...he's not fighting...so it does no harm to say its not right to lable someone a cheat...

I've worked for big institutions...I honnestly wouldnt put it past them to be upset at the fact that Penn has accused GSP and that the commission are looking into it..and that there has been a policy change in the UFC because of it. So they are using the Strikebox disastor as an excuse to get whatever it is they want from the UFC

I dont mean to make it sound like a conspiracy...but...why else would they pretend they didnt know about GSP/Serra event :huh:

Tyburn
02-15-2009, 07:39 PM
nah .. they are canadian ...people from newfoundland are different, people in the west, heck they want to separate ... sure quebec has their separatist views, ...and even here in toronto, we think we are special, we are the centre of the universe (we are by the way .. lol)
:laugh: Yeah...ever heard of "Cornwall" ? its a Shire in England on the South Coast that once dared to declair itself independant from England :blink: they want to be their own little country or something...but they are like minute in size

I guess you could call them separatist :laugh:

Canadians are a bit like Brits with American Accents. They think like us, rather then Americans, their culture is far more European then it is American...but the French Canadians I dont know much about...They probably think like Continental Europe...which is not quite the same as a British view....perhaps they are like the Reverse European scenario. Britian, the tiny Island that never wants to completely embrace Europe...perhaps Quebec is like trying not to completely embrace Canada...with Europe, the majority of the landmass is plugged into the European way of thinking, but with Canada the majority is plugged into the British way of thinking...so ideally...we'd like for England and Quebec to swap places, then Quebec could be reunited with France and the European View would be cemented. Likewise, The English could all pick up the American Accent, but keep with the British way of thinking...course we wouldnt be completed even there.

There is one other place on Earth besides Canada and England that is plugged into the British way of thinking.

Austrailia :)