PDA

View Full Version : Fedor v Werdum in April

GnP
12-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Before the dust settled on Saturday night’s Strikeforce: Evolution event, the questions came fast and furious at CEO Scott Coker, prompting him for the direction the promotion is headed... and he had plenty of answers.

Foremost on everyone’s mind is the return of Fedor Emelianenko. Coker confirmed plans for Fedor’s return on the promotion’s next CBS event, slated for sometime in mid-to-late April.

“It’s not confirmed... (but) on that fight card, you’ll most likely see Fedor fighting Fabricio (Werdum),” he revealed. “It’s not guaranteed, but you will see Dan Henderson fighting on that card, and Gina Carano, we’ll invite her if she’s ready.”

Henderson’s opponent hasn’t been finalized yet either, but he is expected to challenge current middleweight champion Jake Shields under the watchful eye of CBS.

Pressed about heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, the CEO said, “We’re probably gonna invite Alistair to fight on the CBS card,” dispelling initial plans for an earlier return.

Coker also has big plans outside of the April fight card, particularly in the lightweight division. He intends to expand on Strikeforce’s relationship with Japanese fight promotion Dream.

First up are bouts for Gilbert Melendez and Josh Thomson, who had another battle in their rematch on Saturday night.

“(Shinya) Aoki and Gilbert and do (Tatsuya) Kawajiri vs. Thomson,” said Coker, mapping the road for his two top 155ers, intending to pit them against two other top lightweights in the world.

He insists those are plans for Melendez and Thomson, not just hopeful talk. He’s targeting the second quarter of 2010 to make both those fights happen.

“I think we’ve done some really big things in the last eight months. Making that Dream relationship activate, to me, is critical and important, because otherwise we’re just talking. It’s taken a long time to get to this point, but I think we’re on the cusp of making it happen.”

I can only see this ending quickly and badly for Werdum, didnt think he looked top tier in the UFC. Looks a good card though if this also has Hendo Shields on it too.

CAVEMAN
12-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Werdum........:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::lau gh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh ::laugh:

Llamafighter
12-21-2009, 05:24 PM
I predict Fedor by 1st round KO.

Irish Pride
12-21-2009, 06:09 PM
*Yawn* :rolleyes::angry:

Vizion
12-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Agreed (see above post)

Josh
12-21-2009, 07:01 PM
I would be willing to bet Werdum puts up at least a decent fight. If it goes to the ground it should be interesting. Besides Nog Werdum may be the best ground fighter Fedor has faced so far.

Crisco
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I would be willing to bet Werdum puts up at least a decent fight. If it goes to the grund it should be interesting. Besides Nog Werdum may be the best ground fighter Fedor has faced so far.

Yea only problem is Werdum has great BJJ not MMAJJ.

Fedor via KO rd 1

Josh
12-21-2009, 10:44 PM

Fedor via KO rd 1

I don't know if I would go quite that far. Over half of his wins are by Sub. He Kimura'd Aleks who is no stranger to the ground. Not to mention he didn't get subbed by Nog and beat Gonzaga twice. I actually think if (more like when) Fedor beats him it should help Fedor's P4P status a little. Plus all I said is that IF it hits the ground it could be interesting. I am sure Fedor will beat him with standup.

atomdanger
12-22-2009, 12:02 AM

Fedor via KO rd 1

How do you figure he doesn't have great MMA BJJ?

bj44
12-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Most people Forget that Werdum has beat Gonzaga twice... Not that Gonzaga is a world beater but he can beat anyone on a given night with the power and ground game he has!!!!

Jason 16
12-22-2009, 02:42 AM
werdum got kicked after loseing to jr dos santos who is a monster