PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Of The Year...who would you choose?

Tyburn
12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
:ninja: and why :huh:

If you could nominate any fighter for such an award who would it be? Perhaps it would be for an outstanding performance? or the best performance this year? perhaps it would be for something really impressive that they had said or done? An Exciting Debut? perhaps for their long and storied career over the years, or contribution to MMA.

...lets say...for arguments sake, that Matt Hughes is excluded, because obviously as Loyal Patrons on this forum, he would win any such vote by a landslide...let leave him out of it. (its only fair for the other fighters who couldnt win if he were nominated :laugh:...oh...and Mark Hughes is included in that, so dont think of nominating him either :ninja: )

If this generates a could deal of response...I'll post a poll that will run for the twelve days of Christmas...so you have until then to nominate.

You can nominate as many fighters as you wish, you can also second other peoples nominations...presuming we get a good response, the top 5 (with most seconds for nominations) will appear on in the poll, where you can only vote for ONE...so now is the time to second as many as you want.

All you need is a valuable reason why your fighter/s should be awarded

Tyburn
12-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Just to clarify

Nominations 20th December-25th December
The Vote 26th December-6th January
The winner announced 7th January 2010

You have to be a Registered Patron to Nominate
You have to be a Registered Patron to Second
Rules to vote are as for all polls where only one choice is accepted

You must state a reason in order to Nominate
You may nominate as many as you like
You can Second as many Nominations as you like
Top five most seconded Nominations will appear in Ballot

Oddtodd76
12-20-2009, 02:24 PM
here is my first nomination:

BJ Penn: He continues to prove me wrong. Especially, after the destruction of Diego Sanchez. He is the most dominate 155lb fighter. He had two fights at 155lb this year, and destroyed both of them.

Tyburn
12-20-2009, 02:31 PM

BJ Penn: He continues to prove me wrong. Especially, after the destruction of Diego Sanchez. He is the most dominate 155lb fighter. He had two fights at 155lb this year, and destroyed both of them.

I will second that. His skill is undeniable, and it has been a very good year for him if you stick strictly to 155lb division at any rate :)

My First Nomination is Jens Pulver Other then Randy Couture he is the only person with so much public support that he still appears like a winner even when he doesnt win, and he hasnt won in a while now, and the WEC still want him back. THAT is an achievement :)

please note, you dont have to aggree with a reason to second someone :laugh:

Jason 16
12-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I will second that. His skill is undeniable, and it has been a very good year for him if you stick strictly to 155lb division at any rate :)

My First Nomination is Jens Pulver Other then Randy Couture he is the only person with so much public support that he still appears like a winner even when he doesnt win, and he hasnt won in a while now, and the WEC still want him back. THAT is an achievement :)

please note, you dont have to aggree with a reason to second someone :laugh:

shocker

Bonnie
12-20-2009, 04:59 PM
My first nomination is also BJ Penn. He is at his best at 155 as proven by his last two fights in which he totally owned his opponents. :punch:

My second nomination is Lyoto Machida for his championship win over Rashad Evans. Awesome.

J.B.
12-20-2009, 05:21 PM
My fighter of the year would probably be Fedor just because of how dominant he has been throughout his career and this year he managed to still maintain his relevance without backing down from what he feel he deserves from the organization he fights for.

bradwright
12-20-2009, 05:27 PM

although i dislike BJ very much and i truly do look forward to the next time GSP pounds the crap out of him again, i would have to in all honesty second your choice of BJ Todd and here is why...BJ took a humiliating beating at the hands of GSP and i really thought that might have broke him mentally and he would just disappear from the UFC and we would never hear from him again,but it didn't... and not only did he come back to fight again but he beat 2 very worthy opponents in convincing fashion and stands atop of the 155 division with no end to his reign any where in sight... and for that, i would say.... he deserves... fighter of the year.
if everyone only knew how hard that was for me....now if you will excuse me i have to go throw up.

Jason 16
12-20-2009, 05:49 PM
mine will be shogun for going from haveing every one think he is crap and over hyped (the forest and mark fight) to kicking lyoto machida's ass.

Irish Pride
12-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Brock Lesnar. Beat a UFC/Pride Veteran, a UFC hall of famer and champion and then a UFC veteran and interim champion after such a short time training in the MMA world.

Chris F
12-20-2009, 07:21 PM
I second Brock Lesnar and nominate Roy Nelson for his TUF win inspite of what Dana wanted and the fact that even Fat guys can throw down. He may not be exciting but he can fight. :punch:

Jonlion
12-20-2009, 08:35 PM
I can barely remember all the fights this year!!!!!!!

But BJ certainly stands up, aso Ill second that and but for my pick I'll choose the Dragon, Lyoto Machida.

Still undefeated, great champion and all culminated in the most destructive KO I have seen.

atomdanger
12-20-2009, 09:06 PM
BJ Penn.

Who had a better year than BJ Penn?
He came from his loss to GSP to walking through Kenny and Diego in dominant fashion with a renewed sense of himself and some impressive cardio.

Josh
12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I nominate Aoki. He had a great year beating Gardner, Ribiero, and Hansen. I considered BJ but his loss to GSP kind of hurt him. I also considered GSP but he only fought twice and one of those was a LW so for me it's Aoki.

Tyburn
12-20-2009, 09:54 PM
shocker

do I take that as a second :huh::laugh:

Black Mamba
12-20-2009, 10:08 PM
My first nomination would be Cyborg due to her dominating wins and how she captured the first belt in the 145 lb division over Carano.

I also second the nominations of Fedor and BJ Penn.

Max
12-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I nominate Aoki. He had a great year beating Gardner, Ribiero, and Hansen. I considered BJ but his loss to GSP kind of hurt him. I also considered GSP but he only fought twice and one of those was a LW so for me it's Aoki.

Aoki got KOed in 27 sec against Mach. That is a worse loss than BJ

I will say Hardy. He is 3-0 and has earned himself a shot at GSP.

Rev
12-20-2009, 10:35 PM
BJ, for dominating his class and exposing GSP for being the greasy champion that he is.:devil:
that should get some Canadians, oops, I mean people stirred up.:happydancing:

Tyburn
12-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Right.

I would also like to nominate Patrick Barry. He's a suckerpunch fighter, and I was quite impressed by him. He is also a gentleman following his losses, he's very honnest and very respectful.

I would like to Nominate Jose Aldo...I dont think anyone has had quite the run of it this year that he has. From Zero to Hero so to speak in WEC

Josh
12-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Aoki got KOed in 27 sec against Mach. That is a worse loss than BJ

I will say Hardy. He is 3-0 and has earned himself a shot at GSP.

Maybe but he beat better fighters than BJ did. BJ is the man no doubt but he just made me mad in the GSP fight. He was my favorite fighter for several years but that just bugged me. I still like him but I would like to see him fight some guys that were not incubated by the UFC.

Silverback
12-21-2009, 12:40 AM
My first nomination is also BJ Penn. He is at his best at 155 as proven by his last two fights in which he totally owned his opponents. :punch:

My second nomination is Lyoto Machida for his championship win over Rashad Evans. Awesome.

I must agree, BJ Penn, (as first) and will also agree with Lyoto Machida, that fight started out lame but that knockout! :punch::punch::punch:

Vizion
12-21-2009, 03:12 AM
I want to say Matt because of the beating he gave Serra, but Dave is restricting us so I'll go with another.

I'm going with Fedor for bucking Dana White and signing with Strikeforce and for putting on a great fight with an exciting finish against Brett Rogers, and for being a humble, God-fearing man, of course :wink:

Neezar
12-21-2009, 04:52 AM
I think I need the year in review first. :)

Max
12-21-2009, 06:13 AM
I want to say Matt because of the beating he gave Serra, but Dave is restricting us so I'll go with another.

I'm going with Fedor for bucking Dana White and signing with Strikeforce and for putting on a great fight with an exciting finish against Brett Rogers, and for being a humble, God-fearing man, of course :wink:

I think Matt should be able to be nominated. If we are really making this a "Fighter of the Year" award it should be based on what the fighter has done this year though.

County Mike
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
I nominate Michael Bisping for being on the receiving end of the gnarliest knockout I've seen in a long time, and living to tell about it.

GnP
12-21-2009, 11:31 AM
although i dislike BJ very much and i truly do look forward to the next time GSP pounds the crap out of him again, i would have to in all honesty second your choice of BJ Todd and here is why...BJ took a humiliating beating at the hands of GSP and i really thought that might have broke him mentally and he would just disappear from the UFC and we would never hear from him again,but it didn't... and not only did he come back to fight again but he beat 2 very worthy opponents in convincing fashion and stands atop of the 155 division with no end to his reign any where in sight... and for that, i would say.... he deserves... fighter of the year.
if everyone only knew how hard that was for me....now if you will excuse me i have to go throw up.

I second this it makes me physicaly sick to admit it but at 155 he is the man.

I also second the lesnar nomination he has been devistating in all his wins this year

GnP
12-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I would also like to nominate Jon Bones Jones

Should have three wins this year really barring a mistake. Looks better in every fight and may well become a top force in the 205 divison next year.

GnP
12-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Strange one due to not many fights but Anderson, his destruction of forrest was epic

ufcfan2
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Hard to remember all the fights that happened this year..
I'd think I'd have to go Lyota I guess with BJ/Shogun a close second...Then could also throw in Jon Bones Jones/Roy Nelson in that debate as well.

GnP
12-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Hard to remember all the fights that happened this year..
I'd think I'd have to go Lyota I guess with BJ/Shogun a close second...Then could also throw in Jon Bones Jones/Roy Nelson in that debate as well.

woop dave can I count that as a second?

Tyburn
12-21-2009, 12:07 PM

:laugh: Listen...if I put Matt Hughes on the ballot paper, he would win... we all know he IS fight of the year, every year...so if you want to think of this as a runner up prize...please do :laugh:

cubsfan47
12-21-2009, 12:09 PM
mine will be shogun for going from haveing every one think he is crap and over hyped (the forest and mark fight) to kicking lyoto machida's ass.

I second this.

After last saturday I would also like to nominate Josh Thompson. Just for having a true fighter's spirit.

cubsfan47
12-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I nominate Michael Bisping for being on the receiving end of the gnarliest knockout I've seen in a long time, and living to tell about it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Buc Nasty
12-21-2009, 12:41 PM
I vote for Shogun. He beat two hall of famers and as we all know should also be the first to have the Dragon on his list of victims.....not to mention possession of the LHW title.

http://www.mmaphotoshops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/shogun-lhw-champ.jpg

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
I nominate BJ,Lyoto,Brock and Roy Nelson! I just ain't figured out in what order yet!

Llamafighter
12-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I vote for Shogun. He beat two hall of famers and as we all know should also be the first to have the Dragon on his list of victims.....not to mention possession of the LHW title.

http://www.mmaphotoshops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/shogun-lhw-champ.jpg

I agree. He had the most ground to cover.
BJ actually beat his two biggest challenges *at 155* after getting the beating of a lifetime from GSP so it would be a tie.

*edit*

Miss Foxy
12-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I would vote Bj Penn..He had 2 wonderful comeback fights since the controversy with GSP..A lot of people slammed him for what he did and called him lazy and fat..He don't look either or if you ask me :wink:

rearnakedchoke
12-21-2009, 03:26 PM
i'd have to say brock for winning the title in his fourth fight, aldo for going 4-0 and winning the title, shogun with the controversial title loss, shoulda been 3-0, GSP for defending the title twice, but lack of action knocks him down in these rankings ...

Primadawn
12-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Gosh...soooo difficult! If I had to pick just one, I'd have to go with BJ too, even though I am NOT a fan...you just cannot deny the man his due.

I also second (third? fourth?) Machida and Aldo

CAVEMAN
12-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Fedor!

Buc Nasty
12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Aldo is a great shout. I love BJ but I don't think beating Florian and Sanchez is enough. Brock has only fought once in the last 12 months.

Tyburn
12-21-2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3qfgLnQ5EE

im so proud of this thread I even mentioned it in my weekly blog. :laugh:

lets keep it up people!! :frantics:

logrus
12-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Penn, he's made huge leaps and bounds in his desire to be the most unstoppable 155 pounder.

hughesfan4life
12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
my pick would have to be bj penn.he seems unstoppable at the moment.:punch::punch:

Chuck
12-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Get control of your thread Dave my boy!!!

We have nominations out there all over the place...2nds, 3rds even...

I need a summary.. this is confusing!!! :huh:

Tyburn
12-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Get control of your thread Dave my boy!!!

We have nominations out there all over the place...2nds, 3rds even...

I need a summary.. this is confusing!!! :huh:

you just keep nominating and seconding Chuck. You dont need to add anything up just yet. :laugh:

ERStettin
12-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Anderson Silva....with a distant second to BJ Penn.

Anderson is really looking unbeatable at several weight classes and BJ Penn is already unbeatable at his weight class.

KevinD
12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
1. BJ PENN he doesn't fight tomato cans, just the best fighters and destroys them.
2. BROCK LESNAR he became champ and revenged his only loss, with very little experience, he is a beast.
3. COUNTY MIKE he paid me big money to nominate him.

Preach
12-22-2009, 05:35 PM
LW would be BJ PENN
WW would be GSP
MW would be Anderson
LHW would be Shogun If you ask me he won the title fight against Lyoto.
HW would be FEDOR

Tyburn
12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
1. BJ PENN he doesn't fight tomato cans, just the best fighters and destroys them.
2. BROCK LESNAR he became champ and revenged his only loss, with very little experience, he is a beast.
3. COUNTY MIKE he paid me big money to nominate him.

:laugh: I'm also nominating two other forum members...Liam Henderson, and Psykojojo :happydancing:

Play The Man
12-23-2009, 01:24 AM
LW would be BJ PENN
WW would be GSP
MW would be Anderson
LHW would be Shogun If you ask me he won the title fight against Lyoto.
HW would be FEDOR

I would have to review the whole thread again but isn't this the first post nominating GSP? If so, I will second for GSP. I don't want to get caught up in the whole GSP vs. BJ argument on the forum; however, their fight occurred in January of 2009. If we are picking "Fighter of the Year" and the year is 2009, I don't know how you could chose Penn over GSP given the results of that January 2009 fight.

GnP
12-23-2009, 08:26 AM
I would have to review the whole thread again but isn't this the first post nominating GSP? If so, I will second for GSP. I don't want to get caught up in the whole GSP vs. BJ argument on the forum; however, their fight occurred in January of 2009. If we are picking "Fighter of the Year" and the year is 2009, I don't know how you could chose Penn over GSP given the results of that January 2009 fight.

Will also nominate GSP I didn't to save getting into the usual GSP BS that acompanys his name on this site :)

Buc Nasty
12-23-2009, 11:59 AM
If we are picking "Fighter of the Year" and the year is 2009, I don't know how you could chose Penn over GSP given the results of that January 2009 fight.

Greasy Steroid Poof had one other fight in 2009 which went to a decision. BJ had two fights and finished both decisively so overall I'd say BJ was the more impressive.

VCURamFan
12-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I just looked back over the thread & realized I hadn't posted yet (coulda sworn I did right after getting Dave's harrassing PM :wacko::tongue0011:), but here's my 2 bits:

2nd BJ, 2nd Anderson, Nominate Brian Foster & Matt Veach (both may be 1-1 in the UFC, but each have a dominating finish in their win & a FotN bonus in their loss).

wavetar
12-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Sigh...I'm a GSP fan, but I think he had a better year last year...wins over Hughes, Serra for the belt and then Fitch, all after suffering a humiliating defeat to Serra in 2007.

So, I have to go with BJ as well, as he basically duplicated the same thing...dominating wins over the best in his division after a humiliating defeat. I thought (and hoped) he would just disappear, but he proved a motivated BJ is one of MMA's most dangerous fighters.

I would like to nominate Nate Marquardt as well...his Mortal Kombat finish of Gouveia and subsequent 21 second KO of Demian Maia were both awesome.

VCURamFan
12-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Sigh...I'm a GSP fan, but I think he had a better year last year...wins over Hughes, Serra for the belt and then Fitch, all after suffering a humiliating defeat to Serra in 2007.

So, I have to go with BJ as well, as he basically duplicated the same thing...dominating wins over the best in his division after a humiliating defeat. I thought (and hoped) he would just disappear, but he proved a motivated BJ is one of MMA's most dangerous fighters.

I would like to nominate Nate Marquardt as well...his Mortal Kombat finish of Gouveia and subsequent 21 second KO of Demian Maia were both awesome.
O, good call. I'll second Nate.

Oddtodd76
12-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Oh, I got another one...
Vitor Belfort

my reason why: He's back!

Tyburn
12-23-2009, 08:40 PM
(coulda sworn I did right after getting Dave's harrassing PM :wacko::tongue0011:),.

:laugh: you werent the only one to receive one of them :ashamed:

Miss Foxy
12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Greasy Steroid Poof had one other fight in 2009 which went to a decision. BJ had two fights and finished both decisively so overall I'd say BJ was the more impressive.
Ooh how it burns them GSP lovas!! But oh so TRUE!!:happydancing:

bradwright
12-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Ooh how it burns them GSP lovas!! But oh so TRUE!!:happydancing:

BJ isn't any where near as good a fighter as GSP is...the only reason i acknowledged him as fighter of the year is because he came back to fight and win at a weight class more suited to his talents after GSP laid a humiliating beating on him...thats pretty much it...if BJ ever stepped up to fight GSP again it would just be more of the same so i'm not sure what you are trying to get at here...the bottom line is BJ is at the top of the food chain at 155 but middle of the pack at best at 170....sorry to burst your bubble and ruin your Christmas for you but those are the facts:wink:.

Tyburn
12-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I am going to Second Rua, and Hardy, and Brian Foster

Quit arguing about GSP and Penn...lets have more names, not long now before this thread is closed

NAMES people! Come on!!

I want to Nominate Nog also, :ninja:

rearnakedchoke
12-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I am going to Second Rua, and Hardy, and Brian Foster

Quit arguing about GSP and Penn...lets have more names, not long now before this thread is closed

NAMES people! Come on!!

I want to Nominate Nog also, :ninja:

big or little????

i still stick to my nom of jose aldo ...

Tyburn
12-25-2009, 12:35 AM
big or little????

i still stick to my nom of jose aldo ...

Big...I think. The one who was Coach on TUF :)

rearnakedchoke
12-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Big...I think. The one who was Coach on TUF :)

that would be Big Nog .... Yes

Tyburn
12-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Nominations and the ability to Second a Nomination for the 2009 Fighter of The Year award have closed.

The Polls will open tommorow for Twelve Days :)