PDA

View Full Version : Jane Fonda and Vietnam (thoughts?)

Black Mamba
02-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I've been working on a paper for English pertaining to a soldier's experience during the Vietnam War (Tim O'Brien: Things They Carried: "On the Rainy River") , and was doing some research on Jane Fonda.

Until now I had no idea how traitorous that woman was. Why is "Hanoi" Fonda still living in the US after siding with the enemy? And for those who aren't familiar with what she did, here's what happened: Jane Fonda toured North Vietnam in 1972, and during that time she got friendly with the enemy and did a broadcast of anti-American propaganda over Radio Hanoi. Fonda also participated in a staged press conference with American servicemen held captive by the Viet Cong. The purpose of was to "prove" that the POWs were not being mistreated by their captors; however years later when POWs were finally able to described their experiences, Fonda called them "hypocrites and liars.

And there are some sites that report she turned down signed papers from POWs who wrote their personal information to give to back to their families in the US. According to snopes.com, that information is suppose to be false, but I'm not buying that.

hizo64
02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Ya I saw a documentary on A&E where they were interviewing the POWs, and they said that they mananged to scribble their social security numbers and names on tiny slips of paper. So that when she would shake all there hands they would transfer them to her. One of the other guys said they felt fishy about her so they all decided to act like robots too, as a backup plan. They wanted to look like they were zombified from the abuse of their captures. I really wish I could remember the show....

NateR
02-12-2009, 07:13 PM
She's a traitor and really needs to be put to death for her crimes. Her little stunt actually caused the deaths of many American POWs, not to mention the devastating effect her visit to North Vietnam had on the morale of our troops serving in Southeast Asia.

My dad served in Vietnam and he absolutely hates that woman, many other vets have made it one of their missions in life to ensure that her treachery is NEVER forgotten.

Bonnie
02-12-2009, 07:56 PM
She's a traitor and really needs to be put to death for her crimes. Her little stunt actually caused the deaths of many American POWs, not to mention the devastating effect her visit to North Vietnam had on the morale of our troops serving in Southeast Asia.

My dad served in Vietnam and he absolutely hates that woman, many other vets have made it one of their missions in life to ensure that her treachery is NEVER forgotten.

What she did was terribly wrong. I can totally understand how those vets after living that nightmare still hold anger and resentment towards her. I thought she did apologize years later :unsure-1:; I know that does not remove or cancel the damage she did at the time. She's had to live with the consequences of her actions and obviously it's something that will follow her through the end of her life.

All of us must be responsible citizens during times of war even when we disagree with those who make the decisions to go to war and the reasons behind it.

Your dad and the other vets have already paid a high price for that war and are still paying; I hope they've been able to find some peace in their hearts and minds, not for anyone else, but for themselves. :)

J.B.
02-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it don't get much worse than Fonda in the realm of Hollywerid's left wing loons. She is indeed a traitor and should be in jail.

CAVEMAN
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
She was and is the typical Hollywood "don't live in reality", far left liberal nut job!

kyle
02-13-2009, 04:56 AM
Well why don't you ask John McCain and the other POW's at the Hanoi what they think of her. If you asked me I think she was flirting awfully close with treason.....I believe in freedom of speech but remember there is a price for that freedom and it comes at the expense of our military to fight for it.

During a 1972 trip to N. Vietnam, Jane Fonda propagandized on behalf of the N. Vietnamese government, declared that American POW's were being treated humanely and condemned U.S. soldiers as "war criminals" and later denounced them as liars for claiming they had been tortured.

^^^^she said this about our soldiers She may apologized for what she did or said, but I truly believe she would still do the same thing today. She caused a lot of problems and to me she is a murderer. She may not have killed anyone personally but a lot of people died over their and even when they came back here some committed suicide because of some of the things Fonda and the other idiots said when they got back like do "not hail the POW's as hero's. because they are hypocrites and liars," that is another quote by Fonda

Bonnie
02-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Well, all I can say is I don't think she would have faired well in a cage trapped like an animal and tortured. I never understood how Americans could spit on our returning soldiers and call them baby killers. I was like, "what in the world do you think war is?". People die in war! Civilians are going to get killed in war.

I think it was horrible how they were treated when they returned home. People expected them to return home the same as when they left, but, they coudn't because they weren't the same. They expected them to just pick up their lives and continue on and just put all the things they saw and had to do behind them. If the people at home couldn't bear to hear or know about the horrors over there how in the world could they expect the ones coming back from it to just "forget" about it. I think it was shameful, just shameful how they were treated when they returned home. :cry:

I wonder if Jane Fonda, today, realizes how the North Vietnamese "used" her for their propaganda campaign. She played right into their hands. I wonder why she wasn't charged with treason and colluding(?) with the enemy. Like that Johnny Walker Red (?) guy.

TexasRN
02-13-2009, 03:35 PM
What she did was terribly wrong. I can totally understand how those vets after living that nightmare still hold anger and resentment towards her. I thought she did apologize years later :unsure-1:; I know that does not remove or cancel the damage she did at the time. She's had to live with the consequences of her actions and obviously it's something that will follow her through the end of her life.

All of us must be responsible citizens during times of war even when we disagree with those who make the decisions to go to war and the reasons behind it.

Your dad and the other vets have already paid a high price for that war and are still paying; I hope they've been able to find some peace in their hearts and minds, not for anyone else, but for themselves. :)

I'm with Nate on this. Death. Should have sent her butt to another country to live, revoke her US citizenship, and fire at her if she tries to set foot on American soil again. Or my favoried, good old fashioned shooting squad. Line em up, aim, shoot.

~Amy

hizo64
02-13-2009, 04:04 PM
My dad served in Vietnam with the Marine Corp. and met the guy that spit his tobacco chew in her face! He shook his hand like he was the president lol. Heres a link to the story on it http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1052328,00.html

Black Mamba
02-14-2009, 12:45 AM
She deserved that (the spit in the face) if you ask me. I've also read that Fonda back in 1999 was voted as the top 100 best women in the century or something like that. :no:

Primadawn
02-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Disgusting and disgraceful.

(She did get my abs in fantastic shape in the late 80's, but I didn't know about this then! I've totally let them go since I found out!:laugh:

Black Mamba
02-14-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm kinda upset that I didn't know about Fonda sooner. I've always been such a huge advocate for POWs/MIAs and now I feel robbed for not knowing.

Josh
02-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Disgusting and disgraceful.

(She did get my abs in fantastic shape in the late 80's, but I didn't know about this then! I've totally let them go since I found out!:laugh:
She also was on my wall about that time. I think I was like ten or so. Why my parents let me have a poster of her working out makes no sense to me. I agree that she should be charged with treason and shot.