PDA

View Full Version : Looks like they are slipping in the start of a gun grab!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-20-2009, 01:15 PM
FeedbackGovTrack.us
Bill Search:

Congress > Legislation
H.R. 45: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009
111th CongressThis is a bill in the U.S. Congress originating in the House of Representatives ("H.R."). A bill must be passed by both the House and Senate and then be signed by the President before it becomes law.
Bill numbers restart from 1 every two years. Each two-year cycle is called a session of Congress. This bill was created in the 111th Congress, in 2009-2010.
The titles of bills are written by the bill's sponsor and are a part of the legislation itself. GovTrack does not editorialize bill summaries.

2009-2010

Primary Source
See H.R. 45 on THOMAS for the official source of information on this bill or resolution.

We ran an experiment to see if the GovTrack community could collaboratively write a letter to Congress against this bill. See the group letter we delivered in May 2009.
Summaries
Congressional Research Service Summary
The following summary was written by the Congressional Research Service, a well-respected nonpartisan arm of the Library of Congress. GovTrack did not write and has no control over these summaries.

1/6/2009--Introduced.
Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license application, issuance, and renewal requirements.
Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.
Prohibits: (1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions; (2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act; (3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours; (4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; or (5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.
Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.
Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse; (2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and (3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer.
Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.
Because the U.S. Congress posts most legislative information online one legislative day after events occur, GovTrack is usually one legislative day behind. For more information about where this data comes from, see About GovTrack.us.

Outlaw6
12-20-2009, 04:04 PM
I am an NRA member, a multiple gun owner (including one assault rifle) and I have no issue with the above bill. It might be more restrictive than the status quo, but I see nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

I am suffering through the NFA process of buying another SBR (LWRC REPR 12"), but I think it's fine and the process is there for a reason.

If we had a few tougher gun laws, things like the Virginia Tech massacre may have been avoided.

At the same time, if they allowed gun owners to carry on that particular campus, it could have cut the rampage short too.

I am one of those nut jibs that carry openly in my town, but again, I don't have any issue with what is posted above.

Is there more to it?

NateR
12-20-2009, 04:50 PM
If Obama's Healthcare plan passes, then I can definitely see that emboldening the Democrats to go after our gun rights next.

Nice to see you back, Outlaw6! :cool:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I am an NRA member, a multiple gun owner (including one assault rifle) and I have no issue with the above bill. It might be more restrictive than the status quo, but I see nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

I am suffering through the NFA process of buying another SBR (LWRC REPR 12"), but I think it's fine and the process is there for a reason.

If we had a few tougher gun laws, things like the Virginia Tech massacre may have been avoided.

At the same time, if they allowed gun owners to carry on that particular campus, it could have cut the rampage short too.

I am one of those nut jibs that carry openly in my town, but again, I don't have any issue with what is posted above.

Is there more to it?

I don't like the idea of declaring my Guns on my tax return! I don't like having to be licenced! I don't like all the fee's they will want to charge! I don't like a few other things it does! Hopefully folks will look it up and really think about it! Its a big step towards a gun grab! First they will make to expensive for all but the rich to have a gun! Then they will start looking for excuses to deny Folk's a licence! Especially those that whoever is in charge don't like!

CAVEMAN
12-21-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not so much worried about the gun control legislation anymore. I think this administration is going to go through the back door and bankrupt the country. Then most folks will not be able to afford to buy guns or ammo. Once were all broke and in need of help, that's when they will come and help take the guns. This administration has that all figured out.

Tyburn
12-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't like the idea of declaring my Guns on my tax return! I don't like having to be licenced! I don't like all the fee's they will want to charge! I don't like a few other things it does!

then run for congress and change the bill yourself. :)

Let me know how your campaign goes. :)

Tyburn
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM
This administration has that all figured out.

:laugh: No, the Democrats are not nearly that clever :laugh:

Tyburn
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM

Is there more to it?

I REMEMBER YOU!! :happydancing: