PDA

View Full Version : Hendo vs Shields Being Finalized For April CBS Event

snakerattle79
12-17-2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Dan-Henderson-vs-Jake-Shields-being-finalized-for-April-CBS-Strikeforce-event.html

Newly signed Strikeforce superstar Dan Henderson is in "end stage" negotiations to face Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields at the organizations next CBS event in April.

FiveKnuckles.com learned of the impending match-up from sources close to the organization, and though bout agreements have yet to be signed, the fight is in the process of being finalized according to multiple official sources.

Henderson (25-7) is coming off of three-straight wins over Rousimar Palhares, Rich Franklin, and Michael Bisping, respectively, to close out his recent UFC stint. He leaves the organization as one of its top middleweight contenders and gave champion Anderson Silva one of his biggest challenges when the two met at UFC 82 back in March of 2008.

A true legend of the sport, Henderson is the only fighter to simultaneously hold two titles in two separate weight classes for a major organization (Pride). After Pride's demise, he was picked up by the UFC where he battled UFC champions Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (light-heavyweight) and Anderson Silva (middleweight) to two straight losses before rebounding, as mentioned, to win his next three outings.

He'll jump right into the fire with Strikeforce against Shields for the organizations' middleweight championship title.

Shields (24-4-1) hasn't lost a fight in over five years, producing 13-straight wins over that span. The Cesar Gracie product was forced to move up to middleweight from welterweight due to a lack of quality competition and was tossed directly into the fray against top-5 middleweight Robbie Lawler in his middleweight debut in June of this year.

He quickly dispatched of the much larger Lawler via guillotine choke in the very first round of their five-round scheduled contest to earn Strikeforce's middleweight title. He then defended that title last month against the highly regarded Jason "Mayhem" Miller at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers.

Strikeforce's upcoming April event is set to be its second on CBS. The first was headlined by Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers which drew 5.46 million viewers, landing the fight among the top-10 most watched MMA contests in history.

Emelianenko is also scheduled to anchor the April card as well, though an opponent for that match up has yet to be named.

Llamafighter
12-17-2009, 03:26 PM
this would set up Lawler vs hendo for the belt after hendo crushes Shields.:w00t:

cheachea
12-17-2009, 03:52 PM
I really hope Hendo destroys Jake "The Human Blanket" Shields. :w00t:

VCURamFan
12-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Shields will finally get destroyed.

Josh
12-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Man this will be a great fight.

bj44
12-19-2009, 07:58 AM
shields has proven people wrong before

CAVEMAN
12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Say goodbye to your title run, Jake!:laugh: This fight isn't even fair!

Tyburn
12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Henderson by headbutt in first, groin kick in second, and eye poke in the third :angry:

Psykojojo
12-22-2009, 08:06 PM
shields has proven people wrong before

Don't know if I agree with that, he's never faced off against this caliber opponent. I never really had Jake as an underdog before, I have picked against him but I've always thought most of his fights would be competitive (I would like to see the Yushin Okami fight, haven't seen it yet which is weird considering I'm a fan of yushins). Shields held on for dear life against mayhem because he was affraid, hendo is sharper/stronger on the feet and is infinintly more dynamic in the wrestling department. I don't think shields can take Hendo down, I don't think he'll even come close, but he will try because it's his most effective weapon (and i'm pretty sure that will be the only thing going through his head after he tastes some of that leather). Hendo will use his wrestling to keep it up and pistol whip shields on the feet, probably ends it in the 2nd but possibly a decision. shields has never faced anyone who will hit him as hard as Hendo will and have the wrestling to shrug him off and do it again. I'm not saying it's impossible, but in my head, I can't picture Shields finishing a takedown on Dan, his only chance is to pray for the lord to channel lightening through his right hand and have him throw a punch unlike any he's ever thrown before, absolutly flatlining Hendo in the process, something much better/stronger strikers have rarely accomplished

VCURamFan
12-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Don't know if I agree with that, he's never faced off against this caliber opponent. I never really had Jake as an underdog before, I have picked against him but I've always thought most of his fights would be competitive (I would like to see the Yushin Okami fight, haven't seen it yet which is weird considering I'm a fan of yushins). Shields held on for dear life against mayhem because he was affraid, hendo is sharper/stronger on the feet and is infinintly more dynamic in the wrestling department. I don't think shields can take Hendo down, I don't think he'll even come close, but he will try because it's his most effective weapon (and i'm pretty sure that will be the only thing going through his head after he tastes some of that leather). Hendo will use his wrestling to keep it up and pistol whip shields on the feet, probably ends it in the 2nd but possibly a decision. shields has never faced anyone who will hit him as hard as Hendo will and have the wrestling to shrug him off and do it again. I'm not saying it's impossible, but in my head, I can't picture Shields finishing a takedown on Dan, his only chance is to pray for the lord to channel lightening through his right hand and have him throw a punch unlike any he's ever thrown before, absolutly flatlining Hendo in the process, something much better/stronger strikers have rarely accomplished
This. + juan

Spiritwalker
12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Henderson by headbutt in first, groin kick in second, and eye poke in the third :angry:

yeah right....My take is Jake backs out because he is allergic to "studs".

Llamafighter
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tyburn
12-23-2009, 08:30 PM

Well it wouldnt be the first time Henderson won that way :mellow:

hughesfan4life
12-23-2009, 08:30 PM
i talk to jake shields on facebook (very nice guy by the way!!).i actually asked him about the fight with hendo and he said there is nothing 100% but there is a good chance it may happen.

Tyburn
12-23-2009, 08:38 PM
i talk to jake shields on facebook (very nice guy by the way!!).i actually asked him about the fight with hendo and he said there is nothing 100% but there is a good chance it may happen.

I talk to him, and his parents also :laugh::laugh:

Spiritwalker
12-24-2009, 12:49 AM
I talk to him, and his parents also :laugh::laugh:

You know in America, stalking is a crime...

Spiritwalker
12-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Well it wouldnt be the first time Henderson won that way :mellow:

Yeah.,.. well.. a stud is a stud.....

Hendo is great.. Hendo is Da Man....

Josh
12-24-2009, 03:08 AM

Dave I thought you are a fan of Kongo. Henderson is a class act as anyone that knows him and comments about him in interviews says. You are just fighter bashing and its starting to get pretty lame.

Neezar
12-24-2009, 03:39 AM
Dave I thought you are a fan of Kongo. Henderson is a class act as anyone that knows him and comments about him in interviews says. You are just fighter bashing and its starting to get pretty lame.

:applause:

Tyburn
12-24-2009, 11:47 AM
You know in America, stalking is a crime...

I wasnt stalking him. I knew his Parents before I knew him :)

Tyburn
12-24-2009, 11:49 AM

I know Kongo, but I dont really approve of his tit-for-tat low blows. Nevermind what he does in interviews, I know what I saw him do in his match against Rich Franklin and it was FAR from classy.