PDA

View Full Version : Oral Roberts Passes

MattHughesRocks
12-16-2009, 03:25 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-27339-Cincinnati-Pop-Culture-Examiner~y2009m12d15-Televangelist-Oral-Roberts-dead-at-the-age-of-91

CNN News reported on the story that a spokesperson for the family of Oral Roberts made the announcement of the evangelist's passing earlier today ,stating that Oral Roberts died from complications of pneumonia following being hospitalized after a fall on Saturday in a Newport Beach California hospital.

Robert's had some previous health problems ,suffering from two heart attacks in the 1990's and a broken hip in 2006.

Oral Roberts' began his television career in 1955 after resigning from his pastoral ministry back 1947. He then began conducting evangelistic and faith healing crusades across the United States, with thousands of followers waiting in lines to await Oral Roberts to pray for them.

Roberts was proceeded in death by his daughter who tragically was killed along with her husband in a plane crash in 1977, followed by his son Ronald who was sadly reported to have committed suicide later in 1982,and later by his wife of 66 years Evelyn who passed away at the age of 88.

Vizion
12-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Hmmm...I don't know that much about the man...was he the one who was crying on TV and saying that God would "take him home" if viewers didn't send him a million dollars or something? That may have been someone else?

Either way I hope he was saved before he died.

Spiritwalker
12-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Hmmm...I don't know that much about the man...was he the one who was crying on TV and saying that God would "take him home" if viewers didn't send him a million dollars or something? That may have been someone else?

I thought it was..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_Roberts

In January 1987, during a fundraising drive, Roberts announced to a television audience that unless he raised $8 million by that March, God would "call him home."[13][14] Some were fearful that he was referring to suicide, given the impassioned pleas and tears that accompanied his statement. He raised $9.1 million.[15] Later that year, he announced that God had raised the dead through Roberts' ministry.[16] Some of Roberts' fundraising letters were written by Gene Ewing, who heads a business writing donation letters for other evangelicals such as Don Stewart and Robert Tilton.[17]

To quote Bono from U2.. and I loath him..

"The God I believe in isn't short of cash mister.."

Chris F
12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
He was one of the fathers of the Greed Gospel. Early in his ministry he was very solid theologically. About the time televangelism exploded he fell of the wagon and became a prosperity pimp. One good thing is he did nto teach the Jesus died spiritually heresey like Hagin, Copeland, and the like. Just a couple of weeks ago another mega church prosperity pastor passed here in Tulsa as well.(Billy Joe Daugherty). I also hope they made things right and rejected their man made doctrines and bowed to Jesus and the cross.

Tyburn
12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
:unsure-1: i've never heard of him.

cubsfan47
12-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I used to live in Tulsa.

In front of the "prayer tower" on the ORU campus was a giant sculpture of folding praying hands. The local joke was that if you watched long enough one of the hands would morph into an outstretched palm.

Jonlion
12-18-2009, 11:19 PM
I forget who it was that said this but a great thinker writes about how absurd it is people who climb the ladder in the clergy or whatever in the church is truly thinking if they do it with wrong hearts.

Like Dude, everyone on earth thinks your holy and you made it to the top but you dont fool God!

Aint sayiny this is the case here but just an observation.

I am sorry to hear the passing of this guy though

God Bless

Vizion
12-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Interesting thing is the WORD OF GOD SHALL NOT RETURN VOID.

That is to say, no matter WHO speaks it, even a heretic (not saying Oral was at the time of his death)...

So, the power of God's Word was spoken through the voice of this man...interesting....

MattHughesRocks
12-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Yeah....and look what happened :unsure:

cubsfan47
12-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Oral Roberts was in fact the very first "televangelist." I believe he started broadcasting in 1954; before that he traveled around holding tent revivals.

There is no doubt that he led many people to the Lord. Some of the other stuff he has done may have been harmful. But it isn't my job to weigh them in the balance.

Chris F
12-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Oral Roberts was in fact the very first "televangelist." I believe he started broadcasting in 1954; before that he traveled around holding tent revivals.

There is no doubt that he led many people to the Lord. Some of the other stuff he has done may have been harmful. But it isn't my job to weigh them in the balance.

Christians are commanded in Matthew to judge. To many people only read the judge not lest ye be judged but read the entire context. We are commanded to judge especially the so called preacher and teachers. Not sure why so many Christians have bought into this lie that it is not their job to judge the fruits of person and their teachings of pastors.

cubsfan47
12-20-2009, 02:47 PM
That's an interesting viewpoint. As I read 7 Matthew verses 1 and 2 together, I see what you mean about the way in which verse 1, taken by itself, can be distorted, or as you say, used for black mail.

For me, we are being advised that we we be judged in the same ways that we choose to judge others; it does not tell us that we shouldn't judge. I also feel that verses 3, 4, and 5 advise us to "clean up our own act" and not just criticize others.

I don't know how many times I have heard the accusation, "I didn't think you Christians were supposed to judge others. How can you criticize this other person?"

Well I guess I'll just have to remember to carry my pocket version of the New Testament.

What I meant about Oral Roberts is that I don't know how God, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, will evaluate the life of Oral Roberts.

Chris F
12-20-2009, 07:27 PM
That's an interesting viewpoint. As I read 7 Matthew verses 1 and 2 together, I see what you mean about the way in which verse 1, taken by itself, can be distorted, or as you say, used for black mail.

For me, we are being advised that we we be judged in the same ways that we choose to judge others; it does not tell us that we shouldn't judge. I also feel that verses 3, 4, and 5 advise us to "clean up our own act" and not just criticize others.

I don't know how many times I have heard the accusation, "I didn't think you Christians were supposed to judge others. How can you criticize this other person?"

Well I guess I'll just have to remember to carry my pocket version of the New Testament.

What I meant about Oral Roberts is that I don't know how God, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, will evaluate the life of Oral Roberts.

Basically it is saying when you judge do so by the right standard that standards being Jesus and not our own viewpoints. Keep in mind the bible was not written with chapter and verses so the judging need to be in context of the entirety of scripture. But just in chapter 7 a few verses down does it not begin to speak about false teachers and fruits of those teachers? That is my point sir. His fruit was not always very tasty if you will.

Chris F
12-20-2009, 07:28 PM

You and me both sir.