PDA

View Full Version : Dissertation Abstract

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 07:26 PM
As this came up in another thread. I thought I'd give you the abstract and contents for it.

Acts Of Aggression

Professional Wrestling, Cinematic Horror and The Violence Seeking Impulse

What Motivates people to enjoy watching and participating in dangerous sports and activites?

This paper presents arguments for the existance of a psychological mechanism self-labelled The Violence Seeking Impulse (VSI) The paper begins by exploring the psychological basis of motivation, to uncover evidence for the existance of the VSI as a motivational force in human behaviour.

The paper uncovers arguments that the VSI is an offshoot of an ancient primary drive that once allowed humans to hunt and protect themselves. The paper displays the hypothesis that the expression of the VSI still exists today but is curbed by morality and gives historic examples of this.

It moves on to examine how the VSI is gratified in the modern age. Professional Wrestling is used as the prime example through the document to show how symbolic violence and the ways in which we understand this may act as an escapist cathartic vent. The paper explores theories surrounding the display of dominance and submission (Foucault) power (Nietzsche) humiliation, and what effect this has on masculinity as protrayed in Pro-Wrestling (Bathes) Continuing through the symbolism of the cinematic horror genre. The question is asked "Is their a particular VSI personaility type?" this prompts the exploration of "thrill seeker" psychology. The paper ends with thoughts on the morality of violence and this societies attitude to phenomena like Redemptive Violence (wink)

This document combines a psychological and philosophical analysis of the sports-entertainment industry and the morality of simulated violence. This paper concludes that the VSI has its main tolerated expressions limited to sport and the horror genrem and that the watchers and participents gratify the VSI through climactic experiences known as "the rush", that the conditions for such involve danger, excitement and risk. It concludes that simulated violence is tollerated by society (usually as a sport) due to saftey rules, and cinema because the violence is only real in fantasy, although the symbolism is very real indeed.

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Contents

Part One - Morality, Symbolism and Society

Introduction

Chapter One -The basis of the VSI
Chapter Two - The History of the VSI
Chapter Three - The Symbolic Code

Part Two - The VSI Expressed

Chapter Four - Professional Wrestling
Chapter Five - Blurring Boundaries
Chapter Six - Thrill Seeker Psychology

Part Three - Moral Consequences

Chapter Seven - Hypocisy

Conclusion

:) I only wish I had known about Mixed Martial Arts...it would have made a very different, and fantastic addition to this thesis. It was completed in summer 2003

Tyburn
12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Glad this has attracted so much attention :laugh::mellow:

Neezar
12-17-2009, 02:04 PM
:laugh:

Tyburn
12-17-2009, 04:22 PM

not quite the attention I was seeking...but never mind :ashamed:

Neezar
12-17-2009, 05:36 PM
not quite the attention I was seeking...but never mind :ashamed:

Hey, at least I'm here. :biggrin-1:

Tyburn
12-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey, at least I'm here. :biggrin-1:

:ashamed: indeed you are! :w00t:

Neezar
12-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Now what? :unsure-1:

Blade
12-17-2009, 09:49 PM
For what it's worth I agree with the premise of your dissertation Dave, it's just a pity you weren't into mma when you wrote it, because that is probably an even better example of this VSI thingy than wrestling and you would have enjoyed writing it even more, though saying that your dissertation would have then just been about Jens Pulver and gotten horribly off-topic, and you would have flunked, so maybe it's a good thing you didn't know about mma back then lol.

Tyburn
12-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Now what? :unsure-1:

who knows :ninja:

Tyburn
12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
For what it's worth I agree with the premise of your dissertation Dave, it's just a pity you weren't into mma when you wrote it, because that is probably an even better example of this VSI thingy than wrestling and you would have enjoyed writing it even more, though saying that your dissertation would have then just been about Jens Pulver and gotten horribly off-topic, and you would have flunked, so maybe it's a good thing you didn't know about mma back then lol.

Yes, it would have been much better, because my biggest example was symbolic violence....not actual violence in sport.

If I had done it into MMA I would have discovered Jens Pulver almost THREE YEARS earlier :laugh:

TexasRN
12-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Yes, it would have been much better, because my biggest example was symbolic violence....not actual violence in sport.

If I had done it into MMA I would have discovered Jens Pulver almost THREE YEARS earlier :laugh:

Dave, that's 3 YEARS of your life wasted without knowing Jens!!!

~Amy

Tyburn
12-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Dave, that's 3 YEARS of your life wasted without knowing Jens!!!

~Amy

:sad: I know. I feel such a dumbass...You know that I never even knew that Jens Pulver existed when he was Champion. I have never in all my fandom of Jens known him to hold a Championship belt. Ironic isnt it...but I also look on it another way...I dont need to see him with any belt. Thats part of whats nice about this...I dont care about that. I only want what will make him happy...as for me...If he loses every single fight, or never fights again, it wont change a thing, and my sadness isnt my dissapointment, its my distress that the loss causes him upset. Do you follow?

...and yes, I told him that when I saw him, and he understood perfectly :)

cubsfan47
12-18-2009, 01:16 PM
When the dissertation I wrote was bound and placed in the university library, on a bet I placed a $50 in it. After 30+ years, that $50 is still there.

Brilliant scholarship isn't always appreciated.:laugh:

Neezar
12-18-2009, 01:33 PM
When the dissertation I wrote was bound and placed in the university library, on a bet I placed a $50 in it. After 30+ years, that $50 is still there.

Tyburn
12-18-2009, 07:33 PM

:blink: Firstly...your Dissertation was bound and put in your Univeristies Library :huh:

They never did that with mine :unsure-1: I just got two ringbound copies (one single sided, one double sided) and the third one which was submitted to the board of examiners. :sad:

Secondly...are you trying to tell me you left money in it, and went back three decades later and the money was still there...and...that means noone has actually read your book :huh::laugh:

:huh:What was your Dissertation about :)

cubsfan47
12-19-2009, 11:15 AM
1."Back in the day" at most U.S. universities one copy of all dissertations were shipped to the University of Michigan for processing. The were microfilmed there and an abstract was published in a journal naturally entitled "Dissertation Abstracts".

The dissertations were bound locally and placed in a special section of the university library.

There was a special fee assessed to cover the cost of all this.

I believe this custom is still largely in place in the U.S..

2. There was a comedian who joked about most dissertations never being read, and told a story about placing money in one. On a dare, I decided to do the same. What was a joke turned out to be true. In my experience anyway.

3. My dissertation was about how employers determine how much to invest in on the job training of their employees.....I still have an unbound copy somewhere.

Tyburn
12-19-2009, 11:24 AM
1."Back in the day" at most U.S. universities one copy of all dissertations were shipped to the University of Michigan for processing. The were microfilmed there and an abstract was published in a journal naturally entitled "Dissertation Abstracts".

The dissertations were bound locally and placed in a special section of the university library.

There was a special fee assessed to cover the cost of all this.

I believe this custom is still largely in place in the U.S..

2. There was a comedian who joked about most dissertations never being read, and told a story about placing money in one. On a dare, I decided to do the same. What was a joke turned out to be true. In my experience anyway.

3. My dissertation was about how employers determine how much to invest in on the job training of their employees.....I still have an unbound copy somewhere.

1) No such Custom exists in England...although sometimes Journals if they are interested will publish. I thought the Journal of Sports Psychology might have done...but it never did :laugh:

2) have you actually checked to see if the money remains?

3) what subject did you read to be able to produce a dissertation on such a topic :huh: