PDA

View Full Version : Its a Wonderful Life

Mark
12-14-2009, 02:12 AM
We are watching it now. They dont make movies like this anymore. And I dont think people are in love like that anymore or most people anyway. Its on my top ten list.

Mac
12-14-2009, 02:16 AM
I was telling Nate tonight , i honestly dont think ive ever sat down and watched that movie clear through . Ive seen Bits and Pieces like jimmy Stewart running down the street but never watched the whole movie . guess ill have to go get it now.

NateR
12-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Watching this film every Christmas Eve was one of my favorite family traditions growing up. Truly one of the greatest movies of all time.:cool:

Spiritwalker
12-14-2009, 02:36 AM
I have it recorded to watch with my kids this week.. Can't wait!!

MattHughesRocks
12-14-2009, 05:24 AM
In movies anything is possible.

We are watching it now. They dont make movies like this anymore. And I dont think people are in love like that anymore or most people anyway. Its on my top ten list.

Silverback
12-14-2009, 05:39 AM
You are right Buddy, they don't make movies like that no more, very good and Jimmy did a very good job bringing that across.:)

Llamafighter
12-14-2009, 12:39 PM
There are only a few movies that I consider "perfect " and this is one of them.
I usually watch it 2-3 times each year.
Nate, I like the idea of watching it Christmas Eve maybe I'll start that tradition in my family this year.

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Never heard of it. Sorry :unsure-1:

Llamafighter
12-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Never heard of it. Sorry :unsure-1:

:scared0011::scared0011::scared0011::scared0011::s cared0011:

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 01:56 PM
:scared0011::scared0011::scared0011::scared0011::s cared0011:

:unsure-1: what :huh: I can look it up on IMDB if you insist...but just by the title I can tell its not the sorta film I'd watch more then likely :mellow:

Llamafighter
12-14-2009, 02:00 PM
:unsure-1: what :huh: I can look it up on IMDB if you insist...but just by the title I can tell its not the sorta film I'd watch more then likely :mellow:

It's a fantastic movie and I think honestly you shouldn't be able to move forward and watch any new movies until you've watched this one.

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
It's a fantastic movie and I think honestly you shouldn't be able to move forward and watch any new movies until you've watched this one.

let me look it up :ninja:

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 02:03 PM
is it the 1946 film that appears to be a twist on scrouge films by any chance:huh:

Bonnie
12-14-2009, 03:14 PM
is it the 1946 film that appears to be a twist on scrouge films by any chance:huh:

Kind of....

Scrooge is shown the reel of his life as it "was", "is" and "will be" if he does not change his cold heart and miserly ways.

George Bailey is shown by the angel what life would have been like for his family, friends and the townspeople if he had never been born.

E. Scrooge's life was one spent in selfishness and misery for others, whereas G. Bailey's life was one of selflessness for the greater good of others.

"...everytime a bell rings, an angel gets his wings." :)

It's a classic, Dave. :happy0159:

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Kind of....

Scrooge is shown the reel of his life as it "was", "is" and "will be" if he does not change his cold heart and miserly ways.

George Bailey is shown by the angel what life would have been like for his family, friends and the townspeople if he had never been born.

E. Scrooge's life was one spent in selfishness and misery for others, whereas G. Bailey's life was one of selflessness for the greater good of others.

"...everytime a bell rings, an angel gets his wings." :)

It's a classic, Dave. :happy0159:

It looks to be in black and white. I dont think I'd enjoy it very much to be honnest, its not the sort of film I would choose to watch...ever...sort of thing :laugh:

Llamafighter
12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
It looks to be in black and white. I dont think I'd enjoy it very much to be honnest, its not the sort of film I would choose to watch...ever...sort of thing :laugh:

:ninja:
Jens Pulver is in it...:ninja:

Shoots like a girl
12-14-2009, 05:04 PM
I dont think Ive ever seen this movie, Mark, but now I will have to go rent it!

County Mike
12-14-2009, 05:04 PM

LOL

Seriously though, it's a great movie Dave. You would definitely love it, you big softie.

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 05:06 PM

:laugh: no he isnt. Jens Pulver wasnt alive in 1946 :laugh:

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
LOL

Seriously though, it's a great movie Dave. You would definitely love it, you big softie.

They tend to just bore me though. I have to either be watching something that makes me think. Or I have to be watching something wholly violent and filled with gore :laugh:

I dont do romance, I dont really do comedy because I find a lot of comedy irritating and stupid rather then funny...with the exception of Have I Got News For You...which does make me laugh...but its also short and sweet. Keeping up appearences makes me laugh aswell

HIGNFY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trE_bkWUFsE

KUA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKqc_BPXAsM

The other reason I might watch something like that is if there is an actor/actress I'm interested in. For example, I can be pretty sure that anything with Meg Ryan in will be at least watchable, and probably slightly ammusing every so often to me...because she is fantastic at whatever it is she's portraying (im sure theres an exception but I havent found it yet) I dont generally do black and white because I find it...really...odd that its not colour

I might appear an emotional softie, but not when it comes to films, I dont cry even at terribly sad films...in my entire life, ive only ever cried at one film :laugh:

Blmfighter
12-14-2009, 08:17 PM
It is a good movie. The best Christmas movie is White Christmas.

hughesfan4life
12-14-2009, 08:23 PM
We are watching it now. They dont make movies like this anymore. And I dont think people are in love like that anymore or most people anyway. Its on my top ten list.:)my mam love it!!!!.she has the black and white version,but it's just been fully updated in colour so i got it for her christmas!!.never seen it myself,guess i will soon though.lol!!!

flo
12-14-2009, 11:12 PM
We finally bought the DVD after we missed it one year. It's definitely a family tradition and still makes me cry (even though I've seen it a zillion times).

I loved Jimmy Stewart.

bradwright
12-14-2009, 11:13 PM

Dave...watch the movie...sit down with your favorite food and drink and just watch the movie from beginning to end no matter what ! ! !...and then get back to us and let everybody know how you felt about it...i for one would be very interested in your take on it.:)

now get going ! ! !:ninja:

flo
12-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Not all films withstand the test of time; this one surely has. I would add to that The Wizard of Oz and GWTW.

Oddtodd76
12-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Ya know...I have never watched this movie!

I have watched just about all other Christmas movies a million times.

flo
12-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Todd & Brad -

You-Must-Watch-It

You won't be sorry. :happydancing:

Rev
12-15-2009, 12:22 AM
I love most Christmas movies. My top 5 are.

1. Christmas Vacation
2. Holiday Inn
3. Its a Wonderful Life
4. White Christmas
5. Merry Christmas Charlie Brown!!

I could go on but I wont.

bradwright
12-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Todd & Brad -

You-Must-Watch-It

You won't be sorry. :happydancing:

i have seen it a few times already Flo....and it is very good.:)

flo
12-15-2009, 01:07 AM
i have seen it a few times already Flo....and it is very good.:)
Yeah, sorry Brad, I meant to write Dave. Oops. :ashamed:

Neezar
12-15-2009, 03:58 AM
I have never watched this nor have I watched A Christmas Story.

:mellow:

flo
12-15-2009, 04:08 AM
You should watch it, Denise. Of course, it *is* dated but the story is inspirational and timeless. From Wiki:

It's a Wonderful Life was nominated for five Oscars without winning any, but the film has since been recognized by the American Film Institute as one of the 100 best American films ever made, and placed number one on their list of the most inspirational American films of all time.

Not to be cliched but it's the epitome of what Christmas should be all about. I forget that in my rush to decorate, shop, etc.

Primadawn
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM

WHA???? A Christmas Story is our family's favorite!!! Now go watch it immediately or I'll shoot your eye out! :angry:

Llamafighter
12-15-2009, 11:46 AM

Looks like you've got quite a "to do" list. If we all lived closer I would insist on everyone getting together and watching these movies!

Bonnie
12-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Oh, so many great classics... :cool:

No one has mentioned Miracle on 34th Street with Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Woods. Another good one with a message for all of us.

Bonnie
12-15-2009, 04:26 PM
WHA???? A Christmas Story is our family's favorite!!! Now go watch it immediately or I'll shoot your eye out! :angry:

:laugh:

I haven't seen it yet this month. They usually play it all day long when it shows.

TexasRN
12-15-2009, 04:28 PM

I haven't seen it yet this month. They usually play it all day long when it shows.

They are starting it Christmas Eve on TBS and running it for 24 hours like they usually do.

~Amy

Bonnie
12-15-2009, 04:41 PM
They are starting it Christmas Eve on TBS and running it for 24 hours like they usually do.

~Amy

Thanks, Amy! I couldn't remember the channel.

VCURamFan
12-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Wonderful Life, Christmas Story & Merry Christmas Charlie Brown are 3 of the greatest movies ever made & shouldn't be restricted to only winter viewing! :punch:

Mark
12-15-2009, 07:23 PM

Why dont you get out of the kitchen and watch a movie.

Spiritwalker
12-15-2009, 07:42 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................that one hurt!!

Spiritwalker
12-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Wonderful Life, Christmas Story & Merry Christmas Charlie Brown are 3 of the greatest movies ever made & shouldn't be restricted to only winter viewing! :punch:

A Charlie Brown Christmas is great..

My favorite live action Christmas movie has GOT TO BE...

http://everseradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/theref.jpg

Timeless wit.. a heartfelt and great Christmas movie.. there is a little language...

Do you know what this family needs? A mute.

Gus: What is the matter with you? I thought Mothers were sweet and nice a-a-and Patient. I know loan sharks who are more forgiving than you. Your husband ain't dead, lady. He's hiding.

Gus: Look kid... what I do, running around, stealing stuff, may sound great when you're fourteen years old, but it sucks just a little bit when you're thirty-five. No house. No family. I got a partner who's fifty... he still can't understand why they took "Happy Days" off the air.

Gus: Caroline and Loyd, will get the coffee and deserts then we'll be opening presents.
Connie Chasseur: We can't open presents til midnight.
Gus: Why not?
Connie Chasseur: Because it's not Christmas until midnight!
Gus: We'll be changing the rules, a little bit. We are opening the presents now. Not later, now. Why? We're adults, and we can open our presents, WHENEVER WE WANT!

Lloyd: Coffee, Mom?
Rose Chasseur: Is it real coffee? Or some Scandinavian Christmas potion?

VCURamFan
12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
A Charlie Brown Christmas is great..

My favorite live action Christmas movie has GOT TO BE...

http://everseradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/theref.jpg
O man, I forgot about The Ref!! Hilarious. I like Dennis Leary the actor way better than Dennis Leary the comedian.

Neezar
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
You should watch it, Denise. Of course, it *is* dated but the story is inspirational and timeless. From Wiki:

Not to be cliched but it's the epitome of what Christmas should be all about. I forget that in my rush to decorate, shop, etc.

Putting it on my list. :)

You aren't the first person who told me that. :laugh:
I have been looking for it! I couldn't find it at the rental places so I decided to buy it. I have looked three different places and still haven't found it. Please! Just put down the gun. I'll find it! :unsure: lol

Looks like you've got quite a "to do" list. If we all lived closer I would insist on everyone getting together and watching these movies!

People hate watching movies with me. I have a horrible compulsion to tell everyone what just happened even though they just watched it. :ashamed:

~Amy

Whew! I wonder if Dawn will give me a stay of execution until Christmas eve. :mellow:

:laugh: I really, really gotta see these movies and see what all the fuss is about.

:muttering:

Boomer
12-16-2009, 02:29 AM
The story behind this movie is wonderful. don't think any of us will really ever know the impact we have had on this planet in other peoples lives until we stand before the creator. We watching this on Christmas eve too. And Charlie Brown Christmas. :)