PDA

View Full Version : "Mere Christianity" by C.S Lewis

Jonlion
12-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Have been reading this book and would wholly recommend it to ya'll on here.

The wonderful writer C.S Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia), a former agnostic was invited by the BBC over radio to basically talk about Christianity, what it means and so forth.

It was done in an informal way and later transcribed into book form and retains this informal element.

It truly is a great read, has anyone else read it?

Something that interested me was that he briefly mentions that ancient heathen Greeks, Old Testament Jews and great christian teachers of the middle ages all spoke against the dangers of ursury (lending money at interest)

And it seems funny that the basis for all our economies is precisely that, investment. This interested me when I look at what caused the recession and so much misery. All that paper money beweilders me, seriously what do Investment Banks do!!!!!!!!

Anyway, it talks much more about other points and is brilliant!

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 12:40 AM
ive never read it. I'm sorry.

I read one of his books about beams of light or something...It felt like he was a modern mystic or something...but I never really got round to reading him after the Narnia stuff :unsure-1:

Play The Man
12-14-2009, 05:58 AM
ive never read it. I'm sorry.

I read one of his books about beams of light or something...It felt like he was a modern mystic or something...but I never really got round to reading him after the Narnia stuff :unsure-1:

I think I mentioned this to you before, Tyburn. I can't believe you haven't read Lewis. Probably the best-known Christian writer of the 20th century, who just happens to be an Anglican and an Englishman of Scottish ancestry and you haven't read him?!? Are you referring to "The Weight of Glory"? Here is a link to a pdf of the text of his original sermon - it is 9 pages long. http://www.doxaweb.com/assets/doxa.pdf

Play The Man
12-14-2009, 06:08 AM
Have been reading this book and would wholly recommend it to ya'll on here.

The wonderful writer C.S Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia), a former agnostic was invited by the BBC over radio to basically talk about Christianity, what it means and so forth.

It was done in an informal way and later transcribed into book form and retains this informal element.

It truly is a great read, has anyone else read it?

Something that interested me was that he briefly mentions that ancient heathen Greeks, Old Testament Jews and great christian teachers of the middle ages all spoke against the dangers of ursury (lending money at interest)

And it seems funny that the basis for all our economies is precisely that, investment. This interested me when I look at what caused the recession and so much misery. All that paper money beweilders me, seriously what do Investment Banks do!!!!!!!!

Anyway, it talks much more about other points and is brilliant!

Yes. You should read everything you can by Lewis. They sell editions of his books that have several of his books in one volume.

I don't know enough to answer your question about usury. I think that usury involved interest payments that would be equivalent to the modern-day "loan shark".

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I think I mentioned this to you before, Tyburn. I can't believe you haven't read Lewis. Probably the best-known Christian writer of the 20th century, who just happens to be an Anglican and an Englishman of Scottish ancestry and you haven't read him?!? Are you referring to "The Weight of Glory"? Here is a link to a pdf of the text of his original sermon - it is 9 pages long. http://www.doxaweb.com/assets/doxa.pdf

He's not really an Anglican, he's more of a Modern day Christian Mystic, his theology is WAY to deep to be Anglican :laugh: That maybe what he calls himself, but his writings...and that is a fine example, though I'm not sure it was the one I was thinking of...is Christian Mysticism. He's a modern day Contemplative...very rare...but also take a lot of dissemination to understand exactly what he's going on about

Shall we go through it :w00t:

VCURamFan
12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
He's not really an Anglican, he's more of a Modern day Christian Mystic, his theology is WAY to deep to be Anglican :laugh: That maybe what he calls himself, but his writings...and that is a fine example, though I'm not sure it was the one I was thinking of...is Christian Mysticism. He's a modern day Contemplative...very rare...but also take a lot of dissemination to understand exactly what he's going on about

Shall we go through it :w00t:

No, Lewis is NOT a "Christian Mystic" by any stretch of the imagination. Dave, you read one of his books a long time ago, didn't understand it & are now trying to teach us about his theology? C'mon man, I know you're smarter than that. He uses a lot of allegory in his writings, but if you know that he's a Christian Apologetist from the outset, it's easy to see what he's trying to say.

I think you'd also like the Screwtape Letters. :wink:

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
No, Lewis is NOT a "Christian Mystic" by any stretch of the imagination. Dave, you read one of his books a long time ago, didn't understand it & are now trying to teach us about his theology? C'mon man, I know you're smarter than that. He uses a lot of allegory in his writings, but if you know that he's a Christian Apologetist from the outset, it's easy to see what he's trying to say.

I think you'd also like the Screwtape Letters. :wink:

No, he's definately a contemplative. I've studied a few of them, and a lot of his writings are :ninja: strange...do you even know what a Christian Mystic is Ben :huh: :laugh:

billwilliams70
12-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Lewis' books are fantastic. "The Screwtape Letters" is one of the best. He's a deep thinker and thought provoker.

I suggest anyone read his books.

As far as Christian Mystics go......doesn't the Gospel of St. John present a mystic's view of the life and works of Jesus?

Later.

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 05:49 PM
The first problem I have with the first page is that Lewis is not adding in the obviousness of Temporal Living...its missed in the flippantly used word "Ultimately"

In many ways, the Christian life is all about death, or what happens after death, of which the actual technicalities of Heaven are both subjective almost entirely, and secondly probably uncomprehendable to a Human in the mortal coil.

Its all very well saying that our ultimate wants and desires might be fulfilled, or that there is something attractive waiting for us, if you dont stress that the waiting bit might be 100 years of pain first. Cross comes before Salvation, work comes before the reward.

I am not deeply encouraged about how things will all work out alright in the end, because it wont matter once we die and are with GOD, it wont be important then, all that will be important then, will be being in His presence for Eternity.

What the majority of us probably feel like is that we really would appreciate an advancement I guess. Some help, some reward, some heaven right now...as we struggle through the monoteny of every day living.

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Lewis' books are fantastic. "The Screwtape Letters" is one of the best. He's a deep thinker and thought provoker.

I suggest anyone read his books.

As far as Christian Mystics go......doesn't the Gospel of St. John present a mystic's view of the life and works of Jesus?

Later.

Yes, The Gospel according to Saint John is definately written in the style of a Mystic/Contemplative. I like this account, its probably my favourite to be honnest :)

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Actually Victory is not a natural conclusion to Battle...or rather it is, but as natural as defeat is. I guess you wouldnt call the Defeat a Reward, but the way he has put it seems like if you want it the most, your reward is getting it which is a natural conclusion to having wanted it.

Tell that to all the MMA fighters who ever lost a match :laugh: You obviously didnt want victory, you didnt long enough for your reward.

Also...marriage cant be the only outcome of love. What about all those people who love but never find the right person to marry...what about the people who cant marry for whatever reason?

So if we dont get married, we dont get the proper reward for love...hinting..what exactly? that there is something lacking in our love? that we dont or cant love? or worse...that sometimes you can want and not be given the reward by GOD?

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd better stop now. This only make me depressed and angry :sad:

Crisco
12-14-2009, 06:29 PM
I think your walking in the wrong direction.

Your taking it personally when infact I think he is saying what you already know.

The joys of love are often lost on those in your situation that find difficulty in that marital relationship.

You yourself have often discussed bouts with depression related to the topic.

He strong buddy keep the faith.

Crisco
12-14-2009, 06:32 PM
It's also quite vague. If you look at it from a philosophical point if you want something bad enoguh you can feel it and taste and therefore you some degree have even achieved it with your will to have it.

One thing is true it's not all about the destination it's about the journey.

People lose out on a lot of thel essons God has to teach by strictly concentrating on either death or life.

we have to take both completely and learn from them together because that's the only way to get a complete education.

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 06:33 PM
I think your walking in the wrong direction.

Your taking it personally when infact I think he is saying what you already know.

The joys of love are often lost on those in your situation that find difficulty in that marital relationship.

You yourself have often discussed bouts with depression related to the topic.

He strong buddy keep the faith.

:unsure-1: I dont really know what he's saying...just skimming the text, I could tell it wasnt going to be something I wanted to read to be fair...this might have been the reason I stopped reading him whenever I got to reading this bit before.

I have read the screwtape letters...but I didnt get much out of that, its been a long time since I've read that

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 06:34 PM
It's also quite vague. If you look at it from a philosophical point if you want something bad enoguh you can feel it and taste and therefore you some degree have even achieved it with your will to have it.

thats a very deep point that Crisco :)

Crisco
12-14-2009, 06:34 PM
I haven't read his works. I'll get to that as soon as I have the money for some new books.

Jonlion
12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah I am very keen to get onto his other works now especially the Screwtape letters!

Well, "Mere Christianity", I would not describe as mystic in any sense of the word.

Dave, you give me your address, I'll get it for ya for Christmas but only on the condition that your review of it is only 250 words long!:wink:!

Great book though and recommend any of you to ask for it as a stocking filler!

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah I am very keen to get onto his other works now especially the Screwtape letters!

Well, "Mere Christianity", I would not describe as mystic in any sense of the word.

Dave, you give me your address, I'll get it for ya for Christmas but only on the condition that your review of it is only 250 words long!:wink:!

Great book though and recommend any of you to ask for it as a stocking filler!

:laugh::laugh:

its a deal :ashamed:

300 words :huh: :laugh:

Crisco
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
:laugh::laugh:

its a deal :ashamed:

300 words :huh: :laugh:

and, if, all, when, I, but, whilst

Are all not included in the 300 word count,

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 08:03 PM
and, if, all, when, I, but, whilst

Are all not included in the 300 word count,

better add in However, Right, Well, also, finally, and therefore too :laugh:

Jonlion
12-14-2009, 08:08 PM
better add in However, Right, Well, also, finally, and therefore too :laugh:

Its on brother, Ordered from the Amazon now!

Pm me your address!

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Its on brother, Ordered from the Amazon now!

Pm me your address!

:laugh: do you know what the hardest thing about writing my Dissertation thesis was :huh:

keeping to 15000 words :laugh: the first draft

TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND WORDS :mellow:

Mother went through with a BIG red pen...and everytime she deleted whole paragraphs I was like "but you cant take that out...its ESSENTIAL" :laugh:

(okay so I'm confusing myself with the amount of words it was....let me go check)

Tyburn
12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
yes...thats right I started with Twenty Five Thousand Words, and it had to be no more then Fifteen Thousand words...and the finale entree was Fourteen Thousand Eight Hundred and Seventy Nine words :laugh:

Jonlion
12-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I have the book bought and as an extra at my home to go alongside my personal one.

Dave has not PM'd me his address.

So here is the offer, I would love to send this to anyone who hasn't read it and would like to. It would be nice if as a forum it got passed round obviously only if peope are interested.

Its a excellent and amazing book and so hit me up any takers,

Play The Man
12-29-2009, 10:44 PM
I haven't read his works. I'll get to that as soon as I have the money for some new books.

I'll follow the example of the Jon Lion challenge. I will set up Crisco if he'll promise to read it and write a brief post/report.

Tyburn
12-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I have the book bought and as an extra at my home to go alongside my personal one.

Dave has not PM'd me his address.

So here is the offer, I would love to send this to anyone who hasn't read it and would like to. It would be nice if as a forum it got passed round obviously only if peope are interested.

Its a excellent and amazing book and so hit me up any takers,

:ninja: I could have sworne I sent it to you :blink: mindue...maybe not, I got sick before Christmas and cant really be certain I did everything I thing I did. :laugh:

Jonlion
12-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Well its on, I'm sending this to Tyburn and I'm happy to fund it being sent overseas!

Just Pm me, and Crisco I'd love to send ya it

rearnakedchoke
12-30-2009, 02:53 AM
i like his most recent works, the Golden Compass trilogy ..

NateR
12-30-2009, 03:20 AM
i like his most recent works, the Golden Compass trilogy ..

That's not CS Lewis. Lewis wrote The Chronicles of Narnia, which were Christian-allegorical children's stories. The Golden Compass series is very anti-Christian and most definitely anti-GOD.

In fact, the author of those books is an athiest and he deliberately wrote his Golden Compass series as a counterpoint to the Chronicles of Narnia.

rearnakedchoke
12-30-2009, 03:23 AM
That's not CS Lewis. Lewis wrote The Chronicles of Narnia, which were Christian-allegorical children's stories. The Golden Compass series is very anti-Christian and most definitely anti-GOD.

In fact, the author of those books is an athiest and he deliberately wrote his Golden Compass series as a counterpoint to the Chronicles of Narnia.

yeah, i was kidding ...

seriously though, i have read both, and i can't really understand how the golden compass is anti-god ... but i guess i am not that good at reading between the lines

NateR
12-30-2009, 03:34 AM
yeah, i was kidding ...

seriously though, i have read both, and i can't really understand how the golden compass is anti-god ... but i guess i am not that good at reading between the lines

Well, you don't need to read between the lines, just read about the author:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

rearnakedchoke
12-30-2009, 03:37 AM
Well, you don't need to read between the lines, just read about the author:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

oh, i know about pullman, he states openly that it was written as a rebuttal per se to lewis' works and with rejection of religion and all .. but i just didn't get fee that it was so overpowering in the book itself ... but i guess it is the wolf in sheeps clothing in this instance ...