PDA

View Full Version : Rome

Crisco
12-02-2009, 10:21 PM
On HBO.

Did anyone else love this series as much as I did?

I wish they kept it going.

Play The Man
01-02-2010, 10:35 PM
On HBO.

Did anyone else love this series as much as I did?

I wish they kept it going.

I love history so I watched this series on Netflix. I thought the acting was excellent, especially Ciaran Hinds as Julius Caesar. I enjoyed the subplots with the fictional characters who interacted with the historical figures. The series prompted me to study some Roman history. However, the series was flawed in several ways. It deviated from real history on details that it didn't have to; staying true to history would not have made a duller storyline. It was an expensive series and was cancelled before it was complete, so the last few episodes cram too much time and history into an episode (or huge stretches are jumped over). The series was too graphic. There were graphic beheadings and graphic violence. There was gratuitous nudity and sexual content. I realize that ancient Rome was violent and immoral, but the viewer doesn't need to see everything in graphic detail to get a flavor of the time and place. I think it would make an excellent series if it was edited for content and put on basic cable.

Black Mamba
01-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I couldn't get into this series for some reason. I don't know what it was.

But in my humble opinion Oz was the best HBO series, along side The Sopranos. The Wire was good, Big Love is good, Dead Wood was sweet too.