PDA

View Full Version : MMA Legal in Massachusettes Now!!!!

VCURamFan
12-01-2009, 05:56 PM
How has no one linked this yet???

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10120&zoneid=13
The UFC’s trip to Massachusetts is inked.

On Monday, Governor Deval Patrick signed into law “An Act Regulating The Sport Of Mixed Martial Arts,” legally opening the door for MMA in the Commonwealth.

Since 2005, the sport existed in a legal gray area where it was not technically illegal, but was not formally regulated by the Massachusetts Boxing Commission, which had previously overseen events. In their absence, local promoters acted as the commission, hiring ring officials and personnel.

The act gives control of MMA fights to the Department of Public Safety, according to a UFC release.

UFC president Dana White, a onetime Boston resident, was overjoyed with the news.

“I am so excited words cannot describe,” he wrote via his official Twitter account. “Here we come Boston! NY is next!!”

The act was the second MMA bill introduced to Massachusetts lawmakers, but the first to make it to the governor’s desk. An earlier version of the bill introduced last year died in the senate when time constraints forced its shelving.

In April, the UFC commissioned an economic study on a possible event in Boston or Worcester that was received warmly by legislators.

Three months later, in July, the Massachusetts Senate passed the bill by a 34-1 vote with no arguments raised on the floor. Afterwards, the bill moved to the house, where it passed three committees with little fanfare.

Joe Cavallaro, a promoter and manager who campaigned on behalf of the bill with Massachusetts native and UFC fighter Kenny Florian, said Monday’s signing was a watershed event for the state.

“I think it’s going to be a great thing for the sport,” he said. “When the UFC comes here, it’s going to change the landscape of mixed martial arts in Massachusetts forever.”

White has named Boston’s TD Banknorth Garden and Fenway Park as two possible locations for a UFC event.

“I guarantee that we will put on an incredible UFC event for Boston in 2010,” he said.

The first UFC fight in Massachusetts could be held as early as Summer 2010.

The promotion is expected to head back east in March to the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. for UFC 111.

County Mike
12-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Will they allow elbows? They don't in New Hampshire.

VCURamFan
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Will they allow elbows? They don't in New Hampshire.

I dunno. I haven't read the legislation or heard anything from the Commission.

atomdanger
12-01-2009, 06:42 PM
A UFC event in Boston? Why do I feel like there would be more than 1 fight in the crowd.

Tyburn
12-02-2009, 07:25 PM
A UFC event in Boston? Why do I feel like there would be more than 1 fight in the crowd.

your siggie makes me laugh everytime I see it!!:laugh: