PDA

View Full Version : Shields On GSP: "Im The Best Guy He Hasnít Faced"

snakerattle79
12-01-2009, 02:30 PM
http://www.tapology.com/2009/11/jake-shields-interview-worlds-finest/

Tapology: I know you get the UFC question all of the time, so Iím not going to ask it, but you mentioned that it is important to you to fight the best people you can fight. Georges St. Pierre is considered the best welterweight in the world right now, so is it important to you to get a fight with him within the next couple of years, whether it be in Strikeforce or the UFC?

Shields: It is important. I feel like I have to fight him unless someone beats him. To be the best, you have to fight the best, and GSP is for sure considered to be the best. It would be awesome if we could get that together in a co-promotion, and the way Strikeforce is going, who knows, it could happen.

Tapology: You are happy fighting for Strikeforce right now, but at what point does the importance of fighting a guy like St. Pierre weight heavily enough that you would consider jumping ship in order to make that happen?

Shields: The bottom line is that the UFC is not going to let you jump ship after one fight, so itís not a realistic option. At some point you have to look and weigh your options between money and fighting the best. Hopefully it will happen, but at this point I just have to concentrate on my Strikeforce contract and after that I will sit down with my managers and weíll figure out what I want to do.

Tapology: GSP mentioned you specifically as someone he would be interested in fighting at a recent Q&A session before UFC 105. How does it make you feel to be directly addressed by him in that manner?

Shields: He mentioned that it was his dream fight, you know. He mentioned Brock Lesnar vs. Fedor and him against me, which is awesome because it shows me that in his mind Iím the best guy he hasnít faced. I have wanted that fight for a while, but itís nice for him to say that he wants it as well.

Tapology: It might be a long ways off if it ever does happen, but how do you see yourself matching up with him?

Shields: I think it is a really interesting fight. Who knows what will happen. I think I have an edge in Jiu-Jitsu, he might have the edge in striking, but letís get out there and see what happens.

County Mike
12-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I'd like to see it.

CAVEMAN
12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd like to see it.

I 2nd that!

rockdawg21
12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
LOL, Shields is good, but he would be a slightly-above average welterweight in the UFC. He wouldn't get by:

GSP
Fitch
Alves
Koscheck
"Rumble" Johnson
Hughes

I'd even venture to say he'd struggle getting past Serra.

I know for sure he'd also lose to BJ Penn if Penn came up in weight.

I'd like to see the UFC do a co-promotion with Strikeforce, just to kick Strikeforce's ass and put them out of business. I get tired of hearing these fighters from lesser leagues calling out the UFC fighters. The only one who would probably win would be Fedor against Brock and I'd still say that's a tough one to call either way.

wpnsman2000
12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
I think GSP with all his money can afford a blanket of his own without involving Shields. Really to me that is all Shields is about...when he figures he cannot submit a guy or he might get submitted he's all about laying around and holding...not dishing out punishment. He wouldn't even get the opportunity to think about delivering punishment against GSP.

Tyburn
12-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I like Jake...I really do...but after what Mayhem Miller did to him...I think I want to see a stella performance against a true calibre before I back Sheilds against anyone approaching GSP :laugh:

atomdanger
12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
LOL, Shields is good, but he would be a slightly-above average welterweight in the UFC. He wouldn't get by:

GSP
Fitch
Alves
Koscheck
"Rumble" Johnson
Hughes

I think he would give all those guys trouble.
He certainly isn't a barn burner, but his ground game is a problem for anybody.

wpnsman2000
12-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I really don't see him giving GSP, Hughes, or Kos (cannot stand btw) any problems whatsoever on the ground....

Crisco
12-02-2009, 09:41 PM

Who also doesn't world class wrestling and sub defense.

Shields will not be able to submit or take down GSP.

Gsp will outstrike him all day.

rearnakedchoke
12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
he's looking for a bigger pay day ... being big fish in a small pond doesn't pay well .... he wants a shot at GSP first so that he isn't exposed fighter less competition .. .

Spiritwalker
12-03-2009, 01:43 AM

Nicely Said... I like Shields.. but he "ain't no GSP.. and sure as hell isn't on Hughes level.."

atomdanger
12-03-2009, 02:01 AM

I didn't say Sheilds would walk through anybody,
I said he would be a problem for anybody.

GSP wouldn't stand with him, not for a minute.
GSP hasn't wanted to stand with anybody since Serra.

I know Shields wrestling isn't as solid, but his BJJ is much better than GSP's.
Not thinking Shields would sub him, but I promise he would give him a hard time

rockdawg21
12-03-2009, 02:15 AM
He's a good wrestler, but he won't be able to hip hug his way to victory against those guys.

atomdanger
12-03-2009, 04:14 AM
He's a good wrestler, but he won't be able to hip hug his way to victory against those guys.

He has finished 8 of his last 10 fights,
against some tough competition, and is on a 13 fight win streak.

So, he hasn't been hip hugging, he played it safe with Miller.
He beat Okami, Semtex, Condit, Lawler, Miller, Thompson, etc...
I don't think you're giving him the credit he deserves.

IMO if Lawler didn't have the hands to beat him, GSP wouldn't.
GSP would have to rely on his wrestling, and decision him out, or TKO

bj44
12-03-2009, 06:15 AM

GSP
Fitch
Alves
Koscheck
"Rumble" Johnson
Hughes

I know for sure he'd also lose to BJ Penn if Penn came up in weight.

I'd like to see the UFC do a co-promotion with Strikeforce, just to kick Strikeforce's ass and put them out of business. I get tired of hearing these fighters from lesser leagues calling out the UFC fighters. The only one who would probably win would be Fedor against Brock and I'd still say that's a tough one to call either way.

considering hes tooled fitch in a grappling competition im not so sure about your list

rockdawg21
12-03-2009, 10:48 AM
He has finished 8 of his last 10 fights,
against some tough competition, and is on a 13 fight win streak.

So, he hasn't been hip hugging, he played it safe with Miller.
He beat Okami, Semtex, Condit, Lawler, Miller, Thompson, etc...
I don't think you're giving him the credit he deserves.

IMO if Lawler didn't have the hands to beat him, GSP wouldn't.
GSP would have to rely on his wrestling, and decision him out, or TKO

The only noticeable one on that list is Okami. The rest of them are UFC washouts. I'm not disrespecting his skills, just saying if he played it safe against a UFC washout in Miller, he'd have to do the same against the other guys on my list and they are all better than Miller, as they are still in the UFC.

considering hes tooled fitch in a grappling competition im not so sure about your list
A grappling match is not a MMA match. Ask Demian Maia. No doubt he would beat Marquardt in a grappling match, but he got smoked in a MMA match.

bj44
12-03-2009, 12:01 PM
The only noticeable one on that list is Okami. The rest of them are UFC washouts. I'm not disrespecting his skills, just saying if he played it safe against a UFC washout in Miller, he'd have to do the same against the other guys on my list and they are all better than Miller, as they are still in the UFC.

A grappling match is not a MMA match. Ask Demian Maia. No doubt he would beat Marquardt in a grappling match, but he got smoked in a MMA match.

how is miller a ufc washout... his only loss was to GSP and that was a competitive decision.... GSP couldnt finish him either... seriously? lol

semtex just beat kampmann who was one fight from a title shot... there is competitive mma outside of the ufc my friend

considering sheilds is better then the thing fitch is best at it isnt an accurate comparision... Marquardt best attribute is his striking which is damiens weakness.... I also like how you thing rumble would beat him... Get real dude lawler is better at everything then rumble ans jake finished him in the first... you seem like a strikforce hater

sender
12-03-2009, 02:38 PM
pfffff he wouldent get out of the first round with GSP... come on

TENNESSEAN
12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
pffff your right!

Llamafighter
12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
pfffff he wouldent get out of the first round with GSP... come on

Shields was saying the same thing about Matt years ago. I would love to see GSP knock him out.
Robbie was well on his way to putting him to sleep when he got a little careless and got caught.

Crisco
12-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Lawler didnt have a chance to let his hands go. He would have murdered Shields if he didn't get caught like that.

atomdanger
12-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Lawler didnt have a chance to let his hands go. He would have murdered Shields if he didn't get caught like that.

Right,
and every loss ever in MMA we can say "if"

atomdanger
12-03-2009, 08:51 PM

Condit still fights in the UFC lol, not a washout.
Also, Miller isn't really a washout, the UFC should have kept him.
His only UFC fight was a close decision to GSP.

atomdanger
12-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Shields was saying the same thing about Matt years ago. I would love to see GSP knock him out.
Robbie was well on his way to putting him to sleep when he got a little careless and got caught.

I like Robbie a lot,
but he got subbed in 2 minutes of the first.
He wasn't "well on his way"

Max
12-03-2009, 09:44 PM
I dont really like Shields and I think he would end up getting beat but I think it would be a much closer fight than any of GSP past few fights have been.

que
12-03-2009, 10:45 PM
i think GSP would TKO or KO him and in the first round. i have never been impressed with shields and i find him very boring to be honest. i don't think there are many top UFC WW's that he could beat, if any

wavetar
12-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Kos is a better wrestler, and Penn has better BJJ, and GSP schooled them both. I really don't see Shields beating him. Potentially going the distance like Fitch, and getting beat to bloody hell the whole time is how I see it.

Max
12-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Kos is a better wrestler, and Penn has better BJJ, and GSP schooled them both. I really don't see Shields beating him. Potentially going the distance like Fitch, and getting beat to bloody hell the whole time is how I see it.

BJ may have better JJ but he is a lot smaller than GSP. GSP has yet to face a great JJ guy who is a natural WW. I think GSP wins but if he makes a mistake I could see shields catching him in something.

Chuck
12-05-2009, 05:36 PM
BJ may have better JJ but he is a lot smaller than GSP. GSP has yet to face a great JJ guy who is a natural WW. I think GSP wins but if he makes a mistake I could see shields catching him in something.

Fitch?

VCURamFan
12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Fitch?
Fitch is more of a wrestler than a JJ guy. Not saying he's weak on the subs, but their not his strong suit like they are for Jake.

rearnakedchoke
12-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Fitch is more of a wrestler than a JJ guy. Not saying he's weak on the subs, but their not his strong suit like they are for Jake.

yeah, but he is still good in JJ ... shields wouldn't be able to get GSP down ...

VCURamFan
12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
yeah, but he is still good in JJ ... shields wouldn't be able to get GSP down ...
Who's still good in JJ, GSP or Fitch? I think we've gotten our antecendants crossed. :blink:

The point I'm trying to make is that even though Shields has better JJ than Fitch, it's not superior enough to change the outcome: GSP by not-quite-LnP decision.

rearnakedchoke
12-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Who's still good in JJ, GSP or Fitch? I think we've gotten our antecendants crossed. :blink:

The point I'm trying to make is that even though Shields has better JJ than Fitch, it's not superior enough to change the outcome: GSP by not-quite-LnP decision.

oh ok ... makes sense ... but i think gsp stops shields ... i would actually like to see fitch vs shields first

VCURamFan
12-05-2009, 06:32 PM
oh ok ... makes sense ... but i think gsp stops shields ... i would actually like to see fitch vs shields first
I'd prefer Shields/Hughes tbh. I think Matt handles him nicely.

rearnakedchoke
12-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd prefer Shields/Hughes tbh. I think Matt handles him nicely.

oh ya for sure .... shields wouldn't be able to do what he did to mayhem to matt and he'd be lost

bj44
12-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Im still trying to figure out how Mayhem is a ufc washout after one close decision loss to GSP?????

VCURamFan
12-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Im still trying to figure out how Mayhem is a ufc washout after one close decision loss to GSP?????
Yeah, me too. He definitely deserved more than one fight.