PDA

View Full Version : Wine anyone?

MattHughesRocks
02-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Just wondering if there are any wine drinkers here?? I'm not talking about expensive wines, just fairly inexpensive wine that you can pick up someplace like Trader Joes or just your local grocer.
What I've liked is sweet wine.Red, white, doesnt matter as long as it's at least a little sweet.

I need names, brands, label names.

Any suggestions??

(must be 21 to comment :w00t: )

atomdanger
02-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Never really bought wine, and I don't drink anymore.

But if anybody is interested when the time comes around I make some really good blackberry wine.

MattHughesRocks
02-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Hate blackberry. NEXT! :w00t:

Never really bought wine, and I don't drink anymore.

But if anybody is interested when the time comes around I make some really good blackberry wine.

Moose
02-11-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm quite the wino. What exactly are you looking for?

I'm not a big fan of dark, tanniny reds, but I do have a few whites and tables wines I highly recommend.

EDIT:

I see you like sweet. Start with white merlot by Sutter Homes. That's a nice, sweet wine for 5 bucks or so. Also, stick with table wines, and desert wines, if sweet is what you're really after. Not that I think you would do this, but don't feel bad if your palate is more suited for the cheaper wines, I know mine is. For example, I enjoy a 10 dollar bottle of Yellow Tail Chardonnay over a 25 dollar "better" Chardonnay.

Also, for beginners and rule of thumb: Red wine for red meats, whites for leaner meats, and Chardonnay for fish and seafood.

MattHughesRocks
02-11-2009, 06:30 AM
I've never been suited for anything cheap. You should see my chocolate habit :laugh: Also, I already know about the red with beef thing. The wine I'll be in the mood for would determine my dinner :laugh:

Moose
02-11-2009, 06:44 AM
A lower priced bottle of wine doesn't equal cheap. Usually it means it's an up and coming wine, or it's a local wine. Let your senses determine what you enjoy, not the price.

TexasRN
02-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Dessert wines are sweet and quite tasty. There's one in particular that I looove but I can never remember the name. I have to go to the liquor store and look for it. The bottle shape is quite distinctive. I have a chardonnay called Fat Bastard that I haven't opened but have heard is really good. I bought it for the funny name. I also bought one for my brother for his birthday one year. Nothing says love like "Fat Bastard" wine. :laugh:

~Amy

Moose
02-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Dessert wines are sweet and quite tasty. There's one in particular that I looove but I can never remember the name. I have to go to the liquor store and look for it. The bottle shape is quite distinctive. I have a chardonnay called Fat Bastard that I haven't opened but have heard is really good. I bought it for the funny name. I also bought one for my brother for his birthday one year. Nothing says love like "Fat Bastard" wine. :laugh:

~Amy

I personally prefer menage a trois.

http://www.nextag.com/menage-a-trois-wine/stores-html

;)

TexasRN
02-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Here's one I like:

http://virginie.ajot.net/?p=246

~Amy

TexasRN
02-11-2009, 06:51 AM
I personally prefer menage a trois.

http://www.nextag.com/menage-a-trois-wine/stores-html

;)

Funny thing is that I've tried that one. :laugh:

~Amy

Moose
02-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Funny thing is that I've tried that one. :laugh:

~Amy
Cool. Did you enjoy it?
Maybe someday we could share.

TexasRN
02-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Cool. Did you enjoy it?
Maybe someday we could share.

Yes, I did enjoy it. :ashamed:

I need to get another one to add to my collection.

~Amy

Moose
02-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Yes, I did enjoy it. :ashamed:

http://www.collegeflavor.com/ProductImages/That's-What-She-Said-500X500-Blue.jpg

mikthehick
02-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Michelle,

Yellowtail, Barefoot, and Sutter Home are all great. I'm not sure, but Sutter Home 'may' be cheaper in California because it's made in Napa. My mom and dad love that stuff and always have a box in the fridge (you can buy it in a box here in a fresh seal thing).

I bought a Barefoot white wine for a dinner one time and everyone loved it since it went with Alfredo. Mom got Yellow tail at the grocery store, about 6-8 clams a bottle, and we had it with meatloaf a couple months ago.

Personal fave is Sangria :) Desert wines are awesome.

What are you trying to get wine for?

PS--There's a few hundred wineries around here, so if anyone is in VA, call me up and we'll go to one :)

County Mike
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Ya bunch of winers!

rearnakedchoke
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
a fan of red wine .. there are some good labels outta chile and argentina ... bottle of wine with steak is great ... don't know if the labels we get up here in canada are the same as you get down there though

MattHughesRocks
02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks Kim. I'm just buying it to get drunk every night when I get home from work. Have no intention on "collecting" the stuff:laugh:
I live in Northern Ca these days. Wineries are o plenty but I don't drink and drive :)

Michelle,

Yellowtail, Barefoot, and Sutter Home are all great. I'm not sure, but Sutter Home 'may' be cheaper in California because it's made in Napa. My mom and dad love that stuff and always have a box in the fridge (you can buy it in a box here in a fresh seal thing).

I bought a Barefoot white wine for a dinner one time and everyone loved it since it went with Alfredo. Mom got Yellow tail at the grocery store, about 6-8 clams a bottle, and we had it with meatloaf a couple months ago.

Personal fave is Sangria :) Desert wines are awesome.

What are you trying to get wine for?

PS--There's a few hundred wineries around here, so if anyone is in VA, call me up and we'll go to one :)

MattHughesRocks
02-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Have GSP bring me some :)

a fan of red wine .. there are some good labels outta chile and argentina ... bottle of wine with steak is great ... don't know if the labels we get up here in canada are the same as you get down there though

mikthehick
02-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks Kim. I'm just buying it to get drunk every night when I get home from work. Have no intention on "collecting" the stuff:laugh:
I live in Northern Ca these days. Wineries are o plenty but I don't drink and drive :)

I gotcha :) I rarely ever have it around, just get it for dinners and stuff.

Some people around here have entire wine cellars and all the jazz, and one professor in the school here has over 200 bottles...what a party that would be.

I'll be honest in saying I actually go to the wine tastings for the cheese....:w00t:

VCURamFan
02-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm not that much of a wino. Pretty much the only wine I have is whatever they serve at communion. Other than that, I just drink JD!

bradwright
02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
how about a nice bottle of baby duck,,it really is sweet and for a couple of bucks they will give you a gallon or so,,you could get your self into a drunken stupor every day and your pocket book would hardly notice it at all,,:)

p.s. Im sure you will get use to the taste after a while,,:laugh:

Neezar
02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
how about a nice bottle of baby duck,,it really is sweet and for a couple of bucks they will give you a gallon or so,,you could get your self into a drunken stupor every day and your pocket book would hardly notice it at all,,:)

p.s. Im sure you will get use to the taste after a while,,:laugh:

:laugh:

Mad dog 20/20. = ghetto wine.

Neezar
02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Forgive me, Michelle. I couldn't resist.

http://k43.pbase.com/u36/lindarocks/upload/32222235.crushedsmall.jpg

Moose
02-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm not that much of a wino. Pretty much the only wine I have is whatever they serve at communion.
I love Welch's grape juice too.

J.B.
02-12-2009, 01:27 AM

:w00t: OMG! MD 20/20, thats old school!!! :laugh:

Really, I try to limit my alcohol intake these days even though it seems it is always around me. HOWEVER, when I drink, it's usually Jagermeister or Whiskey.

Wine and Beer is headache liquor to me.

Spiritwalker
02-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Just wondering if there are any wine drinkers here?? I'm not talking about expensive wines, just fairly inexpensive wine that you can pick up someplace like Trader Joes or just your local grocer.
What I've liked is sweet wine.Red, white, doesnt matter as long as it's at least a little sweet.

I need names, brands, label names.

Any suggestions??

(must be 21 to comment :w00t: )

See I thought this would be a Serra appreciation thread...

Woodbridge is a good store brand.. go into any "high dollar" grocery store in the early mornings on a Monday and Thursday and you can normally find the wine vendors. Most of those guys are willing to help.. just tell them what you like..

TexasRN
02-12-2009, 05:09 AM

I know what that tastes like too.

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
02-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Ok, I got in a PM from a high authority figure that Late Harvest Mascato was the way to go. I'll let you all know on Friday night :)

TexasRN
02-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Ok, I got in a PM from a high authority figure that Late Harvest Mascato was the way to go. I'll let you all know on Friday night :)

I say we drink tonight. :)

~Amy

Hughes_GOAT
02-12-2009, 06:17 AM

are you sure "it's the way to go?" or was it just a recommendation :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
02-12-2009, 06:51 AM
I'll let you know Friday night :laugh:

are you sure "it's the way to go?" or was it just a recommendation :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I'll let you know Friday night :laugh:

you wanted sweet so it will be that

MattHughesRocks
02-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Soooo, I went to Trader Joe's today and I get to the wine isles and there he is....the French guy putting more bottles on the shelves. I go up to him and say...
"I'm looking for Late Harvest blah blah blah".
"Well we don't carry that here but I know what it is because I'm from France" :w00t: "What are you looking for?"
"A sweet wine"
"For what?"
For nothing. I'm just going to go home, drink it and get drunk, that's all"

I took all three bottle he suggested

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Misc/001.jpg

I opened the "port" wine because he said it was best served at room temp. I did have a wine bottle opener left over from who knows when/who. Problem is....I LOVE the wine, it's only 5:30 PM and I'm completely drunk because I can't get the cork back in and I don't want to waste it...WAR ME!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/drunk-1-1.gif

Primadawn
02-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Yay Michelle! P.S. What are you going to do with the onions?

Primadawn
Oh and BTW--I can't believe this thread has gotten to page 4 with no mention of the greatest wine ever!

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill!!!!:laugh:

Mac
If i was in the wine drinking mood i always prefered hmmmm Mad dog 20/20 or boones farm snow creek berry , thats some straight up living in a cardboard box stuff lol.

MattHughesRocks
02-14-2009, 02:02 AM
I remember that from when I was 15 :w00t:
The guy working at the local dairy had a crush on me, sold it to me one morning as I cut school. Not one of my best am moments :ashamed:
:laugh: :happy0198:

Oh and BTW--I can't believe this thread has gotten to page 4 with no mention of the greatest wine ever!

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill!!!!:laugh:

MattHughesRocks
02-14-2009, 02:03 AM
I don't do cardboard boxes. I'll live with you before that happens:w00t:

If i was in the wine drinking mood i always prefered hmmmm Mad dog 20/20 or boones farm snow creek berry , thats some straight up living in a cardboard box stuff lol.

Primadawn
02-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Ahhh Strawberry Hill...my last memory of it is drinking two whole bottles of it during college homecoming.

And then barfing two bottles of it on a fraternity house back lawn. Not my finest moment either...

Hughes_GOAT
02-14-2009, 04:34 AM
they don't have it because it's the best sweet wine they have.