PDA

View Full Version : Adderall. A safe prescription?

RG8144
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM
About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with adult ADD. I had all the typical symptoms so I won't go into that because mainly I thought that I would get some input from those of you on the boards who may have experience or knowledge beyond my own regarding Adderall, which I was prescribed. I know there are several people here who work in the medical field that might have some good input.

I have gone through stints where I would take it...maybe for a couple weeks or so and then go off of it. My Doctor said it is fine to take it on an "as needed" basis as it does not need to build up in the systme to have an effect. I did not want to develop the "need" for the drug and have it become a crutch so for the last year I have rarely taken it at all. However, things are getting crazy again with work and the symptoms are setting in again and I am battling with the thought of beginning to take it again.

My main concern is if it is truly a safe drug. I did not experience many of the side-effects except for decreased appetite, but that is not a problem because I time all of my meals throughout the day and eat them regardless. My thought is mostly in the camp of "we have not seen the LONG TERM effects of this drug." I really don't want to take it now for the short term benefits if the long term effects will be detrimental.

OK...go...

TexasRN
11-30-2009, 09:12 PM
As far as I know there are no long term ill effects of Adderall. I have friends who have taken it as adults and friends who've had their kids on it. So far, so good and it's been out for years now. I say if your ADD is affecting your life, take it and when things calm again, do another med holiday.

I also know women who have gotten a prescription for it just for the side effect of lower appetite. They lose weight on it.

~Amy

RG8144
11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks Amy. A concern of mine in the beginning was that I would become addicted to it, but so far that has not been an issue and I have been able to stop taking it cold turkey when I did not need it any more or felt like I should take a "med holiday." I have never been a fan of prescription meds, but Adderall makes a HUGE difference. I do believe we are an over-medicated society and to an extent I feel I am compromising my beliefs on medication by taking it, but I suppose if there is balance involved it should not be beyond consideration if the risk/reward scenario is reasonable. I guess I know the "reward" side of things and am just trying to settle on what risks I might be taking.

Thanks for your input! :)

TexasRN
11-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I agree with you on the overmedicated society comment. I think too many people want a quick fix or magic pill to make it all better. But there are times that medications are truly good things and taking them in those cases do not make you weak. There's nothing wrong at all with taking what you need for when you need it. I myself have used ambien to sleep, I took it for a year straight actually. I never had an addiction, was able to stop cold turkey with no physical or mental issues at all. I never needed more than a very small dose. But I had to sleep. I could not go to work and safely practice when I hadn't slept for two days straight. It just couldn't happen. Now I work in a daytime job at an office with much lower stress and if I don't sleep it's no biggie regarding pt care. I mostly do administrative work and very little hands on care.

~Amy