PDA

View Full Version : Official Statement on the Future of Jens Pulver

Tyburn
02-10-2009, 11:33 PM
:)

"After sitting for a bit and really thinking about whats next, I have come to terms with my last few fights and the losses that I have been through. I meant what I said I am not done, I am gonna stay the course cause I believe in AMC and Matt Hume. I know that I am improving and I know that what I am learning out there is relevant and I will come back from all this. My life has been a roller coaster full of ups and downs, but it is a ride I am not ready to get off of just yet. I am too Driven and enjoy being around the fans to much to pack it in just yet."

Taken from his blog. :w00t:

Thank GOD he's not retiring :mellow:

Preach
02-10-2009, 11:41 PM
:)

"After sitting for a bit and really thinking about whats next, I have come to terms with my last few fights and the losses that I have been through. I meant what I said I am not done, I am gonna stay the course cause I believe in AMC and Matt Hume. I know that I am improving and I know that what I am learning out there is relevant and I will come back from all this. My life has been a roller coaster full of ups and downs, but it is a ride I am not ready to get off of just yet. I am too Driven and enjoy being around the fans to much to pack it in just yet."

Taken from his blog. :w00t:

Thank GOD he's not retiring :mellow:

Who is Jens Pulver? :duck: :frantics:

Tyburn
02-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Who is Jens Pulver? :duck: :frantics:
:angry:

dont

you'll set Michelle off with her pissing on Pulver again :rolleyes:

ufcfan2
02-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I liked his responce better after the Faber fight:punch:
I was never a real big Jens fan,but soon after the BJ fight and seeing him more I've really come to like the guy...I can actually say I was very depressed that he did'nt kick Faber's A:ninja: :ninja:

WAR JENS!!!!

Tyburn
02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
I was never a real big Jens fan
well, noones perfect :mellow:

:laugh:

This is confirmation of what he said the night of the fight. He released a blog later that night saying he needed to cool down and think seriously, and that he hadnt rulled out retirement.

Now we know he has :w00t:

Preach
02-10-2009, 11:46 PM
:angry:

dont

you'll set Michelle off with her pissing on Pulver again :rolleyes:

hahahahaha I am glad that he is staying in there he has some fights ahead of him for sure

Tyburn
02-10-2009, 11:52 PM
hahahahaha I am glad that he is staying in there he has some fights ahead of him for sure
I aggree. Squash a few cans...whilst Leonard Garcia gets the title, and smushes Faber

Then work his way back up beating hopefully both on the way.

btw...whatever happened to Cub Swanson...is he still...erm..around :huh:

As for...Urijah...have you seen my video blog yet? I have a new pet that I've called Urijah. "leaf 4 leaf the best Rubber plant in the world" :laugh:

Tommorow I'll do a thread with some pictures...I'm so proud of him...I just dont quite know how to look after him...I think he might need watering...but...I dunno...I've never had a rubber plant before...he was a reduced to clear item :laugh: Hope Faber has a GSOH, coz I spared him nothing on the details...look at the LAST 55seconds of the video below and you will see what I mean :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xn1D5KoQ84

atomdanger
02-11-2009, 03:18 AM
Right on!

MattHughesRocks
02-11-2009, 04:14 AM
WAR Jens! I sure hope you get your shyte together and win next time! :party0006:

Josh
02-11-2009, 04:48 AM
I like Jens but I would'nt say i'm a huge fan or anything. But his last few losses have been against some of the better fighters in the world. I see no reason to retire until he starts loosing to mediocre guys.

MattHughesRocks
02-11-2009, 05:57 AM
What then quit after beating a bunch of mediocore guys? I say he quits now instead then.

I like Jens but I would'nt say i'm a huge fan or anything. But his last few losses have been against some of the better fighters in the world. I see no reason to retire until he starts loosing to mediocre guys.

Josh
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
What then quit after beating a bunch of mediocore guys? I say he quits now instead then.
Yeah I see what you are saying. Better to go out on top but if I was him I would'nt quit until I lost a couple more.

rearnakedchoke
02-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I feel bad for him ... he is fighting for some sorta redemption and he needs to prove nothing ... he doesn't have good people with him that need to tell him his career is over . ... no one likes seeing an old dog getting whipped by his younger counterparts ... hopefully he is not hurt too much to realize his fighting career is over

hizo64
02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I was never a real big Jens fan,but soon after the BJ fight and seeing him more I've really come to like the guy...I can actually say I was very depressed that he did'nt kick Faber's A:ninja: :ninja:

WAR JENS!!!!

Ya I have to agree with you, I had seen him im some pride fights and never really paid much mind to him. Then he earned my when he fought Baby J and then moved to the WEC. Gotta say I was cheering for him during the faber fight, glad he isnt retiring just yet. :)

Neezar
02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
:Whistle:

Champ2be
02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Hmmm... This is kinda the way Ken Shamrock went out too ya know :unsure-1: Retire now I say.

Tyburn
02-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Hmmm... This is kinda the way Ken Shamrock went out too ya know :unsure-1: Retire now I say.
noone asked you :angry:

and suprise, suprise, its rearnakedchoke and his falsefandom again :mellow:

Neezar
02-11-2009, 08:18 PM
That is not a word.

Preach
02-11-2009, 08:33 PM
That is not a word.

Thats what I thought

Blade
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Flunked in UFC, then got relegated to the lesser WEC and still flunked. What next, Cage Rage? lol Nah, he's washed up, he needs to retire, otherwise he's gonna end up with a worse record than Tank Abbott.

Preach
02-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Flunked in UFC, then got relegated to the lesser WEC and still flunked. What next, Cage Rage? lol Nah, he's washed up, he needs to retire, otherwise he's gonna end up with a worse record than Tank Abbott.
atleast he wont have Tanks gut:tongue0011:

Blade
02-11-2009, 08:49 PM
atleast he wont have Tanks gut:tongue0011:

Hey show some respect Preach, thousands of hours and thousands of dollars went into building that gut!

Crisco
02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I heard from a friend that Tank is actually gay.. That he hangs out a gay bar. Rumor of course but still funny.

Tyburn
02-11-2009, 09:13 PM
That is not a word.
whats your point :huh:

Preach
02-11-2009, 09:41 PM
:laugh: Hey show some respect Preach, thousands of hours and thousands of dollars went into building that gut!

hizo64
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Regardless of his sexual orientation or MMA record, I would still hate to fight him!! Did you guys ever see that video where he bench presses like 600lbs or something like that, insane!

GroundNPound
02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
WAR Jens!

I think he needs to step back and fight some B level fighters and get his groove back. Kind of hard to fight faber-garcia-faber when Faber is the best in the world.

hizo64
02-12-2009, 09:19 PM
WAR Jens!

I think he needs to step back and fight some B level fighters and get his groove back. Kind of hard to fight faber-garcia-faber when Faber is the best in the world.

Agreed, I thought he kinda bit a little bit more than he could chew cause Faber is one of the new breed MMA fighters.

GroundNPound
02-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Agreed, I thought he kinda bit a little bit more than he could chew cause Faber is one of the new breed MMA fighters.

Yeah, that was a little hard to watch. I like Jens but Faber is just too fast.

Tyburn
02-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that was a little hard to watch. I like Jens but Faber is just too fast.
:mellow:

No I think if they had a rematch Jens would win.

Did you know...speaking of Faber...I've just bought myself a Rubber Plant...and called it Urijah :laugh: :laugh:

GroundNPound
02-13-2009, 12:48 AM
:mellow:

No I think if they had a rematch Jens would win.

Did you know...speaking of Faber...I've just bought myself a Rubber Plant...and called it Urijah :laugh: :laugh:

I call it like I see it. Jens can't beat Faber. And I was rooting for Jens.

MattHughesRocks
02-13-2009, 03:11 AM
If he gets his crap together and evolves as a fighter he can.

MattHughesRocks
02-13-2009, 03:12 AM
He's not gay.

I heard from a friend that Tank is actually gay.. That he hangs out a gay bar. Rumor of course but still funny.

KevinD
02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=Tyburn]I aggree. Squash a few cans...whilst Leonard Garcia gets the title, and smushes Faber

I think you are in a bit of a dream world there. Pulver had his day and sadly that day has come and gone. I don't see him beating any of the top fighters in his division in the WEC.

Tyburn
02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
The first match showed he could. He was winning the second until he got caught.

You can "call it" whatever you want. :laugh:

Tyburn
02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Tyburn]I aggree. Squash a few cans...whilst Leonard Garcia gets the title, and smushes Faber

I think you are in a bit of a dream world there. Pulver had his day and sadly that day has come and gone. I don't see him beating any of the top fighters in his division in the WEC.

Dont be silly. He has shown the potential to beat Faber, and Urijah is long time best of that division. A year from now he could potentially have the Title (Jens I mean, not Urijah...he'll never see it again, coz Leonard Garcia is next on the Throne :w00t:

KevinD
02-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree Garcia will win the title. But I don't think Jens can beat Faber, Brown or Garcia.

Tyburn
02-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I agree Garcia will win the title. But I don't think Jens can beat Faber, Brown or Garcia.
I dont know about Brown. Faber I know he has the potential, and Garcia aswell...he just got caught. Brown...until they fight I can only tell you that I have the upmost confidence in his abilities :)

rearnakedchoke
02-13-2009, 06:24 PM
noone asked you :angry:

and suprise, suprise, its rearnakedchoke and his falsefandom again :mellow:

wow .. just saw this .. LOL .... so you like watching jens getting beat into a pulp, cry in his post fight comments and ponder retirement ... the way i see it, if retirement evens pops up as an option, it is probably time to call it a career, but only a fighting career .. he has great coaching and training potential .. and a new kid to worry about ... stay healthy and train people, it will ensure he stays on this earth longer ...

Tyburn
02-13-2009, 06:47 PM
wow .. just saw this .. LOL ....

1)so you like watching jens getting beat into a pulp,

2) cry in his post fight comments and

3) ponder retirement ...

4) the way i see it, if retirement evens pops up as an option, it is probably time to call it a career, but only a fighting career ..

5) he has great coaching and training potential .. and a new kid to worry about ... stay healthy and train people, it will ensure he stays on this earth longer ...
1) He's a fighter in a competition. He held his own against Urijah 1, he got caught against Garcia and he was winning til he got caught verses Urijah 2. I aint seen no "pulp"

2) Jens being expressive doesnt worry me. I dont want to see him burst into tears, but if he does, I wont have sleepless nights about it. What I like about Jens is that he aint afraid to cry on camara if he feels sad.

3) He can ponder retirement. Thats for him to decide...and he has decided. I support his decision, I also happen to aggree with it aswell.

4) "the way [you] see it" doesnt really matter. Its stupid to think that people who dont go through bad patches, wont consider retirement, and more stupid to think they must retire because they consider it.

5) He's not ready to do that full time yet. He doesnt want to, I dont want him to be unhappy, and I aggree with him. He's not that old verses some of them still in competition. Do you feel Randy should quit because then he'd have greater longevity.

You call yourself a fan, but the truth of the matter as I see it, is you think he's crappy, should quit as a fighter, and just coach...you base that probably only on what you saw on TUF. Is that an idiom for "out of sight, out of mind" ?

I say its his choice. I will support him whatever he decides, even if I dissagree with his decision. I believe he has the tallent and ability to beat anyone. I also know that he doesnt want to be gifted. He's lost a few, he should work his way back up. Thats what he would want, thats what I think is best...but then I take loyalty very seriously. I dont try and reduce him, hide him, or make him irrelevent.:mellow:

VCURamFan
02-13-2009, 06:56 PM
wow .. just saw this .. LOL .... so you like watching jens getting beat into a pulp, cry in his post fight comments and ponder retirement ... the way i see it, if retirement evens pops up as an option, it is probably time to call it a career, but only a fighting career .. he has great coaching and training potential .. and a new kid to worry about ... stay healthy and train people, it will ensure he stays on this earth longer ...Are you serious? So back after Matt had back-to-back losses in early 2001 and questioned whether or not he should stay in the sport, he should have just hung it up & retired, right? I mean, his career was clearly over & he'd never amount to anything.:rolleyes:

rearnakedchoke
02-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Are you serious? So back after Matt had back-to-back losses in early 2001 and questioned whether or not he should stay in the sport, he should have just hung it up & retired, right? I mean, his career was clearly over & he'd never amount to anything.:rolleyes:

that was different .. in 2001, who knew even if mma was going to be a successful sport, the money wasn't even that great (i know money is not everything), so back then, the idea was, should i even bother with a sport that might not even exist in the near future... now it is 2009, can jens hang with up and coming kids coming into the sport, who knows, but i think we have seen his best days and he has nothing to prove .. he is not like an aging football star who hasn't won a superbowl, he has been a champ

why get smoked against these youngsters in the cage when you can train someone to beat them .. that is all, if he wants to fight, who am i? it is his decision

Tyburn
02-13-2009, 07:19 PM
if he wants to fight, who am i? it is his decision
:) He's made his decision for now.:cool:

rearnakedchoke
02-13-2009, 07:34 PM
correct ..

GroundNPound
02-16-2009, 05:06 PM

I'm kind of glad Jens is still fighting because he's a likable guy. If gets his head straight he may be able to contend some but I doubt he'll ever beat the best guys.

After watching his 2 fights with Faber I think it's clear his reactions have slowed and his best days are behind him. I just don't want him to keep fighting and losing like Ken Shamrock and ruining his legacy. If he loses his next fight he needs to retire.

Tyburn
02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm kind of glad Jens is still fighting because he's a likable guy. If gets his head straight he may be able to contend some but I doubt he'll ever beat the best guys.

After watching his 2 fights with Faber I think it's clear his reactions have slowed and his best days are behind him. I just don't want him to keep fighting and losing like Ken Shamrock and ruining his legacy. If he loses his next fight he needs to retire.
thats for the future and for him to decide.

I dont think that taking Faber to a five round decision, or that flurry we saw in the first round show anything about reaction times :blink:

hizo64
02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Please dont Shamrock yourself Jens!

GroundNPound
02-16-2009, 07:23 PM
thats for the future and for him to decide.

I dont think that taking Faber to a five round decision, or that flurry we saw in the first round show anything about reaction times :blink:

Well Garcia beat him to the punch as well. And I guess you could look at it like taking Faber to a decision or you could say he got pummeled from bell to bell which is what I saw. It seems like Jens doesn't pull the trigger fast enough anymore...or maybe it's just a rut. We'll see.

que
02-16-2009, 09:08 PM
good for jens.

as rocky said it's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward

hizo64
02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
good for jens.

as rocky said it's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward

Bless you Rocky......YO ADRIEN!! JENS DID IT!!

Tyburn
02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Well Garcia beat him to the punch as well. And I guess you could look at it like taking Faber to a decision or you could say he got pummeled from bell to bell which is what I saw. It seems like Jens doesn't pull the trigger fast enough anymore...or maybe it's just a rut. We'll see.
Yes but Leonard Garcia is special. :ninja: Your looking at a Rex in the making with him.

But he didnt get pummeled from bell to bell. He got pummeled once in the second or third. The rest he was holding his own. Sure he wasnt his usual self, but he had trained for the ground I think he was startled that Urijah would choose to stand.

Also...you know he's had a difficult time, not long between fights, bad time of year, bereved of a close friend, new baby...all in about three months. That might explain why his training isnt showing in the Octagon yet. But it will. Trust me...I'm a Doctor :laugh:

Neezar
02-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Doctor of what? Bull****ting your way around things? :laugh:

Neezar
02-17-2009, 08:00 PM
**** really shouldn't be a censored word. We all do it. :irked:

Neezar
02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
What about 'damn'?

edit: Okay, I will try using that one from now on. :laugh:

rockdawg21
02-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Who's Jens Pulver? Sounds like the name of a horse jockey.

Tyburn
02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Who's Jens Pulver? Sounds like the name of a horse jockey.
:ninja: funny you should mention Horses. He grew up near a race course because for a time his Father was very sucessful at riding. :mellow:

MattHughesRocks
02-18-2009, 04:16 AM
Dave, I think you just got played :laugh:

QUOTE=Tyburn]:ninja: funny you should mention Horses. He grew up near a race course because for a time his Father was very sucessful at riding. :mellow:[/QUOTE]

rockdawg21
02-18-2009, 04:17 AM
Dave, I think you just got played :laugh:

:ninja: funny you should mention Horses. He grew up near a race course because for a time his Father was very sucessful at riding. :mellow:
MattHughesRocks is right! :rotfl:

Of all the people to miss that joke, I wouldn't have expected it to be Dave! :tongue0011:

Tyburn
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I dont understand :mellow:

Its obvious he knew who Jens Pulver was...but I dont get the joke :unsure-1:

VCURamFan
02-18-2009, 03:56 PM
I dont understand :mellow:

Its obvious he knew who Jens Pulver was...but I dont get the joke :unsure-1:He was saying that Jens is a small person, like a jockey.

Tyburn
02-18-2009, 04:25 PM
He was saying that Jens is a small person, like a jockey.
ohh...oookay :blink:

rockdawg21
02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Actually, I was just making fun of the name. I was going to say it sounded like the name of ironically, a German Jew (http://www.answers.com/topic/pulver-1), but decided to read his bio and found his father was a former jockey - that seemed much more fitting. :laugh:

Nah, I wouldn't do that. When I graduated high school, I was 5'7", 120 pounds and got made fun of for being small. I've since bulked up a lot, but still wouldn't make fun of somebody's small size. I'm more likely to poke at an obese person for driving up health care costs. :rotfl: