PDA

View Full Version : Karo test positive for painkillers

matthughesfan21
02-10-2009, 08:36 PM
UFC 94 competitor Karo Parisyan tests positive for prescription painkillers
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm ET
UFC veteran welterweight Karo Parisyan, who last competed on Jan. 31 in a victory over Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 94, tested positive for a multiple prescription painkillers at the event.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today emailed news of the failed test to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

According to Kizer, Parisyan tested positive for the banned substances hydrocodone, hydromorphone and oxymorphone.

Parisyan will now be subject to a suspension and fine from the NSAC.

In addition to Parisyan, other UFC 94 fighters tested for steroids and drugs of abuse include Georges St. Pierre, B.J. Penn, Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, Clay Guida, Jon Jones, Jake O'Brien, John Howard, Thiago Tavares, Stephan Bonnar and Nate Diaz.

All competitors except Parisyan test negative.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com for updates on this story.

VCURamFan
02-10-2009, 08:37 PM
UFC 94 competitor Karo Parisyan tests positive for prescription painkillers
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm ET
UFC veteran welterweight Karo Parisyan, who last competed on Jan. 31 in a victory over Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 94, tested positive for a multiple prescription painkillers at the event.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today emailed news of the failed test to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) (http://www.mmajunkie.com%29).

According to Kizer, Parisyan tested positive for the banned substances hydrocodone, hydromorphone and oxymorphone.

Parisyan will now be subject to a suspension and fine from the NSAC.

In addition to Parisyan, other UFC 94 fighters tested for steroids and drugs of abuse include Georges St. Pierre, B.J. Penn, Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, Clay Guida, Jon Jones, Jake O'Brien, John Howard, Thiago Tavares, Stephan Bonnar and Nate Diaz.

All competitors except Parisyan test negative.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com for updates on this story.No wonder he looked so out of it!

Llamafighter
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Do they remove the loss from Dong's record?

Crisco
02-10-2009, 08:39 PM
That leg never fully healed for him. May need the killers to just to keep going

Crisco
02-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Do they remove the loss from Dong's record?

I believe it's ruled a no contest say yea. he becomes ?-?-1

rearnakedchoke
02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I believe it's ruled a no contest say yea. he becomes ?-?-1

Does it not depend on the athletic commission? doesn't sherk's win over franca still count as a win? i might be wrong ... as for karo, i am not a big fan of the guy, and yes he had banned substances in his system, but i would give him a pass as a first time offender and the fact that he was probably taking them for something else and not trying to cheat

Bonnie
02-10-2009, 09:39 PM
I really think Dong won that fight, myself.

If a fighter has to be on painkillers for something and is upfront about it, will they allow him to fight (depending on what the drug is and how much he is taking)? :unsure-1:

Country Breakfast
02-10-2009, 09:56 PM

If a fighter has to be on painkillers for something and is upfront about it, will they allow him to fight (depending on what the drug is and how much he is taking)? :unsure-1:

Not any of the narcotic stuff he was taking(I would think)
That stuff could very well be a detriment for him in a fight. If he took enough of them it could be like "fighting under the influence".

Spiritwalker
02-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Does it not depend on the athletic commission? doesn't sherk's win over franca still count as a win? i might be wrong ... as for karo, i am not a big fan of the guy, and yes he had banned substances in his system, but i would give him a pass as a first time offender and the fact that he was probably taking them for something else and not trying to cheat

Correct. Sean's win is still a win.

And yes, it's determined by the ruling commission.

Spiritwalker
02-10-2009, 11:32 PM

Probably not allow them to fight if it's still in their system to the point where it can effect them. But if you need it that bad... you probably shouldn't even be driving, let alone fighting.

I am a Karo fan. But that's just plain stupid.

I would like to know why he was taking them. The amounts in his system.

I was on some kick but pain killers when I was in the hospital years ago. I had to take them for a few weeks.. but then I ran out and was stopped cold.. and I seriously felt the withdrawal..

So maybe it's an addiction?

atomdanger
02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
WTF Karo.

So much for working out your "anxiety" problems,
just get high instead.

atomdanger
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
According to Karo via mmamania.com

this was Jan 26th, him saying he DOESN'T take his medication.

ďWhy (didnít I) take them? Because I wasnít having a panic attack, (but) I was so crazy about what was going on with me, what Iím gonna do, etc., etc. I was like, well, I have medication for that, but Iím scared. I donít want to take that ****ing medication right now, just because it might make it worse for some reason. I was just trying to deal with the panic attacks, so I never took medication. And if it happens, God forbid, please God forbid, then Iíll probably pop a Xanax, and itíll probably put me to sleep or something. I donít know what it does.Ē

then he tests positive for it.
But I guess he gets xanax? not 3 kinds of pain killer?

Josh
02-10-2009, 11:58 PM
According to Karo via mmamania.com

this was Jan 26th, him saying he DOESN'T take his medication.

then he tests positive for it.
But I guess he gets xanax? not 3 kinds of pain killer?
Karo and Sherk should start training together. Neither do drugs but both test positive.

atomdanger
02-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Karo and Sherk should start training together. Neither do drugs but both test positive.

lol

at least Sherk tested in California, the mystery state.

Straight Right
02-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Three kinds of prescription pain killers? There really is no excuse for that.

If it really was for his hamstring, and he was in that much pain he shouldn't be fighting in a cage fight to begin with. I didn't think he won that his fight with Dong, and I never really liked Karo "Don't-you-know-who-I-am? theHeat" Parisyan much to begin with--he can just fade away and maybe come back when he is totally healthy, mentally and physically--if that ever happens.

Jason 16
02-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Correct. Sean's win is still a win.

And yes, it's determined by the ruling commission.

and sherk was screwed sorry had to throw that out there but dint they both test positive on that one

que
02-11-2009, 02:09 AM
man, this is a bad time for greg jacksons camp. first GSP greases, now karo gets caught using drugs. what's next, is rashad evans going to get caught using cocaine?

Jason 16
02-11-2009, 02:23 AM
man, this is a bad time for greg jacksons camp. first GSP greases, now karo gets caught using drugs. what's next, is rashad evans going to get caught using cocaine?

if he parties anything like chuck when he was champ I would not doubt it one bit

Spiritwalker
02-11-2009, 03:21 AM
and sherk was screwed sorry had to throw that out there but dint they both test positive on that one

Both him and Hermes Franca..

Hermes admitted it. Sean says he didn't. And with his evidence and the apparent corruption in the commission as well as the fact that no one would listen to what he had to say... really makes me give him the benefit of the doubt.. That and the fact that the commission reduced his suspension after he finally got some to listen.

MattHughesRocks
02-11-2009, 05:21 AM
GSP never touched that grease :unsure-1:

rockdawg21
02-11-2009, 05:58 AM
I wonder if Rogan will still be a Karo nuthugger now?

sasquatch
02-11-2009, 06:41 AM
I wonder if Rogan will still be a Karo nuthugger now?
Doesn't Rogan like pills and stuff too?:unsure-1:

GnP
02-11-2009, 09:12 AM

This must actually be a disappointment to some on here who would have you believe GSP is like a walking chemist. Strange he tests clean and no one mentions it

Spiritwalker
02-11-2009, 12:13 PM

Joe Rogan is a pot head...

which is why he isn't allowed in Canada.

billwilliams70
02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
No wonder he looked so out of it!
That's the fight that his mouthpiece kept falling out. I remember Rogan commenting on that quite frequently.

Later.

GroundNPound
02-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Karo is on his way out. He has issues.

timmyja
02-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Nick Diaz got screwed in his fight w/ Gomi when the W was changed to a NC. He only tested positive for pot! Just my opinion but 3 different kinds of painpills still in your system is WAY worse than blazing herb.

maxumII
02-12-2009, 01:25 AM
This must actually be a disappointment to some on here who would have you believe GSP is like a walking chemist. Strange he tests clean and no one mentions it

That's because it doesn't matter to most people here. He could take a hot shower in between rounds while fighting (dominating) everyone who claimed he felt "slippery" and test negative to every drug made, and still get no respect. There will always be an excuse.

But the real answer that you will hear here is that he is taking drugs that they don't test for!!

Preach
02-12-2009, 01:38 AM
That's because it doesn't matter to most people here. He could take a hot shower in between rounds while fighting (dominating) everyone who claimed he felt "slippery" and test negative to every drug made, and still get no respect. There will always be an excuse.

But the real answer that you will hear here is that he is taking drugs that they don't test for!!

1 So Matt is just making excuses ok whatever...
2. your correct he is taking something that they dont test or dont test properly for

maxumII
02-12-2009, 02:08 AM
1 So Matt is just making excuses ok whatever...
2. your correct he is taking something that they dont test or dont test properly for

1. I should have specified. I meant his fans will make excuses as to why his (GSP) opponent lost.

2. Why can't he be in the shape he is from hard work and talent alone? Are you saying it is impossible?

3. Speaking of their second fight ONLY, how was Matt able to tell if he was slippery or not? It was a stand up fight. This has been mentioned before, but I have yet to hear an answer.

TexasRN
02-12-2009, 05:05 AM

Yes, pills and stuff. Look him up on youtube and you can find out all kinds of things he likes. :blink: It's actually pretty funny.

~Amy

VCURamFan
02-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Yes, pills and stuff. Look him up on youtube and you can find out all kinds of things he likes. :blink: It's actually pretty funny.

~Amy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDSds8Z-wE)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDSds8Z-wE

ufcfan2
02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Has there been a responce by Karo on what happened? I kindof like the guy,but you should know what painkillers are on the banned list. Also should know whats being put in ur body I would hope..
He looked like crap in that fight might of been side effects of the painkillers or something. The guy takes one step forward and 5 steps back with his career.
Far as punishment hope its not too harsh,its painkillers not HGH/Steroids,but I would understand as they are still banned substances...
I would think going to GJ's camp was a smart move on his part now I'm not so sure :rolleyes:

Preach
02-12-2009, 04:45 PM
1. I should have specified. I meant his fans will make excuses as to why his (GSP) opponent lost.

2. Why can't he be in the shape he is from hard work and talent alone? Are you saying it is impossible?

3. Speaking of their second fight ONLY, how was Matt able to tell if he was slippery or not? It was a stand up fight. This has been mentioned before, but I have yet to hear an answer.

Your correct Matt doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground

hizo64
02-12-2009, 05:12 PM

Again on this? Just drop it man, Matt was very clear on his comments. If you cant decipher that on your own then stop coming to this forum for a while. Go to your room, collect your thoughts and start questioning your life's path and worth. Then come back and join us again and be cool. :cool:

GroundNPound
02-12-2009, 05:24 PM

You should realize that these people won't even entertain the thought of Matt being wrong or Matt not being the best fighter, etc. You can't question anything about him here.

But I do think you ask a valid question...how would Matt know from the second fight? They locked horns one time and GSP got away. Perhaps he is referring to the 3rd fight. Anyway, only an idiot would attribute GSP's wins to greasing...I think he's shown that he's a pretty dynamic fighter and doesn't just rely on LNP and slipping out of subs with grease.

hizo64
02-12-2009, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=GroundNPound]You should realize that these people won't even entertain the thought of Matt being wrong or Matt not being the best fighter, etc. You can't question anything about him here.QUOTE]

Dude just go to this place http://www.sherdog.net/forums/ join up, and stop talking trash about all the forum members.

Neezar
02-12-2009, 06:03 PM
But I do think you ask a valid question...how would Matt know from the second fight? They locked horns one time and GSP got away. Perhaps he is referring to the 3rd fight. Anyway, only an idiot would attribute GSP's wins to greasing...I think he's shown that he's a pretty dynamic fighter and doesn't just rely on LNP and slipping out of subs with grease.

They aren't saying that the cheating is winning but that the winner is a cheater.

:laugh:

Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater......

GroundNPound
02-12-2009, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=GroundNPound]You should realize that these people won't even entertain the thought of Matt being wrong or Matt not being the best fighter, etc. You can't question anything about him here.QUOTE]

Dude just go to this place http://www.sherdog.net/forums/ join up, and stop talking trash about all the forum members.

:laugh: You're funny. I haven't talked any trash thanks.

maxumII
02-12-2009, 06:14 PM

You said that, not me.

Neezar
02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
You two always show up together. Aw, how sweet.

maxumII
02-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Again on this? Just drop it man, Matt was very clear on his comments. If you cant decipher that on your own then stop coming to this forum for a while. Go to your room, collect your thoughts and start questioning your life's path and worth. Then come back and join us again and be cool. :cool:

Yea very clear,

"Iím not saying GSP did something wrong and Iím not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy."

I am just asking a question, not accusing him of lieing or making excuses. Maybe he misspoke about the 2nd fight or maybe I missed something, which is why I'm asking. Are you so blind you can't post your OWN opinion on the matter? So why don't you go to your room and question your existance and come back with a thought of your own.

Neezar
02-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Are you so blind you can't post your OWN opinion on the matter?

Are you saying that blind people can't have their own opinion? :angry: How rude!

hizo64
02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Yea very clear,

"Iím not saying GSP did something wrong and Iím not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy."

I am just asking a question, not accusing him of lieing or making excuses. Maybe he misspoke about the 2nd fight or maybe I missed something, which is why I'm asking. Are you so blind you can't post your OWN opinion on the matter? So why don't you go to your room and question your existance and come back with a thought of your own.

HA HA I hurt your feelings!! :tongue0011: and thank for adding color, it brightened up my day! :rolleyes:

maxumII
02-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Are you saying that blind people can't have their own opinion? :angry: How rude!

Funny. Blind loyal!!!!

maxumII
02-12-2009, 08:21 PM
HA HA I hurt your feelings!! :tongue0011: and thank for adding color, it brightened up my day! :rolleyes:
Hurt my feelings? Not a chance.

Preach
02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
You should realize that these people won't even entertain the thought of Matt being wrong or Matt not being the best fighter, etc. You can't question anything about him here.

Okay to refer to your first statement.. Let's see is this an MMA website? Or is this a website created for and by a MMA fighter?

I think its the Later!!!!!!!!

So if you dont like the fact that we support Matt get out.... Does Matt make mistakes? Sure!!! But that does not change the fact that he is my favorite fighter and I will support him through thick or thin....

hizo64
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Hurt my feelings? Not a chance.

Man Im sorry dude! Dont get all salty over it geez! Put the gun down and dont end it!

GroundNPound
02-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Okay to refer to your first statement.. Let's see is this an MMA website? Or is this a website created for and by a MMA fighter?

I think its the Later!!!!!!!!

So if you dont like the fact that we support Matt get out.... Does Matt make mistakes? Sure!!! But that does not change the fact that he is my favorite fighter and I will support him through thick or thin....

No one was even talking to you son. Another member had an opinion and a good question and someone else told him to leave and come back when he's "cool". :cry:

hizo64
02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
No one was even talking to you son. Another member had an opinion and a good question and someone else told him to leave and come back when he's "cool". :cry:

And he never came back "cool"....sad, I dont get how we all converge on a forum thats actually "The Matt Hughes Forum" and argue with each other? Aren't we all huge Matt Hughes fans? Yes Im a BJ Penn fan and a GSP fan but I dont go putting them up on a super high platform and praise them to no end and argue with fellow Matt Hughes fans cause hey, Im here IN THE MATT HUGHES FORUM. Come on people lets all remember where we are and be respectful to each other and mostly to Mr. Matt Hughes himself.

maxumII
02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
And he never came back "cool"....sad, I dont get how we all converge on a forum thats actually "The Matt Hughes Forum" and argue with each other? Aren't we all huge Matt Hughes fans? Yes Im a BJ Penn fan and a GSP fan but I dont go putting them up on a super high platform and praise them to no end and argue with fellow Matt Hughes fans cause hey, Im here IN THE MATT HUGHES FORUM. Come on people lets all remember where we are and be respectful to each other and mostly to Mr. Matt Hughes himself.

I guess I need to start using smilies. I was "cool" the entire time.

Tyburn
02-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm dissapointed because Karo should know better...but at least it was just painkillers, he's evidently either got an addiction problem, or something hurts :cry:

I dont even think he should have been awarded the decision win. I thought he lost. So I hope they take that away from him

Tyburn
02-12-2009, 10:58 PM
:laugh: Sas you are fantastic! :)

Tyburn
02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
:laugh: your so...naughty Ben!

Preach
02-12-2009, 11:02 PM

Erm Dad:frantics:

GroundNPound
02-12-2009, 11:07 PM

I'm good. Just feel the need to respond when someone tells me to leave. I don't remember trashing anyone.

Let's just all get along! :)