PDA

View Full Version : My Archery 10 point Buck for this season!

RG8144
11-20-2009, 02:39 PM
On Wednesday night I made the 3 hour drive down to Clinton, IL (south of Bloomington). Woke up Thursday morning and was in the stand by 5:50am. The weather was perfect. (when isn't the weather perfect when you are in a tree stand hunting?:)) Light rain, 35 degrees, sun coming up in front of me. At about 6:10am, 5 minutes after first light, I see a deer's head and what I thought was about a 6 point rack pop up over the ridge silhouetted against the sunrise. He was about 100 yards out. He gradually made his way towards me and was at about 40 yards, but I decided to pass on that shot as I had not spent much time sighting in my 40 yard pin AND this was my first time out with a bow and I told myself I was going to keep my shots within 30 yards. Well, lucky me because Mr. Buck continued coming toward me and eventuall ended up right under my stand at 25 yards. I drew back sighted him in quickly and released. He jumped, ran about 15 yards and dropped.

Ended up it was a straight shot to the heart and he bleed out all over the place. Arrow had a entry and exit wound and did some real damage because this beast just dropped and didnt move again. It was a great, quick kill.

He was about 250 lbs. Scored 160 according to Boone/Crockett. He was a 10 point with a 5 inch and 3.5 inch brow tines. Very happy with this guy. He will make a great mount and some real good eating over the next year!

I should have more pics in the next couple of days once I get them off my buddies camera.

Llamafighter
11-20-2009, 02:49 PM
That's a really nice looking deer man. Good shot.

rearnakedchoke
11-20-2009, 02:57 PM
somehow this doesn't seem as exciting as mac's story .. i was hoping the thing would chase you down and stuff ... LOL

Mac, you could take some pointers from RG .. oh oh, now I've done it ..

RG8144
11-20-2009, 03:46 PM
That's a really nice looking deer man. Good shot.

Thanks! I will definitely be spending the $ to have it mounted!

somehow this doesn't seem as exciting as mac's story .. i was hoping the thing would chase you down and stuff ... LOL

It's NOT as exciting for sure. I actually relayed Mac's story to several of my other hunting buddies...they were ALL very :scared0015::scared0011: . In the end he won though so that is awesome and he has a GREAT story to tell for decades to come.

Neezar
11-20-2009, 04:46 PM

:laugh:

Mac
11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Nice Buck man , congratulations .

Rev
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
that is a great deer!!!

Blade
11-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Just so Mac doesn't think I only have a personal vendetta against him, this thread is disgraceful, lol.

Mac
11-20-2009, 10:27 PM

HEYYY NOWWWWWW LOL !!

Sometimes the oppertunity for a good shot placement presents itself , and sometimes it doesnt . in the countless deer ive arrowed only a couple have taken more than one shot , But NONE were lost , Ive only ever lost one deer and that was a doe about 5 years ago , trailed her till she ran out of blood , quit bleeding and never found her.

Ive shot deer before that didnt make it 10 feet , Well the big 9 that dressed out over 260 pounds that i shot last year didnt go 3 feet ' But that one the other day lol , It was shoot or let him go , shot wasnt the best but like RG said . No matter howmany shots , i stayed on the track and never gave up and He ended up in the freezer and thats all that Matters.

RG unless i misread thats your first deer , Man again congratulations , my first bow kill was an 8 pointer that still had milk on his lips about 100 yards behind my folks house lol . Your off to a good start .

rearnakedchoke
11-21-2009, 01:10 PM
HEYYY NOWWWWWW LOL !!

Sometimes the oppertunity for a good shot placement presents itself , and sometimes it doesnt . in the countless deer ive arrowed only a couple have taken more than one shot , But NONE were lost , Ive only ever lost one deer and that was a doe about 5 years ago , trailed her till she ran out of blood , quit bleeding and never found her.

Ive shot deer before that didnt make it 10 feet , Well the big 9 that dressed out over 260 pounds that i shot last year didnt go 3 feet ' But that one the other day lol , It was shoot or let him go , shot wasnt the best but like RG said . No matter howmany shots , i stayed on the track and never gave up and He ended up in the freezer and thats all that Matters.

RG unless i misread thats your first deer , Man again congratulations , my first bow kill was an 8 pointer that still had milk on his lips about 100 yards behind my folks house lol . Your off to a good start .

yeah, i was just breakin your you know what ... your story actually shows amazing resilience of what hunting is about imo ... so you didn't drop the thing right away, but you didn't just give up and let the thing rot somewhere .... people always give hunters the gears about being inhumane or whatever, but them and anglers are probably the most important key to conservation ... good job man ...

Blade
11-21-2009, 02:25 PM
them and anglers are probably the most important key to conservation ... good job man ...

Can you explain please?

rearnakedchoke
11-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Can you explain please?

well, just like everything, numbers must be kept in check ... and hunters aren't allowed to just kill anything they see ... each jurisdiction looks at the numbers of deer, bears, whatever and hand out tags for people to take a certain number of animals that season ... same with fish, there are limits on how many you can take ... if everyone relied on commericially produced food for example, there would be an increase in numbers of animals ... if there is an increase, you will see a decrease in whatever they prey on, so deer would be going through farmers fields and tearing them up, bears would come closer to where humans live and going through trash ... when that start to happens, disease sets in and the entire breed of the animal gets weaker ... so keeping numbers in check is a necessity ...

Blade
11-23-2009, 01:06 PM
well, just like everything, numbers must be kept in check ... and hunters aren't allowed to just kill anything they see ... each jurisdiction looks at the numbers of deer, bears, whatever and hand out tags for people to take a certain number of animals that season ... same with fish, there are limits on how many you can take ... if everyone relied on commericially produced food for example, there would be an increase in numbers of animals ... if there is an increase, you will see a decrease in whatever they prey on, so deer would be going through farmers fields and tearing them up, bears would come closer to where humans live and going through trash ... when that start to happens, disease sets in and the entire breed of the animal gets weaker ... so keeping numbers in check is a necessity ...

So what did nature do before man and his infinite wisdom came along?

rearnakedchoke
11-23-2009, 01:27 PM
So what did nature do before man and his infinite wisdom came along?

there were other predators that were at the top of the food chain ... that's how it works ... God in His wisdom created a niche for every species ... that is why you see when species are initially introduced to an environment where they have no natural predators, they strive and cause problems .. (like zebra mussels and goby's up here) ... their numbers explode and cause issues for the natural species .. so hunters are keeping the numbers in check .. that is why you won't find any species you are allowed to hunt in North America with dwindling numbers ... because if they ever started to decrease, you wouldn't be allowed to hunt or fish them .. and since hunters and anglers are conservationists, they abide ... get it?

MattHughesRocks
11-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Like this ,but in a much longer version :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7eEGhlJhhA

rockdawg21
11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
He looks tasty. At least you got the deer with an arrow rather than a gun. I always laugh when I hear guys, "Yeah....shot a 10-point buck this morning." I just always say, "Really? You sound so proud of shooting the defenseless deer from 500 feet away." :laugh:

I just don't see the sport in shooting it with a gun, but at the same time, I'll eat it.

RG8144
11-23-2009, 05:33 PM

there were other predators that were at the top of the food chain ... that's how it works ... God in His wisdom created a niche for every species ... that is why you see when species are initially introduced to an environment where they have no natural predators, they strive and cause problems .. (like zebra mussels and goby's up here) ... their numbers explode and cause issues for the natural species .. so hunters are keeping the numbers in check .. that is why you won't find any species you are allowed to hunt in North America with dwindling numbers ... because if they ever started to decrease, you wouldn't be allowed to hunt or fish them .. and since hunters and anglers are conservationists, they abide ... get it?

RNC - Agreed. Very well put. I have had to have similar conversations over the last few days with folks who weren't so excited that I had taken out a poor "bambi" deer. I also had to explain that this buck was no babmbi. :laugh:

He looks tasty. At least you got the deer with an arrow rather than a gun. I always laugh when I hear guys, "Yeah....shot a 10-point buck this morning." I just always say, "Really? You sound so proud of shooting the defenseless deer from 500 feet away." :laugh:

I just don't see the sport in shooting it with a gun, but at the same time, I'll eat it.

Rock - It IS tasty! Picked the meat up from the butcher last night. Trying to make time this week to cook up the tenderloins, but with all the Thanksgiving festivities it might be the weekend before I get to them.

I have shotgun hunted in the past, but bow hunting is certainly more rewarding.

Picked him up at the butchers last night and netted: 44 lbs. ground, 52 steaks, two 2 lb. roasts, tenderloins & 5 lbs. of jerky. If you take out the 8 lbs. of pork cut into the ground meat I netted about 85 lbs. of meat from this deer. It will feed our family for the next 6 months easily including giving away about 10 lbs or so to friends and family.

Visited the taxidermist. He has won awards domestically and internationally for his work and is the only taxidermist in the area that Bass Pro or Cabela's refers to people. It's going to run me about $475 for the mount, but I cant pass up getting this one mounted being the beauty that he is and the fact that he is my first deer with a bow.

rockdawg21
11-23-2009, 05:50 PM
While we're on that note:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/149674

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh:

Blade
11-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Don't agree with you, you don't agree with me, pointless to carry on arguing so happy hunting The End.

RG8144
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
While we're on that note:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/149674

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh:

:laugh: Pretty funny!

Don't agree with you, you don't agree with me, pointless to carry on arguing so happy hunting The End.

Sounds like a good plan. I dont think anyone was arguing. I was wondering though why someone who was opposed to hunting would wander into a thread titled "My Archery 10 Point Buck..." :rolleyes: It's all good. The End.

Crisco
11-23-2009, 09:11 PM
:laugh: Pretty funny!

Sounds like a good plan. I dont think anyone was arguing. I was wondering though why someone who was opposed to hunting would wander into a thread titled "My Archery 10 Point Buck..." :rolleyes: It's all good. The End.

Troll job ;)

It's kind of hard to condemn people for hunting when you eat meat and wear clothes made from animals. That is just my two cents.

I've never seen people so happy to be hypocrits then the anti-hunting movement.

rockdawg21
11-23-2009, 09:28 PM
It's a piece of growth-hormone injected, steroid infested meat. It's going to make your balls shrink and probably kill you when you reach your early 90s. My best advice is to just stay away from it and give it to me.

Blade
11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Troll job ;)

It's kind of hard to condemn people for hunting when you eat meat and wear clothes made from animals. That is just my two cents.

Yeah actually I'm condemning the silly stories on here that brag about killing something and also lame photos of guys with weird expressions on their faces posing with dead animals. Most of them look like they should be locked up. Oh, and also sticking bits of those dead animals on the walls of their living rooms is also gross. Hunting for food is fair enough in one sense but from what I've seen on here it's done with little or no respect. And claims that you are doing nature a favour by hunting are also lame. You're doing your freezer and your stomach a favour, and maybe your wallet, but you ain't doing nature a favour. Nature is perfectly capable of looking after itself, it doesn't need a bunch of hicks in charge of it.

Thank God I'm English.

rearnakedchoke
11-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah actually I'm condemning the silly stories on here that brag about killing something and also lame photos of guys with weird expressions on their faces posing with dead animals. Most of them look like they should be locked up. Oh, and also sticking bits of those dead animals on the walls of their living rooms is also gross. Hunting for food is fair enough in one sense but from what I've seen on here it's done with little or no respect. And claims that you are doing nature a favour by hunting are also lame. You're doing your freezer and your stomach a favour, and maybe your wallet, but you ain't doing nature a favour. Nature is perfectly capable of looking after itself, it doesn't need a bunch of hicks in charge of it.

Thank God I'm English.

yeah, cuz the english have never done fox hunts ... but no sense in explaining to a hypocrite

Blade
11-23-2009, 11:07 PM
yeah, cuz the english have never done fox hunts ... but no sense in explaining to a hypocrite

Yeah I'm not one of those posh bastards thank you very much, foxhunters need shooting aswell.

Chuck
11-23-2009, 11:40 PM

Thank God I'm English.

That's just not true my friend... it may be in undeveloped places like the Amazon or the plains of Africa but certainly not in most civilized places. Nature is capable of taking care of itself when we don't interfere but the problem is we already have... so now it takes constant management to keep things balanced.

Neezar
11-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Troll job ;)

That isn't a very good argument. Now, if Blade was sporting the new Deer fur around London or eating Mac Deer Steaks then that might be a decent argument. Or if those kills made it to the meat market or clothing stores. But they don't. Eating meat or wearing clothes out of a supply and demand market has nothing to do with the sport of hunting. It is about the thrill of the kill. Period.

If you are losing crops because of deer and hunt the area around it then you can claim necessity. If you can't afford to buy meat and you kill as needed then you can claim necessity. If you have nowhere to live and need hide for a teepee then you can claim necessity. :laugh: Otherwise, if you can't justify your hunting as a necessity then it is the thrill of the kill. Period. And eating meat or wearing clothes made from animals have NOTHING to do with wanting to go out and personally get a kill.

RG8144
11-24-2009, 12:17 AM

Thank God I'm English.

Yeah, thank God you ARE English. America has ENOUGH people whining during their steakburger dinner about the inhumanity of hunting.

I thought you were done? I do hunt primarily for food. My family has 80+ lbs. of meat for the next 6 months at least. It is cheaper and healthier. It will also benefit several families we know who could use a helping hand. Heck I even plan to kill another deer or two this season to give away to many people I know in need. Believe me, the state of IL will not be missing a few deer, but they could make a world of difference to people I know who have young mouths to feed and little to no income right now. Or I suppose I could just give those families money to go buy beef that was killed humanely (pshhh) and out of sight before it was butchered and delivered to their local market.

Yes, I am also getting the head mounted to hang on the wall in my den. I could care less what you think. You live thousands of miles away in a different country for crying out loud. I suppose I cannot expect you to understand. I simply say you better not be grilling up any steaks, eating any burgers or cooking any chicken for any of your meals. Unless you are a strict vegan then your arguments for not hunting break down VERY quickly. If you want to continue discussing/arguing about it though why don't you start a seperate thread. It will be fun to come there and watch you get owned. :laugh:

This thread was meant for those who would appreciate it. It was not intended to be a debate thread.

Just to cap things off...and I suppose provide more fodder for Blades foolishness and personal attacks on hunters...here are some pics my buddy just sent me! Much better than the one I snapped with my phone cam and had posted before:

Blade
11-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Yeah, thank God you ARE English. America has ENOUGH people whining during their steakburger dinner about the inhumanity of hunting.

I thought you were done? I do hunt primarily for food. My family has 80+ lbs. of meat for the next 6 months at least. It is cheaper and healthier. It will also benefit several families we know who could use a helping hand. Heck I even plan to kill another deer or two this season to give away to many people I know in need. Believe me, the state of IL will not be missing a few deer, but they could make a world of difference to people I know who have young mouths to feed and little to no income right now. Or I suppose I could just give those families money to go buy beef that was killed humanely (pshhh) and out of sight before it was butchered and delivered to their local market.

Yes, I am also getting the head mounted to hang on the wall in my den. I could care less what you think. You live thousands of miles away in a different country for crying out loud. I suppose I cannot expect you to understand. I simply say you better not be grilling up any steaks, eating any burgers or cooking any chicken for any of your meals. Unless you are a strict vegan then your arguments for not hunting break down VERY quickly. If you want to continue discussing/arguing about it though why don't you start a seperate thread. It will be fun to come there and watch you get owned. :laugh:

This thread was meant for those who would appreciate it. It was not intended to be a debate thread.

Just to cap things off...and I suppose provide more fodder for Blades foolishness and personal attacks on hunters...here are some pics my buddy just sent me! Much better than the one I snapped with my phone cam and had posted before:

Is it me or does the deer always look the more intelligent one in these kind of pics?

For responses to your other points see Neezar's post.

RG8144
11-24-2009, 01:18 AM
According to Neezar I'm in the clear. The farmer whose property we hunt wants fewer deer and asks us to hunt there. Not that I feel the need to appease Neezar. Haha. I like hunting for many reasons, you don't. I'm not sure why you are turning this into a personal attack on peoples intelligence and character Blade??? I think somewhere back there you said you were done??? Perhaps you should man up, stick to your word and really let your last post be "The End.". I will at least give you the benefit of the doubt that you have sone personal integrity and will truly make your last post The End. I know I'm done responding to this element of the hunting discussion

Mac
11-24-2009, 01:47 AM
According to Neezar I'm in the clear. The farmer whose property we hunt wants fewer deer and asks us to hunt there. Not that I feel the need to appease Neezar. Haha. I like hunting for many reasons, you don't. I'm not sure why you are turning this into a personal attack on peoples intelligence and character Blade??? I think somewhere back there you said you were done??? Perhaps you should man up, stick to your word and really let your last post be "The End.". I will at least give you the benefit of the doubt that you have sone personal integrity and will truly make your last post The End. I know I'm done responding to this element of the hunting discussion

Dont try to argue with them rg , its easy to tell that rational thinking is not in thier arsenal . Leave it at that.

Neezar
11-24-2009, 02:03 AM
According to Neezar I'm in the clear. The farmer whose property we hunt wants fewer deer and asks us to hunt there. And that is what I live for, to appease Neezar. ....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q38/nurserachetm/Emotes/2410_batting_eyelashes.gif

RG8144
11-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Hey Mac! Did you get a good amount of meat out of your deer?

Neezar
11-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Dont try to argue with them rg , its easy to tell that rational thinking is not in thier arsenal . Leave it at that.

Rational thinking? I thought were going for logical in this thread! :doh: Silly me!

You can rationalize hunting any way you want. But using the meat or fur market to justify your reasoning just isn't a logical explanation. Call it what it is: a sport.

ps Don't misunderstand my posts here. I am not bashing hunters. All the men in my family have, do and will hunt. But they aren't going to try to justify it with baseless reasoning. Just man up and call it what it is. It is perfectly exceptable to just tell the truth. Here a few to pick from that can't be argued with:

I enjoy hunting.
It is a family tradition.
It provides me time with other males for bonding.
I do it for the thrill or the rush.
As long as it is legal I will keep doing it.
It is something that only a hunter understands.
Etc.

Just don't insult other's intelligence by actually trying to use the argument that you are doing it to help nature, providing food (when you can buy them a bag of pintos, lol), or that people are hypocrites when they want to buy meat that someone else has already killed instead of literally going for the kill yourself.

lol

The end result may be some of those things listed (help nature, provide food, etc) but the choice is yours. Key word is choice; there is a choice.

Neezar
11-24-2009, 02:20 AM
Hey Mac! Did you get a good amount of meat out of your deer?

He is gone. He is googling a response to my post. :laugh:

Mac
11-24-2009, 02:36 AM
He is gone. He is googling a response to my post. :laugh:

Nope , your to hard headed , wont argue . I have my reasons .

Neezar
11-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Nope , your to hard headed , wont argue . I have my reasons .

:sad: Well you are no fun at all.

Mac
11-24-2009, 02:45 AM

Rational thinking? I thought were going for logical in this thread! :doh: Silly me!

You can rationalize hunting any way you want. But using the meat or fur market to justify your reasoning just isn't a logical explanation. Call it what it is: a sport.

ps Don't misunderstand my posts here. I am not bashing hunters. All the men in my family have, do and will hunt. But they aren't going to try to justify it with baseless reasoning. Just man up and call it what it is. It is perfectly exceptable to just tell the truth. Here a few to pick from that can't be argued with:

I enjoy hunting.
It is a family tradition.
It provides me time with other males for bonding.
I do it for the thrill or the rush.
As long as it is legal I will keep doing it.
It is something that only a hunter understands.
Etc.

Just don't insult other's intelligence by actually trying to use the argument that you are doing it to help nature, providing food (when you can buy them a bag of pintos, lol), or that people are hypocrites when they want to buy meat that someone else has already killed instead of literally going for the kill yourself.

lol

The end result may be some of those things listed (help nature, provide food, etc) but the choice is yours. Key word is choice; there is a choice.

Deer heards are already out of control . Thats why states year in and year out relax the laws on deer hutning and start issuing more tags. I can drive you through a state park not 15 minutes from my house where hunting is barely allowed at all , they finally had to start having a lottery to select a few hunters to harvest deer out because the inbreeding is SOOOO BAD . Those deer have stunted growth , birth defects etc. My cousin Wes shot a deer that had a bottom jaw that was about 3 inches shorter than the top jaw, which the wildlife experts will tell you is a sign of inbreeding and to many deer in the area.

Stop hunters , espeically deer for one year and watch what happens to your auto insurance........ It will SKYROCKET! to cover the costs of deer / vehicle collisions . Hunting is done for so many reasons i dont have time to cover them all and all the benefits that come with them .

But to be short and to the point .

I love it . im doing good things with it , its my god given right and every man was born to do it . Those who dont are losing touch with manhood in my eyes. Its back to the basics of providing food for your family without waiting in line at a walmart grocery isle. It prepares you for other things as well . It ensures that in the worst of times , my family will eat . See what happens when it all melts down and there is nothing on the grocery store shelves , it doesnt bother me , my freezer is thousands of acres out my back door and i have the tools and the know how and the SKILL to take care of me and mine.

Neezar
11-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Deer heards are already out of control . Thats why states year in and year out relax the laws on deer hutning and start issuing more tags. I can drive you through a state park not 15 minutes from my house where hunting is barely allowed at all , they finally had to start having a lottery to select a few hunters to harvest deer out because the inbreeding is SOOOO BAD . Those deer have stunted growth , birth defects etc. My cousin Wes shot a deer that had a bottom jaw that was about 3 inches shorter than the top jaw, which the wildlife experts will tell you is a sign of inbreeding and to many deer in the area.

Did he mount it? :huh: Did he have the ingraving say 'Inbreed'?

Mac
11-24-2009, 02:50 AM
and as far as blade is concerned . gimmie a break , he may be a male by birth but by the way he talks on here i figure hes about 3 martinis away from ................ ehh you figure it out .

Neezar
11-24-2009, 02:51 AM
I love it . im doing good things with it , its my god given right and every man was born to do it . Those who dont are losing touch with manhood in my eyes. Its back to the basics of providing food for your family without waiting in line at a walmart grocery isle. It prepares you for other things as well . It ensures that in the worst of times , my family will eat . See what happens when it all melts down and there is nothing on the grocery store shelves , it doesnt bother me , my freezer is thousands of acres out my back door and i have the tools and the know how and the SKILL to take care of me and mine.

That is what I am talking about! No excuses! Just do it!

MattHughesRocks
11-24-2009, 02:51 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::happy0198:

Did he mount it? :huh: Did he have the ingraving say 'Inbreed'?

Mac
11-24-2009, 02:56 AM
That is what I am talking about! No excuses! Just do it!

NONONO . you said dont justify it by saying your doing it for nature .

You said that , your words , not mine .

Hunting is the first line of wildlife conservation .

Populations need to be kept in check , citys are growing , people are spreading , the areas these animals once called home are shrinking and our areas are expanding . If the heards are not kept in check there will be problems . There are already stories of coyotes grabbing family pets and even children from yards . Deer accidents are a huge problem . There are over 400,000 or so deer harvested out of the state of illinois each year . Take hunters out of the picture for one year and those 400,000 deer breed and the following year there are huge impacts. Crops are destroyed , car accidents would hit an all time high . The general health of the animals will fall dramatically.

Neezar
11-24-2009, 03:00 AM
NONONO . you said dont justify it by saying your doing it for nature .

You said that , your words , not mine .

Hunting is the first line of wildlife conservation .

Populations need to be kept in check , citys are growing , people are spreading , the areas these animals once called home are shrinking and our areas are expanding . If the heards are not kept in check there will be problems . There are already stories of coyotes grabbing family pets and even children from yards . Deer accidents are a huge problem . There are over 400,000 or so deer harvested out of the state of illinois each year . Take hunters out of the picture for one year and those 400,000 deer breed and the following year there are huge impacts. Crops are destroyed , car accidents would hit an all time high . The general health of the animals will fall dramatically.

All of that may be true. But that isn't why you, The MacDaddy, goes out and hunts. lol. Or do you stillhave 399,999 kills to go this year? :unsure-1: Do you have a number to call and see how many are reported dead and how many your state still needs taken out?

Mac
11-24-2009, 03:06 AM
All of that may be true. But that isn't why you, The MacDaddy, goes out and hunts. lol. Or do you stillhave 399,999 kills to go this year? :unsure-1: Do you have a number to call and see how many are reported dead and how many your state still needs taken out?

Each year the state goes county by county and looks at the numbers , that is when it is decided how many tags will be issued for each county and how many deer need to be taken from that county to ensure a healthy deer heard and managable population. Then each person that wishes to harvest a deer sends in for a permit and they are entered into a lottery . Not everyone gets a permit . like i said , there is a certain amount alloted for each county based on that countys statistics.

After the season is over the state will release the information on how many deer where taken statewide and county by county with both archery and gun permits. That will then help them adjust the numbers of permits issued for next year . If there were not enough deer taken this year then they will issue a few more permits next year.

I feel this is going to be a low numbers year for many states. Due to the recent heavy rains alot of the crops are still in the field , therefore providing thousands upon thousands of acres of extra cover for the deer . they will use standing cornfields as cover and stay in them all day and only come out at night and be back in them by morning . From what i am hearing the numbers are going to be low .

Therefor , not matter if you say you are or are not . the way it is set up you are taking part in population control for the state , whether you like it or not .

Mac
11-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Ok , i was way off on my totals taken .

Last year there were 105,595 durring both gun seasons and archery. So not nearly as many as i thought .

Neezar
11-24-2009, 03:39 AM

:ashamed: Sorry. But it is really all Mac's fault.

And I do appreciate your fodder....Oh! And your pics. :)

Mac
11-24-2009, 03:41 AM

You should have asked me Neesy , i would have gotten you some ice cream to go with that humble pie .

HA HA HA HA HA

Neezar
11-24-2009, 03:45 AM
You should have asked me Neesy , i would have gotten you some ice cream to go with that humble pie .

HA HA HA HA HA

I wasn't impressed much by your win so don't go all Roy Nelson on me and be patting yourself on the back.

Blade
11-24-2009, 09:43 AM
and as far as blade is concerned . gimmie a break , he may be a male by birth but by the way he talks on here i figure hes about 3 martinis away from ................ ehh you figure it out .

Drinking Martini never did James Bond any harm.

rearnakedchoke
11-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Drinking Martini never did James Bond any harm.

well, considering james bond is a fictional character, i guess it wouldn't ...

RG8144
11-24-2009, 02:21 PM

:laugh::laugh: Thanks, glad you like the pics. At least you seem to have a balanced opinion on the topic and know close relatives that hunt. The only point I differ with you on is the concept that all hunters hunt simply for "the thrill of the kill." Yes, that is part of it. However, I TRULY do hunt primarily for the food aspect. Killing the animal is PART of the end goal for me, which is having venison which my family LIKES and as a result enjoys nearly organic meat for 1/3 of the price you pay at the store. So I suppose there IS the thrill of the kill aspect as one of the reasons I hunt, but it is only a by-product of why I hunt and not the entire end-game for me. The only thing I would ask of you is to consider that you are generalizing greatly in your statements that you pin on EVERY hunter that for all of them the killing is the main reason for them participating in the "sport." I know for a fact that SOME hunters do it primarily for the thrill of the kill, but for every one of them I know 3-4 others who enjoy that aspect of it, but it is not the driving force for them.

:laugh: Yes. It's 1-800-HNTGROX

Why cant that be the reason he goes out to hunt? Every hunter plays a part. It might not be the REASON we hunt, but it is a benefit due to the effect of what would occur if the population was out of control.

Neezar
11-24-2009, 02:33 PM
:laugh::laugh: Thanks, glad you like the pics. At least you seem to have a balanced opinion on the topic and know close relatives that hunt. The only point I differ with you on is the concept that all hunters hunt simply for "the thrill of the kill." Yes, that is part of it. However, I TRULY do hunt primarily for the food aspect. Killing the animal is PART of the end goal for me, which is having venison which my family LIKES and as a result enjoys nearly organic meat for 1/3 of the price you pay at the store. So I suppose there IS the thrill of the kill aspect as one of the reasons I hunt, but it is only a by-product of why

Around here you can go up to the meat processors and buy deer meat all day long and basically for the same price of processing it. They never run out because people are steadily offering their deer for free because they don't want to pay to have it processed.

One of the local guys here tries to work them all and give as much as possible to charity. But that doesn't make him a living. Our deer population isn't that bad here so our local hunters would probaly do us a bigger favor by just going up there and buying some of his 'donated' deer. But that doesn't happen often as you can imagine. And I only bring that up at family dinners when I am in a pissy mood and want company. :laugh:

And that brings up another question. Why do people have deer processed and then work for days trying to get it to taste like beef? :huh:

*slinks backwards out the door*

Neezar
11-24-2009, 02:35 PM
:laugh: Yes. It's 1-800-HNTGROX

Why cant that be the reason he goes out to hunt? Every hunter plays a part. It might not be the REASON we hunt, but it is a benefit due to the effect of what would occur if the population was out of control.

:laugh: I am calling now!

As far as the population being out of control, if you guys would leave them alone for a couple of years then croppers could get government aid to rid them of the herds of deer and you guys might could actually get paid to hunt them! :happydancing:

Imagine being able to do that for a living, working at a job that you actually love!

RG8144
11-24-2009, 03:00 PM
And that brings up another question. Why do people have deer processed and then work for days trying to get it to taste like beef? :huh:

*slinks backwards out the door*

I dont know. If thats what they wanted then they should just buy beef. We dont mind the gamey flavor, but I will use some of the tips or tricks to cut back on it at times. I have never thought to myself "man, I hope this tastes like beef cow." It's nice lean meat, so it's never going to taste like cow, which is fattier, no matter how hard one tries. Though most cows would also taste much gamier if they at a natural diet instead of the force fed hormone/steroid infused food they get at the beef processing centers and farms.

:laugh: I am calling now!

As far as the population being out of control, if you guys would leave them alone for a couple of years then croppers could get government aid to rid them of the herds of deer and you guys might could actually get paid to hunt them! :happydancing:

Imagine being able to do that for a living, working at a job that you actually love!

It's called working for DNR. I have a family friend whose job at certain times of the year is to hunt, day in and day out. The deer population in areas is so bad and so many of them are injured or deformed that they have a whole eradication team that is part of DNR that will go "thin the herd" in trouble areas. Chronic Wasting Disease is also something they test for and though it exists in most counties in IL the DNR eradication guys will go out and thin the herd in counties that are especially bad.

Chronic Wasting Disease if left unchecked will create zombie deer. No one would want that now would they? Just another good reason to hunt. Zombie Deer.

Neezar
11-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Chronic Wasting Disease if left unchecked will create zombie deer. No one would want that now would they? Just another good reason to hunt. Zombie Deer.

:scared0015:

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=6561,filename=zombie_20deer.jpg

No, for real though, I HATE Zombie Deer. :unsure:

Neezar
11-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I dont know. If thats what they wanted then they should just buy beef. We dont mind the gamey flavor, but I will use some of the tips or tricks to cut back on it at times. I have never thought to myself "man, I hope this tastes like beef cow." It's nice lean meat, so it's never going to taste like cow, which is fattier, no matter how hard one tries. Though most cows would also taste much gamier if they at a natural diet instead of the force fed hormone/steroid infused food they get at the beef processing centers and farms.

You seem pretty level headed, even tempered, easy on the eyes, and a good sense of humor! I hope you stick around. We need more of your kind around here. :laugh: