PDA

View Full Version : BOOMER TALE: A WEEK IN HILLSBORO

Boomer
11-18-2009, 10:01 PM
HAIL HAIL FORUM OF FORUMS BOOMERS GOT A TALE TO TELL!!

I’m back at work fresh off from two weeks of vacation from my stint in yonder land and it’s too bad life can’t be like those two weeks all the time. This might be a long Tale so I’m sure some of you just might skim through (cough Michelle) but after a week with the Country Sage I’ve got some good stories that I know you guys will enjoy and these tales have somewhat turned into an online journal for me that you all get to add your two cents worth.

To start I give Nate a call the Sunday before I left to make sure that he wasn’t going to be out every night I was there and I would get to see him some. He told me that it had been raining 4 weeks solid and that the entire crop was still in the ground and if it was sunny outside he’d be in the fields working with Mark. I told him of course I understood but hoped I could see him some because I was going to bring the Sun with me! :wink:

I started off Monday morning on my 12.5 hour drive to Illinois. Those of you I talked with in PMs and e-mails and Txt when I was in Afghanistan know that I was really hoping that I would get to see Fall in full force because its my favorite time of the year. Well I did. Driving though Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois I saw just about every color the good lord has made to go on trees. Plus .. again I was in my new Camaro with the Sunroof open and windows down, so that made it more enjoyable. I got asked about my car at both of the toll booths in West Virginia and when I stopped at a McDonalds I was getting back in my car and had about 5 teenage guys come up around the car in Kentucky . At first I didn’t know what was up so I had my rape whistle out, :ninja: but then I saw they were looking at the car so I rolled down the windows and one of the guys immediately popped his head in …

“Spin the tires! Spin the tires!” He exclaimed.

His head was half way in the car looking around and then noticed it was an automatic. The look of disgust shamed me a little …. :dry:

“Man .. its an auto … why the heck did you do that buddy?”

“Well partner, honestly I’m really not a hot rod guy … I just really like the look and feel of old cars so when I saw this I just had to have it. I travel a bunch too, so this is just more practical.”

At this time he is looking at me with one eye brow raised and I’m thinking I just talked about practicality to a teenager as I sit in a sports car.

“Well Mr you can still spin the tires with an auto .. want me to show you how?”

Honestly I gave this a second thought …. But the 34 year old in me caught up with the 18 year old thoughts that were creeping up and I politely declined and was off on my way.

Matt gave me a ring to see my ETA cause I was staying with them and I told him I’d probably be in round 7:30. Traffic around Louisville put me a little behind schedule but I was pulling up into the drive round 8:15.

Matt answers the door and says, “If you take your shoes off you’ll make my wife happy.” So plop .. off they come and I follow Matt into the Kitchen. Audra was in there with another gentleman and makes some introductions. They were just wrapping up some talk on a house they might be interested in. Once he left we shuffled some cars around so I’m not blocking Matt as he gets up at zero dark thirty to go hunting and Matt asks me if I want to go out and about because the all were going to turn in. I was actually pretty worn out from the trip so I said if they didn’t mind that I would just turn in too. Little Hanna, who is one the most alert and articulate three year olds I have ever met, was in the living room playing and Matt introduces me and calls out to Joey in the back room, “Joey Come out and meet Boomer, do you remember Boomer?”

Joey, “Yeah I remember him, he’s the one from the hunting show?”

matt says back, “No that’s not him.”

I chuckle. I can only image the amount of people that are in and out of matt’s life and how often matt’s family gets introduce to someone in relation to his work or hobbies. matt walks me down to the basement, Hanna close to follow who insists on turning on all the light switches along the way. He brings me a pillow and some blankets and asks if I want to take a shower. I say yes and he smiles and says, “That will make Audra happy. Also if you wanna throw those close in the wash upstairs.”

“Sure thing.” Audra is pregnant and totally understood the whole germ thing. It’s something that matt likes to give Audra a hard time about but it’s something that has to be considered and not ignored for sure. I take a shower and head downstairs with Hanna closely following behind talking to me like I had known her her entire life. I loved it. . Once we got down stairs we played with her kitchen set a little and when it was time for her to go to bed the test of wills began. Spirited and strong willed Hanna is …. Haha. She led me upstairs to where the washer was and I dropped my clothes in, then she followed me back down stairs and tucked me in and told me a bedtime story. The contrast of this with me living in a tent surrounded by concrete and machine gun towers is something to boggle the mind but I tell you I slept better that night than I have in a loooong time.

The next morning I wake up and knew that Matt was going to go out hunting and I didn’t hear him up stairs. I wasn’t sure how comfortable the rest of his family would be with me without him there so I turn on the TV in the basement and low and behold … and old timey western was on. I get lost in the old flick and really wasn’t sure what time it was because my cell phone had died and I had left the charger in my car. After the show I head on upstairs and Audra is in the den and says hello and that there are cinnamon rolls on the counter. I sit down next to Hanna and Audra comes in and asks what I would like to drink and I ask for some water. We start chatting a bit, Hanna also in the conversation and Joey at the counter with us and Matt walks in and smiles.

“Man Boomer, it’s like this was your family or something .. everyone up eating breakfast all gathered around you.” I laugh and continue to stuff my face with cinnamon rolls as they just go about there normal morning routine and treat me like I had just always been there and been apart of it. Hanna also has renamed me. It seems Boomer was a bit too plan for her, so now I am affectionately called BoomTown. :laugh: I go with matt to take Hanna to pre-school and I have to say God bless small town America. Walking in I saw like three or four really pretty gals carrying baby carriages that looked like they just stepped out of a cover shot from Vogue. matt was talking to one of them and she said she just had that baby like last week!!! My jaw dropped. Normally I’m pretty aware in situations like that, in that being in church work for a bit you really have to watch yourself and learn to see past outward appearances of people. You couldn’t honestly be there for someone who might need your help sometime in life if you allow your thoughts to just go wild and unchecked … so its very rare that you ever see me do a double take at anyone, let alone at a pre-school with moms which most likely are married. On the way out I simply ask matt, “Why haven’t I moved here yet??” and he laughs and informs me that a few of them are single! :w00t: :mischievous: :angel:

Once we get back matt asks if I had plans for lunch and I said no but was going to go try and get together with Nate this morning. I did in fact bring the sun with me so I knew he’d probably be busy with Mark. I drive over to Nate’s new place and smile when I see my old buddy coming out the front door. He takes me in and shows me around .. and then (as most of you probably have guessed) its time to go to Wal-Mart. New movies came out and Nate had to have first grabs at them. We jump in the Camero and head to the next town over. Wal-mart still didn’t have the movies Nater wanted and we were about to head back to Hillsboro when Nate gets a call from Mark. Mark asks if Nate could go pick up some batteries and cable at two different stories in Litchfield. Nate says, “I’m in Litchfield with Boomer now!” So it worked out. We pick up the batteries and the cables and start the drive back to Hillsboro. matt calls right as we start back and asks about lunch. I tell him where we are at and make plans for me to meet them in town to follow them to lunch after we drop off the parts to Mark on the farm.

Nate and I drop Mark off his parts and I get to chat with him for a second or two and of course get my traditional bear hug that makes me taste my liver but love it all the same. From the first time I met Mark he picks me up (like my 205 lbs is a pillow) and squeezes till I’m red for a proper hello and goodbye. Mark says that he is rolling with some guys in Litchfield that night and asks if I want to go. I had already made plans to head to the Gym in Granite City with Matt. He said that’s too bad and I agree but said I would have hated to take him to school with my sick jits skills in front of all his buddies. He laughed the “yeah right” laugh and said “Well that’s the point.” Nate and I get back in the car and I ask Nate if he wants to head over to lunch with matt and he says that he needs to get out there and help Mark and asks if I could just drop him off so he could get his car.

I eat lunch with matt and Audra and a friend of theirs and Hanna is there just as alive as ever. Earlier on matt had told me he had to go to Ohio to finish a deer hunt show for Texas Trophy Hunters. He had to leave the show early last week and needed to get back soon to get it done. I didn’t answer right away because I had also planned on going to see Mac and my grandparents while in Illinois and as much as I wanted to just say to Matt yea lets go .. I wanted to check with everyone I needed to see in this week. I called Mac and because of the rain, he was busy at work playing catch up pouring crete and the grandparents would work out better if I came over the weekend.

So, I told matt I’d go with him and we had made plans to leave the next day, but first we had the trip to the gym at 3:00 that day. (Tuesday) We drove up to the gym and as soon as we walked in the office I saw Robbie and Todd. Robbie and matt started talking and Todd was on the phone. matt asks Robbie if he remembers me and Robbie responds of course and we say our hellos. I look out the office door and see Marc Fiore I walk out to say hey and he shoots a smile my way. We talk a bit and he asks if I have some free time this weekend for a cookout at his house. I tell him our plans of driving to Ohio and not sure and he says that if I have any free time just to call him up. A week was not long enough!! :) I watch the practice and am amazed at how many fighters are in the class. I mean really from a business aspect it is amazing. Many of us were at the gym opening in FEB 08 and for it to be so packed in such a short amount of time is just amazing. They opened up with their traditional dodge ball game and then went right into class with Kyle showing a jits move to work on. matt and Robbie both were right there in the mix training right with everyone else. My interest in matt as a fighter has led to my interest for MMA in general so I snoop at different parts of the industry because, again, how I’m wired I just gotta understand how things work. I was thinking as I was watching Matt and Robbie roll with everyday folks that there are Professional MMA fighters, not even close to matt and Robbie’s caliber charging 2 to 3K to roll with them. Just once. And here they are jumping in there giving these folks knowledge and training that it would be hard to put a price on anyway .. but just for the cost of their membership. I know that that is not always possible with matt and Robbie, but I got to see it that day. Good stuff.

On the way back matt tells me we are going to take off tonight for Ohio, which I am fine with and need to stop by the farm to pick up his dads car for the ride up. It was a smooth ride in that machine, even without the XM radio. :) We leave after the kids go to bed and Matt starts off driving. I tell Matt that I love driving and we can go the whole 6 hours if he wants and he laughs and says we’ll see, but would probably just get a hotel. On the drive up Matt says, “Ok I want to hear the Boomer story. From your first memory on.”

I give a few seconds though as to where to start and what actually to say. Connecting the events and decision you’ve made to make you who you are is not something that is always an easy talk. So how did I get to be the guy on his forum mostly posting in foreign countries? How deep would I get, or how much should I really tell. Finally I just shrugged all that off and just started talking. I think I talked for an hour and a half (yes .. poor Matt) as he drove the first leg of the trip, Matt stopping me every once in awhile to ask me to clarify some point in my story that a had rushed through. When I got all the way up to the point in my life that I became an MMA fan, (UFC 52) I enjoyed telling him about that the most. I mean, matt really was the reason I got into MMA as a whole and if he wouldn’t have gotten kicked in the junk, and if the ref would have stopped the fight for matt to recover and if everything would have gone right .. I would have never looked matt up and probably would have never really followed MMA past that point. It was matt overcoming that injustice and winning the way he did that caused me to look into who this guy was. If you would have told me then that I would be staying in his basement or riding with him to a hunt five years later I would have told you you were on crack. But here I was.

We pulled over to get some gas and it was my turn to drive. I wanted Matt to sleep because he wanted to get up really early tomorrow to get to the hunt and kill out so he could get back to his family and I really think I probably exhausted him with all my chatter. He looked something like :scared0015: :scared0015: . I drove for about four hours and then Matt woke up and said we should probably get a hotel at the next stop. We pulled over and got a hotel and crashed until the next morning.

Once we woke up, we turned the TV on and started watching JAWS. I had forgotten much about that movie and ended up watching the entire show. I only really jumped once. There is a part where a diver was checking out a boat that had been mauled by the shark and he is by a hole in the bottom of the boat and a head rolls out. As first it looked like the shark and I thought the man was going to get chomped and jumped up … :ninja:

After JAWS we get in the car and head the rest of the way. At one point I was trying to look up the phone number for the place we were going on my IPHONE and I get the website up and Im trying to read the number on the site but its really small. My nose is touching the IPHONE as I’m trying to read the number. I tell Matt I can’t really read it because of how small it is and he holds his hand out and I give him the phone. In two seconds he wipes his fingers across the screen and BAM!! Its big enough to read. :scared0011: Matt got a laugh out of my expression because I was amazed at that and asked him how he did that??? He said, “Are you serious? You don’t know?” I told him I just got it and didn’t know. He showed me and I felt really stupid. The country sage strikes again … :dry:

Boy this has turned out really long. I still have the Hunt in Ohio, Picking up the restored truck and it breaking down on me in the highway, Traveling to Macs and my bow injury, The deer search for the largest deer matt had ever shot, the ride with Mark in the combine and the cookout watching the Fedor fight …… but it is LATE and I gotta get to work tomorrow. I’ll have to have a part two.

TexasRN
11-18-2009, 10:13 PM
BoomTown, man you sure know how to have a good time.....:laugh:

~Amy

Crisco
11-18-2009, 10:15 PM
AWESOME BOOMER. Read it from top to bottom can't wait for the next one,

Can' wait to hang again soon.

Neezar
11-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Good story as usual! :cool:

Llamafighter
11-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Awesome tale so far, buddy! Keep it coming. That sounds like a much deserved trip for you. You are definitely a "Boomtown". LOL :laugh:

TENNESSEAN
11-18-2009, 11:14 PM
WAKE UP BOOM TOWN!!!! I'm ready for part two. :)

MattHughesRocks
11-18-2009, 11:23 PM
What did it say?! :w00t:

Can you just call me with the highlights later? :Whistle:

VCURamFan
11-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Awesome stuff, BoomTown!

Mac
11-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Great start Buddy!!

County Mike
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Cool story. Still regret not meeting you in NY. Hopefully another chance will come up soon.

Boomer
11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks gang .. Ill work on getting the second part up. :laugh:

What did it say?! :w00t:

Can you just call me with the highlights later? :Whistle:

:laugh: Sure ..

Cool story. Still regret not meeting you in NY. Hopefully another chance will come up soon.

Yea that would have been nice to see yea Mike, but it will happen buddy.

Blmfighter
11-19-2009, 02:18 PM
This is great, I love your write ups. If I know you were in IL last week I would have set up some time to catch up with you. Next time you come to IL we have to catch up!!!!

Jessi
11-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Great Story! Just what I needed to get through my boring morning.

MattHughesRocks
11-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Done! :happydancing:

TexasRN
11-19-2009, 07:58 PM

You read the whole thing? Wow. :tongue0011:

~Amy

VCURamFan
11-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Holy crap, this has got to be a first!!:scared0015:

MattHughesRocks
11-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Not true. I once read one of Dave's posts :blink:

:laugh:

Holy crap, this has got to be a first!!:scared0015:

Tyburn
11-19-2009, 10:29 PM
come along Boomer, we're waiting for the conclusion.

plus...I do wish you hadnt edited that hour and a half car chat to a single sentance :ninja:

Silverback
11-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Hello Boomer, great story I know what you mean by how these guy's treat you like family, I have been lucky enough to become friends with Mark, Emily, Marshall, Griffen, and lovely Lola,(My son's and I are some of the guy's he roll's with in Litchfield on Tues. night's) These guy's are good people and would do anything for you and in the times that we live in that is rare. So I will be waiting on the edge of my seat for part 2 so get to writing. By the way thank you for your service to this country it means alot to my son's and me.

VCURamFan
11-20-2009, 07:06 PM
BoomTown, what's taking you so long, man? Let's here b'out the hunting trip & everything else.

Jeez, you take any longer to post a story/pics & Michelle's gonna start thinking I'm in charge of writing it all!:scared0011:

TENNESSEAN
11-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Boomtowns a tease.
Arms folded foot tapping

MattHughesRocks
11-21-2009, 03:25 AM
I already talked to him on the phone...know aaaaalllllll about it.You suckers are just going to have to wait :tongue0011:

BoomTown, what's taking you so long, man? Let's here b'out the hunting trip & everything else.

Jeez, you take any longer to post a story/pics & Michelle's gonna start thinking I'm in charge of writing it all!:scared0011:

VCURamFan
11-21-2009, 03:31 AM
I already talked to him on the phone...know aaaaalllllll about it.You suckers are just going to have to wait :tongue0011:
O, y'all just suck!

Boomer
11-21-2009, 05:31 AM
OK kiddos here is part two.

I was really looking forward to this trip with Matt. Besides the fact road trips with my buddies are probably my favorite thing in the world to do, Matt had told me about the staff and owners of this hunt place were some really good folks who happened to be Mennonite. I had known a few folks with that particular flavor of Christianity and was looking forward to talking with them about their way of life. The place we went to was called Stillwater Trophy Outfitters and you can check them out here. http://www.stillwatertrophyoutfitters.com/index.php

Once we arrive we are greeted and introductions are made. The family that was running the place were just really nice to be around. I met so many people that week Im having a hard time recalling all, but I believe the owners name was John and his wife Ester. Then out of the kids I think there was Melony and Bethany and Titus. Titus was the camera man. We roll in there and they serve us a banquet for lunch. During the preparation for the lunch Matt and I sat in with the gals making the food and just talked a bit about everything with Matt giving Beth a hard time about a young guy he had met last week that has started courting Bethany. After we eat Matt gets geared up and John asks if I want to ride along to get Matt out to the stand. I say sure and then he asks me if I want to watch the hunt from one of the other blinds and I politely decline. The plan was for Matt to kill out that day and we hit the road again right after so he could make Audra's doctors appointment the next day (Thursday). The last thing I would want would be for me to spook a deer or do something ignorant that would cause him to not kill out and miss that. So I do ride out there with them and see HURDS of deer in this high fence area. We get to the stand and Matt takes some footage and climbs up into the stand with the guide and camera crew closely behind. John and I take off back to the house and I say a little prayer for Matt to get a deer so we can get back. On the way back to the house I saw for the first time an albino deer. It was beautiful and I nearly screamed at John to stop and look, as if this would have been just as new to him. But... I caught myself …. this reaffirmed that I made the right decision to NOT stay out there in a blind.

Back at the house when I walked in the ladies were preparing ANOTHER meal and were singing in old madrigal style harmony old hymns. I was half tempted to rush in there and join, but decided to just listen in the other room for a bit. After they had finished I went in and talked with them for awhile then went out and sat on the front porch in a big rocking chair. The kitchen made an L around one end of the porch and as I sat the girls started singing again and I just sat and listened through the door from the porch to the kitchen. Life had finally slowed down. I could just sit and be .. or in my case just think about 20 different things instead of 100. The girls stopped singing and their conversation switched to something that excited them so I turned my ear to hear what was going on. They were about to go on a walk. They scurry out the door saying, “ Hi Mr. Boomer” and started skipping down the gravel road and again burst into song. They were so excited to go on this walk. Much of what I had been thinking about was the 9 months I had just been through. The past two years I've been to Iraq, this year Afghanistan and I was asking myself for what? With everything I've seen and done these past few years … I lost any sense of worth in it. There are multiple reasons why .. and thats a tale in itself … but as I looked at these young women so happy in life at something so simple as a walk … it choked me up a bit. That's the worth. If it was two weeks ago and I was still in Afghanistan, there would be no walking or singing of this sort. Fear of land mines, IEDs, kidnapping, tribal feuds and the like would have kept these girls out of the streets in fear for their lives. I needed comfort food so I went in and grabbed a hand full of home made cookies they put out and filled up a big coffee mug with some joe. Then went back out on the porch and just sat some more.

Once the gals returned from their walk, they went in the kitchen to finish up dinner and I followed them in to talk some more. Bout 15 mins later Matt and crew walk back in so I walk in the other room to where Matt is taking off his hunting gear and I come up behind him and give him a slight jab in the side to get his attention. He looks up with a disappointed smile. I ask, “Any joy brother?” Matt says, 'Well I didn't see anything I could shoot.”

“Oh too small?” I ask
“No too big … “

The way that this works is that they charge you by the size of deer you kill. Because of the show Matt got to kill a certain size but if he went over that size he'd have to pay for it. The one he saw would have cost him about 20K I think it was. I am quite certain that Matt would have just shot the deer, packed up , paid the guy and got home to be with Audra for her docs appoint for the baby … buuuuttt he was also probably thinking about having to tell Audra, “Hey I'm here for your appointment and it only cost us 20 grand!”

We stayed the night.

I slept pretty well there, but got woken up at about 300am from a set of dual alarms down the hall that had been set by previous guest. It was a woman fire and brim stone preacher on the radio and for a few mins I thought it was the folks that ran the place having some sort of exorcism down stairs. I get up and use the bathroom and when I come back out Matt asks me what that is. I tell him im not sure but I'll go check it out and walk down the hall .. and find the alarms. I really didn't go to sleep again after that. Don't think Matt did either. Matt headed back out at 5:30am and comes back a few hours later with a beauty of a buck. You can see a picture of it on their site.

We are going to eat breakfast and leave so as the gals are getting it ready and singing .. matt decides to interject … “you know Boomer here is a singer too.” He had also briefly mentioned it the night before and the girls were giddy over hearing me sing something with Matt rooting them on. So I agreed to sing something after breakfast … and I did. My voice isn't what it use to be with the Marine corps and a few wars under its belt … but I can still do ok Acapella. On the drive back I was deep in thought and at one point noticed that I had probably not said anything for a good hour or two. I look over at matt and he has his hand propping his chin just looking out the window. I apologize for not being a better conversationalist this trip and he simply says, “Thats ok I enjoy the scenery.” Normally I would have adjusted my mood and started talking .. but one thing bout matt is he will be honest with you. He was fine with just looking out the window and honestly I was loving just driving in my zone … so that was that.

Matt did have one treat for me on the way back. We were going to stop and pick up matts old truck he had rebuilt and he was going to let me drive it back home !!! I LOVE that truck and he knew that .. so he called the guy to see if it was ready. It was so we stopped by to pick it up. This truck is a power house. I loved driving it but at one point bout 10 miles down the road I started just slowing down ….. no matter how much I pushed the gas in. I start to pull over and matt who is in front of me does the same .. then I get juice back so I pull back onto the highway and matt gives me a call. I fill him in, hang up and it does it again. I pull over all the way to a stop. Matt calls and again I fill him in and we try and get back on the road. I had it FLOORed and the truck would only go 40 miles an hour. We pull into a rest area and call the shop guys to come and get it … wasn't quite ready yet. BUT I got to drive it!!!!!!! I love that truck!

Im going to have to have a part three gang … its late again and as usually Im juggling 5 different things at once.

Til then … nite!!

Boom

MattHughesRocks
11-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Ding ding done!:happydancing:

3dlee
11-21-2009, 07:04 AM
great job on this one. you are one lucky man to spend time with the champ like that. keep it up boomer!

CHITOWNHUGHESFAN
11-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Part 1
Boomer you spell your damn car wrong again. Im taking away from ya:laugh: lol . Its CAMARO!!Oh and next time a someone comments on your Camaro being a auto and lifts a eyebrow. Tell them you wanted it that way. Do to all the horsepower you plan on putting into later. You dont want to be wasting money on clutches later. You might get a high five for that comment:).
Love me some Boomer Tales.

Neezar
11-21-2009, 12:27 PM
:happydancing:

Bonnie
11-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Okay, Boom, it's a new day. I'm ready for Part 3. :w00t:

Silverback
11-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Come on Boomer give it up.

VCURamFan
11-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Great update, BoomTown! Can't wait for Part 3!!

TENNESSEAN
11-21-2009, 08:34 PM
$20k for a deer. I'm lookin in to stating a deer farm.

Chuck
11-22-2009, 02:58 AM
$20k for a deer. I'm lookin in to stating a deer farm.

Could that have been a typo????:unsure-1:

Mac
11-22-2009, 04:37 AM

Nope not a typo .

Ive got pics of a deer a man paid $35,000 to shoot down here in sothern ilinois .

Plum Rediculous.

TENNESSEAN
11-22-2009, 04:43 AM

Oh! I ment to say sfarting a deer farm.
Unless u ment the 20k was a typo. He typed it twice so I don't think it was.

TENNESSEAN
11-22-2009, 04:48 AM
Nope not a typo .

Ive got pics of a deer a man paid $35,000 to shoot down here in sothern ilinois .

Plum Rediculous.

Mac you want to partner up on a deer farm?
We could host "trophy hunters university" get people to pay money to learn how to hunt and then pay big bucks$$$ to shoot our big bucks. We could ask matt to host a class.

Mac
11-22-2009, 05:49 AM
High Fence $35,000 dollar hunt.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/hunting170/00small23352790.jpg

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/pics/00small59578112.JPG

VCURamFan
11-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Here's Matt's buck, y'all:

http://www.stillwatertrophyoutfitters.com/gallery/MrMatt26.gif

TENNESSEAN
11-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Can that be counted in record books or does the high fence kick it out?

Llamafighter
11-23-2009, 05:01 AM

I haven't seen a rack like that since...:Whistle:

CAMPO
11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
great story...sounds awesome!!! good times with good people are hard to come by :) ready for part 2!

Llamafighter
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
great story...sounds awesome!!! good times with good people are hard to come by :) ready for part 2!

Hi Campo,
FYI Part 2 is there.
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3502&page=3

CAMPO
11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice!! Thanks Llamafighter :)

CAMPO
11-23-2009, 08:37 PM
yep...ready for part 3 mister! these are good :)

Chuck
11-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I haven't seen a rack like that since...:Whistle:

MHR

MattHughesRocks
11-24-2009, 03:15 AM
:rolleyes:

MHR

Boomer
11-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Ok lets push on !!!

We get back into Hillsboro a little late because of the truck ordeal and eat some supper. I go down stairs and … AMBUSH!! Joey has a pretty impressive nurf collect … actually he has a nurf arsenal and I get hit with a barrage of foam darts. Oh its on … we choose our weapons of war .. Joey fills me in on how to use the toys (you need a masters degree now days) and we continue our assault. In the end, Joey won just do to mere fire power and knowledge of the terrain. Key elements to winning any battle. But next tiiimmme. <shakes fists in air>

Half way during our campaign matt walks down stairs and tells us that he and Audra are going to make a run to Wal-Mart and asks me to come up stairs a sec. I say sure, and immediately I think that maybe something is wrong and that he is having to take Audra to the hospital or something and needs me to watch the kids. As we get to the top of the stairs matt turns around and simply says “we are going to head up to wal-mart, do you need anything?”

<sigh of relief> “No brother I think I’m good.”

“Ok we’ll be back in a little bit.”

That was it. I’m just use to not having things so simple and I was thinking for both of them to leave me with what is closest to both of their hearts there must really be something going on. But nope … I chuckled at myself a little walking back down to the basement and the fighting continued. As Joey and I were fighting for our lives, Hanna was in the midst of us making ice cream and sandwiches at her play kitchen and bringing them in for us to eat every so often. I would be crouched behind the couch peeking up just enough to see my foe when little mush would come around and insist I try the delicacy that her imagination had just cook up. I would eat some and then go about my warring. After awhile Joey and I called truce and he then showed and explained to me a Lego Star wars battle he had staged. We talked a bit about who would win the battle he had set up and the pros and cons of each team and I asked him if he put all these together himself. He said, “yea me and my dad built them.”

Pretty much everything we talked about from hunting to legos to Nintendo all came back round to matt. It’s very easy to see how involved in Joey’s life matt is. As I was thinking about this I remembered in the car ride earlier that day that matt said Joey only gets an hour of TV time a day and he was saving that to play matt in Super Mario Brothers. I wondered if I had kept that from happening with our little nurf war out break and felt a little bad about that because I knew matt was looking forward to it.

Now I have to stop here and drop some dimes on our warrior champion. Yes, he likes the out doors, yes he is never really idle, yes he can maul you over and handle you at will …. BUT he and his family have this standing rivalry in old school, first generation Super Mario Brothers …… the trash talking, the merciless banter at the slightest mistake, the stiffed backs and fixed eyes as every sunflower, mushroom or turtle getting mashed is a sight to behold. And there was no mercy … even as I took the control (its not like riding a bike) and limped my way through the first level the barrage of “Idiot” and “oh that was real good” had me anxious to perform in ways I just couldn’t. Coming in as a neutral bystander, and believe me I would want nothing more than to say matt was the champ at this too, but in all fairness I have to say that Audra takes the Hughes crown of Super Mario Brothers. She’s got sick skills son ..

Anyway when they were heading out to Wal-mart matt said that he had gotten the coveted 100 men by bouncing on the turtle a million times. Joey and I go upstairs with Hanna to rescue the princes once and for all and upon Joey’s first kill the “GAME OVER” title came up. Both our mouths dropped and Joey scream, “AHHHHHH DAD!!!” I just laughed. I though matt was pulling our leg in telling us he got all those men, put us on a hard level with one man, then left and went to wal-mart.

My two favorite toys growing up were G.I Joe and Transformers. Joey and I started talking about Transformers and he asked if I had seen the second movie. I hadn’t and his eyes lit up.

‘Well lets watch it.” I said

And off he went to fetch the film. Hanna hung with us for about 15 mins then went back down stairs to play. Wasn’t her style of movie. I would get up and check on her every 10 mins or so and she was playing with the legos we had been discussing earlier. After the first time I checked up on her I asked Joey if it was ok for her to play with those and he gave a nod, but I don’t think I quite articulated clearly what she was playing with. The next day the discovered pile of blocks that use to be a well crafted war of the ages caused some aggravation. Matt and Audra got home bout half way through the movie and it was bed time.

The next day I was going to see Mac, but in the morning he had to finish a pour so I went with matt and Hanna to the farm to scope out some sites for deer stands. Matt gave me the option of riding a four wheeler or riding with them in the bad boy. I chose the four wheeler and had a little trouble getting it going, but finally prevailed. After scoping out a few areas and him jumping on a scoop and opening up some ground for a pond to finish draining and me making a few mistakes on the four wheeler (the whole going backwards up a hill in four wheel drive had me fumbling a little) we headed back. I gave Nate a ring to see if he wanted to go to Mac’s with me and he said he was out in the fields again with Mark … so I started Mac’s way.

I arrived at Mac’s about an hour later and had a great time talking with him and his folks, which I have come to just love over these past few years. Mac’s mom was worried about me often when I was in Afghanistan and would send some love my way through Mac on the forum. After some talking about the state of the world we live in Mac and I jumped in his truck and took a drive. He showed me all the concrete work he had done throughout the city and was amazed. He can make concrete look like anything … marble, stone, brick, Michael Jackson …..its amazing. I enjoy conversation with Mac, we always seem to be eye to eye on most things. We talked about what kinda bow I need and if we could get one today or not and decided to go back to his folks house and shoot the bow a bit before we all went out to eat Mexican food that night. As we were pulling up in the drive, Mac said, “You know Boom I thought I had a truck for yea but Matt has already bought it.” Again I love classic cars and trucks and am a Chevy man so I asked Mac (being the most knowledgeable person I know on the subject) to scope out some trucks. Had to be a GMC or Chevy and I wanted a smaller one. Once we pull up Mac’s shows me the truck and I of course love it. It a small GMC … I would have looked great in. But, I was beat to the punch. ..

We shoot the bow for a bit and mac is a really good teacher. I was hitting the target every time and twice (I think, mac keep me honest) I hit the black dot I was aiming at. The bow string kept hitting me in the arm … I guess cause I am a left handed shooter and it was a right handed bow .. but had to stop when my arm was about as big as a tennis ball. Pictures speak louder than words .. so I’ll try to post one soon. Mac wanted to take me to the emergency room ….

Mac also sent a picture to Matt of my arm (who was out hunting himself) and I told him to say that I just bought his little truck. Matt’s response,

“Was that with a recurve? (talking bout my wounds) and what do you mean he bought MY truck?”

Hehe …

I had Mexican food with Mac’s clan that night and had a great and wonderful time. Becky is just a peach and Hank and Boone are growing like weeds and are just as active as ever. I let Mac drive the CamAro to and from the restaurant and on the way back Matt calls to see how things are going. When in my car and my cell phone rings the stereo systems turns into one big cell phone so when I answered matt came in surround sound. He asks when I’m heading back and I say soon and then he asks to speak to Mac. I tell him he is coming in through my car system and mac is listening in right now. He then tells Mac that he thinks he shot the biggest deer of his life and is going out to look for him that night. I gave a few ohhhs and awwwws just to feel apart of the conversation …. But I’m still pretty green in all this. I got “biggest deer” out of the convo and saw the one he shot in Ohio so I knew it had to be a monster.

Matt had put together a big cook out to happen the next day and Mac and Boone where going to come, so I was happy I’d get some more Mac time. I drive back to Hillsboro and meet up with Matt at the house. He tells me to pick out some boots in the garage that would fit me and we head to the store to get some batteries for the flashlights we were about to use. In the store matt talked deer talk with the store manager and even had another store employee hunt him down in the parking lot to show him a picture of a deer and offer to go help find his. Matt says he thinks he will have enough help and after the last person shows up we head out to the farm to track down this prize beast. There was a crew of about 7 folks geared up and as we took off I got to ride the same four wheeler I was on earlier in the day. We get to the spot and Matt pulls out an infrared scope to track the blood trail. After only about a few mins walk we find the beast collapsed under some brush. Once we examine the deer the part of the horns that made matt think he had shot the biggest deer of his hunting career turned out to be a lodged in stalk of corn. You all .. seriously … this was the nicest corn cob you ever laid your eyes on. Big thick mast, tough husk around it, big juicy crenels .. and least 18 no 20 inches long …. Man this thing is what hunters dream of. Matt in a single bow shot got the main course and a side dish too.

Once we drug the deer out all the other guys were giving matt a hard time saying that it was good for him but they probably wouldn’t have shot it referring to the size and all .. but as soon as matt left with Joey to go get the bad boy to haul the deer out, all of them started talking about how they would have totally shot that buck and it was a beauty and so on .. then after a slight pause in the convo one of them said, “But I’d never tell matt that.” And they all agreed.

When we were all set to head back out of the woods, matt asked if I wanted to ride in the back with his prize in the bad boy or take the four wheeler back … I think he was giving me an out if I couldn’t get it started again and was saving me from looking like an idiot in front of all his friends. I felt confident enough though to ride it back and told him I’d take the four wheeler again and he said ok and called for one of the other guys on a four wheeler to stay behind to make sure I got out of the woods ok. Hahah .. Once we got it back we took the deer to his father-in-laws farm to clean it and it was my first time watching a deer being gutted. It wasn’t that bad. When they took the heart out matt said,

“Too bad we don’t have a new guy here or he would have to eat part of the heart.” Then looking at me as if surprised, “oh wait .. we do have a new guy!” and he started to cut a part of the heart off.

Matt smiled at me with a slight pause like he was about to hand me a slice of heart but then threw it in the gut bucket. Later on Sunday I was in church with matt and the pastor started the sermon with a story of him standing by while two of his cousins tricked another younger cousin into eating worms … the lesson was on what tolerance was and the fact that standing by doing nothing made someone just a guilty as doing the act themselves. Anyway when the pastor was telling the story he asked the question “Was I guilty of anything as I stood there watching someone who didn’t know any better about to eat worms?” I started to lean over to matt and whisper .. “or deer hearts … would he be guilty of anything if he stood there and watched someone eat deer hearts?” But stopped myself cause there were people in front of us who could have heard.

So I am going to bring this tale to an end. Saturday morning I miss out on Hanna’s swim met to eat some breakfast with Nate and then got to go ride around the combine with Mark to help him “operate” the machine …. Haha … that’s what I say to make me feel like Im doing something, but really its just an excuse to ride around and talk with Mark. We talked a few laps around the field about little bit of everything from Afghanistan, to the church, to what kind of person I’d marry … haha … he got the half hour version of what I told matt on the way to Ohio. Probably easier to digest. Then that night matt had a huge feast at his father-in-laws farm with a few of his other buddies and I enjoyed the company and stories all of them had. PLUS the food was OUTSTANDING!! Matt made these poppers with jalapeņos, cream cheese, bacon and either deer or dove … and MAN were they good. Plus they had some roasted pork to write home about!! We were going to play some cards, but ended up watching the Fedor fight. Mac and Boone showed up with a gallon of BBQ sauce … well half gallon, the other half ended up in his floor boards. The next day as I said before, I went to church with matt and then took off for the grandparents house. After church I walked matt out to his truck before I went off to lunch with Nate and Melanie. As we were walking I was trying to come up with some words that could express how grateful I was for such a week but kept falling short. We got to his truck and he smiled and we just said goodbye, gave a quick slap on the back hug and off he drove.

Coming back this time I had a harder time readjusting to life then normal. They tell us to get out and try to establish our routines as they were before we left. Well, deploying for the past three years … I didn’t really have anything to fall back in on to pull me back to any sense on normalcy. Matt and Audra Hughes opened up their home and life to me and just let me be apart of it for a week. I guess since I didn’t really have something of my own to reground me, the good Lord snuck in what I needed unexpectantly through the Hughes family. Always observing, always analyzing, it is very uncommon for me to not be able to explain the evolution of some said event or task. But if you asked me at what point and how I went from being interested, to being a fan, to being a friend of matt hughes I couldn’t really tell you. It just happened.

This week is Thanksgiving and I pray that all of you are at a place in life where you can see some good in it. Be thankful for your family, be thankful for your friends, be thankful for this great nation we live in.

God bless

Boom

Jessi
11-24-2009, 09:56 PM
My mother in law has one of those new Camaros (she got the SS package) and the first time they brought it by for my husband and I to check out, their son Harley calls....I was never more confused in my life!!! :laugh:

Crisco
11-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Truers words never spoken boom.

Love ya brother. Have a good Holiday and God bless.

Mac
11-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Yup . It was a good time .

ANDDD for the first time ever shooting a bow Boomer did great . Actually , he did great for someone thats been shooting for 5 years. Especially considering the Bow was about as bassackwards for him as possible . The draw was to long , the pull was a little on the heavy side , its a right handed bow and he shoots left. But he had never shot one and i wanted him to atleast get a feel. The first shot he didnt really wince at all , just said " it hit my arm" then the second shot , " hit me again" He was wearing a thick coat and a sweatshirt so i figured it wasnt biting to awful bad . I looked at his arm position on the next shot and the long draw of the bow was causing his left arm to arch in towards the string. Out of i believe 4 shots , 2 were in the 10 ring and the other 2 were within an inch . So considering the obstacles he had to overcome with the equipment miss match , and popping a 1 inch group right on target of where i said to shoot at about 25 yards , He did an excellent job . I took a couple shots then offered for him to shoot again , to which he removed his coat and rolled up his sleeve . If i didnt know any better id have guessed he was trying to smuggle eggplants in his forearm , ive gotten some string slap when i first started shooting but nothing to this extent , i mean it actually looked like there was some severe tissue damage going on lol. I can see many freezing mornings , a big oak timber and a treestand in this guys future! lol.

And yeah , it was a great few days. Got a little time to hang out with a good friend , had some good food , just a great weekend all the way around.

I garuntee he was feeling that in the morning!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/uhmname/boom.jpg

TexasRN
11-24-2009, 10:47 PM

:scared0011: Boom!!!!! Don't do that again please.

~Amy

Chuck
11-24-2009, 11:27 PM
..... before I went off to lunch with Nate and Melanie.

Um.... Who's Melanie???:huh:

Bonnie
11-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Some of the nicest things in life "just happen". :)

Great tale, Boomer. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Neezar
11-25-2009, 12:48 AM
:applause:

CornStalk Deer. :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
11-25-2009, 05:33 AM
Oh well that's just unacceptable :yell:

County Mike
11-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Dang! You need one of those leather arm protectors like I see in the movies. Robin Hood, etc.

Llamafighter
11-25-2009, 01:11 PM
I think this might be one of the best tales yet, Boomer! I'm thankful to have you as a friend.
Glad you had a great time!

CAMPO
11-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Boomer...THAT.WAS.GREAT. I truly loved reading all of your "tale" - and although I don't know you...and I'm very new to this nice lil group....I can tell you are a great person, with a big heart & have many people who adore & care for you. That is awesome!
Thank you for all you've done for our country...I admire you.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

PS: how's the arm now? looks like it was painful..

Silverback
11-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Boomer, I not only thank you for a great story and again the service to this great country that we live in, and I know first hand that the Hughes boy's have a very keen way of making people they touch better, I have told people before that you do not give respect you earn it, Boomer, you and the twin brothers have earned my respect and I thank you. Good job.:punch::punch::punch:

matt hughes
11-25-2009, 02:25 PM
when you going to tell the rest BoomTown????? it seems you left some singing out of this story........

Llamafighter
11-25-2009, 02:55 PM
when you going to tell the rest BoomTown????? it seems you left some singing out of this story........

WOAH! Singing?!
Re-open the story Boomtown!:laugh::laugh:

TENNESSEAN
11-25-2009, 02:59 PM
boomtowns holding back on us!! come on buddy whats the rest of the story?

Crisco
11-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Matt dropped a dime on you boomz.

Tell it!

Silverback
11-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Leave it to Matt to keep you honest, give it up.:happydancing::happydancing::happydancing:

Boomer
11-25-2009, 04:08 PM

:laugh: Thats in part two brother. third page about the 7th paragraph down. Me thinks you only read parts 1 and 3 ... and if you did read part 2 they are not getting any more from me on that .... thats your tale to tell. :laugh:

Unless you are talkng about the constant quizing of "name that tune" that I got most every song wrong on. :dry: :D

CAMPO
11-25-2009, 04:11 PM
:laugh: Thats in part two brother. third page about the 7th paragraph down. Me thinks you only read parts 1 and 3 ... and if you did read part 2 they are not getting any more from me on that .... thats your tale to tell. :laugh:

Unless you are talkng about the constant quizing of "name that tune" that I got most every song wrong on. :dry: :D

I think you're right....I read all 3 parts! hmmm "name that tune" I wonder how I'd do on that :scared0015: take care

Boomer
11-25-2009, 04:28 PM
This is great, I love your write ups. If I know you were in IL last week I would have set up some time to catch up with you. Next time you come to IL we have to catch up!!!!

Im sorry Arron. I owed you and caveman and dawner a call whe nI was there and time just got away from me. next time buddy.

Great Story! Just what I needed to get through my boring morning.
:D Glad I could help. :wink:

come along Boomer, we're waiting for the conclusion.

plus...I do wish you hadnt edited that hour and a half car chat to a single sentance :ninja:

:wink: :ninja:

Part 1
Boomer you spell your damn car wrong again. Im taking away from ya:laugh: lol . Its CAMARO!!Oh and next time a someone comments on your Camaro being a auto and lifts a eyebrow. Tell them you wanted it that way. Do to all the horsepower you plan on putting into later. You dont want to be wasting money on clutches later. You might get a high five for that comment:).
Love me some Boomer Tales.

Thanks CHI :rolleyes: I never proof these. I always see a bunch of mistakes when I read them after I post. You know I had cage side seats for the Fedor fight I ended up not using ..... should have given you a call. :laugh:

My mother in law has one of those new Camaros (she got the SS package) and the first time they brought it by for my husband and I to check out, their son Harley calls....I was never more confused in my life!!! :laugh:

Sweet ... the SS so she has the V8.

Truers words never spoken boom.

Love ya brother. Have a good Holiday and God bless.

Right abck at yea Chris.

:scared0011: Boom!!!!! Don't do that again please.

~Amy

Pain is weakness leaving the body. :D

Um.... Who's Melanie???:huh:

Friend of mine that I met back when the HIT Squad fought in AZ. Lives in Hillsboro and is a stylist with her own shop. Great person.

Some of the nicest things in life "just happen". :)

Great tale, Boomer. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Indeed Bonnie ... I still get to see you next month in Houston right?

I think this might be one of the best tales yet, Boomer! I'm thankful to have you as a friend.
Glad you had a great time!

Same same buddy ... I maybe in NY for New Years. feel like going to the ball drop?

Boomer...THAT.WAS.GREAT. I truly loved reading all of your "tale" - and although I don't know you...and I'm very new to this nice lil group....I can tell you are a great person, with a big heart & have many people who adore & care for you. That is awesome!
Thank you for all you've done for our country...I admire you.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

PS: how's the arm now? looks like it was painful..

CAMPO welcome to the forums! Glad you sign up to show support for matt!! We are a happy little bunch for the most part. Thank you for your kind words and the arm is much better. :) Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Boomer, I not only thank you for a great story and again the service to this great country that we live in, and I know first hand that the Hughes boy's have a very keen way of making people they touch better, I have told people before that you do not give respect you earn it, Boomer, you and the twin brothers have earned my respect and I thank you. Good job.:punch::punch::punch:

Hey Silverback .. sorry I missed meeting you when I was there and thank you as well for your kind words. If I would have rolled with you it would have been comical. :laugh: My jits training was for only 6 months back before I deployed. But it takes a lot for me to tap. :wink:

Llamafighter
11-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Same same buddy ... I maybe in NY for New Years. feel like going to the ball drop?
You're nuts! If you make the trip, and we're here. I'll go

Silverback
11-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks Boomer, and if you had rolled with us that night I am sure Mark would have made you tap, He is the master, makes it seem very easy. I know him as Sissyboy, but nothing could be further from the truth.:punch::punch::punch:

Tyburn
11-25-2009, 05:46 PM

Hey Boomer. Were you afraid that sort of injury would happen if you took up the offer of playing dodgeball at the HIT Squad :ninja::laugh:

TexasRN
11-25-2009, 06:42 PM

BoomTown....You surely didn't sing Rockstar to those Mennonites. :unsure-1: :laugh:
Or did you get Matt to sing? He does a great "Jesus Loves Me." :Whistle:

~Amy

TENNESSEAN
11-25-2009, 11:53 PM
BoomTown....You surely didn't sing Rockstar to those Mennonites. :unsure-1: :laugh:

~Amy

That song is so distasteful I can't believe boomtown would ever sing that. :laugh::ninja:

We need to change this thread to boomer tales all.

pierson
11-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Wow wonderful story. UFC 52 opened my eyes to the whole MMA scene too. Amazing how many guys saw that and got goosebumps were hooked. I usually just read posts and don't reply but your story is cool. Thanks

Boomer
11-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Wow wonderful story. UFC 52 opened my eyes to the whole MMA scene too. Amazing how many guys saw that and got goosebumps were hooked. I usually just read posts and don't reply but your story is cool. Thanks

Thanks Pierson!! glad you dropped in !! :) You should do it more often!!

Yea 52 was epic ..

Boomer
11-26-2009, 03:25 AM

~Amy

That song is so distasteful I can't believe boomtown would ever sing that. :laugh::ninja:

We need to change this thread to boomer tales all.

:mellow: i hate you both ...

TexasRN
11-26-2009, 01:24 PM
:mellow: i hate you both ...

We pick on you because we love you. It's like being back in 3rd grade again. :w00t:

~Amy