PDA

View Full Version : Why Post-Modernity is Obsessed with Apokalypse

Tyburn
11-17-2009, 11:53 PM
There was a time when it was unthinkable to actually reproduce as footage the distruction of mass quarters of Earth, of Countries that hold value to us in the present reality. The Disastor Movies of old focused on a very situational disastor, perhaps it was one city distroyed by earthquakes, or one town threatened by a forrest fire. If you were lucky you got a ship on the high seas that would sink.

This changed in the late 1990s when for the first time, the genre made an evolution. In film, evolution happens when the Zeitgiest of society shifts enough to push a taboo further then previously thought acceptable...and once it begins to move, it moves extremely quickly. For example, take a look at the Horror Genre of just twenty years ago, and compare with today. What was thought of as horrific and pushing the taboo, is laughed at by todays fans of gore.

2012 solidifies a progression that began with disastor films that first threatened more then a small situational setting. Most of these films are theamed on the ideal of distruction from Space. Perhaps it was Independance Day, or Armageddon, or Deep Impact. But all these films stopped short of actually bringing that threat to life outside of acceptable quarters. Independance Day saw a few Cities wipped out, Armageddon saw a few men wipped out, and Deep Impact stopped short of more then a stone in the pond. We were of course at the time just a little bit after the advances in Science that brought us space age technology, perhaps its not suprising that, as a matter of intrigue, it was that subject that seemed to dominate.

But look how quickly this Genre is not only morphing, but also incorperating new ideas. In this last decade, we've heard nothing but climate change and Global Warming theories, regardless of what your views on such things are, this has entered the Zeitgiest because the newest set of Disastor Movies are based on Ecological issues.

Of which Several Films actually come as far as initiating the full scale destruction of the Planet. In The Day After Tommorow, and in 2012, the damage is actually done, its not a threat thats diverted at the last moment. The damage is done and the vast majority of human kind really does die out.

But all the while I wonder if there is more then just the love of distruction and the want to push a taboo futher. What makes me think this, is that during these Disastor Movies, the editors are taking very specific landmarks and showing their distruction. I dont believe this is just a case of random identification. For example, the scene in 2012 where the Washington Monument fractures...or maybe the ceiling of the Vatican caves in. This is an age where nothing is sacred anymore and we dont ordinarily hold places of value as meaningful in our every day life. We live in a state of apathy, and yet when you see as an American, the White House distroy, or you see as a Frenchman, the Eiffel Tower fall down, it evokes something strong. Could this possibly be a counter culture to apathy...I think so because of how these films always end up.

They all end on a note of hope, a note of new beginings, and a note of reaffirmation of what Humanity is all about, and it always is about something meaninful,classically NOT what we are living in reality ordinarily. It is of course far too early to tell.

There is something else worth thinking about. We have a fixation at present with the end of the world, or with the end of civilization. I think because that brings purpose to an otherwise boring existance. The problem with post modernity and the problem with advances in science is too much choice, and that leads to indecision. Too much choice is actually a negative thing. It means no choice is the right choice, its simply a choice, and with so much to choose from, how do you make your choice count as purpose? how do you know you are living a good life, if there is no longer a set model for what a good life is?

The Apokalypse solves this in many ways. First, its like taking out the trash. A culture that has existed for in some places 7 millenia, is bound to be a crusty relic. Sometimes all that red tape, beuracatic nonsense and years of tradition needs a breath of fresh air. The Apokalypse equates to a delete, or refresh button in this instance.

The Apokalypse might also symbolise judgement, or a coming to terms. A reordering of right priorities. This is often displayed in the films, invariably the characters at the centre of these things have difficult family or personal issues that they are forced to confront and work out. This brings them peace. Ultimately justice sets our minds at ease. We seek peace and rest and the Apokalypse being so overwhelming might allow us to quit thinking and bothering with parts of our lives which symbolise the daily grind which we can ill afford to disband in reality...but would love to for a moment be able to in order to address other more, important, but seldom attended to issues.

Just how is a Christian supposed to view this topic, particularly in light of the fact that most of the films are based on scientific possibilities, maybe not probably, but certainly possible. I think its important to remember that Christianity allows for these events to take place without the need for the immediate fulfilment of Revelation.

I think that we have to separate in our minds Revelation, and an apokalyptic event, because they dont equate to each other. After all, The World has been through a recorded Apokalypse once already, and the world was repopulated from a small number of faithful. It is entirely possible that that sort of thing could happen again. GOD promises no Deluge...but he didnt promise no Astaroids, and he didnt promise other things which could cause the vast majoirty of the human population to vanish. Infact, strictly speaking, the Scriptures make out the Civilization of Pre Deluge to be equal to, if not further advanced then we are. Who is to say that we may not ebb and flow through History from one Apokalyptic Event to another, many times before The Revelation?

Just a few thoughts.

NateR
11-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Soooooo, is 2012 worth watching or not?:huh:

Tyburn
11-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Soooooo, is 2012 worth watching or not?:huh:

Well it certainly made me think. Any film capable of making me think Existentially beyond its own being (if you pardon the pun) is worth seeing.

I remember talking to you about this when we watched 28weeks later in 2007. The scene during the firebombing of Central London by the American Military...do you recall it?

Do you remember I said that was quite a Taboo, because it portrayed one of our International Allies distroying parts of our Capital city...and so real was the demonstration that I pointed out to you several places I recognised?

It would still be Taboo for the roles to be reversed :laugh: You wouldnt get a film portraying the British firebombing the Capitol Building for example. Even as a Film i'm not sure the Americans would find that at all ammusing :laugh:

rockdawg21
11-18-2009, 01:44 AM
It's just because people are stupid, that's all you really needed to type.

Neezar
11-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Just a few thoughts.

Just a few? :scared0015:

Will there be foot notes? lol

Tyburn
11-18-2009, 12:53 PM
It's just because people are stupid, that's all you really needed to type.

there is nothing "stupid" about it. Its actually quite an overt longing in society for answers, meaning, and purpose. These Existential Questions are more on our minds now then ever. When the Church first fell, all that was needed was a reinvigorated sense of something excitable and uncontrollable...but now as more time passes we see something else other then mystery which dissapeared during the Enlightement. That is clear definitions on purpose.

People questioning purpose is good. Its part of that which makes someone seek answers...hopefully they find GOD through that.

County Mike
11-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Do you remember I said that was quite a Taboo, because it portrayed one of our International Allies distroying parts of our Capital city...and so real was the demonstration that I pointed out to you several places I recognised?

You must have really hated "Team America - World Police".

http://www.celluloid-dreams.de/content/images/kritiken-filmbilder/team-america-world-police/team-america-world-police-2.jpg

Tyburn
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
You must have really hated "Team America - World Police".

http://www.celluloid-dreams.de/content/images/kritiken-filmbilder/team-america-world-police/team-america-world-police-2.jpg

no because thats a spoof.

28 weeks later was a high profile and serious sequal to a very popular brand of Horror films. It was very daring of the Producers to show the clip...which isnt on Youtube for some reason...but the music that accompanies the scene is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPQBoZyhiA

rockdawg21
11-19-2009, 01:11 AM
there is nothing "stupid" about it. Its actually quite an overt longing in society for answers, meaning, and purpose. These Existential Questions are more on our minds now then ever. When the Church first fell, all that was needed was a reinvigorated sense of something excitable and uncontrollable...but now as more time passes we see something else other then mystery which dissapeared during the Enlightement. That is clear definitions on purpose.

People questioning purpose is good. Its part of that which makes someone seek answers...hopefully they find GOD through that.
I didn't read everything you wrote I guess. I'm just saying it's stupid that people spend so much time focusing on it. Just live your life and when God's ready to take you, then it's done. All that "When is the world going to end?" crap is just stupid. The world is not going to end in 2012, people just need to pull their heads outta their butt and get over it. This same crap happened in 2000, then in 2001, etc. It's stupid.

Jason 16
11-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Well it certainly made me think. Any film capable of making me think Existentially beyond its own being (if you pardon the pun) is worth seeing.

I remember talking to you about this when we watched 28weeks later in 2007. The scene during the firebombing of Central London by the American Military...do you recall it?

It would still be Taboo for the roles to be reversed :laugh: You wouldnt get a film portraying the British firebombing the Capitol Building for example. Even as a Film i'm not sure the Americans would find that at all ammusing :laugh:

I know in the game COD MW 2 when russia invades the US a lot of americans felt well unsettled playing it as well as russians when when they played the part when your a witness/participant of a mass murder in a russan air port which later got the game banned there. this was a big deal because this is highest selling game ever made more then 506 million made in the first 5 days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZXo7V-T9Ic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDZ4Go4B9UI

Tyburn
11-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Just live your life and when God's ready to take you, then it's done.

Why would a Post-Modern world EVER do that

Do you understand the Era that you live in and what it "believes" :huh: If you did it would be more easy to understand why they cant just think that.

Tyburn
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
I know in the game COD MW 2 when russia invades the US a lot of americans felt well unsettled playing it as well as russians when when they played the part when your a witness/participant of a mass murder in a russan air port which later got the game banned there. this was a big deal because this is highest selling game ever made more then 506 million made in the first 5 days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZXo7V-T9Ic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDZ4Go4B9UI

Perfect Example :)