PDA

View Full Version : Study: Pot may ease stress (PTSD)

rockdawg21
11-14-2009, 10:08 PM
DUH! Did there really need to be a study on this? This is the kind of crap in which people who've never smoked pot must study for clarification. Why not just save money and ask people who've smoked pot for years if it helps them relax and deal with stress?

What a waste of money, lol :laugh:

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/addiction/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100249166&GT1=31036
Pot Might Ease PTSD: Study
Synthetic marijuana reduced post-traumatic stress disorder in rats
-- Robert Preidt

FRIDAY, Nov. 13 (HealthDay News) -- Marijuana may help people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), according to a new study.

PTSD affects 10 to 30 percent of people who experience a traumatic event, such as a car accident or terror attack. These people continue to suffer stress symptoms for months and even years after the incident.

Israeli researchers conducted a series of experiments in which rats were subjected to stressful experiences, such as receiving electric shocks. The study found that the rats' stress levels could be reduced by giving them a synthetic form of marijuana that has properties similar to that of the natural plant.

Further investigation revealed that the synthetic marijuana prevents increased release of a stress hormone the body releases in response to traumatic situations.

"The results of our research should encourage psychiatric investigation into the use of cannabinoids in post-traumatic stress patients," wrote study author Dr. Irit Akirav of the department of psychology at the University of Haifa.

The study was published in a recent issue of the Journal of Neuroscience.

Neezar
11-14-2009, 10:11 PM
I have PTSD! :w00t:

J.B.
11-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Far out man :laugh:

http://southdakotapolitics.blogs.com/south_dakota_politics/images/cheech__chong_4.jpg

atomdanger
11-15-2009, 07:02 AM
DUH! Did there really need to be a study on this? This is the kind of crap in which people who've never smoked pot must study for clarification. Why not just save money and ask people who've smoked pot for years if it helps them relax and deal with stress?

What a waste of money, lol :laugh:

LOL no crap.

They need to study and see if it pot relaxed you?

mscomc
11-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, believe me, i know it sounds like a real waste of time..."pot helps you relax.."...but speaking from a researchers perspective, it is unfortunately something you have to do if you want to try an convince a governing body to use that substance in clinical applications.

The more science publications you have for the benefits of pot on various health conditions, the more likely someone can make their case for legalizing it in their respective: countries, states, cities, counties etc etc.

Tyburn
11-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I have PTSD! :w00t:

:rolleyes: no you dont :laugh:

Great...what next "ask your pharamcist for pot" :huh:

Neezar
11-16-2009, 01:31 AM

Great...what next "ask your pharamcist for pot" :huh:

As soon as they approve it for PTSD! :w00t:

:laugh:

Tyburn
11-16-2009, 01:41 AM
As soon as they approve it for PTSD! :w00t:

watcha gonna do :mellow: "Excuse me doctor, I've got all the wikipedia symptoms of PTSD...now where is my pot plant" :huh:

Neezar
11-16-2009, 01:49 AM
watcha gonna do :mellow: "Excuse me doctor, I've got all the wikipedia symptoms of PTSD...now where is my pot plant" :huh:

Pretty much.

:laugh: I'm kidding. That won't ever be happening with me. lol

matthughesfan21
11-16-2009, 01:51 AM

Great...what next "ask your pharamcist for pot" :huh:In California that is basically what happens...You get a prescription from your Doctor, you go to a "dispensary" where you ask the pharmacist(I believe they have to be licensed pharmacists) for pot, you can get it in many forms, creams, brownies, etc.:laugh:

Tyburn
11-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Pretty much.

:laugh: I'm kidding. That won't ever be happening with me. lol

:ninja: No...because you have a whole field of them growing under heat lamps in your loft dont you Denise

No joke...a guy just got done for it...the police found out when one of his plants caught fire and burned the house down :laugh::laugh:

bj44
11-16-2009, 02:42 AM
they needed a study to figure this out????

bradwright
11-16-2009, 02:56 AM
they needed a study to figure this out????

no..actually they need a study to say that pot relieves stress so they may get one step closer to legalization.
(and dont bother asking me who they are...you know who you are already.:ninja:)

J.B.
11-16-2009, 03:34 AM
They need to reform the laws anyway, and I think it's going to happen in the next 20 years or so. It's already started.

I can't believe in this day and age, with how money hungry our government is, that they have not jumped on taxing and regulating it. Alcohol is much more dangerous, and much more abused than pot yet it's okay to advertise booze on giant billboards in our cities and on television. Instead, they waste their time with silly laws and penalties against it and try to act as if that is going to solve "the problem".

Some people see reforming marijuana laws as a slippery slope that would eventually see harder drugs like cocaine, heroin, or methamphetamine legalized, and I think that's crazy. Those kind of drugs, and the effects they have on people is VERY different from what pot does. Drugs like those can actually completely change the way a human being thinks and acts and they actually make people do crazy and psychotic stuff. Even alcohol can completely change the way a person acts, I think we all know that. You never hear about some person robbing a liquor store and stealing a car while high on pot. Or you never hear about people going and raping and murdering people while on a 2 week "pot binge". :laugh:

That's not to say that we need everybody running around stoned all the time either. It's just to point out that regulating it is not really that crazy of an idea.

rockdawg21
11-16-2009, 03:39 AM
Not to mention that marijuana is much less harmful than prescription drugs. I always laughed watching the "Lunesta" commercials when they would show a person getting a "great night of sleep", then they would say:

http://www.lunesta.com/
"LUNESTA acts quickly, so take it right before bed, and only if you have 8 hours to devote to sleep. Until you know how you will react to LUNESTA, you should not drive or operate machinery. Call your doctor if your insomnia worsens or is not better within 7 to 10 days. This may mean that there is another condition causing your sleep problems. Walking, eating, driving or engaging in other activities while asleep without remembering it the next day have been reported. Other abnormal behaviors include aggressiveness, agitation, hallucinations and confusion. In depressed patients, worsening of depression including risk of suicide may occur. These risks may increase if you drink alcohol. Severe allergic reactions such as swelling of the tongue and throat occur rarely and may be fatal. Call your doctor if you experience these or any effects or reactions that concern you. LUNESTA, like most sleep medicines, carries some risk of dependency. Side effects may include unpleasant taste, headache, morning drowsiness and dizziness. You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA."

Seriously, as a person who smoked marijuana daily for multiple years, I NEVER experienced all of those problems, LOL! For God's sakes, this product is legal, but Mary Jane isn't? It's stupid.

Maldonado136
11-16-2009, 04:15 AM
if alcohol is legal then i dont see why pot isnt. alcohol is a hell of a lot more dangerous than the hippy lettuce. you should read some of the signs they made in the 1930s that were out right lies. i remember one that said something like "a man took a hit of marijuana and killed his entire family" lol its so obvious that a lot of negative things people say about it are lies but most people dont think for themselves they just believe what they are told. not to mention crime would lessen if its legal. when alcohol was prohibited in the 30s crime went through the roof and guys like al capone were able to make a good living off of that.

County Mike
11-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Go ahead and legalize it. The more people who smoke pot and lose brain activity, the smarter I'll look in comparison.

rockdawg21
11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Go ahead and legalize it. The more people who smoke pot and lose brain activity, the smarter I'll look in comparison.
I hate hearing that. There is no proof smoking marijuana makes one lose their IQ. This is crap and more of the BS lies put into our heads by the government regarding marijuana and it's BS "side effects".

In comparison, prescription drugs and alcohol carry more immediate and long-term harmful effects than marijuana.

Maldonado136
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM

thats really just an assumption though...

CAVEMAN
11-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Will relieve stress but cause lung cancer! Gee, let me weigh the options!:laugh:

Tyburn
11-16-2009, 08:01 PM
thats really just an assumption though...

Your right. Telephone the Administration and tell them we need further scientific proof :laugh:

J.B.
11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Will relieve stress but cause lung cancer! Gee, let me weigh the options!:laugh:

To be fair, they have actually done extensive studies that show smoking of marijuana has no direct ties to causing lung cancer. Although it will cause other issues associated with smoking, such as emphysema. Just saying.

Regardless of a persons personal choices on weather they would smoke it or not, the big issue has always been the misinformation and propaganda spread about the drug. There is no logical reason to have alcohol as widely available and as heavily marketed as it in our society, but then to turn around and waste millions upon millions of dollars in court costs and jail costs just to punish people for using pot. It's unbelievably stupid.

rockdawg21
11-16-2009, 11:10 PM
To be fair, they have actually done extensive studies that show smoking of marijuana has no direct ties to causing lung cancer. Although it will cause other issues associated with smoking, such as emphysema. Just saying.

Regardless of a persons personal choices on weather they would smoke it or not, the big issue has always been the misinformation and propaganda spread about the drug. There is no logical reason to have alcohol as widely available and as heavily marketed as it in our society, but then to turn around and waste millions upon millions of dollars in court costs and jail costs just to punish people for using pot. It's unbelievably stupid.
The other thing is, how many people do you see smoking 18 joints a day? People smoke cigarettes like crazy, but people simply can't smoke that much marijuana. The amount of toxicity between a pot smoker and a cigarette smoker is FAR from comparison.

3 people will smoke 1 joint and be fine for hours. 1 person smokes 1 cigarette, and needs another in 30 minutes. Big difference.

County Mike
11-16-2009, 11:58 PM
I hate hearing that. There is no proof smoking marijuana makes one lose their IQ. This is crap and more of the BS lies put into our heads by the government regarding marijuana and it's BS "side effects".

In comparison, prescription drugs and alcohol carry more immediate and long-term harmful effects than marijuana.

I didn't say it because some government agency told me it would happen. I've seen it in too many people. Bright young people start smoking weed. After a couple years, they're total idiots.

Perhaps a very rare puff wouldn't have much effect. However, people who start getting stoned all the time show an obvious decline in mental activity.

flo
11-17-2009, 12:06 AM
They need to reform the laws anyway, and I think it's going to happen in the next 20 years or so. It's already started.

I can't believe in this day and age, with how money hungry our government is, that they have not jumped on taxing and regulating it. Alcohol is much more dangerous, and much more abused than pot yet it's okay to advertise booze on giant billboards in our cities and on television. Instead, they waste their time with silly laws and penalties against it and try to act as if that is going to solve "the problem".

Some people see reforming marijuana laws as a slippery slope that would eventually see harder drugs like cocaine, heroin, or methamphetamine legalized, and I think that's crazy. Those kind of drugs, and the effects they have on people is VERY different from what pot does. Drugs like those can actually completely change the way a human being thinks and acts and they actually make people do crazy and psychotic stuff. Even alcohol can completely change the way a person acts, I think we all know that. You never hear about some person robbing a liquor store and stealing a car while high on pot. Or you never hear about people going and raping and murdering people while on a 2 week "pot binge". :laugh:

That's not to say that we need everybody running around stoned all the time either. It's just to point out that regulating it is not really that crazy of an idea.

Very good analysis.

flo
11-17-2009, 12:08 AM
For God's sakes, this product is legal, but Mary Jane isn't?

Haven't heard that in a while, bro. :)

NateR
11-17-2009, 12:11 AM
I didn't say it because some government agency told me it would happen. I've seen it in too many people. Bright young people start smoking weed. After a couple years, they're total idiots.

Perhaps a very rare puff wouldn't have much effect. However, people who start getting stoned all the time show an obvious decline in mental activity.

Agreed. I knew several guys in the Army who used to smoke a lot of marijuana before they joined up. They all had some pretty common personality traits:

1. paranoia - they all believed in these big conspiracy theories and believed that every move they made was being watched and recorded. They also believed that the suppression of marijuana was part of some big government conspiracy that was meant to keep the American population from expanding their minds and it was all a part of the government's overarching scheme to turn us all into mindless worker drones.

2. inability to deal with stress - even the most mundane daily duties would stress them out and they would spend all of their time complaining.

3. terrible memory - although lots of people have this for reasons not related to pot.

4. fixation with marijuana - it was all they talked about and they would count down the days (up to 3 or 4 years out!) to when they would be able to smoke their next joint without worrying about the Army's urinalysis tests. If that's not an addiction, I don't know what is.