PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie

atomdanger
11-10-2009, 12:22 AM
I was training BJJ today, and my instructor (I won't give out his name...a black belt under Jean Jacques Machado), told me that he was informed at Machado's academy in Tarzana, CA that Renzo Gracie will be fighting Matt Hughes early next year... I know this rumor has been around for a few months, but I just wanted to throw this bit of news out there...

This was posted on some other forums.
Complete BS??? or????

Tyburn
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Never heard of him :)

atomdanger
11-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Never heard of him :)

riight. lol

Crisco
11-10-2009, 04:26 AM
File that under "Complete rumor"

atomdanger
11-10-2009, 06:39 AM
File that under "Complete rumor"

oh for sure, but who knows.
They brought one Gracie in to fight him,
it would be HUGE.
Matt also said he wanted big fights with big named people or something.
So, who knows.

Tyburn
11-10-2009, 09:13 PM
oh for sure, but who knows.
They brought one Gracie in to fight him,
it would be HUGE.
Matt also said he wanted big fights with big named people or something.
So, who knows.

How big can he be when I've never heard of him :huh:

3dlee
11-10-2009, 09:21 PM
this would be an awesome matchup to watch. renzo is undoubtedly my favorite gracie. i met him at ufn 18 in nashville and he was absolutely humble and generous with his time. but we've already learned that our representative of american wrestling will kick the ass of their rep of BJJ. Renzo doesnt have any crazy strikes to really look out for so Matt would send him to flight school and proceed to get the gnp stoppage in round 1.

Crisco
11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
How big can he be when I've never heard of him :huh:

Your not quite the student of the sport you think you are David :)

Renzo has fought BJ Penn and more recently Frank shamrock.

He's one of the most famous Gracies and he holds the monopoly of Gracie JJ in the tri-state area of the north eastern U.S.

Tyburn
11-10-2009, 09:48 PM

:laugh: story of my life :laugh:

Llamafighter
11-10-2009, 09:51 PM

Renzo has fought BJ Penn and more recently Frank shamrock.

He's one of the most famous Gracies and he holds the monopoly of Gracie JJ in the tri-state area of the north eastern U.S.

More importantly...

He fought Pat Militech!!!

J.B.
11-10-2009, 09:53 PM
You don't know who Renzo Gracie is Dave? :blink:

That truly is surprising :laugh:

rockdawg21
11-10-2009, 10:36 PM
The only "big" part of his name is "Gracie".

TENNESSEAN
11-11-2009, 02:08 AM
That's been a long time ago. Didn't pat break his arm. If I remember right that was a awesome fight.

More importantly...

He fought Pat Militech!!!

Jason 16
11-11-2009, 02:42 AM
That's been a long time ago. Didn't pat break his arm. If I remember right that was a awesome fight.

naw renzo choked him out

TENNESSEAN
11-11-2009, 02:46 AM
never mind. That's been a long time ago I got my fights mixed up.
Matt would school renzo.

Crisco
11-11-2009, 03:07 AM

You obviously don't know anything about the man.

Max
11-11-2009, 04:50 AM
Renzo is a good fighter. I think that Matt would win but Renzo is def a better opponent than Royce.

Also Renzo is the person who gave Matt Serra his BB in BJJ.

rearnakedchoke
11-11-2009, 02:39 PM

nah, i am sure that was sakuraba .. i think he broke two gracie arms with a kimura .. now if that is not sending a message to an entire family about the japanese being superior at grappling than i don't know what is ... if i know the story correctly, helio gracie had long battles with japanese fighter something kimura and that was the same move that this person used on helio ... but i don't think any of the gracies tapped ... i could be wrong though ... from what i remember, renzo's face was expressionless when his arm snapped.

Llamafighter
11-11-2009, 03:00 PM
naw renzo choked him out

Pat had a neck issue and tapped as not to make it any worse. I'd liek to see that rematch.

KevinD
11-11-2009, 03:37 PM
here's a link to the story

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Matt-Hughes-vs-Renzo-Gracie-being-discussed-for-UFC-109.html

I would love to see this fight happen.

Llamafighter
11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
For the access restricted...
Former longtime UFC welterweight champ Matt Hughes has been offered a fight against well-known Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner Renzo Gracie at UFC 109 in February. News of the possibility of the bout was first reported by AroundTheOctagon.com.

There has been no official word on whether Gracie has signed with the UFC, but he has been deep in negotiations with the promotion as recent as earlier this month.

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta first hinted late last month, on his official twitter account, that the promotion is in talks with Renzo Gracie. Rumors that Gracie's first UFC opponent would be Matt Hughes has since swirled around the net.

If the fight with Gracie gets booked, Hughes would be facing his second member of the famed Gracie family, as he previously defeated Renzo's first cousin, Royce Gracie, at UFC 60 in May 2006.

Previous opponents Frank Trigg and Dennis Hallman were also under consideration to face Hughes at UFC 109. Renzo Gracie could be the older, bigger named fighter Hughes is looking for, as the nine-time UFC welterweight champion has said he has no interest in fights with Mike Swick, Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck and other rising welterweights who have all called him out.

Hughes (43-7) has not fought since defeating Matt Serra at UFC 98 in May. Following the win, he signed a new signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC. He previously suffered back-to-back losses against Georges St. Pierre and Thiago Alves. Hughes has put together a 16-5 record during his long tenure with the UFC, scoring notable Octagon wins over the likes of Carlos Newton, Hayato Sakurai, BJ Penn, Frank Trigg, Sean Sherk, Joe Riggs and Georges St. Pierre.

Before coming to the UFC, Hughes competed for other promotions such as Rings and Extreme Challenge. The 11-year veteran of the sport has finished 33 of his 43 career wins and holds other notable career wins over Dave Menne, Akihiro Gono and Joe Doerksen.

Gracie (13-6-1) last fought at EliteXC: "Destiny" in February 2007, where he was awarded a disqualification win over Frank Shamrock. The win was his third straight, with previous wins over Pat Miletich and Carlos Newton.

Gracie has competed for other notable promotions during his 17-year career such as Pride, IFL, MARS and Rings. He has finished 10 of his 13 career wins including seven coming by submission, and holds other notable career wins over the likes of Maurice Smith, Sanae Kikuta and Oleg Taktarov.

The UFC's traditional Super Bowl event, UFC 109, is expected to take place on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas, NV. Other rumored bouts for the event include a middleweight tilt between Dan Miller and Demian Maia as well as the debut of Rolles Gracie, who will take on Mustapha al Turk in heavyweight action.

wavetar
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm sure it was at least offered...Matt did say he was given a big name that he hadn't fought before during negotiations.

philips4
11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
I would LOVE to see Matt punish another Gracie!!:punch:

Llamafighter
11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
The fight would be fun to watch but really I don't see any reason for it. Renzo isn't ranked in the top 10.

Krupp
11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Why not? Sakuraba was known once as the Gracie killer. They kept throwing him Gracies because of it. I could see Renzo being motivated to beat Matt and avenge Royce's loss to him...it'd be a great fight for two old-timers, much like the Nog/Couture fight was like.

I say do it. I think Matt has a decent chance to win this one.

Blmfighter
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I think this will be a hard fight for Matt. I think he can win it will just be hard. I think Renzo will be just as good on the ground if not better and he will be bigger the Matt. Matt will need to get on top and stay there.

Tyburn
11-11-2009, 08:29 PM
You don't know who Renzo Gracie is Dave? :blink:

That truly is surprising :laugh:

:unsure-1:there are so many of them...:mellow:

Tyburn
11-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Also Renzo is the person who gave Matt Serra his BB in BJJ.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

rearnakedchoke
11-11-2009, 09:37 PM
:unsure-1:there are so many of them...:mellow:

nah, i think there is only one renzo ..

Tyburn
11-11-2009, 11:08 PM
nah, i think there is only one renzo ..

:rolleyes: I was refering to his Family :laugh:

atomdanger
11-12-2009, 03:51 AM

Not really, Renzo has done a lot in his own right other than just being a gracie

atomdanger
11-12-2009, 03:52 AM
The fight would be fun to watch but really I don't see any reason for it. Renzo isn't ranked in the top 10.

and Royce was?

atomdanger
11-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Kenny Florian tweeted this fight is official.

Renzo trained GSP for a long time,
he also gave Almeida (spelling?) his BB,
apparently he has also been the personal jiu-jitsu teacher of Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, since 93.

Llamafighter
11-12-2009, 01:49 PM
and Royce was?

Oh come on. At the time of the Royce fight that made a lot of sense. You had the return of the original dominating fighter against the currernt top dude. Everyone knew who Royce Gracie was when Matt fought him. Renzo doesn't have quite the name (even though he's a big name in the sport).
I guess if Trigg returns to fight Kos then Renzo and Hughes sort of makes sense.
How does Matt go up the ladder by beating Renzo?

Krupp
11-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Matt won't climb the WW ladder with a win over Renzo. At this point, I'd expect Matt to fight guys like Renzo in interesting match-ups, until he retires. I doubt he'll be getting close to that title again, especially since the man who's managed to beat him twice is still holding the belt.

J.B.
11-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Kenny Florian tweeted this fight is official.

Renzo trained GSP for a long time,
he also gave Almeida (spelling?) his BB,
apparently he has also been the personal jiu-jitsu teacher of Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, since 93.

I didn't know KenFlo was making official fight announcements now, :laugh:

Llamafighter
11-12-2009, 05:34 PM

When he's not "killing the master" :)

CAVEMAN
11-12-2009, 05:53 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/16826/report-matt-hughes-vs-renzo-gracie-planned-for-ufc-109-in-february.mma

que
11-12-2009, 05:53 PM
i would love to see hughes fight another gracie. i don't care about rankings. this would be exciting

J.B.
11-12-2009, 06:30 PM
When he's not "killing the master" :)

:laugh:

atomdanger
11-12-2009, 08:18 PM

YOu didn't hear?

Kenflo does what he wants.

atomdanger
11-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh come on. At the time of the Royce fight that made a lot of sense. You had the return of the original dominating fighter against the currernt top dude. Everyone knew who Royce Gracie was when Matt fought him. Renzo doesn't have quite the name (even though he's a big name in the sport).
I guess if Trigg returns to fight Kos then Renzo and Hughes sort of makes sense.
How does Matt go up the ladder by beating Renzo?

Yeah but Matt made that statement a few weeks ago saying he just wanted some big name interesting fights.

It didn't sound like he was interested in making another title run.
I could be wrong?

He literally said.
“As far as who I fight next? You know, looking at these younger kids who are wanting to come in and be the next world champion or be the next contender, I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know if I'll take on those guys,” he says.

“I like to take fights where I've got something to win. If I take a fight against Mike Swick or Josh Kosheck, I've really got nothing to gain from that fight…They've got more to win than I do. Royce Gracie was a big fight, you know? It was a huge name, a guy that had won the old tournaments in the beginning.

hizo64
11-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I think that the only Gracie that was worth anything was Rickson, he was one bad conditioned dude! I suggest the movie "Choke", if youre a fan of hard work and mma, then its perfect for you!

rearnakedchoke
11-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Okay, so is this Official? Usually in these threads we have Nathan posting "I am pretty sure this is just a rumour" Since we haven't heard from Nate, are we ok to say this is a go?? Matt via Rd 2 TKO

VCURamFan
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Okay, so is this Official? Usually in these threads we have Nathan posting "I am pretty sure this is just a rumour" Since we haven't heard from Nate, are we ok to say this is a go?? Matt via Rd 2 TKO
:frantics::frantics::frantics:

Preach
11-14-2009, 09:09 PM
mmaplayground has this fight announced

NateR
11-14-2009, 09:20 PM

It's not official, but I can neither confirm nor deny the rumor.

Neezar
11-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Well that is about as clear as mud. :laugh:

wpnsman2000
11-15-2009, 12:30 AM
I also read an article suggesting the matchup was confirmed, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I didn't like the fact the article I read that stated it would make sense for Matt to take the fight being it would bring him more money...as he doesn't seem into it "fighting" just for the money. I mean sure its a great perk but come on....I sure would love to see him shut koshchek "spelling" up...I really cannot stand him.

J.B.
11-15-2009, 12:58 AM
I also read an article suggesting the matchup was confirmed, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I didn't like the fact the article I read that stated it would make sense for Matt to take the fight being it would bring him more money...as he doesn't seem into it "fighting" just for the money. I mean sure its a great perk but come on....I sure would love to see him shut koshchek "spelling" up...I really cannot stand him.

Matt has earned the right to fight whoever he wants.

The man has a family and a long life ahead of him, he deserves to fight the biggest possible draws at this point in his career. "Money" is not a dirty word, and all athletes at the top their profession deserve to make a lot of it. We as fans pay a lot of money to endorse the sports we love, and the ones who make these sports great are the athletes. UFC means nothing without the fighters, and it's guys like Matt Hughes who are at the top of the food chain and deserve the biggest paydays.

Just my two pennies on the matter...:)

Jeval
11-15-2009, 01:12 AM
I've been waiting to hear who Matt is fighting next and I'm glad that one is finally announced. The other day I watched Hughes vs Serra on Unleashhed.(for the umpteenth time :wink:) I thought that Matt looked to be in excellent shape/form and won that fight easily. I felt that the commentary was out to lunch. Goldie, although good at times, tends to jump to conclusions during a fight. I watched the fight with the volume down after and there was no doubt that Matt easily won the fight. Some of my buddies said that Serra was robbed, but I think that it was due to being infulenced by the commentary of Glodberg.
Anyway, I'm sure that Matt will dominate another Gracie.
WAR MATT!!!!!!:fighting0028:

wpnsman2000
11-15-2009, 02:58 AM
I agree that the fighters should be making as much as possible w/ what they lay on the line. I was just stating how the writer of the article kind of made it sound like it was just about the money....Please be assured, I have no problems "not that it would matter" with fighters or athletes making money because I enjoy watching the action...and I don't have to front all of the payout...LOL!

Neezar
11-15-2009, 03:14 AM
Well I really liked Renzo...until now. :frantics:

Oddtodd76
11-16-2009, 02:31 AM
Oh, i can't wait till feb!

I smell a road trip!

atomdanger
11-16-2009, 09:02 PM

O_O

atomdanger
11-16-2009, 09:04 PM
http://www.renzogracielegacy.com/

Everybody should watch this movie.

Irish Pride
11-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Eh, this doesn't hold much appeal to me. The guy is 42 and hasn't fought in three years. His last real win was in 2006 to Carlos Newton a guy Matt has already beat too. Eh... :unsure-1:

Neezar
11-17-2009, 04:20 AM
Juicy tidbit:

Renzo was a corner man for a guy fighting Nate Marquart, Nate tapped and the ref stopped the fight, Renzo's fighter didn't release choke right away and when he did Nate took a swing at him, Renzo jumped in the ring, and kicked Nate Marquardt in the face.:huh:

MattHughesRocks
11-17-2009, 04:23 AM
Niiice :laugh:

Juicy tidbit:

Renzo was a corner man for a guy fighting Nate Marquart, Nate tapped and the ref stopped the fight, Renzo's fighter didn't release choke right away and when he did Nate took a swing at him, Renzo jumped in the ring, and kicked Nate Marquardt in the face.:huh:

Silverback
11-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't care who it is, if Matt's fighting I'm watching and my son's will be watching, kick his butt Matt.

Oddtodd76
11-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Juicy tidbit:

I am gonna have to find that fight and watch it!

atomdanger
11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Juicy tidbit:

Yeah, I loved that fight.
The "guy" was Ricardo Almeida.

Llamafighter
11-17-2009, 11:11 PM
I am gonna have to find that fight and watch it!
here's the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igyHOdjZ_v4

Shane Lee 2
11-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I think allot of people will be suprised when this fight is anounced

I haven't talked to Matt about it nor do I have inside info. at this point.

But Dana sent out a twitter picture with himself and Renzo. Renzo is a great fighter and any Gracie in the Octagon is extremely Marketable.

And we all know how marketable Matt is. After his destruction of Royce there will be tons of folks wanting to see if he can do it again to a Gracie with a different fighting style. Plus it will be a nice change from the match ups of late.

Of course I am always in my buddy's corner but I find it an interesting and money making match up for the UFC.

My call is this fight will happen.

Shane Lee 2
11-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Geuss I was a little late. lol

http://mmajunkie.com/event/658/ufc-109.mma

County Mike
11-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Forum meeting in Vegas?

jasonmma
11-18-2009, 04:46 PM
if i had to guess i would think this is going to happen. most of the time it seems that nate is quick to stop any rumors and hes not confirming or denying this one lol. only time will tell

atomdanger
11-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I think allot of people will be suprised when this fight is anounced

I haven't talked to Matt about it nor do I have inside info. at this point.

But Dana sent out a twitter picture with himself and Renzo. Renzo is a great fighter and any Gracie in the Octagon is extremely Marketable.

And we all know how marketable Matt is. After his destruction of Royce there will be tons of folks wanting to see if he can do it again to a Gracie with a different fighting style. Plus it will be a nice change from the match ups of late.

Of course I am always in my buddy's corner but I find it an interesting and money making match up for the UFC.

My call is this fight will happen.

I could see them promote this in the Hughes vs Gracie family direction,
sort of, Renzo getting Matt for Royce or something like a grudge.
I am sure they will bring up Renzo beating Pat.

Nice little marketing idea, people will eat it up.

Irish Pride
11-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Can someone tell me how this is a top guy? Matt wanted top guys. Guys that would get him back to the top of the list.

His last true win was THREE years ago to Carlos Newton. Matt already beat Carlos. 2006 he beat Pat Militech who was returning to fighting after 4 YEARS and had hurt his neck. His last win after that was in 2001 EIGHT YEARS AGO! and was after a 3 fight losing streak.

2007 win Frank Shamrock via a DQ
2006 win Carlos Newton (3 years ago)
2006 win Pat Militech (Pat was returning to fighting after 4 year hiatus and had injured his neck previous to the fight)
2005 LOSS Bj Penn
2003 LOSS Carlos Newton
2002 LOSS Shungo Oyama
2001 Win Michiyoshi Ohara
2001 LOSS Dan Henderson
2001 LOSS Kazushi Sakuraba
2001 LOSS Kiyoshi Tamura

Prior to 2001 he had his win streak from 92 - 99 consisting of 9 wins 1 NC and 1 Draw. So this win streak was 10 years ago....

huan
11-19-2009, 03:50 AM
Bummer because 109 was looking like a stacked card...

A welterweight matchup between Renzo Gracie and former champ Matt Hughes remains likely to take place in 2010, though it won’t happen in February at UFC 109 as originally reported, according to Gracie Mag:

Renzo is not going to fight in February, when he will be completely focused on cousin Rolles’s UFC debut. But…

“My relationship with the UFC is excellent. Something will happen…” he hints.

On his adversary, should it really be Matt Hughes, as has been speculated for weeks, Renzo confirms nothing. Nor does he deny it: “The match-up has been made. It’s going down.

Gracie joins the UFC after winning three-straight, most-recently defeating Frank Shamrock by DQ in early-2007 in EliteXC, while Hughes had lost back-to-back fights before getting back on track in May with a win over rival Matt Serra.

http://mmafrenzy.com/12182/renzo-gracie-vs-matt-hughes-off-for-ufc-109-still-likely-for-2010/

Shane Lee 2
11-19-2009, 04:02 AM
Can someone tell me how this is a top guy? Matt wanted top guys. Guys that would get him back to the top of the list.

His last true win was THREE years ago to Carlos Newton. Matt already beat Carlos. 2006 he beat Pat Militech who was returning to fighting after 4 YEARS and had hurt his neck. His last win after that was in 2001 EIGHT YEARS AGO! and was after a 3 fight losing streak.

2007 win Frank Shamrock via a DQ
2006 win Carlos Newton (3 years ago)
2006 win Pat Militech (Pat was returning to fighting after 4 year hiatus and had injured his neck previous to the fight)
2005 LOSS Bj Penn
2003 LOSS Carlos Newton
2002 LOSS Shungo Oyama
2001 LOSS Dan Henderson
2001 LOSS Kazushi Sakuraba
2001 LOSS Kiyoshi Tamura

Prior to 2001 he had his win streak from 92 - 99 consisting of 9 wins 1 NC and 1 Draw. So this win streak was 10 years ago....

Not gonna say that. But I will say that Dana is in the business of putting fights together that people want to see or at least that he can convince people they want to see and I think this is one of those type of fights. Dana has said the first statement multiple times.

VCURamFan
11-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Bummer because 109 was looking like a stacked card...

http://mmafrenzy.com/12182/renzo-gracie-vs-matt-hughes-off-for-ufc-109-still-likely-for-2010/
Phew! Well now I'll have more of a chance to save for a Vegas trip.

MattHughesRocks
11-19-2009, 04:41 AM
It was never confirmed in the first place and mmafrenzy don't know everything anyway.Stop planning your live's around this :laugh:

NateR
11-19-2009, 04:47 AM
As soon as Matt knows who he is fighting next and when, then he will announce it on this website. So, if you haven't seen anything posted here: http://www.matt-hughes.com/ , then it means that Matt doesn't know for sure who he is fighting next.

Chuck
11-19-2009, 05:16 AM
As soon as Matt knows who he is fighting next and when, then he will announce it on this website. So, if you haven't seen anything posted here: http://www.matt-hughes.com/ , then it means that Matt doesn't know for sure who he is fighting next.

Yeah whatever.... how much can he bench?? :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
11-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Preach it to them brother! :laugh:

Crisco
11-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah whatever.... how much can he bench?? :laugh:

HAHAHAHA