PDA

View Full Version : Presidential News Conference - on now

rearnakedchoke
02-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Your Pres in on right now ... man, this is one real great president ...

NateR
02-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Your Pres in on right now ... man, this is one real great president ...

I'm watching Cartoon Network, I'm not interested in this man's lies.

J.B.
02-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Give him a chance to screw up before you totally condemn him Nate, it has not even been a month yet, this is only his first prime time news conference. :laugh:

J.B.
02-10-2009, 01:28 AM
I will say, somebody needs to do a fact check on that school in South Carolina Obama just referenced. What he said seemed a bit exaggerated.

NateR
02-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Give him a chance to screw up before you totally condemn him Nate, it has not even been a month yet, this is only his first prime time news conference. :laugh:

Actually, I am watching him talk around in circles right now. He's complaining about Bush doubling the national debt over 8 years, while completely ignoring the fact that he wants to double it again within his first few weeks in office.

I won't even get into how dangerous it is to just go printing off money with nothing to back it up except the "good name" of the US government. Just read about Germany's hyperinflation in 1923, where money was more valuable as scrap paper than it's face value.

Of course, Nancy Pelosi did the best job of summing up liberal fearmongering to gain support for this "stimulus" package. She stated that, for every moment we delayed passing the stimulus, "500 million Americans lose their jobs." That just really puts it all into perspective. The situation is unbelievably dire! Especially since there are only 305 million Americans alive today. :rolleyes:

Black Mamba
02-10-2009, 01:37 AM

:laugh: :laugh:

Are there any good cartoons on there? Adultswim is pretty good (PJs, King of the Hill, Family Guy) but during the day it's only so-so. I miss all the old cartoons from the 90s (Jetsons, Scooby, Pup Named Scooby Doo, Acme Hour, Johnny Bravo, Looney Tunes, etc).

J.B.
02-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Actually, I am watching him talk around in circles right now. He's complaining about Bush doubling the national debt over 8 years, while completely ignoring the fact that he wants to double it again within his first few weeks in office.

I won't even get into how dangerous it is to just go printing off money with nothing to back it up except the "good name" of the US government. Just read about Germany's hyperinflation in 1923, where money was more valuable as scrap paper than it's face value.

Of course, Nancy Pelosi did the best job of summing up liberal fearmongering to gain support for this "stimulus" package. She stated that, for every moment we delayed passing the stimulus, "500 million Americans lose their jobs." That just really puts it all into perspective. The situation is unbelievably dire! Especially since there are only 305 million Americans alive today. :rolleyes:

I am with you, I am just saying before we totally rake him over the coals lets see what actually happens here in near future. No doubt the economy is a bad spot right now, but of course they are making it seem worse than it is to get this bill passed.

Although, it is funny how he says he did not intend to come right into office and spend all this money but it's almost exactly what John McCain said he was gonna do, almost down to the dollar amount.

Pelosi is the most dangerous of the group in my opinion, that woman really rubs me the wrong way. Even just looking at her upsets me.

NateR
02-10-2009, 01:47 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

Are there any good cartoons on there? Adultswim is pretty good (PJs, King of the Hill, Family Guy) but during the day it's only so-so. I miss all the old cartoons from the 90s (Jetsons, Scooby, Pup Named Scooby Doo, Acme Hour, Johnny Bravo, Looney Tunes, etc).

Actually, they were playing Ben10, which I'm not a huge fan of, so I had no problem changing it.

Back to the hyperinflation, when Germany started printing money out of control, prices skyrocketed to unbelievable levels almost overnight.

This is a 50 Mark note, which could buy 25 loaves of bread in 1920 (equivalent to our dollar, bread is about $2 a loaf right now).
http://www.romanbritain.freeserve.co.uk/hyperinflation_files/image007.jpg

This is a 5,000,000,000 Mark note (that's 5 billion). In November 1923, you would have needed 40 of these to buy a single loaf of bread (equivalent to $90 billion for one loaf of bread).
http://www.romanbritain.freeserve.co.uk/hyperinflation_files/image011.jpg

Within hours, you would have needed 80 of these to buy half a loaf of bread. That's how quickly it can all fall apart.

There were many factors that played into the collapse of the German economy, but the basic premise is sound: If you print too much worthless money, eventually ALL of your money becomes worthless.

J.B.
02-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Oooh, curveball by Major Garret with the question about his conversation with Joe Biden...very nice. Now he's really talking in circles. Almost like John Madden calling a football game. :laugh:

Now they are asking him about A-Rod....this is ridiculous. He better say GO White Sox. :angry:

J.B.
02-10-2009, 01:50 AM
They need to stop giving Helen Thomas a microphone. I don't wanna be mean, but c'mon...

rearnakedchoke
02-10-2009, 01:59 AM
When do they plan on adding Obama to Rushmore?

NateR
02-10-2009, 02:05 AM
When do they plan on adding Obama to Rushmore?

Not going to happen.

NateR
02-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Here's a graph showing how much money has been in circulation in the past. The data is only up to December 01, 2008; but you see an alarming climb in the amount of money printed starting in October 2008. That's the result of Bush's stimulus plan to bail out the banks. Barack wants to print another $800 billion. That's ridiculous! Bush might have already signed the death sentence for our economy, but Barack just seems like he wants to speed it up.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/moneygraph.jpg
Source: http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/fredgraph?chart_type=line&width=1000&height=600&preserve_ratio=true&s%5b1%5d%5bid%5d=AMBNS#

This is seriously scary stuff if you are an American.

County Mike
02-10-2009, 02:13 AM
The worst thing about the press conference is that they interrupted "24".

Bonnie
02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Here's a graph showing how much money has been in circulation in the past. The data is only up to December 01, 2008; but you see an alarming climb in the amount of money printed starting in October 2008. That's the result of Bush's stimulus plan to bail out the banks. Barack wants to print another $800 billion. That's ridiculous! Bush might have already signed the death sentence for our economy, but Barack just seems like he wants to speed it up.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/moneygraph.jpg
Source: http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/fredgraph?chart_type=line&width=1000&height=600&preserve_ratio=true&s%5b1%5d%5bid%5d=AMBNS#

This is seriously scary stuff if you are an American.

:scared0011:

BTW, Nathan, don't you think Matt would look real good up on Rushmore. He'd probably need his own spot though--he might make the others look "wimpy". :laugh:

Moose
02-11-2009, 07:10 AM
:scared0011:

BTW, Nathan, don't you think Matt would look real good up on Rushmore. He'd probably need his own spot though--he might make the others look "wimpy". :laugh:

Supposedly Washington, Lincoln, and TR were badasses in their own rights.

que
02-11-2009, 07:46 AM
so far, i have been very happy with obama's decisions he has made. shutting down guantamano bay was fantastic and it was a bold statement to prove to the world that he means what he says and says what he means.

i don't know how his plan to help the economy will turn out, but we will have to wait to see.

J.B.
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
shutting down guantamano bay was fantastic and it was a bold statement to prove to the world that he means what he says and says what he means..

:blink:

Whats so fantastic about giving hardcore terrorists the same rights we have?

Shutting down Guantanamo was purely political, and as of right now it tells us nothing of Obama's ability to keep his word.

Spiritwalker
02-11-2009, 03:53 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

War Nate!!!

NateR
02-11-2009, 04:53 PM
:blink:

Whats so fantastic about giving hardcore terrorists the same rights we have?

Shutting down Guantanamo was purely political, and as of right now it tells us nothing of Obama's ability to keep his word.

Exactly, he's only promised to shut down Guantanamo, he hasn't actually shut anything down yet.

Jonlion
02-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Actually, they were playing Ben10, which I'm not a huge fan of, so I had no problem changing it.

Back to the hyperinflation, when Germany started printing money out of control, prices skyrocketed to unbelievable levels almost overnight.

This is a 50 Mark note, which could buy 25 loaves of bread in 1920 (equivalent to our dollar, bread is about $2 a loaf right now).
http://www.romanbritain.freeserve.co.uk/hyperinflation_files/image007.jpg

This is a 5,000,000,000 Mark note (that's 5 billion). In November 1923, you would have needed 40 of these to buy a single loaf of bread (equivalent to $90 billion for one loaf of bread).
http://www.romanbritain.freeserve.co.uk/hyperinflation_files/image011.jpg

Within hours, you would have needed 80 of these to buy half a loaf of bread. That's how quickly it can all fall apart.

There were many factors that played into the collapse of the German economy, but the basic premise is sound: If you print too much worthless money, eventually ALL of your money becomes worthless.

Great times if you have borrowed a lot!

Our government talks about the same thing and whenever anyone mentions the line "print money" i start to lose all faith in the economy, i mean its the road to ruin surely!

I mean, so far i have lost about $2000 in shares i had and lost about $1500 in a bonus i usually enjoy, so i am for sure feeling the pinch of the credit crunch but the media, the politicians all conspire to make it so gloomy, that im actually not that much worse off than i was last year or the year before but all their scare mongering makes me feel poorer when i am around the same.

Thats what irks me, is it really all that bad?

County Mike
02-12-2009, 02:33 AM
I'm not poor in a week to week status. However, my retirement fund's value has been cut in half in a very short period. Hopefully, it will bounce back before I'm at retirement age.

kyle
02-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Exactly, he's only promised to shut down Guantanamo, he hasn't actually shut anything down yet.

Not to mention he doesn't have a plan for the terrorist after or if he closes Gitmo.:scared0015::unsure-1:

Closing Gitmo = terrorist will take this as a win :angry:

Keep Gitmo open = A place them SOB's that want to kill Americans can rot the rest of their life. :punch: