PDA

View Full Version : VA, NJ & NY 23

VCURamFan
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
It's election day people, & the referendum on Obama's last 10 months is on. There has been a 20pnt swing from Democrats to conservatives in these three races since last year.

VCURamFan
11-03-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/02/AR2009110203476.html?hpid=topnews
1) INDEPENDENTS
As pundits try Wednesday to spin the results forward to what they might mean for 2010 contests, perhaps the biggest thing to watch will be the vote among political independents, a growing and influential share of the national electorate. In late polling, Republican Robert F. McDonnell had a large lead among these voters; a decisive margin here would echo widely.

2) THE OBAMA FACTOR
Another key to thinking about upcoming elections is how much of a role that views about President Obama will affect voters. In a Washington Post poll last week, 70 percent of Virginia voters said that Obama was not a factor in their choice for governor. The rest were divided about equally between saying they would vote to express support of or opposition to the president. Look for what network exit polls will show.

3) REGIONAL VOTE
Democrats have won recent statewide elections by securing about 60 percent of the vote in Northern Virginia. R. Creigh Deeds, a state senator from the rural west, was supposed to lift his party's chances "downstate," but the latest Post poll shows him trailing because of a big deficit outside Northern Virginia, even as he runs solidly in the Washington suburbs. If those patterns hold on Election Day, they will scuttle many of the assumptions strategists have made over the past decade.

4) VOTE MARGIN
Can McDonnell maintain his double-digit lead in the polls? Democrats won the last two gubernatorial elections by seven points (Gov. Timothy M. Kaine in 2005) and five (Mark Warner in 2001). Ten or more would mark a significant victory.

5) TURNOUT
The actual vote tally matters. Turnout in the last two contests was well below 50 percent; if it drops further, so too may the strength of Virginia as a predictor of what might happen elsewhere next year. Only two Virginia governors have ever received a million votes -- Kaine in 2005 and George Allen in 1993.

6) "SURGE VOTERS"
Election analysts will be closely tuned to another aspect of turnout: which groups of voters cast ballots. A year ago, voters younger than 30 made up 21 percent of the electorate, and African Americans were 20 percent, with both groups critical to Obama winning the state. In pre-election polls, these voters appear largely disengaged this time around. Can a late get-out-the-vote drive and Obama's appearance last week in Norfolk influence the make-up of voters?

7) A SWEEP?
here have been far fewer polls in the lieutenant governor and attorney general races, but Republican candidates appear to have the edge. Should Republicans -- or Democrats in a major upset -- win all three statewide contests, the victory would be particularly decisive and boost the party's prospects for implementing state policy.

8) THE EXIT POLL
Apart from the official vote tally, the best data source will be the exit poll conducted by Edison Research for The Post and other media organizations. In Virginia, exit pollsters will interview randomly selected voters as they leave 40 voting locations. Preliminary numbers from this poll might be available early Tuesday evening; the numbers become more reliable as they are meshed with actual vote returns. Solid results should be available between nine and 10 Tuesday night.

Crisco
11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I think this is less to do with Obama and more to do with Corzine is one of the worst governers we have had in a very long time.

I don't like Christie because he is also against giving the people gun rights.

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 03:49 AM
We did it! The GOP swept the VA executive branch:

Governor - Bob McDonnell
Lieutenant Governor - Bill Bolling
Attorney General - Ken Cuccinelli

Also, Chris Christie took NJ. Now we're just waiting to see if Doug Hoffman can come from behind & take NY district 23.

J.B.
11-04-2009, 05:53 AM
No matter what, Obama is still wearing his favorite T-Shirt tonight

http://www.spencersonline.com/images/spencers/products/processed/02091643.zoom.a.jpg

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 01:51 PM
No matter what, Obama is still wearing his favorite T-Shirt tonight

http://www.spencersonline.com/images/spencers/products/processed/02091643.zoom.a.jpg
Agreed. What I will enjoy for the next week or so is watching how the Democratic pundits/politicians try to spin this.

J.B.
11-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Agreed. What I will enjoy for the next week or so is watching how the Democratic pundits/politicians try to spin this.

I think we are definitely seeing the effects of Obamamania starting to wear off, and if things don't get a lot better in the next year or so, we will see even more support slip for Obama. I just don't see any other candidates right now who are really going to be able to compete with him. It's gonna take a pretty smooth character to beat Obama, probably somebody who is already a celebrity for something else outside of politics, and NOT Ted Nugent.

rearnakedchoke
11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I think we are definitely seeing the effects of Obamamania starting to wear off, and if things don't get a lot better in the next year or so, we will see even more support slip for Obama. I just don't see any other candidates right now who are really going to be able to compete with him. It's gonna take a pretty smooth character to beat Obama, probably somebody who is already a celebrity for something else outside of politics, and NOT Ted Nugent.

Too bad Ahhnold was born in the USA like Obama was, or he could have run ...

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 03:20 PM
They're already trying to spin NY 23 as a failing on the Republicans' part for being foolish enough to run 2 candidates. Considering the millions of dollars that both Owens & Scoojaouheoihf (sp?) spent blast Hoffman the Accountant out of the race, to only win by 3-4% is laughable.

Don't foget that even after she dropped out of the race (and still managed to pull 5% of the vote somehow:wacko:) Socjaiusht (sp?) even campaigned for the Deomcrat Owens & he stilled barely won.

It's almost as crazy as Bloomberg forcing the City Council to repeal a long standing law so that he could run for a third term, spending $100mil of his own money on the campaign & only beating a nobody by 5%.

Yeah, the Conservative Tea-Party wackos are defeated!!:happydancing:

J.B.
11-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Too bad Ahhnold was born in the USA like Obama was, or he could have run ...

It would have to be somebody much more low key than the Terminator, yet somebody who is not perceived as another dirty politician.

I think a celebrity like Arnold is a bit too over-exposed to really be a successful politician. The general population are always going to look at him and think of his movies. Not to mention, even blind people who have never actually "seen" his movies would automatically think of his movies just because of his crazy voice. :laugh:

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 03:44 PM
It would have to be somebody much more low key than the Terminator, yet somebody who is not perceived as another dirty politician.

I think a celebrity like Arnold is a bit too over-exposed to really be a successful politician. The general population are always going to look at him and think of his movies. Not to mention, even blind people who have never actually "seen" his movies would automatically think of his movies just because of his crazy voice. :laugh:
I think a Chuck Norris/Jet Li ticket would be perfect!!

rearnakedchoke
11-04-2009, 03:53 PM

I am sure that some people thought the same of Ronald Reagan when he was running ... I am too young to remember, but you are rght, Arnold is a bigger celeb and his campaign ads would have line's from his movies like "Obama, Hasta La Vista Baby" or "Don't worry cahlifornya .. i'll be back .. in 8 years" ... would be quite interesting ... LOL

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I am sure that some people thought the same of Ronald Reagan when he was running ... I am too young to remember, but you are rght, Arnold is a bigger celeb and his campaign ads would have line's from his movies like "Obama, Hasta La Vista Baby" or "Don't worry cahlifornya .. i'll be back .. in 8 years" ... would be quite interesting ... LOL
"The Economy: It's Not a Tumor!!"

Crisco
11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Lets run Mccain WITHOUT a super conservative runningmate.

If not for Palin turning off the moderate voters Mccain would have been had a great shot at beating Obama.

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Lets run a super conservative runningmate WITHOUT Mccain.

If not for Mccain turning off the conservative voters Palin would have been had a great shot at beating Obama.
Fixed.

I'm sick of the Republican party believing that we need to rush to the center in order to win. Gallup Polls show that Conservatives make up 40% of the nation, while Liberals are only 21% (Gallup.com (http://www.gallup.com/poll/120857/conservatives-single-largest-ideological-group.aspx)). That's a 2-1 margin. Yesterday's election saw the independents flocking to the GOP here in VA because our candidates were running solid, old-fashioned, conservative campaigns & that resonated with the voters who are sick of the liberal hooey that's been crammed down their throats for years. We weren't trying to woo them with moderate policies that drift closer & closer to liberalism, we were adamant that we needed to be social & economic conservative & we won by more than 17 points.

If necessary, we need to take a page from Doug Hoffman's book & if the Republican party picks a sub-par candidate, we run our own, truly conservative candidate instead.

Crisco
11-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Fixed.

I'm sick of the Republican party believing that we need to rush to the center in order to win. Gallup Polls show that Conservatives make up 40% of the nation, while Liberals are only 25% (Gallup.com (http://www.gallup.com/poll/120857/conservatives-single-largest-ideological-group.aspx)). Yesterday's election saw the independents flocking to the GOP here in VA because our candidates were running solid, old-fashioned, conservative campaigns & that resonated with the voters who are sick of the liberal hooey that's been crammed down their throats for years.

If necessary, we need to take a page from Doug Hoffman's book & if the Republican party picks a sub-par candidate, we run our own, truly conservative candidate instead.

The problem is ben you have to look to the electoral college not just how many people are conservatives there champ.

In order to win a campaign against a super charismatic D-bag such as Obama you cannot try to win with purely conservative campaign. IT WILL NOT WORK.

The conservatives would vote for Mccain no matter who his running mate was because they would not vote for Obama. However, some of the people swayed to Obama where swayed because of Mccains choice of running mate.

J.B.
11-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Lets run Mccain WITHOUT a super conservative runningmate.

If not for Palin turning off the moderate voters Mccain would have been had a great shot at beating Obama.

It's not Palin's fault.

The undeniable reason that Obama won this election was the young and black voters. Obama is much more appealing to the general idiot than John McCain. To them it basically looked like this...

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/l/i_am_legend_2_191207/will_smith_1705352.jpg

VS

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/images/John%20McCain.jpg

Fresh Prince wins every time.

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 04:21 PM
The problem is ben you have to look to the electoral college not just how many people are conservatives there champ.

In order to win a campaign against a super charismatic D-bag such as Obama you cannot try to win with purely conservative campaign. IT WILL NOT WORK.

The conservatives would vote for Mccain no matter who his running mate was because they would not vote for Obama. However, some of the people swayed to Obama where swayed because of his choice of running mate.
Yeah, but as Nate has attested to many times, others were swayed to voting for McCain because of Palin. Believe me, after 4yrs of this malarky, people are going to begging for a fiscal (not to mention social) conservative to step in and clean up the royal mess Obama will have made. The Tea Parties began after only a couple of months of the Obama Presidency & it led to one of the bluest states in US history turning bright red. Imagine what another 36months of this Obamarchy will do,

Crisco
11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah, but as Nate has attested to many times, others were swayed to voting for McCain because of Palin. Believe me, after 4yrs of this malarky, people are going to begging for a fiscal (not to mention social) conservative to step in and clean up the royal mess Obama will have made. The Tea Parties began after only a couple of months of the Obama Presidency & it led to one of the bluest states in US history turning bright red. Imagine what another 36months of this Obamarchy will do,

Hope your right brother

Crisco
11-04-2009, 04:24 PM
However, I have to say I lost a lot of respect for Palin when she resigned as Governer.

She showed she was either greedy for cash or that she was way to soft to even think about being President.

You can't cry because a comedian made a joke about your kid. Imagine what would happen if she was President? They would eat her alive.

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Hope your right brother
We'll see. In 12months we'll get to find out if the rest of the country feels the same way about Obama as you & I do, but for now, let's enjoy the fact that at least we've managed to talk some sense into our own states!:happydancing:

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
However, I have to say I lost a lot of respect for Palin when she resigned as Governer.

She showed she was either greedy for cash or that she was way to soft to even think about being President.

You can't cry because a comedian made a joke about your kid. Imagine what would happen if she was President? They would eat her alive.
I think that's over-simplifying that, Chris. It wasn't just a joke about her kid. He said her under-age daughter was in the back having sex with a total stranger. If a comedian called my daughter a whore, no matter her age, my rank, or his popularity, you better believe that I'd have an "emotional" reaction to what he said.:punch:

Crisco
11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
I think that's over-simplifying that, Chris. It wasn't just a joke about her kid. He said her under-age daughter was in the back having sex with a total stranger. If a comedian called my daughter a whore, no matter her age, my rank, or his popularity, you better believe that I'd have an "emotional" reaction to what he said.:punch:

Sure but resigning because your distracted by all the media attention?

She quit brother. You need to be strong in politics ESPECIALLY if you want to be considered oval office material.

resigning was a bad idea and it looks poorly on her. She can spin how she wants but it just screams I can't handle the pressure.

VCURamFan
11-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Sure but resigning because your distracted by all the media attention?

She quit brother. You need to be strong in politics ESPECIALLY if you want to be considered oval office material.

resigning was a bad idea and it looks poorly on her. She can spin how she wants but it just screams I can't handle the pressure.
Yeah, I'm kinda non-plussed by that decision, too. I'd be shocked if she tried to mount a presidential run.

J.B.
11-04-2009, 04:49 PM

Hang on, that's really easy to say from the sidelines, but there is more than one way of thinking on that issue.

Palin's personal celebrity had grown to a point where it's probably better for the state of Alaska that she did step down. I don't think she was too soft at all, I think she made a decision that fit not only her best interests but the state of Alaska's as well. David Letterman is a first rate ass-clown and a pathetic display of FAIL that does not even remotely resemble comedy. Palin was right to stand up against Letterman.

If it was your daughter, I bet you would like to punch Letterman right in his jaw, am I right? I know I would. People who are public figures or leaders are still human, and they still have a right to defend themselves and their family from lying reporters and ignorant fools like Letterman. I don't think she was too over the top about it, she called him out, and he apologized. That was that. I think Palin also showed that she had pretty thick skin during the election, especially by going on Saturday Night Live with Tina Fey.

Crisco
11-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Hang on, that's really easy to say from the sidelines, but there is more than one way of thinking on that issue.

Palin's personal celebrity had grown to a point where it's probably better for the state of Alaska that she did step down. I don't think she was too soft at all, I think she made a decision that fit not only her best interests but the state of Alaska's as well. David Letterman is a first rate ass-clown and a pathetic display of FAIL that does not even remotely resemble comedy. Palin was right to stand up against Letterman.

If it was your daughter, I bet you would like to punch Letterman right in his jaw, am I right? I know I would. People who are public figures or leaders are still human, and they still have a right to defend themselves and their family from lying reporters and ignorant fools like Letterman. I don't think she was too over the top about it, she called him out, and he apologized. That was that. I think Palin also showed that she had pretty thick skin during the election, especially by going on Saturday Night Live with Tina Fey.

So if she was President and the cameras where always in her face it would be different? It wouldn't be as big deal because she is President instead of governer?

It would be in the best interest of nation if she stepped down as President because people write about her?

I dunno bout that one JB.

If she is still willing to be President then you can't deny that she didn't take her job as governer seriously.

rearnakedchoke
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM

To be fair, the joke was intended to be about the pregnant daughter, not the baby ... and in the end, the real joke was supposed to be something like, had Palin's daughter been an intern on the show, the host woulda probably had been the one that knocked her up ...

rearnakedchoke
11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
"The Economy: It's Not a Tumor!!"

Oh, that is good ...

J.B.
11-04-2009, 05:52 PM
So if she was President and the cameras where always in her face it would be different? It wouldn't be as big deal because she is President instead of governer?

It would be in the best interest of nation if she stepped down as President because people write about her?

I dunno bout that one JB.

If she is still willing to be President then you can't deny that she didn't take her job as governer seriously.

First off, I said nothing about Palin being President, but I will bite...:wink:

It's pretty easy to understand. If she is interested in doing something else in politics, such as run for president, then the amount of attention being drawn to her ends up putting her on such a stage that the SHE becomes the main center of attention and NOT the issues facing people in Alaska. That's when it would become in her and the states best interest to resign. Did you ever stop and think that maybe she has no interest in being President at this point and just wants the circus to be over?

Being the President is much different than running a state. Just because she felt it was time for her to resign as Governor does not mean she was not taking her job seriously. If you have too much going on in your outside life to do the job to the best of your abilities then it is the right decision to step down. It is much more respectable, and actually shows a lot more character to do that than to try and continue and end up making big mistakes that hurt the state.

If she ever got back into politics down the road, I would not hold it against her. Now, I am not saying that I would necessarily vote for or against her, but I don't think she has much of a chance of ever becoming President, and I think she knows it.

J.B.
11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
To be fair, the joke was intended to be about the pregnant daughter, not the baby ...

So what?

Should that make Sarah Palin or her husband LESS angry?

Again, take out the Palin's and insert yourself. If some ass-hat comedian said that about your daughter, would you get mad?

Crisco
11-04-2009, 06:06 PM
First off, I said nothing about Palin being President, but I will bite...:wink:

It's pretty easy to understand. If she is interested in doing something else in politics, such as run for president, then the amount of attention being drawn to her ends up putting her on such a stage that the SHE becomes the main center of attention and NOT the issues facing people in Alaska. That's when it would become in her and the states best interest to resign. Did you ever stop and think that maybe she has no interest in being President at this point and just wants the circus to be over?

Being the President is much different than running a state. Just because she felt it was time for her to resign as Governor does not mean she was not taking her job seriously. If you have too much going on in your outside life to do the job to the best of your abilities then it is the right decision to step down. It is much more respectable, and actually shows a lot more character to do that than to try and continue and end up making big mistakes that hurt the state.

If she ever got back into politics down the road, I would not hold it against her. Now, I am not saying that I would necessarily vote for or against her, but I don't think she has much of a chance of ever becoming President, and I think she knows it.

I never said you did :)

I';m saying IF she runs and IF she ever won

Being an elected official is not like a normal job. You don't get to just quit when you feel like it. That shows bad character.

Sorry man she copped out when she couldn't cut it.

The pressure got to her it seems. When she was a running mate she was fine with it but when it became time to be the lowly governer again she decided it wasn't worth it.

J.B.
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I never said you did :)

I';m saying IF she runs and IF she ever won

Being an elected official is not like a normal job. You don't get to just quit when you feel like it. That shows bad character.

Sorry man she copped out when she couldn't cut it.

The pressure got to her it seems. When she was a running mate she was fine with it but when it became time to be the lowly governer again she decided it wasn't worth it.

I don't think you need to worry about those IF statements, because they are both quite unlikely at this point.

You are certainly entitled to believe whatever you like about Sarah Palin, but the facts are pretty simple and this is how politics works. Yes, being an elected official is not like a normal job. I think we all know that. However, being elected to run a state is much different than being elected to run the country on literally a countless number of levels, so it's not even really a fair comparison.

Remember, being a Governor is a lot more day to day than say being a Senator or a Congressman. You are basically the leader of the entire state. So, when you get selected to run for VP of the country and go through what was probably the most hyped and nastiest election in our country's history, it's easy to see how the backlash after the fact can make it hard to live up to your day to day duties. Especially when you have to answer constant questions about today's latest BS article, written by some hack looking to drum up interest in his failing website or newspaper. I don't think Palin quit for the reasons you think she did, I think it was just something that was inevitable, and ultimately the best decision for all given the circumstances.

Basically, the politics surrounding the whole thing is much bigger than just not wanting to be a "lowly" Governor, but that's not how the liberal media will spin it because Palin is still a good target for them. They attack her because they know that to the mindless sheep who are ignorant to current affairs, she represents what conservatives are. They try to play her up as the poster child for conservatives and then destroy her character. It's a tactic that both sides use all the time. Had she not resigned, the libtards would have likely spun it into her being too distracted by her new found celebrity status to actually govern Alaska. When she did resign, they just took the bait and started saying she was a quitter. It's a no win situation.

Crisco
11-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm not a libtard. I think she should have toughed it out.

It speaks more to your character to carry through the bull****.

That's just my opinion of course :)

J.B.
11-04-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm not a libtard. I think she should have toughed it out.

It speaks more to your character to carry through the bull****.

That's just my opinion of course :)

I don't think YOU are a libtard, I was talking about the liberal media spin-doctors and the zealots who buy into everything they spew.

I thought our elected leaders were supposed to act in the best interests of the country and of their states? If there are outside forces making it hard to fulfill your duties as Governor, is it not in the best interest of the state to step aside and let somebody else take over? It's also important to remember that any sort of constant negative attention, be it true or false, reflects poorly on the state and it's entire government. That's exactly why so many politicians step down at the very hint of a scandal, not all do, but the ones who are smart do. With the amount of attention Palin is receiving, it was only a matter of time before the media found a way to make her look guilty of something else, thus bringing more negative attention to Alaska.

I understand your point completely, and I'm not saying you are wrong about toughing things out when it comes to the media. In fact I think Palin toughed it out quite well. There comes a point though when you have to look at the bigger picture and I think that is what she is doing. That also speaks a lot to a person's character. Think about it. :)

Crisco
11-04-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't think YOU are a libtard, I was talking about the liberal media spin-doctors and the zealots who buy into everything they spew.

I thought our elected leaders were supposed to act in the best interests of the country and of their states? If there are outside forces making it hard to fulfill your duties as Governor, is it not in the best interest of the state to step aside and let somebody else take over? It's also important to remember that any sort of constant negative attention, be it true or false, reflects poorly on the state and it's entire government. That's exactly why so many politicians step down at the very hint of a scandal, not all do, but the ones who are smart do. With the amount of attention Palin is receiving, it was only a matter of time before the media found a way to make her look guilty of something else, thus bringing more negative attention to Alaska.

I understand your point completely, and I'm not saying you are wrong about toughing things out when it comes to the media. In fact I think Palin toughed it out quite well. There comes a point though when you have to look at the bigger picture and I think that is what she is doing. That also speaks a lot to a person's character. Think about it. :)

Agree to disagree?

=)

J.B.
11-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Agree to disagree?

=)

It's all good, but I'm marking a "W" down on this one :tongue0011:

Crisco
11-04-2009, 08:42 PM

You can mark whatever you want on your paper after the teacher gives it back but it don't change your GPA :tongue0011:

rearnakedchoke
11-04-2009, 08:42 PM
So what?

Should that make Sarah Palin or her husband LESS angry?

Again, take out the Palin's and insert yourself. If some ass-hat comedian said that about your daughter, would you get mad?

meh ... if I am in the spotlight, that just comes with the territory... sure it would suck that people make fun of other's downfalls, but it is life ... i don't worry about what people who don't matter say, especially if it is stupid junk ... but that is just me ...

J.B.
11-04-2009, 08:50 PM
You can mark whatever you want on your paper after the teacher gives it back but it don't change your GPA :tongue0011:

lulz :laugh:

my days of having a GPA are long gone, but my win/loss record in pointless internet debates is pretty shiny and fun to look at. :rolleyes:

Neezar
11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Agree to disagree?

=)

:laugh:

J.B.
11-04-2009, 09:03 PM
meh ... if I am in the spotlight, that just comes with the territory... sure it would suck that people make fun of other's downfalls, but it is life ... i don't worry about what people who don't matter say, especially if it is stupid junk ... but that is just me ...

People's downfalls?

Letterman basically called her daughter a whore on national television... That is not "making fun", that is being a total dick. How do you think her kids felt with the way the media and the tabloids hounded them? Do you think that is right? Do you think it doesn't matter, so it can be blown off? News flash, when you are a celebrity, it can be very harmful to your career when you become the target of extreme pundits and the butt of late night television host's jokes day in and day out.

If you say you wouldn't care, you are either lying, or extremely different than most people. Most people have a lot of pride and love for their children, and most people would knock the dudes teeth out if it was their daughter. The fact that somebody is in the spotlight does not mean they are supposed to sit back and let people crap all over them and their family. Sure, some things are to be expected, but a lot of stuff is blatantly over the line and it can be damaging to not only the reputation of the person, but to their entire family as well. You can say it comes with the territory, but that is no excuse, period.

If a person like Sarah Palin is a celebrity in the spotlight and they get attacked by somebody, they have every right to stand up for themselves, and they even have MORE of an opportunity to do it than average people do. How anybody could possibly fault Sarah Palin for calling Letterman out is beyond me. Did defending your family's honor go out of style or something? I mean it's not like it was some little news article that nobody read that got buried in the slew of stories penned about her, this was David Letterman. Then he tried to make a backhanded apology and invited her to be a guest his show, which he also suggested that she could "leave Todd at home". Yeah, wonder what the horndog had in mind with that comment. Letterman is a major douche.

NateR
11-04-2009, 09:17 PM
How anybody could possibly fault Sarah Palin for calling Letterman out is beyond me. Did defending your family's honor go out of style?

Agreed. Claiming that she was showing weakness or being a crybaby for standing up for her daughter's virtue is just idiotic. If anything, I have more respect for her because of her stand against that idiot Letterman.

Crisco
11-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Agreed. Claiming that she was showing weakness or being a crybaby for standing up for her daughter's virtue is just idiotic. If anything, I have more respect for her because of her stand against that idiot Letterman.

I'm all for going back at letterman.

I was meaning more of her choice of resignation.

NateR
11-04-2009, 09:25 PM

I was meaning more of her choice of resignation.

I don't really hold that against her. I know other people will, but I don't. I would like to see her run for President.

Crisco
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't really hold that against her. I know other people will, but I don't. I would like to see her run for President.

Not in anyway being a douche here..

I'm geniunly curious as to why you would like to see her as President?

J.B.
11-04-2009, 09:27 PM

You can't cry because a comedian made a joke about your kid.

donaldbreland
11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I have two words for ya. Mike Huckabee

J.B.
11-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I have two words for ya. Mike Huckabee

Huckabee seems like a decent guy, but I doubt he will rally the support needed to slay the Obamamonster

Plus I'm still not sold on letting Bass Players in the White House. :unsure-1:

Crisco
11-04-2009, 09:57 PM

What I ment when I said that was you can't let a joke by a comedian be a deciding factor in your resignation.

J.B.
11-04-2009, 10:38 PM
What I ment when I said that was you can't let a joke by a comedian be a deciding factor in your resignation.

But you are assuming that the joke was a deciding factor and neither Palin, nor anybody else around her said that it was, at least not that I am aware of.

She said that it was because of the amount of frivolous ethics complaints they had to combat since she took on running for VP, and that the state of Alaska was basically spending tax money on her coming to work everyday and defending herself.

That seems like a very reasonable explanation, and without some sort of "smoking gun" piece of evidence, I have no reason to think otherwise.

NateR
11-04-2009, 11:24 PM
She said that it was because of the amount of frivolous ethics complaints they had to combat since she took on running for VP, and that the state of Alaska was basically spending tax money on her coming to work everyday and defending herself.

That's pretty much what I heard. I never thought for a moment that her resignation was a result of Letterman's joke. I also seem to recall her saying that, since she did not intend to run for Governor of Alaska again, it was pointless for her to stay in office as a lame duck and she could accomplish much more if she simply resigned her position.

rearnakedchoke
11-05-2009, 12:54 AM
People's downfalls?

Letterman basically called her daughter a whore on national television... That is not "making fun", that is being a total dick. How do you think her kids felt with the way the media and the tabloids hounded them? Do you think that is right? Do you think it doesn't matter, so it can be blown off? News flash, when you are a celebrity, it can be very harmful to your career when you become the target of extreme pundits and the butt of late night television host's jokes day in and day out.

If you say you wouldn't care, you are either lying, or extremely different than most people. Most people have a lot of pride and love for their children, and most people would knock the dudes teeth out if it was their daughter. The fact that somebody is in the spotlight does not mean they are supposed to sit back and let people crap all over them and their family. Sure, some things are to be expected, but a lot of stuff is blatantly over the line and it can be damaging to not only the reputation of the person, but to their entire family as well. You can say it comes with the territory, but that is no excuse, period.

If a person like Sarah Palin is a celebrity in the spotlight and they get attacked by somebody, they have every right to stand up for themselves, and they even have MORE of an opportunity to do it than average people do. How anybody could possibly fault Sarah Palin for calling Letterman out is beyond me. Did defending your family's honor go out of style or something? I mean it's not like it was some little news article that nobody read that got buried in the slew of stories penned about her, this was David Letterman. Then he tried to make a backhanded apology and invited her to be a guest his show, which he also suggested that she could "leave Todd at home". Yeah, wonder what the horndog had in mind with that comment. Letterman is a major douche.

i didn't mean downfall, i meant something else ... i mean, she is a running mate for the conservative party and her daughter gets pregnant out of wedlock ... so people are going to jump all over it ... especially opportunistic slimeballs like the media (i don't consider these guy comedians) ... i mean, you have to look at the source .. we are talking about a guy who himself can't stay faithful to his wife and slams any intern that walks through the door ... if obama's platform was taking shots at palin's family, that would be out of line, but it was some douche who makes a living off of people screwing up ...

rearnakedchoke
11-05-2009, 12:58 AM

i wouldn't mind seeing her run either ... i don't know why people had an issue with her .... she was able to hold her own ..... but like i said before .. the only person that can stop obama is B-O-B-B-Y "Digital" Jindal ...

donaldbreland
11-05-2009, 02:04 AM
We need a man with Strong Christian Values in office. I wonder who that could be hmmmmmmm. Oh I know. Mike Huckabee 2012

J.B.
11-05-2009, 02:42 AM
i didn't mean downfall, i meant something else ... i mean, she is a running mate for the conservative party and her daughter gets pregnant out of wedlock ... so people are going to jump all over it ... especially opportunistic slimeballs like the media (i don't consider these guy comedians) ... i mean, you have to look at the source .. we are talking about a guy who himself can't stay faithful to his wife and slams any intern that walks through the door ... if obama's platform was taking shots at palin's family, that would be out of line, but it was some douche who makes a living off of people screwing up ...

I agree with you about Lettermen being a slimeball, and I think people knew that even before this scandal with his interns.

I don't think it matters if her daughter got pregnant out of wedlock. That is nobody's business but their family. Of course people are going to jump on it, but even though it's not Obama saying the stuff, it still hurts Palin and her family. It's not just Letterman either, the Palin's have become tabloid stars. That kid Levi Johnston is all over the place now, doing commercials, and magazines like Playgirl. This kind of stuff is ridiculous, and it's all driven by people in the media to make money off the people who will buy into that kind of gossip and hoopla. The problem is not looking like hypocrite for something a minute as your daughter getting pregnant out of wedlock, the problem is the sensationalist media who will print anything to make a buck and the morons who spread it.

The reason the Letterman thing came up is because Crisco brought it up in reference to why she resigned. I think it's important to point out that Palin's response to Letterman was not really much of anything but a short statement in which she called it "perverted" and said he would likely not say that about somebody else's daughter. That's not really crying about it, and I probably would have been a bit harsher in my personal response, but that's just me.

Crisco
11-05-2009, 10:16 PM
After researching more on the subject I've come to apologize as I feel my opinion was misplaced.

In retrospect and after doing more research I've decided it was probably the right thing to do for the sake of the state.

I still would not vote for her but I can no longer fault her for resigning.

I have also decided that in the coming election if he chooses to run I will vote for Bobby Jindal.

J.B.
11-05-2009, 11:22 PM
After researching more on the subject I've come to apologize as I feel my opinion was misplaced.

In retrospect and after doing more research I've decided it was probably the right thing to do for the sake of the state.

I still would not vote for her but I can no longer fault her for resigning.

I have also decided that in the coming election if he chooses to run I will vote for Bobby Jindal.

I respect that you would actually post that Crisco. Most people would just ignore the topic before they would actually admit they changed their minds on something. :cool:

Crisco
11-05-2009, 11:39 PM
I respect that you would actually post that Crisco. Most people would just ignore the topic before they would actually admit they changed their minds on something. :cool:

Sometimes you just gotta sak up. :)

J.B.
11-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Sometimes you just gotta sak up. :)

Tru dat :)

(edit- looks like this was my 2000th post since the change over, and also the shortest post in my history on this forum. That is for those who are keeping baseball like statistics.)

Crisco
11-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Tru dat :)

(edit- looks like this was my 2000th post since the change over, and also the shortest post in my history on this forum. That is for those who are keeping baseball like statistics.)

Hey bro do you know anything about Bobby Jindal?

I've read a bit on him and the guys really sounds awesome. I was surprised so I want to try and find some dirt on him to balance it out.

Who's your pick for 2012?

donaldbreland
11-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I would love to see a Mccain/ Huckabee or Huckabee/Mccain

J.B.
11-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Hey bro do you know anything about Bobby Jindal?

I've read a bit on him and the guys really sounds awesome. I was surprised so I want to try and find some dirt on him to balance it out.

Who's your pick for 2012?

I don't really have a pick for 2012 right now, it's still too far off.

I have seen Jindal speak, and I know a little bit about him. He seems cool, and very well spoken, but I am not sure if he can really get enough support to match Obama. Plus, if he does actually decide to run for president, you can be sure that some sort of skeletons will be drug out of his closet, but what those are remains to be seen.

J.B.
11-06-2009, 11:27 PM
I would love to see a Mccain/ Huckabee or Huckabee/Mccain

I don't think McCain will ever run again, and I highly doubt he would ever be somebody's running mate. I like John McCain, and I think he would have won if he was running against Hillary Clinton, but Obama is just too smooth and too marketable.

donaldbreland
11-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Just where do you see Obama being smooth. He jumped on stage and told a bunch of lies. I think we have a small chance at seeing mccain run again.

Also we don't need another Obama in office in 2012 and that's who Bobby Jindal remindes me of. I just hope we have someone with a normal last name. Not a muslim sounding name.

donaldbreland
11-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Bobby Jindal looks like a muslim lol. He remindes me of a doctor for some reason.

VCURamFan
11-06-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't think McCain will ever run again, and I highly doubt he would ever be somebody's running mate. I like John McCain, and I think he would have won if he was running against Hillary Clinton, but Obama is just too smooth and too marketable.
And that, ladies & gents, is what the '08 election boiled down to: McCain was campaigning, Obama was marketing.

donaldbreland
11-06-2009, 11:36 PM
I know he was brought up in a hindu household but converted to Christianity. Thats a good thing.

donaldbreland
11-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Jindal was Hindu, then converted to Christianity in high school and then in college was baptized Roman Catholic. he converts to dang much for me. I don't want him as my president.

J.B.
11-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Just where do you see Obama being smooth. He jumped on stage and told a bunch of lies. I think we have a small chance at seeing mccain run again.

Also we don't need another Obama in office in 2012 and that's who Bobby Jindal remindes me of. I just hope we have someone with a normal last name. Not a muslim sounding name.

In case you forgot, Obama got elected. Yes, Obama is smooth, he is very smooth. McCain is 73 years old and he has already tried running twice, I highly doubt he runs again.

As for your last comment about Jindal's name, it is that type of mentality that will ultimately hurt the GOP's chances of being taken seriously when it comes to candidates that are not old white men. The left already tries to paint conservatives as racists at every chance they get, and then we hand them the ammo by saying stuff like that.

donaldbreland
11-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Man you should have to be of American descent in order to become a President. I dont think anyone with the last name Jindal or Obama is good for our country based upon the fact that we are at war with people of their kind. If that makes me a racist then so be it. I want this country safe again. I want it the way it was back when Regan was president.

donaldbreland
11-07-2009, 12:23 AM
My original comment about Jindal was that he looks like a doctor. The muslim thing was too far and for that I regret but we don't need someone who converts religion every 10 years to be our president. We need someone who will stand up and fight back for our rights and freedom. We need someone with balls. There is only two out there right now. Well three. One being Mark Sanford.
I know we will have people saying crap about his affair but he manned up and told the truth and landed boeing in South Carolina. The biggest deal for more job in South Carolinas History. He did it with his affair and him in the media. The other two would be Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee. The only other person I would like to see run is Colin Powell.

J.B.
11-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Man you should have to be of American descent in order to become a President. I dont think anyone with the last name Jindal or Obama is good for our country based upon the fact that we are at war with people of their kind. If that makes me a racist then so be it. I want this country safe again. I want it the way it was back when Regan was president.

Their kind?

We are not at war with Africa or India, and weather you like it or not they were born here and they ARE Americans. We are at war with an extreme group of people, not people like Obama or Jindal and trying to say otherwise is just nonsense. Hey, I liked Regan too, but he is dead and we have had 4 Presidents since then, it's time to think about the present and the future.

Wasting time with stupid crap like the color of their skin or the orgin of their name (two things they have no control over), is only going to make conservatives look worse than they already do. Conservatives need to worry about combating the current administration and getting their approval ratings back up with the general public. Who cares if Jindal's parents were immigrants? Worry about the issues, not the hype.

donaldbreland
11-07-2009, 12:56 AM
I care about where someone comes from because I want this country to be ran by true americans. Someone with at least 4 generations of American Heritage in their blood line. I think Jindal is to new and I think he changes his vies a bit too much. I don't care if his last name was smith and he was a white guy. The fact that he changed his religion twice from what it was originally scares me. I think he only did that for political reasons.

Other then that you are right and again I am sorry for the comments.

J.B.
11-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I care about where someone comes from because I want this country to be ran by true americans. Someone with at least 4 generations of American Heritage in their blood line. I think Jindal is to new and I think he changes his vies a bit too much. I don't care if his last name was smith and he was a white guy. The fact that he changed his religion twice from what it was originally scares me. I think he only did that for political reasons.

Other then that you are right and again I am sorry for the comments.

Well, the thing is, it doesn't say anything about needing 4 generation of American heritage in your bloodline anywhere in the Constitution. If you are BORN here, you are an American. I realize a lot of people do not like that, but that is the way it is. Oh, and BTW, Obama's mom was from Kansas with a deep American heritage.

As for Jindal changing his religion, I have NO issue with that. The man is 38 years old and he converted to Christianity during high school. He was baptized as a Roman Catholic during his first year in college. That is not really changing your religion twice, seeing as how Catholicism is an offshoot of Christianity. I highly doubt he did it for political reasons, but you are welcome to your opinion.

donaldbreland
11-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Barak Obama came from a state with one of the highest crime rates in the country. Jindal is coming from a state with one of the highest crime rates in the country. We need someone who has done something for their home state. someone with a proven track record. That's something Jindal doesnt have yet. BUTTTTT. I think he would do better than Obama and for that simple reason I would vote for him if he had the better chance to win, just because I want Obama out.

J.B.
11-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Barak Obama came from a state with one of the highest crime rates in the country. Jindal is coming from a state with one of the highest crime rates in the country. We need someone who has done something for their home state. someone with a proven track record. That's something Jindal doesnt have yet. BUTTTTT. I think he would do better than Obama and for that simple reason I would vote for him if he had the better chance to win, just because I want Obama out.

I didn't vote for Obama, and I already said earlier in this thread that I have no pick for 2012 at this time. I agree that Jindal is relatively inexperienced, and that could be a problem for him if he does decide to run.

However, using crime rates is not always the best way to gauge the value of a politician's work. John McCain is from Arizona, and we have one of the highest crime rates in the country too, but McCain has actually done a LOT of good for Arizona. Obama did not really do much for Illinois, and I can actually personally speak to that because the last 10 years of my life have been spent living either here in Arizona or back in the Chicago area so I have been able to experience it first hand, lol.

Crisco
11-07-2009, 03:24 PM

So lets count out any politican from every state because every state has a high crime rate in some section or another.

It seems the way you pick your President is just as bad or worse as the Liberals.

He's the wrong color, Looks this way, Wrong last name, Converted to Christianity and he was lucky enough to be governer in a state with a HUGE crime problem that was that way FOREVER. That's like saying the next Mayor of NYC needs to be a able to turn it into a suburb crime rate or he sucks.

For real dude?

rearnakedchoke
11-07-2009, 03:43 PM

dude ... you are racist ... plain and simple ... if you won't vote for someone based on their last name or looks? than you are racist ... bobby jindal is just as american as you .. in fact, he is MORE AMERICAN .. he has done more for your country than you ... and so has Obama ... you are as un American as they come man ...

donaldbreland
11-07-2009, 09:16 PM
rearnakedchoke you're funny. I already said I was racist. I am just not racist towards blacks and people of color. I am racist towards people who do not like our country. I see your not from here. That doesnt mean I don't like you. I just don't see how you think Obama has done more than me. On the Jindal thing. I said I would vote for him over Obama. I can see you're an Obama supporter. He is a Marxist and he wants to change our country for the worst. By the way if you live in our country then your opinion matters. If not then it doesnt. Oh wait. That was a racial remark.

rearnakedchoke
11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
rearnakedchoke you're funny. I already said I was racist. I am just not racist towards blacks and people of color. I am racist towards people who do not like our country. I see your not from here. That doesnt mean I don't like you. I just don't see how you think Obama has done more than me. On the Jindal thing. I said I would vote for him over Obama. I can see you're an Obama supporter. He is a Marxist and he wants to change our country for the worst. By the way if you live in our country then your opinion matters. If not then it doesnt. Oh wait. That was a racial remark.

dude, even your fellow Americans think your wrong ..so guess what .. your opinion doesn't really count ... nothing you says matter, because you can't base any of your opinions on jindal or obama but their name, or colour of skin ... so really, your opinion doesn't count

donaldbreland
11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
THIS IS NOT ABOUT JINDAL. This is about OBAMA being a marxist. I will prove that too.

Buzzard
11-07-2009, 11:09 PM
THIS IS NOT ABOUT JINDAL. This is about OBAMA being a marxist. I will prove that too.

I normally see things differently than JB Rattlesnake and Crisco, but this time I do agree with them. What is up with you? You do more harm than good for your cause. Your views seem highly irrational, racist, and just plain wrong.

donaldbreland
11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
How do you say that. Because I'm talking about Obama. Look i already apologized to everyone on here about my actions over the last couple of days. I hardly see myself a racist. I care about my Country and was very hurt about what has happened. As I re read some of my posts I will admit that I was wrong. I do however get sick and tired of people not allowing white people the chance to voice their opinions without being called a racist. People who truly know me know that i am not a racist but they also know that I don't play it safe either. If it is on my mind I speak it. By the way Buzzard I'm glad your feeling better.

donaldbreland
11-07-2009, 11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDTluWDUBEY

donaldbreland
11-07-2009, 11:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihlVpYOdWZs&feature=related

This video sickens me.

mikthehick
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
It's election day people, & the referendum on Obama's last 10 months is on. There has been a 20pnt swing from Democrats to conservatives in these three races since last year.

I know I'm late to this party, but imo you'll see a gradual re-rise of the GOP in the next year.

Some of the same people who voted for Mr. Obama are now crapping themselves b/c they are seeing that this nation has no money right now (recession), we are in ridiculous debt, and usually, when you spend money you don't have, it puts you in precarious situations.

Just sayin.