PDA

View Full Version : French

MattHughesRocks
11-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I've decided that I want to learn French (it'll come in real handy one day in the wine dept at Trader Joe's, or if I ever get to talk to GSP :laugh:).
There are a million books, cd's,DVD's classes...tapes...so many things :blink:

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences in learning a new language other then in high school?

J.B.
11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I heard that "Rosetta Stone" program is pretty good

rearnakedchoke
11-03-2009, 03:57 PM
yeah . rosetta stone .. keep in mind that canadian french differs from french french, so gsp will probably understand you, but there may be some miscommunication ... your first lesson ...

bonjour georges ... je m'appelle matthughesrocks ... voulez vous coucher avec moi? ce soir?

MattHughesRocks
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-french

That would get really expensive :sad: I wonder if I can just get GSP to call me :unsure-1:

rearnakedchoke
11-03-2009, 04:06 PM

That would get really expensive :sad: I wonder if I can just get GSP to call me :unsure-1:

yeah, it is expensive ... go on e-bay or something like that and see ... you'd probably want to get the full thing so that you can ensure you are pronouncing thing correctly ...

lesson number 2 ... allo georges ... you can't andle my riddum (not french, but if you say it with a french accent, you are fine)

MattHughesRocks
11-03-2009, 04:13 PM
And there's always the French guy that works the wine section at Trader Joe's :laugh:
I'll keep looking around.Maybe it'll cost less to take classes at the local school.

yeah, it is expensive ... go on e-bay or something like that and see ... you'd probably want to get the full thing so that you can ensure you are pronouncing thing correctly ...

lesson number 2 ... allo georges ... you can't andle my riddum (not french, but if you say it with a french accent, you are fine)

J.B.
11-03-2009, 04:14 PM

You could always download it :ninja:

But that would be wrong and bad!!!:w00t:

MattHughesRocks
11-03-2009, 04:27 PM
The trouble is, I don't even know how to be wrong and bad. Otherwise I just will:unsure-1:

You could always download it :ninja:

But that would be wrong and bad!!!:w00t:

Max
11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
If you really are going to learn French you will want to learn their most commonly used phrase "Je me rends" "I surrender"

rearnakedchoke
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
If you really are going to learn French you will want to learn their most commonly used phrase "Je me rends" "I surrender"

ouch ...

flo
11-03-2009, 06:41 PM
GSP tutoring might be cheaper, lol!

But I've also heard Rosetta Stone is excellent.

flo
11-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Michelle, you can get it here, new, for $206.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001AFFPAE/ref=sr_1_olp_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1257273764&sr=8-2&condition=new

If you don't mind a used copy you can probably find it even cheaper...

MattHughesRocks
11-04-2009, 05:28 AM
I'll have to get back to you on this.

MattHughesRocks
11-04-2009, 05:29 AM
I'm going to seriously consider :happydancing:

Michelle, you can get it here, new, for $206.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001AFFPAE/ref=sr_1_olp_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1257273764&sr=8-2&condition=new

If you don't mind a used copy you can probably find it even cheaper...

MattHughesRocks
11-04-2009, 05:30 AM
:doh:
I'll have to get back to you on this.

J.B.
11-04-2009, 05:42 AM
I was poking around a few places after seeing this again, and I found some people who had downloaded Rosetta Stone for French and they think that it sucks compared to Pimsleur...:unsure-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T-VT4W9_Ic

I watched about 90 seconds of that video before I started frantically pressing the 1 key on my keyboard. I'll stick to speaking American, the language of freedom!

Good luck with it though! :)

MattHughesRocks
11-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Hey this is cool!

I was poking around a few places after seeing this again, and I found some people who had downloaded Rosetta Stone for French and they think that it sucks compared to Pimsleur...:unsure-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T-VT4W9_Ic

I watched about 90 seconds of that video before I started frantically pressing the 1 key on my keyboard. I'll stick to speaking American, the language of freedom!

Good luck with it though! :)

J.B.
11-04-2009, 06:17 AM
Hey this is cool!

The more I read what some people say about Rosetta Stone, the more it does seem overpriced. A lot of people say that the speech recognition is really just a useless feature.

One person also suggested looking for Michel Thomas's French lessons. He is supposed to have a quick and easy method that a lot of people like.

Adia
11-08-2009, 03:37 AM
Hey Michelle,

Rosetta is pretty decent, but I recommend exposure to even the simplest of French television shows. Make sure you don't get anything based out of Quebec, Canada (no offense to any Quebecois on here), it's just a different kind of French than what is taught in the US. French is my first language and I teach it, and I always suggest full immersion in the subject to gain a better appreciation for it. Even French kids shows will give you some of those common sayings that make the more complex ones easier to digest.

And find someone to speak French with you. Sure the programs and workbooks will teach you the mechanics (verbs "en francais" can be a b(*&ch) but conversation will help you improve your fluidity.

And if that doesn't work, get friend with the guy at Trader Joe's...perhaps the art of French kissing might inspire teehee. Bonne chance!

TexasRN
11-08-2009, 03:39 AM
Hey Michelle,

Rosetta is pretty decent, but I recommend exposure to even the simplest of French television shows. Make sure you don't get anything based out of Quebec, Canada (no offense to any Quebecois on here), it's just a different kind of French than what is taught in the US. French is my first language and I teach it, and I always suggest full immersion in the subject to gain a better appreciation for it. Even French kids shows will give you some of those common sayings that make the more complex ones easier to digest.

And find someone to speak French with you. Sure the programs and workbooks will teach you the mechanics (verbs "en francais" can be a b(*&ch) but conversation will help you improve your fluidity.

And if that doesn't work, get friend with the guy at Trader Joe's...perhaps the art of French kissing might inspire teehee. Bonne chance!

Don't encourage her!! :scared0015:

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
11-08-2009, 03:44 AM
I think I've changed my mind and want to learn Latin now ( see avatar & sig :laugh:)

TexasRN
11-08-2009, 03:46 AM
I think I've changed my mind and want to learn Latin now ( see avatar & sig :laugh:)

Excellent choice. :w00t:

~Amy

Adia
11-08-2009, 03:52 AM

I don't think he bangs anything that would be of interest to you ;)

MattHughesRocks
11-08-2009, 03:54 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/thimage0161616171616171.gif

Stop it. I love him :cry:

I don't think he bangs anything that would be of interest to you ;)

Adia
11-08-2009, 03:56 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/thimage0161616171616171.gif

Stop it. I love him :cry:

and he loves bath houses and leather undergarments. This is your reality check, teehee :D

MattHughesRocks
11-08-2009, 04:06 AM
Oh, your just jealous of our love :sad:

Adia
11-08-2009, 04:09 AM
Oh, your just jealous of our love :sad:
This is true. You can have Ricky, I'll keep GSP warm up here in Canadia...let's uh...just keep those two apart, ok? :scared0011:

MattHughesRocks
11-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Deal :laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is true. You can have Ricky, I'll keep GSP warm up here in Canadia...let's uh...just keep those two apart, ok? :scared0011:

Tyburn
11-10-2009, 01:19 AM
I've decided that I want to learn French (it'll come in real handy one day in the wine dept at Trader Joe's, or if I ever get to talk to GSP :laugh:).
There are a million books, cd's,DVD's classes...tapes...so many things :blink:

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences in learning a new language other then in high school?

:angry:

WTF would you want to learn French??

Tyburn
11-10-2009, 01:20 AM

Good Choice

On the Siggie and Avatar that is :laugh:

rockdawg21
11-10-2009, 02:03 AM
I heard that "Rosetta Stone" program is pretty good
I've been using the Rosetta Stone to learn Tagalog, but it's only good as a vocabulary builder, at least so far in the first 50 lessons I've had. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't really have an everyday conversation like greetings, asking for directions, ordering food, etc. Rosetta Stone does great when it comes to identifiying with pictures and the spelling of the words, but sometimes the photos are misleading. For example, you might think the focus is "the woman is running" but it could be "the woman is jumping"; in some cases, it looks like the same thing, so it's good to have a Native/English & English/Native dictionary for the translations.

Pimsleur Language Programs is my preferred method of choice when it came to learning Spanish and now Tagalog. Rosetta Stone is a great compliment to learn more words once you have a good base in everyday conversation through Pimsleur. The only downfall with Pimsleur is it is only audio CD's so if you don't understand the native alphabet and proper pronunciation of the letters, you will make tons of spelling mistakes.

That's been my experience anyways :)

rockdawg21
11-10-2009, 02:04 AM

LOL, I was thinking the same thing but I'm late reading the thread. I thought you might post that. :laugh:

mscomc
11-10-2009, 04:18 AM

Geeze who crapped in your tea? Why wouldn't someone want to learn french? It is spoken by almost 500 million people around the world...

rockdawg21
11-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Geeze who crapped in your tea? Why wouldn't someone want to learn french? It is spoken by almost 500 million people around the world...
Is that a reason to learn French? French, they can't even defend their own country, yet, they get veto power in the UN. More proof the UN is a joke.

mscomc
11-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Is that a reason to learn French? French, they can't even defend their own country, yet, they get veto power in the UN. More proof the UN is a joke.

LoL, you do realize that FRENCH is a language? I believe the country you are talking about is FRANCE.

If you learned French...it would help you alot if you ever wanted to travel to lets say:

Belgium--i went last year, and french helped.
Morrocco
Many parts of Spain
Northern Africa: Egypt (beautiful country by the way), the ivory coast, Algeria, Chad, Cameroon, Tunisia----and many more

Right here in my country of Canada. The province of Quebec is largely francophone. Most people also speak english but still.

And of course, FRANCE!!!!!!!:)

Plus, it is such a large following of speakers....what if you were a business man, or wanted to get into business? How about learning, for the sake of learning.

rockdawg21
11-11-2009, 02:30 AM
LoL, you do realize that FRENCH is a language? I believe the country you are talking about is FRANCE.

If you learned French...it would help you alot if you ever wanted to travel to lets say:

Belgium--i went last year, and french helped.
Morrocco
Many parts of Spain
Northern Africa: Egypt (beautiful country by the way), the ivory coast, Algeria, Chad, Cameroon, Tunisia----and many more

Right here in my country of Canada. The province of Quebec is largely francophone. Most people also speak english but still.

And of course, FRANCE!!!!!!!:)

Plus, it is such a large following of speakers....what if you were a business man, or wanted to get into business? How about learning, for the sake of learning.
Ugh, it's the native language of the country that sucks. I don't want the dirty French money. And as for learning, no interest in learning the language from the country that sucks. I speak English, Spanish, and now learning Tagalog. If I'm going for a 4th language, it'd be German, the language of the country that twice conquered France in a matter of hours.

mscomc
11-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Ugh, it's the native language of the country that sucks. I don't want the dirty French money. And as for learning, no interest in learning the language from the country that sucks. I speak English, Spanish, and now learning Tagalog. If I'm going for a 4th language, it'd be German, the language of the country that twice conquered France in a matter of hours.

Yeahhhh, but they didnt stop there now did they?

----plus if you went to the other countries i mentioned like: Belgium or Morocco or spain....THE MONEY ISNT FRENCH MONEY. And europe uses EUROS now. And you are telling me you dont want a piece of that action if you could? ah well.

rockdawg21
11-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Yeahhhh, but they didnt stop there now did they?

----plus if you went to the other countries i mentioned like: Belgium or Morocco or spain....THE MONEY ISNT FRENCH MONEY. And europe uses EUROS now. And you are telling me you dont want a piece of that action if you could? ah well.
No, but France certainly didn't put up a fight. Germany walked into the country and they dropped their guns. In fact, the other day, I was on eBay and saw a genuine WWII French rifle, the description read:

"Shot none, dropped once."

If the money circulated through France at one point, I'm not interested.

mscomc
11-11-2009, 03:04 AM
No, but France certainly didn't put up a fight. Germany walked into the country and they dropped their guns. In fact, the other day, I was on eBay and saw a genuine WWII French rifle, the description read:

"Shot none, dropped once."

If the money circulated through France at one point, I'm not interested.

Rock, are you basing you entire love for another countries: Language, Money, culture etc etc based on how willing they are to fight?

I mean if thats the case: Why not learn Pashto (the afghan language), those guys in the kyber pass of afghanistan are giving every countries troops a hard time, even with their primitive: ak'47's, and crappy pistols and swords.

How about arabic? Those guys in iraq seem to got people shaking in their boots.

What about Turk? The ottoman empire pretty much ruled the asian subcontinent at one point

What about hebrew? Since the israeli army is pretty strong right now.....
:)

rockdawg21
11-11-2009, 03:58 AM
LOL

If you must know, the French have for a long-time been supportive of Arabic countries in attempts to receive discounts on oil.

Back in the early 1980s, in thanks to the discovery of oil in Iraq, the Iraqis wanted to create a nuclear plant that would produce bomb-grade plutonium as a by-product, although this wasn't directly mentioned by the Iraqis. Russia and Germany are the countries who sold military weapons to Iraqis and Saddam also tried to get help building the nuclear plant from these countries as well as a company based out of New York. The U.S., Russian, and German firms didn't take much time in learning about the issue and what was truly lying behind it. The French caught wind of it, and in exchange for oil discounts, they built the plant for Saddam. Fortunately, we bombed it out of commission during the Persian Gulf War.

Anytime the French celebrates their WWII liberation at the Battle of Normandy, they simply celebrate it rather than giving praise to the country who saved their sorry asses.

When the U.S. wanted to go to war with Iraq in this most recent controversy, France voted "no", as if the world would be safer with Saddam alive.

The Total Group, a large energy company in France, continues to do deals with the Iran government. In fact, in 2007, the Total Group was accused of violating the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act by paying bribes to an Iranian government official. Even after all of the likely nuclear violations by Iran, earlier this year, the Total Group began working to sign a 5 billion dollar deal with the Iranian government.

France refuses to support Western issues and even themselves by doing business with all of the people who want to kill them and all other non-believers of Islam. How f'ed up is that?

Screw the French and everything about them.

mscomc
11-11-2009, 05:52 AM
soooooooooooooo if I am reading between the lines here......you dont wanna learn french? :laugh:

Geeze....are you sure you wanna learn german? I mean I personally have nothing against them, I had a lot of german physics proffs and TA's as an undergrad, and they were damn smart people, but whenever they spoke german to eachother, they always sounded so MAD.

They could be saying I love you, and it was like "AHHHHHHHHHHHHH" is all i heard. :)

bradwright
11-11-2009, 05:06 PM
LOL

If you must know, the French have for a long-time been supportive of Arabic countries in attempts to receive discounts on oil.

Back in the early 1980s, in thanks to the discovery of oil in Iraq, the Iraqis wanted to create a nuclear plant that would produce bomb-grade plutonium as a by-product, although this wasn't directly mentioned by the Iraqis. Russia and Germany are the countries who sold military weapons to Iraqis and Saddam also tried to get help building the nuclear plant from these countries as well as a company based out of New York. The U.S., Russian, and German firms didn't take much time in learning about the issue and what was truly lying behind it. The French caught wind of it, and in exchange for oil discounts, they built the plant for Saddam. Fortunately, we bombed it out of commission during the Persian Gulf War.

Anytime the French celebrates their WWII liberation at the Battle of Normandy, they simply celebrate it rather than giving praise to the country who saved their sorry asses.
When the U.S. wanted to go to war with Iraq in this most recent controversy, France voted "no", as if the world would be safer with Saddam alive.

The Total Group, a large energy company in France, continues to do deals with the Iran government. In fact, in 2007, the Total Group was accused of violating the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act by paying bribes to an Iranian government official. Even after all of the likely nuclear violations by Iran, earlier this year, the Total Group began working to sign a 5 billion dollar deal with the Iranian government.

France refuses to support Western issues and even themselves by doing business with all of the people who want to kill them and all other non-believers of Islam. How f'ed up is that?

Screw the French and everything about them.

i'm sure you meant to say countries instead of country seeing as how there were 13 different countries involved in saving their sorry asses as you put it.:wink:

Tyburn
11-11-2009, 06:03 PM
German, the language of the country that twice conquered France in a matter of hours.

:laugh::laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfmFpycqOKI

Tyburn
11-11-2009, 06:07 PM

Excuse me. But the War only got that far because YOUR Country tried to ignore what was going on in Europe. :mellow: I dislike France...but dont lets twist this into propergandar...a whole generation of Europeans were wiped out whilst America stood back and did sweet FA.

Then when SHE is bombed, suddenly her joining those who had paid a much higher price, and SHE won it for us?? Yeah...because she waited til there was none of us left before joining in the first place!! :angry:

...and as for the United Nations...technically speaking, that was as much YOUR idea as it was any European Country. The Americans wanted to set up a body to prevent a state from just doing whatever it wanted outside of its own Soverignty. Sadly about 60 years later, they decide to act unilaterally in a pre-emptive war, which they are still fighting.

WADR, you should not be lecturing any Europeans, or Eurocentrics on Warfare. Your Military might be the biggest, but its also the most underused in the entireity of History. Remember on French Soil there have been many hundreds of Battles over thousands of years...in the United States, they had a Civil War, and a war against a Nation thousands of miles off their coast. They have never been invaded, they have never been repeatedly bombed night after night through all their major cities.

The French have. Granted...I despise France also...but I have good reason to. That they did the right thing to try and stop you breaking the laws of an insitution you part created for the sole purpose, is not a valid reason.

Tyburn
11-11-2009, 06:09 PM
i'm sure you meant to say countries instead of country seeing as how there were 13 different countries involved in saving their sorry asses as you put it.:wink:

Yeah...and Some Gave MORE FOR LONGER then others :ninja:

Besides...what would an American know about Invasion from a neighbouring country or the threat there of...its never happened to them. :rolleyes:

rockdawg21
11-12-2009, 12:39 AM
LOL, so it was our job to come and fight off your enemies? Don't even make it sound like it was our responsibility. Japan decided to start **** with us, they got what they had coming. Germany decided to side with Japan, so they got what they had coming.

I agree with you, we should have done something sooner, but don't make it sound like it was the United States mandatory responsibility to come fight against the Germans to save all the other European countries.

My bad, I'm an arrogant, selfish American. I have an excuse :laugh:

mscomc
11-12-2009, 02:27 AM
LOL, so it was our job to come and fight off your enemies? Don't even make it sound like it was our responsibility. Japan decided to start **** with us, they got what they had coming. Germany decided to side with Japan, so they got what they had coming.

I agree with you, we should have done something sooner, but don't make it sound like it was the United States mandatory responsibility to come fight against the Germans to save all the other European countries.

Well, In japans defence, you did cut of their oil supply. And if history has taught us anything about oil......its great for cooking:wink: .....plus say what you will about the Japanese, i dont think anyone can deny, they gave it to you guys pretty bad (in terms of your navy) for what their strength was. :frantics: Wait, I GOT IT!!!!!! learn the language of the samurai!!!!!!! JAPANESE.....if you like fighters as much as you say you do....learn japanese....

Plus, I dont think germany would have stopped with europe. The canadian navy (with help from the British Navy) spotted german submarines coming as close as the st.lawrence seaway near canada. That aint to far from New York or New england.

Tyburn
11-12-2009, 06:08 PM

:laugh: you are forgiven :laugh:

Tyburn
11-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, In japans defence, you did cut of their oil supply. And if history has taught us anything about oil......its great for cooking:wink: .....plus say what you will about the Japanese, i dont think anyone can deny, they gave it to you guys pretty bad (in terms of your navy) for what their strength was. :frantics: Wait, I GOT IT!!!!!! learn the language of the samurai!!!!!!! JAPANESE.....if you like fighters as much as you say you do....learn japanese....

Plus, I dont think germany would have stopped with europe. The canadian navy (with help from the British Navy) spotted german submarines coming as close as the st.lawrence seaway near canada. That aint to far from New York or New england.

There is talk that The Germans already had feet in Latin America...its where alot of the war criminals fled to after the war in an attempt to hide.

Adolf didnt just want Europe...he wanted to World. He'd already made a start in Europe, Africa and Asia....The United States would have been next...BUT I think you find that Japan would have got there first. Japan was after Australia by the End of the war...

But even if they didnt want America...who would it leave you to do trade and industry with. No way around it.

But...having said all of this...there is no point in learning French :angry::laugh:

Jonlion
11-13-2009, 01:25 AM
French is the one of the greatest languages to learn in the world.

My first advice would be to get over there and immerse yourself in the French language, talking to people, radio, T.V etc etc

However if that is not possible I would then just try to expose yourself to it as much as possible. pratical learning is always the best.

As a side note,

I love the French, they are a great nation. And there was a strong French Resistance even if there Army got capitulated.

However you gotta remember the German army was mean and well run, that Army could fight and they trounced all of us.

Before we all get on high horses, it was probably Hitler's invasion of Russia that sped up the Allied victory. It was as disastrous as Napoleon's in 1812.

On the recent day of Armstice I pray for all those men that died, English, American, Canadian, Indian, Australian, French, Dutch, italian, German and Japenese.

In nearly all cases they were men like you or me that went and fought in some barstard war.