PDA

View Full Version : Just a little opinion

Crisco
02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
If BJ keeps fighting and stays at lightweight no one can beat him. Florian is a great LW but BJ will destroy him.

The problem in the GSP fight was GSP. He is a so massive and fast and talented. He is a bigger, better BJ Penn.

BJ is faster and stronger at LW because he is forced to be in shape that is why 155 was perfect for BJ he needs to go back there and secure his legacy again. His record isn't steller and it doesn't reflect how good he really can be if he tried.

Going out now is a bad way to do it and fighting GSP again for the same if not worse result won't do him or his legacy any good.

atomdanger
02-09-2009, 07:49 PM
If BJ keeps fighting and stays at lightweight no one can beat him. Florian is a great LW but BJ will destroy him.

The problem in the GSP fight was GSP. He is a so massive and fast and talented. He is a bigger, better BJ Penn.

BJ is faster and stronger at LW because he is forced to be in shape that is why 155 was perfect for BJ he needs to go back there and secure his legacy again. His record isn't steller and it doesn't reflect how good he really can be if he tried.

Going out now is a bad way to do it and fighting GSP again for the same if not worse result won't do him or his legacy any good.

I don't think he is better than BJ Penn at anything, just bigger and stronger.
A lot of people bring up the wrestling, but wrestling seems to be a lot about size and strength.

Crisco
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
A lot of people bring up the wrestling, but wrestling seems to be a lot about size and strength.

GSP's athletics versus BJ's flexibility.

GSP's athletics win. At 170 BJ is overrated at 155 BJ is unbeatable.

GSP's mma striking is way more advanced then BJ's he puts it together better. In a straight boxing match BJ walks away the winner but when you take kicks into consideration or make it a kickboxing match GSP all the way.

BJ better boxer GSP better fighter.

Blmfighter
02-09-2009, 08:04 PM
In what fight did BJ show that he is a good boxer?

rockdawg21
02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Guess you didn't see his fight with Sherk?
Even Matt said that BJ punches harder than anybody he's ever fought, and Matt's fought guys much bigger than BJ.
If I remember correctly, they showed a stat prior to the GSP fight - BJ lands something like 70% of his jabs.

County Mike
02-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Even GSP knew that BJ had impressive boxing. His strategy was to force BJ against the fence, so that BJ would tire out his shoulders trying to push him off. He wantes BJ to have tired shoulders so he couldn't throw that wicked jab.

When you develop a game plan around the other guys jab, I'd say he's a pretty good boxer.

Josh
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Even GSP knew that BJ had impressive boxing. His strategy was to force BJ against the fence, so that BJ would tire out his shoulders trying to push him off. He wantes BJ to have tired shoulders so he couldn't throw that wicked jab.

When you develop a game plan around the other guys jab, I'd say he's a pretty good boxer.
Haha. So true.

Jason 16
02-09-2009, 09:56 PM

NO its more than 90% skill I almost all ways wrestle up above my normal weight and I still do good. and the same with our 112 pounder he goes up to 125 if need be

Blmfighter
02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Just because someone hits hard does not prove they are god Boxers. If that was the case then Tank would be a world class boxer. In the sherk fight he had a nice reach advantage and was fighting a wrestler. Donít get me wrong I think he does have some skills however I would not list BJ in the top list as MMA boxing skills go.

When you fight a guy with a smaller reach and not very good at boxing you should do well against him.

Jason 16
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Guess you didn't see his fight with Sherk?
Even Matt said that BJ punches harder than anybody he's ever fought, and Matt's fought guys much bigger than BJ.
If I remember correctly, they showed a stat prior to the GSP fight - BJ lands something like 70% of his jabs.

I just wonder if that fight would have been diffrent if bj had the same reach as sherk because more than any thing that screwed him the most.

Jason 16
02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Just because someone hits hard does not prove they are god Boxers. If that was the case then Tank would be a world class boxer. In the sherk fight he had a nice reach advantage and was fighting a wrestler. Donít get me wrong I think he does have some skills however I would not list BJ in the top list as MMA boxing skills go.

When you fight a guy with a smaller reach and not very good at boxing you should do well against him.

humm realy ? I thought sherk was realy good at boxing, head movement, speed, power and throws good combinations . at least I thought he looked crisp in the fight with tyson griffin

Josh
02-09-2009, 10:06 PM

Freddie Roach has said that BJ has the best boxing in MMA if his opinion means anything to you.

Blmfighter
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Freddie Roach also said that AA was going to KO Fedor. Freddie is very good at training boxers. Just becuase someone can throw nice jab does not prove they are good boxers. Just because he thinks he has the best boxing in MMA does not show that he is good at boxing. I have the best boxing in my house does not prove I'm good at it?

Jason 16
02-09-2009, 10:18 PM
how much does freddie know about any other style of strikeing but boxing like lyoto machida with out kicks is would not be considered a good boxer even mir said that but look he doesnt get hit and KOs the other guy

Josh
02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Freddie Roach also said that AA was going to KO Fedor. Freddie is very good at training boxers. Just becuase someone can throw nice jab does not prove they are good boxers. Just because he thinks he has the best boxing in MMA does not show that he is good at boxing. I have the best boxing in my house does not prove I'm good at it?
Wow. Are we not talking about MMA here? What other context do you think we are discussing? This is not a thread about BJ boxing Mayweather. BJ is usually considered to have the best boxing in the UFC LW division. You obviously disagree but that is the general opinion. Of course Freddie said that about AA. He was training him.

Champ2be
02-10-2009, 01:47 AM

GSP's mma striking is way more advanced then BJ's he puts it together better. In a straight boxing match BJ walks away the winner but when you take kicks into consideration or make it a kickboxing match GSP all the way.

Not taking anything away from Matt, but BJ did beat Hughes at 170 so I wouldnt say he is overrated he just got out classed at UFC94.

Chuck
02-10-2009, 03:33 AM
BJ lands something like 70% of his jabs.

Too bad he caught about 80%.... :Whistle:

Chuck
02-10-2009, 03:35 AM
I don't think he is better than BJ Penn at anything.

Do winning, preperation, training or executing a game plan count?????

rockdawg21
02-10-2009, 03:46 AM
I just wonder if that fight would have been diffrent if bj had the same reach as sherk because more than any thing that screwed him the most.
I thought Sherk was just going to stand up with BJ for maybe 2-3 rounds just to wear him down a bit, then just start going for takedowns to score the GNP or point-victory. I was shocked when he didn't even try. No doubt the reach was difficult for Sherk to deal with, but he didn't even include wearing BJ out as part of the game plan, that was just crazy.

atomdanger
02-10-2009, 05:32 AM

What does athletics mean? lol
He is bigger and stronger, we have established that.

I don't feel GSP has better striking at all, he is just bigger and stronger.

CAVEMAN
02-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I've heard it said that BJ is the best p4p fighter and I just don't buy it, his record proves otherwise! He is overrated!

atomdanger
02-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Do winning, preperation, training or executing a game plan count?????

winning? lol

I don't think he is better at training or executing game plans,
It is just very obvious that BJ cannot train properly and maintain a 170lb body.

You add 15 lbs of fat to your body and see if you're as fast,
have as much cardio and can do everything you did at 155

Crisco
02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
winning? lol

I don't think he is better at training or executing game plans,
It is just very obvious that BJ cannot train properly and maintain a 170lb body.

You add 15 lbs of fat to your body and see if you're as fast,
have as much cardio and can do everything you did at 155

Hence my original thread start.

BJ.. stay at 155 and just STFU

Llamafighter
02-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Haha. So true.

I'll second that!!!!

Liam
02-11-2009, 12:58 AM
bj showed he has excellent boxing in the fight with sean sherk.

Liam
02-11-2009, 01:00 AM

Well considering this is a debate about GSP/BJ he does have good boxing. Like Roach or not his opinion means something about boxing, if it was straight boxing AA could KO Fedor.

atomdanger
02-11-2009, 04:17 AM
Hence my original thread start.

BJ.. stay at 155 and just STFU

Oh I agree, his ego gets in his way.

He seems like he has this need to prove he can fight at 170 and be champion,
when there is nothing wrong with being the LW champion.

Spiritwalker
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
when there is nothing wrong with being the LW champion.

Unless your Baby jay at least...