PDA

View Full Version : US to pay Taliban members to switch sides

atomdanger
10-28-2009, 11:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/28/afghanistan.taliban.pay/index.html

Some experts on the region believe a U.S. program to pay Taliban fighters to quit the organization is buying temporary loyalty.

President Obama on Wednesday signed a $680 billion defense appropriations bill, which will pay for military operations in the 2010 fiscal year. The bill includes a Taliban reintegration provision under the Commander's Emergency Response Program, which is now receiving $1.3 billion. CERP funding also is intended for humanitarian relief and reconstruction projects at commanders' discretion.

Interesting idea...
What do you guys think?
Do you think it will work?

rockdawg21
10-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Religion trumps money.

However, if they paid me that much money, I would be willing to become a Democrat. Ironically, if I were willing to accept that money, I would be a Democrat by default. :laugh:

Chuck
10-29-2009, 03:42 AM
Interesting idea...
What do you guys think?
Do you think it will work?

It won't be the first time the US has used money to "buy" our enemies... probably won't be the last...

Religion trumps money.

Nothing trumps money bro.......

Except Chuck Norris of course. :ninja:

Crisco
10-29-2009, 04:27 AM
Pay one half to whipe of the other half this way we only have one half to deal with in 6 months.

County Mike
10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Sounds like rewarding bad behaviour. All you parents know how that works out.

TexasRN
10-29-2009, 11:29 AM
We've been doing this over there since the beginning of this particular war. The first soldiers to go in were special ops and they had a huge amt of money they took to do this very thing. A lot of the Taliban fighters are actually pressed into service against their will because if they didn't fight for them the Taliban would kill their family. If you give them money, they can get their families to safety and fight on our side giving us great intel while they are at it. I leaarned this from a book I've been reading called Horse Soldiers http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Soldiers-Extraordinary-Victory-Afghanistan/dp/B0026SCMMS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256815704&sr=8-2.

~Amy