PDA

View Full Version : Limbaugh may have grounds for Libel suit!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Limbaugh May Have Grounds for Libel Suit, Legal Analysts Say
Thursday , October 15, 2009

By Joshua Rhett Miller

ADVERTISEMENTRush Limbaugh, who saw his bid to co-own a National Football League team sacked partly because of quotes he purportedly made regarding slavery, could have grounds for a libel suit, legal experts told Foxnews.com.

The conservative radio host was dropped on Wednesday from a group seeking to buy the St. Louis Rams. Dave Checketts, chairman of the St. Louis Blues hockey team, who is leading the effort to buy the NFL team, said Limbaugh was dropped from the group after his involvement in the process became a "complication and a distraction."

Limbaugh's role in the potential sale became the target of liberals on Monday when reports surfaced on news organizations including CNN, MSNBC and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the radio personality once said that slavery "had its merits."

"Slavery built the South," Limbaugh was reported to have said. "I'm not saying we should bring it back. I'm just saying it had its merit. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark."

That purported statement, according to Post-Dispatch columnist Bryan Burwell, came from a 2006 book, "101 People Who Are Really Screwing America," by John Huberman, which does not provide specific details regarding the quote.

Limbaugh has repeatedly denied making the statement. On his radio show on Wednesday, he said, "They continue to spread the false, fabricated quotes and lies, and people continue to comment on them. So I'm faced with the dilemma, what do I do with this?"

One of the things he can do is pick up the ball and run straight to court. Lis Wiehl, a former federal prosecutor and Fox News legal analyst, said Limbaugh has grounds for a libel suit if he can prove he never uttered those words.

"If he didn't say that, his people should come out and say that," Wiehl said. "If it's true he didn't say that, then this is horrible what those organizations are trying to do to slime him."

As a public figure, Wiehl said, Limbaugh would have to prove actual malice and damages -- meaning he'd have to show that the media organizations knowingly and maliciously published that information without regard for the truth, and that he suffered because of it.

"It's a higher standard," she said. "If they actually made up a quote that cost him a deal that he would've otherwise gotten, then yeah, he's got a case."

If the matter revolved around a non-public figure, the potential lawsuit would be a "slam dunk," Wiehl said.

"[Limbaugh] would literally have to prove that whoever put that out did so knowingly in an attempt to hurt him," she continued. "If I were his lawyer, I would argue actual malice. If it's fabricated, what other reason would they make it up?"

Lee Armstrong, a New York-based attorney for the law firm Jones Day, said Limbaugh would have a "very high burden" to meet as a public figure to sue for libel or defamation. But if the quote was indeed fabricated, Armstrong said the radio personality has a potential case.

"These cases typically settle, and they settle not necessarily for money, but maybe the news organization will print a retraction or give Rush the ability to counterbalance what is being said," Armstrong said.

If a lawsuit were to proceed, Armstrong said a potentially fascinating situation would unfold as Limbaugh's attorneys would be granted access to documents on exactly how the story or news segment became published.

"Rush would be able to try and discover whether there's this liberal machinery he's always talking about," Armstrong said. "The whole world would be watching. That's what's interesting."

Brent Bozell, president of the Media Research Center, a conservative media watchdog group, has called on CNN and MSNBC to prove Limbaugh actually made the slavery comment or immediately retract and apologize for their role in disseminating the message.

"The CNN and MSNBC 'news' networks are guilty of promoting outright falsehoods and purposely using fabricated disinformation created by left-wing radicals to destroy a conservative leader," Bozell said in a statement released Wednesday. "There is no grey area here. CNN and MSNBC were given ample time opportunity to come clean, but both are continuing to masquerade malicious lies as credible."

A CNN spokeswoman had not provided a response to questions as of midday Thursday. Calls to MSNBC were not returned and attempts to reach Huberman were unsuccessful.

Meanwhile, Sandra Baron, executive director of New York's Libel Defense Resource Center, urged Limbaugh to consider his legal options if he feels he was libeled.

"Libel law really does require one to understand specifically what was said and how it was said," Baron said. "If Mr. Limbaugh thinks he's got a claim, he's certainly got the money to hire an attorney."

J.B.
10-16-2009, 12:23 AM
The Rams suck so bad right now, they really don't need any more drama.

Rush should stick radio and stay away from the NFL. Having a guy like him as an owner would just bring controversy to the team. Every time Rush steps over the "line", Rams players would be getting hounded by reporters for their opinion. Not good for the team.

flo
10-16-2009, 12:53 AM
He should sue. These quotes that have been attributed to him have not been verified and I heard that several sources - some sympathetic, some not - have tried. Believe me, every word he utters is recorded in the hopes of smearing him so it shouldn't be too hard to verify.

It reminds me of the people who still parrot the tired phrase "Bush stole the election!" even though every news agency on the planet, using every conceivable counting method, got the same result - Gore lost.

Go MajaRushie!!!

flo
10-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Every time Rush steps over the "line", Rams players would be getting hounded by reporters for their opinion. Not good for the team.

Hmm, do you think so? I dont know, Mark Cuban is pretty controversial but I doubt the Mavericks get asked their opinions on his doings.

Of course, this is baseball but what about Marge Schott, she was an outrageous bigot and anti-semite, the worst they did to her was ban her from managing, IIRC. I'm sure people knew her attitudes, she wasn't a shrinking violet, yet her money talked and she bought the team.

Seems like a double standard.

J.B.
10-16-2009, 03:08 AM
Hmm, do you think so? I dont know, Mark Cuban is pretty controversial but I doubt the Mavericks get asked their opinions on his doings.

Of course, this is baseball but what about Marge Schott, she was an outrageous bigot and anti-semite, the worst they did to her was ban her from managing, IIRC. I'm sure people knew her attitudes, she wasn't a shrinking violet, yet her money talked and she bought the team.

Seems like a double standard.

You make a good point, but Mark Cuban and Marge Schott are not nearly as controversial as Rush Limbaugh. Now, I don't really follow the Dallas media too much, but I am willing to bet that the Mavs players have been asked a question or two from time to time regarding their owner.

Rush is considered by many to be the poster boy for conservatives, and he is always wrapped up in something controversial. I know if I was a member of the Rams, I would be happy that he is not buying the team.

Chuck
10-16-2009, 03:32 AM
You make a good point, but Mark Cuban and Marge Schott are not nearly as controversial as Rush Limbaugh. Now, I don't really follow the Dallas media too much, but I am willing to bet that the Mavs players have been asked a question or two from time to time regarding their owner.

Rush is considered by many to be the poster boy for conservatives, and he is always wrapped up in something controversial. I know if I was a member of the Rams, I would be happy that he is not buying the team.

I'm guessing you forgot who Marge Schott is? :blink:

If you remember her at all.... she was much, much more controversial then Rush... definitely more racist...

flo
10-16-2009, 03:41 AM

Well, you may be right about that. I admit I'm biased in that I really like Rush and can't imagine how tough it is to fight against a determined smear campaign. I hope Matt H. (or Nate) would comment on this, he knows what it's like to be smeared by some jerks trying to libel him.

flo
10-16-2009, 03:42 AM

If you remember her at all.... she was much, much more controversial then Rush... definitely more racist...

Yeah, she "admired" Hitler and dropped the "n" bomb all the time...

She didn't like Latinos much either...

J.B.
10-16-2009, 05:15 AM

C'mon bro, I did not forget who she is, but the point is NOBODY REALLY CARED. People will not just forget about Rush and brush him off as a crazy old lady.

Just because you are a proven racist does not mean you are MORE controversial than somebody like Rush Limbaugh. He has a GIANT audience, and there are large groups of people who study his every word in an attempt to discredit him at every turn.

I don't dislike Rush, I just don't think any NFL team needs those kind of distractions. Especially when you are 0-5 and have pretty much sucked since 2000 when Kurt Warner was your QB. Every week or two, Rush is in the news for people calling him out on something he said, I just don't think the players on the Rams would want or need that sort of distraction.

donaldbreland
10-16-2009, 05:55 AM
I am sick and tired of every time a white man speaks about a black man he his a racist. My God can't a man have an opinion. I hear blacks all the time on B.E.T calling each other the N word but when or if a white man says it he is a racist. That is the same reason this generation is screwing up our country. People get a grip. Rush has some good points and some bad points but all in all we must remember he is only human. He as one person can't change the country. He only offers his opinions about what he thinks our problems are. You want to know what are problems are in this country. Our problems in this country relates to how racist we are as a society. Whites are racist towards blacks and blacks are racist towards white and then when thats not enough whites start becoming racist towards whites and blacks start becoming racist towards blacks. The problem is this. When I have an opinion about something and you think I'm wrong you only assume that I am with out providing facts. We would much rather voice an opinion rather than state a fact. Ask questions that need to be answered and don't be scared to hear an answer that might upset you or scare you. All I can hear is people all the time talking about how racist whites are' but this swings both ways.
For instance. I have a cousin who has a mixed kid and my wife and I watched her for the first time this weekend. We took her to a festival in a little town near where I live. Now this town is a country town and has a good mixture of blacks and whites. Normally we all get along but I learned something this past weekend. As I was walking with the baby I noticed people would stare at me and my wife as if there was something wrong with us. Mainly the black people would make comments about the baby in a negative way. The older white people would give us looks but wouldn't say anything. My point I am trying to make is this. The reason that they wouldn't let Rush buy the team is because he made a racial comment and the NAACP was going to get involved. The NAACP is one of the most racist groups out there today. Probably more so than the KKK. the reason I say that is because every where they turn they are creating violence. Just look at what the NAACP stands for. National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Why can't they be called the NAAAP. National Association for the Advancement of All People. This racism card works both ways. We are all a little racist. Don't believe me. Is there any one you do not like out here in this world. If you say no then your telling a lie. If you hate someone then your a racist. Bottom line. So lets fess up and admit that we are all a little racist towards other people. I know I am and every day I know I will get better because my faith and love for the Lord will give me power to become a better person. By the way I agree on what he said about Donovan Mcnabb.

donaldbreland
10-16-2009, 06:06 AM
I thought I would share this video with you.
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZQ8tChMUg[/URL]

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-16-2009, 06:18 AM
I thought I would share this video with you.
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZQ8tChMUg[/URL]

Link not working! On a side note I think the business philosophy Rush backs would help the Rams. Hire the best person you can for the job! I also hope Rush sues and wins against some of these Folks for Libel!

flo
10-16-2009, 08:36 AM
The video that was linked was removed but here is another one of the same topic, Stephen Smith on Rush buying the Rams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USKg_MP3hNs

Wow, Donald, that was a very passionate post with a lot of truth in it. I've thought on this topic and tried to examine my true feelings over the years and I think we all do have varying degrees of bias.

I feel really sad, though, about what happened at the fair when you were babysitting for your cousin. And it's on both sides! Disapproval from both sides!

Strange that you posted about that the same day I read that a judge in the south just denied a mixed race couple a marriage license because he said that children resulting from the marriage would face too many difficulties!!! Made me think we are going backwards instead of forwards, you know?

Crisco
10-16-2009, 04:02 PM
On a side note,

regarding Rush's supposed quote is it true?

I wonder if the stats would back it up.

J.B.
10-17-2009, 01:48 AM
The NAACP is one of the most racist groups out there today. Probably more so than the KKK. the reason I say that is because every where they turn they are creating violence.

I am FAR from being a supporter of the NAACP, and I completely agree with you that racism swings both ways.

However, the NAACP is not creating violence at every turn any more than a person like Rush Limbaugh is by making inflammatory statements. The KKK was and is a violent group of admitted racists. Sure, the NAACP has elements that can easily be considered racist depending on how you want to look at it, but they are not out on a crusade to "kill whitey" or get whitey out of their neighborhoods.

Rush got kicked out of the group because he is a distraction. Even if he never actually said this quote, there are a lot of people out there who want to see him get torn down, and they will even go out of their way to make up lies about him. That IS a distraction, and from a professional point of view, they made the right decision in cutting ties with him on this deal.

donaldbreland
10-17-2009, 03:04 AM
when was the last known reported crime of violence by the kkk. I do not agree with what they did or do but I tend to think the NAACP is actually more racist. Also most of the NAACP is made up of a group called the black panthers which is guess what. A racist group towards whites. Also you saying that Rush is causing more of a stir than the NAACP is plain out wrong. The NAACP is called upon anything that happens between a black and a white if the white is in the wrong. Every time a black person doesn't get his/her way the NAACP is called upon. I am sick and tired of people calling Blacks African Americans too. If they were born in this country then they are full blooded Americans. I'm tired of them being the ones that single themselves out. Everyone is born with a chance to do whatever they want to in life. The ones who make it there is the ones who bust their butts to get what they want out of life and the ones who don't are the ones griping and complaining about how they don't have the opportunities. That goes for all races. By the way JB you sounded a little racist towards Rush.

donaldbreland
10-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Can't anyone stand up for our rights anymore. I get the picture that the blacks went through years of pain because of slavery but my God the black people have a chance now to become what ever they want to become, even president of the United States. I know back in the 1960's things were hard but todays generation of black kids have no right saying we as whites owe them anything. I can not and will not be held reliable for what someone else did nor will I be held responsible for what my ancestors did. If you want to know the way I think about it. I think our ancestors gave them opportunities they would have never had in Africa. See in todays history books it only speaks of how the whites went over and bought slaves but it don't speak of who sold the slaves. There own ancestors sold them. I happen to live 30 minutes away from Charleston South Carolina where a slave market still stands today. I happen to live 20 minutes from Charlestons plantations where they show pictures of slaves and how they stayed after the civil war and was given land because they earned it. The next time any of you come to Charleston Please visit our plantations and learn true history for yourself.
There is a lot of people in the media that are prejudice towards the white man. People like Chris Rock, Kanye West, Al Sharpton, Rev Wright just to name a few. Then when someone has the conads to stand up for our rights as well as the rights of black people together, then people call him a racist. I am speaking of Glenn Beck. The man is asking for the truth and quotes the Rev Martin Luther King Jr all the time. Stop hearing what you want to hear and hear what is real people. We need to stand up and join together and take down these groups that are slowly tearing down our country and taking freedom away from one and giving it to another. We all should be treated the same. I don't care where you came from in life or what religion you believe in. My God tells me to love one another and I will do that until the day I die.

J.B.
10-17-2009, 04:12 AM
when was the last known reported crime of violence by the kkk. I do not agree with what they did or do but I tend to think the NAACP is actually more racist. Also most of the NAACP is made up of a group called the black panthers which is guess what. A racist group towards whites. Also you saying that Rush is causing more of a stir than the NAACP is plain out wrong. The NAACP is called upon anything that happens between a black and a white if the white is in the wrong. Every time a black person doesn't get his/her way the NAACP is called upon. I am sick and tired of people calling Blacks African Americans too. If they were born in this country then they are full blooded Americans. I'm tired of them being the ones that single themselves out. Everyone is born with a chance to do whatever they want to in life. The ones who make it there is the ones who bust their butts to get what they want out of life and the ones who don't are the ones griping and complaining about how they don't have the opportunities. That goes for all races. By the way JB you sounded a little racist towards Rush.

You need to take a big hairy chill pill and actually READ what I said. :tongue0011:

I NEVER said that Rush causes more of a stir than the NAACP. I said Rush's status as a celebrity in the world of politics is a distraction, hence the reason he was dropped from the group looking to purchase the Rams.

Your assertion that the NAACP directly causes violence is ridiculous and you have no way to back up such a claim. Do they incite violence by driving the wedge between blacks and whites even further? I'm sure it's possible in some feeble minded individuals, but it's not something that the group openly supports and it's not something that is happening on any sort of large scale. Also, not all people associated with the NAACP are Black Panthers.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying about race relations, but I think you have some things a little backwards. First of all, how the hell is one group going to be MORE racist than another? Racist is racist, plain and simple. The KKK is every bit as racist as the Black Panthers. Now, it's fair to say that one group causes more violence than another, but you also have to be able to back up what you are saying.

You are the one who said the NAACP causes violence at every turn, and that is just simply NOT TRUE. The NAACP most certainly has some racist elements to it depending on how you choose to interpret them, but the group does not openly endorse violent action as groups like the KKK or the Black Panthers do. The NAACP was started to promote advancement of ALL people by working towards ending racial discrimination. It was also started during a time when colored people were SEVERELY discriminated against in this country. Groups like the KKK and Black Panthers are HATE groups designed to promote only their respective races. Sure, you can say that some people who consider themselves "Black Panthers" are supporters of the NAACP, but that does not mean the NAACP is a violent racist organization. Klan members are usually Protestant Christians, does that don't make Christianity a violent racist religion? The answer is a resounding NO, it does not.

I am "racist" against Rush? :laugh::rolleyes:

I have to disagree with what you think racism is. If I gather what you are saying correctly, you believe that by simply "hating" another individual that makes you a racist, however that is not what racism is defined as...

Racism (rac-ism)
NOUN:
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

So, I take it you think I hate Rush Limbaugh, and that also could not be further from the truth. I like a lot of what Rush says, but I also think he can be a bit of a blowhard from time to time, as with any good political talk show host. All I said was that his celebrity status and the controversy that always surrounds him is not good for an NFL team, and as a lifelong football fan I am most certainly entitled to that opinion.

J.B.
10-17-2009, 04:32 AM
There is a lot of people in the media that are prejudice towards the white man. People like Chris Rock, Kanye West, Al Sharpton, Rev Wright just to name a few. Then when someone has the conads to stand up for our rights as well as the rights of black people together, then people call him a racist. I am speaking of Glenn Beck. The man is asking for the truth and quotes the Rev Martin Luther King Jr all the time. Stop hearing what you want to hear and hear what is real people. We need to stand up and join together and take down these groups that are slowly tearing down our country and taking freedom away from one and giving it to another. We all should be treated the same. I don't care where you came from in life or what religion you believe in. My God tells me to love one another and I will do that until the day I die.

I don't think Al Sharpton is really a racist, but behind closed doors I could be wrong. I just think he is a race-baiter who makes his living off the insecurities of some black people. The guy has done a lot of good things, but he also takes on some ridiculous causes that he blows out of proportion in order to keep himself in the mix.

As for Chris Rock, I don't follow him outside his comedy, so I don't really know what you are talking about with him.

Everybody around here knows how I feel about Kanye. He is a gay fish and one of biggest IRL trolls in history. Nobody takes him seriously, he is a joke.

Rev Wright? Yeah, he's a honky hater.

Glenn Beck? I think he's a smart guy who makes some great points, but then he destroys his own credibility by going completely overboard and looking like a tool. Just like a lot of celebrities, he uses his antics to keep his fans entertained and to keep his haters talking about him. As long as people are talking about him, ratings will stay up, and he will have a job. I don't see Beck as a racist, but that's the label Fox News has gotten, so it should not come of a surprise to anybody that people are saying that.

donaldbreland
10-17-2009, 05:54 AM
JB I very much enjoy your posts and love talking about such issues as we talk about. I am not on here to change ones mind or change their opinion on a certain subject. I am on here to talk about issues this country is facing. I don't know much about where your from but here in the south it's a completely different ball game. Racism is a very big subject down here and white people are made to be looked down upon. You're absolutely right about if your a racist you can't be more racist than the other. The KKK and the Black Panthers are in the same boat. They both are racist groups. The NAACP was not created for ALL people. It was created for the Black people. I am so tired of having black history month and now the mexican history month. Why can't it be just American History. I will now take time to find solid points on my argument that the NAACP is a racist group and get back to you.

donaldbreland
10-17-2009, 06:14 AM
This is something I pulled off a kkk website. I was always told that the KKKK was formed in 1866 in Pulaski Tn and started a christian social club. They were formed to stop the carpetbaggers from taking away stuff from southern whites.
JB you said that the KKK was a violent hate group. This again was taken straight from their website. I want to say that any thing I place on here while looking up information about groups is not what I feel or think.

"There is a race war against whites. But our people - my white brothers and sisters - will stay committed to a non-violent resolution. That resolution must consist of solidarity in white communities around the world. The hatred for our children and their future is growing and is being fueled every single day. Stay firm in your convictions. Keep loving your heritage and keep witnessing to others that there is a better way than a war torn, violent, wicked, socialist, new world order. That way is the Christian way - law and order - love of family - love of nation. These are the principles of western Christian civilization. There is a war to destroy these things. Pray that our people see the error of their ways and regain a sense of loyalty. Repent America! Be faithful my fellow believers. "

National Director of The Knights

Pastor Thomas Robb
www.kkk.com is the source.

J.B.
10-17-2009, 07:09 AM
I have lived my whole life between the Chicago area and the Phoenix area. Most of my family is in the south in Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, and Georgia. so I completely understand the stereotypes that people from the south get. In fact my family in Tennessee lives in the Pulaski and Prospect area.

I think that there are some double standards and slight racist elements to the NAACP, but it's not a kin to groups like the Black Panthers or the KKK. The KKK IS considered a violent hate group for good reason no matter how they try sugar coat it on their website.

The NAACP was obviously engineered for Black people, but their message is not that of a superiority of Black people, just that of equal treatment. Sure, they probably have some racist activist supporters, but that does not mean they in the same boat as the KKK and certainly not worse.

I agree with you that we should all be looked at as equal, but I don't think things like Black history month, or Mexican history month should bother anybody any more than people saying "Merry Christmas" should bother anybody. We are all different, and we are allowed to be proud of who we are. If people want to call you racist, who cares? If you know you are not a racist, that is all that matters. :)

rearnakedchoke
10-17-2009, 02:51 PM
this moron was probably high on oxy that he doesn't even remember saying this crap ...

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Far as I'm concerned the KKK and Black Panthers are their races version of the other! They are both violent hate groups no matter what they claim! Now on the issue of Rush and the NFL I believe the NFL made thierselfs look like stupid hypocrites! Also the head of the Players Union has ties to ----The Obama administration!