PDA

View Full Version : Roman Polanski

Play The Man
10-07-2009, 05:57 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/polanski-rape-world-2591230-one-roman

As the feminists used to say in simpler times, "What part of 'No' don't you understand?"

Quite a lot, if the reaction to Roman Polanski's arrest is anything to go by. I didn't know, for one thing, that, if you decide to plow on regardless, the world's artists will rise as one to nail their colors to your mast.

Whoopi Goldberg offered a practical defense that what Polanski did was not "rape-rape," a distinction she left imprecisely delineated. Which may leave you with the vague impression that this was one of those deals where you're in a bar, and the gal says to you she's in 10th grade, and you find out afterward she's only in seventh. Hey, we've all been there, right? But in this particular instance Roman Polanski knew she was 13 years old and, when she declined his entreaties, drugged her with champagne and a Quaalude and then sodomized her. Twice. Which, even on the Whoopi scale, sounds less like rape, or even rape-rape, and more like rape-rape-rape-rape.

But heigh-ho. After pleading guilty, the non-non-rape-rapist skipped to Paris and took up with Nastassja Kinski, who was then 15, which in Polanski years puts her up there with Barbara Bush. He was eventually arrested en route to Zurich to receive a lifetime-achievement award no, no, not for the girls, for his movies. For three decades, he was, to be boringly legalistic about it, a fugitive from justice and there's no statute of limitations on that. But, of course, throughout that time, he was also a "great artist," which his fellow artists (Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese) and even the French Foreign and Culture Ministers think ought to trump a little long-ago misunderstanding over anal rape. The Berlin Film Festival announced collectively that it was shocked by "the arbitrary treatment of one of the world's most outstanding film directors," and defending the outstanding director because he's an outstanding director quickly became the standard line of defense. Debra Winger denounced the Swiss authorities for their "philistine collusion": No truly cultured society should be colluding with the "philistines" of American law enforcement. Polanski, explained the producer Harvey Weinstein, "is a man who cares deeply about his art and its place in the world." And if its place is occasionally in an involuntarily conscripted 13-year old, well, you can't make a "Hamlet" without breaking a few chicks. France's Society of Film Directors warned that the arrest of such an important artist "could have disastrous consequences for freedom of expression across the world".

Really? For the past two years, I've been in a long and weary battle up north to restore "freedom of expression" to Canada. On Monday afternoon, in fact, I'll be testifying on this very subject at the House of Commons in Ottawa, if France's Society of Film Directors or Debra Winger would like to swing by. Please, don't all stampede at once. Ottawa Airport can only handle so many Gulfstreams. If only I'd known how vital child rape was to "freedom of expression," my campaign could have taken off a lot earlier.

Let us stipulate that Roman Polanski has memories few of us would wish to bear. He is the only movie director to have had three generations of his immediate family murdered his mother, by the Nazis; his wife and unborn child, by Charles Manson's acolytes. The only reason he didn't wind up with his parents in Auschwitz is that, when he was 8, his father cut a hole in the barbed wire of the Warsaw ghetto and pushed his son out.

In a movie, the father would either die or survive for a tearful reunion with his boy. But after the war Polanski's dad remarried, and the new wife didn't want young Roman around. By the age of 13, the pattern of his life was set: That hurried escape through the wire of the ghetto would be only the first of a series of hasty exits.

In Swingin' London, he made his name with "Repulsion" (1965), in which Catherine Deneuve descends into schizophrenia and kills a man she believes has come to rape her. He hit Hollywood with "Rosemary's Baby" (1967), in which Mia Farrow is impregnated by the Devil. You could make the case that these films reflect the psychological burdens of his childhood if it weren't that they're almost freakily literal pre-echoes of the violence in his adult life. In 1969, Sharon Tate and four others were murdered at Polanski's house by a group called "Satan's Slaves." "I remember," wrote Joan Didion, "that no one was surprised."

One sympathizes. Except that there are millions of children of the Holocaust struggling under the burdens of the past and only one who deals with them as Roman Polanski does. Working on the film "Chinatown," the writer Robert Towne found it hard to concentrate at the director's pad, what with "the teenyboppers that Roman would run out and take Polaroid pictures of diving off the f***ing diving board without tops on. Which was distracting. With braces."

Braces. Cute. Harvey Weinstein, the man behind the pro-Polanski petition, rejects the idea that Hollywood is "amoral": "Hollywood has the best moral compass, because it has compassion," he told an interviewer.

Let us agree that Hollywood bigshots have "compassion" for people in general, for people far away in a big crowd scene on the distant horizon, for people in a we-are-the-world-we-are-the-children sense. But Hollywood bigshots treat people in particular, little people, individuals, like garbage. To Polanski, he was the world, you are the children; now take your kit off and let's have a "photo shoot."

The political class is beginning to recalibrate. In Paris, President Sarkozy's government withdrew its initial enthusiasm for Polanski after it emerged that even the boundlessly sophisticated French aren't eager to champion creepy child rapists just because they're celebrities. As Susan Estrich wrote, "Yes, he's made some big films in those years. So what?"

Hold that thought: "Big films," like what? Until "The Pianist" briefly revived his reputation, Polanski had spent the previous quarter-century making leaden comedies ("Pirates"), generic thrillers ("Frantic") and lame art-house nudie flicks ("Bitter Moon," with the not-yet-famous Hugh Grant). If that level of "great art" is all the justification you need for drugging and sodomizing 13-year-old girls, there won't be enough middle-schoolers to go round.

The cocky, strutting little Euro-swinger is old now, Roman in the gloamin', in the twilight of his career. The Polanski of "Chinatown" was a great director on his way up, his best years presumed to lie ahead. The junk of the past 30 years pretty much killed that. What he did wouldn't be justified if Polanski were Johann Sebastian Bach. But is this resume really "great art" to go to the wall for? Why, Harvey, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world, but for "Bitter Moon"?

And that, in turn, raises another question: Earlier bad boys Lord Byron, say were obliged to operate as "transgressive" artists within a broader moral order. Now we are told that a man such as Polanski cannot be subject to anything so footling as morality: He cannot "transgress" it because, by definition, he transcends it. Yet all truly great art is made in the tension between freedom and constraint. In demanding that an artist be placed above the laws of man, Harvey Weinstein & Co. are also putting him beyond the possibility of art. Which may explain the present state of the movie industry.

Mark Steyn smacks down Roman Polanski!

MattHughesRocks
10-07-2009, 06:20 AM
He did awful things to that girl no doubt..drugging her first..sick pervert bastard is what he is...but..it's been so many years.The girl doesn't even seem to give a crap anymore. Get over it I say....if he were to have gone to jail at the time he'd be out, off probation...carry on people, sheesh..

VCURamFan
10-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Anyone else look at this guy as the perfect argument in favor of the death penalty?:angry:

que
10-07-2009, 07:59 AM
lock him in an american prison where big black guys can rape him in the showers every week. give him a little taste of his own medicine

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Anyone else look at this guy as the perfect argument in favor of the death penalty?:angry:

Yep! ME! As for the get over it thing,NO NO and NO! Its Justice! We cant let him or anybody else by with child rape! I don't care if its some bigshot or a little ole nobody! He must be punished and to hear about these people taking up for him sickens me! If he done that to one of my kids he had better hope I don't get ahold of him EVER!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
lock him in an american prison where big black guys can rape him in the showers every week. give him a little taste of his own medicine

Maybe he could be put in a certain Kentucky Prison! In General population!:Whistle: From what I've heard some of them convicts know how to treat pedophiles!

rearnakedchoke
10-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I had an arguement with someone over this the other day, and a female at that .. she said that it should be over by now .. I say forget that .. all he had to do was report for sentencing and he was probably going to get another 45 days or so in prison .. IF THAT ..(which is BS in itself, but that's another story) he decided to skip the sentencing, flee to country and stay out of the country .. he is getting what he deserves imo ... who cares if he is an artist, he did something wrong, admitted it and now needs to pay for it .. i would be harsher in sentencing now given the fact that he has been a fugitive all these years.

suntereo
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
the case is no longer with the defendant since he plead guilty to the charges. He skipped town while awaiting charges, so now that he's in custody he should be given his sentance and serve it out. Plus he should be convicted of escape and being a fugitive. Anything he earned in the last 30 years should pay for the trial and given to the victim.

the victim is afraid of being drug back into court for something she has left behind, which is more than understandable. Fine, like I said he already plead guilty to the first charges, give him a week for that than throw the book at him for the felony of escaping custody and let him die in prison.

just my 2 cents

Crisco
10-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Lets not prosecute Nazi's anymore when we find them cause it happened so long ago.

See if the girl wants to press charges. If she doesn't then let it go.

MattHughesRocks
10-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Even the girl ( a grown woman now) is asking the judge to let it go.

Lets not prosecute Nazi's anymore when we find them cause it happened so long ago.

Crisco
10-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Even the girl ( a grown woman now) is asking the judge to let it go.

so they should let it go then

J.B.
10-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, the girl wants to let it go now, but there has also been allegations that the sex was consensual, and she did receive a cash settlement from Polanski.

Regardless of any of that, this is a matter of principle. He plead guilty to statutory rape. Then he skipped the country and became a fugitive and now he's been caught. There is no reason that we should drop the case, period.

I actually seen that some retarded French movie producer came out and said that the case is an outrage and should be dropped because Polanski has already paid for his crimes by not being able to make movies in Hollywood. Oh, boo frickin hoo, somebody should punch that idiot in the face.

rearnakedchoke
10-07-2009, 07:31 PM
so they should let it go then

nope, just cuz she got money, doesn't mean the thing should be forgotten .. and it has nothing to do with pressing charges .. he was charged and plead guilty ... it goes something like this ... he was sentenced to a 90 evaluation at a mental ward to which he went, they said after 40 days that he wasn't a future threat .. so the court was going to decide if he was to spend the rest of the term (about 40 something days) in jail or be free or be deported .. he had a hearing and he skipped the country and has not been back since .. there has been a warrant for his arrest and now he was arrested and is waiting extradition .. since he is is switzerland, they have a treaty with the US, so they should deport him ... his lawyers want him released on bond, but he can basically drive out of switzerland as they have lax borders .. so he is a flight risk .. neither poland nor france will extradite him .. they think his movies have more than made up for his crime .. LOL

i say if you have to ply a 13yo with booze and luudes to rape and sodomize her, you should have to pay for your crimes .. no matter how long ago it was ..

now i am sure i may have gotten a few details wrong, but i am sure someone will correct me

Crisco
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
If the girl(grown woman now) doesn't wish to press charges at this point he should be tried for skipping the country not for the rape.

I'm not saying I agreed with what he did lol I'm just saying if a grown up decided to say hey you sodomized me while I was drunk and high when I was 13 but I'm over it and were cool now they should let that case go.

BUT he should be tried for skipping the country.

MattHughesRocks
10-08-2009, 12:35 AM
I just don't understand how over 30 years later it matters all of the sudden. It seems more like someone wants to prove a point more then they think he really needs to be punished all these years.What's up with that?

rearnakedchoke
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
I just don't understand how over 30 years later it matters all of the sudden. It seems more like someone wants to prove a point more then they think he really needs to be punished all these years.What's up with that?

It never did go away over the last three years though ... it has always been an issue surrounding polanksi .. that is why he has been staying out of the US .. because france wouldn't extradite him (surprise, surprise) ... they heard he was going to be at a swiss airport, they waited for him, saw him and nailed him ... so now that he is caught, since the warrant is still open, he will be extradited to the US unless they dismiss it ... but i don't think they will ...

rearnakedchoke
10-08-2009, 02:40 PM
If the girl(grown woman now) doesn't wish to press charges at this point he should be tried for skipping the country not for the rape.

I'm not saying I agreed with what he did lol I'm just saying if a grown up decided to say hey you sodomized me while I was drunk and high when I was 13 but I'm over it and were cool now they should let that case go.

BUT he should be tried for skipping the country.

I don't know the US law that well, but I don't think it has anything to do with her now .. he has already been charged, plead guilty and sentenced (initially)

Neezar
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM

This not about prosecuting anyone. He has already been prosecuted and found guilty. He did the crime, he must serve his time.

But in this particular instance Roman Polanski knew she was 13 years old and, when she declined his entreaties, drugged her with champagne and a Quaalude and then sodomized her. Twice. Which, even on the Whoopi scale, sounds less like rape, or even rape-rape, and more like rape-rape-rape-rape.

Let someone drug your 13 yoa daughter or sister and then see if you can stand up and say let it go. When it came time to go to jail he ran. Remorseful, maybe? Hell no! He went straight to a 15 yoa girl. wtf, Chris? :angry:

Neezar
10-08-2009, 05:57 PM
France's Society of Film Directors warned that the arrest of such an important artist "could have disastrous consequences for freedom of expression across the world".

Disgusting! And this is a perfect example of why he shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. If he shouldn't have to go to prison for raping a 13 yoa then who should? If we pardon him because he is an artist then where will it end?

Neezar
10-08-2009, 05:58 PM

So if he had gotten caught after 15 years then should he have to do his time? What about 5 years later? How long do these folks need to start hiding out before they can just skip the prison time? And who decides how many years?

Bonnie
10-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I agree with Denise. He needs to come back and pay the piper. If he hadn't run, all this would be behind him now. If they let him get away with this because he ran and managed to allude the law for 30 years, like Denise said, where will it end. Others who committ such crimes will look at this and figure they can just do the same thing and get away with it.

It's always angered me that with rape their is a statute of limitations. Too many people have gotten away with rape because the statute of limitation ran out before they were caught. :angry:

All these artists and Hollywood people crying over his arrest, it's crazy. I wonder if it had been their daughter he drugged and sodomized, if they would be so quick to plead his case. Who knows how many other young girls he did this too over the years.

MattHughesRocks
10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Oooooooh, I didnt know about the France thing. I just knew that everyone knew where he was all this time and couldnt understand why "all of the sudden" they were after him again..I don't read things through :ashamed:
Anyway, makes perfect sence now:laugh:

It never did go away over the last three years though ... it has always been an issue surrounding polanksi .. that is why he has been staying out of the US .. because france wouldn't extradite him (surprise, surprise) ... they heard he was going to be at a swiss airport, they waited for him, saw him and nailed him ... so now that he is caught, since the warrant is still open, he will be extradited to the US unless they dismiss it ... but i don't think they will ...

MattHughesRocks
10-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Wow, what a perv:scared0015:

This not about prosecuting anyone. He has already been prosecuted and found guilty. He did the crime, he must serve his time.

Let someone drug your 13 yoa daughter or sister and then see if you can stand up and say let it go. When it came time to go to jail he ran. Remorseful, maybe? Hell no! He went straight to a 15 yoa girl. wtf, Chris? :angry:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-09-2009, 02:59 PM

I think you may have even more knowledge of what all he done than I do! What little I know is enough to make me say hang him. So I for one won't mind if you post more info on him. Just no graphic details please!

Neezar
10-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I think you may have even more knowledge of what all he done than I do! What little I know is enough to make me say hang him. So I for one won't mind if you post more info on him. Just no graphic details please!

I got that part from the article.

Whoopi Goldberg offered a practical defense that what Polanski did was not "rape-rape," a distinction she left imprecisely delineated. Which may leave you with the vague impression that this was one of those deals where you're in a bar, and the gal says to you she's in 10th grade, and you find out afterward she's only in seventh. Hey, we've all been there, right? But in this particular instance Roman Polanski knew she was 13 years old and, when she declined his entreaties, drugged her with champagne and a Quaalude and then sodomized her. Twice. Which, even on the Whoopi scale, sounds less like rape, or even rape-rape, and more like rape-rape-rape-rape.

But heigh-ho. After pleading guilty, the non-non-rape-rapist skipped to Paris and took up with Nastassja Kinski, who was then 15, which in Polanski years puts her up there with Barbara Bush.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-10-2009, 05:46 AM
I missed the part about the 15 yo!

Neezar
10-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Working on the film "Chinatown," the writer Robert Towne found it hard to concentrate at the director's pad, what with "the teenyboppers that Roman would run out and take Polaroid pictures of diving off the f***ing diving board without tops on. Which was distracting. With braces."

This man had a problem.