Ohio
Massachusetts
New York

International:

Canada
London
Belize

I think that's everything...

Have you never been to Washington DC :huh: Oh Ben you live so close to the place, you really should go even if its just for a day or so...its fantastic :laugh: BTW out of interest, how did you get to Wyoming? only Amtrak seams to avoid that State like the Plague...its the silent State you never hear about

matthughesfan21
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
United States

Illinois of course
Minnesota
Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa
Missouri
Indiana
Colorado
Kentucky
Kansas
Nebraska
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Ohio
Massachusetts
Virginia
D.C.
Vermont
New York
Maine
New Hampshire
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Jersey
Deleware
Maryland
Georgia
Alabama
Mississipi
Tennessee
Louisiana

basically the whole east side of the US i think

International

Canada

matthughesfan21
10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Have you never been to Washington DC :huh: Oh Ben you live so close to the place, you really should go even if its just for a day or so...its fantastic :laugh:you must have only seen the tourist part of DC :laugh:

VCURamFan
10-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Have you never been to Washington DC :huh: Oh Ben you live so close to the place, you really should go even if its just for a day or so...its fantastic :laugh: BTW out of interest, how did you get to Wyoming? only Amtrak seams to avoid that State like the Plague...its the silent State you never hear about
O yeah, I had forgotten that. Thanks for reminding me! As for Wyomoing, my family & I went to Colorado, rented a car & drove to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. It was gorgeous & one of my favorite vacations ever!

O, & I've been to the crappy part of DC, too! :laugh:

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 06:08 PM
you must have only seen the tourist part of DC :laugh:

:huh:

I saw everything between the Supreme Court to the East, Arlington to the West, Ronald Reagan international Airport to the South and Union Station to the North.

Basically the bit that was designed by the European Guy. In the distance I saw what was probably the financial district further up the river sorta maybe beyond and slightly north of Arlington, there were a few skyscrapers but it didnt look very big. I never covered the two suberbs heading towards Washington National to the North West and The Arboretum to the North East.

I planned on seeing the Pentagon but ran out of time, it falls within the boundaries I set...I also only saw Arlington Cemetary from across the River, I would have liked to visit that aswell...but you know, it took me two days to do the Federal Triangle, the White House, Washington, Lincoln, Vietnam, Korea, WW2 WW1 FDR Jefferson the Mall and Smithsonian, the Botanical Gardens, Space Center, American Indians Museum, Natural History Museum, American History Museum, several Art Galleries, the Congress Building, the Congressional Library The Supreme Court...and a Partridge in a pair tree :laugh:

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
O yeah, I had forgotten that. Thanks for reminding me! As for Wyomoing, my family & I went to Colorado, rented a car & drove to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. It was gorgeous & one of my favorite vacations ever!

O, & I've been to the crappy part of DC, too! :laugh:

where is the crappy bit :huh:

I liked the city but I couldnt live there because its WAY to much like a European City. I'd need to reside in somewhere a bit more obviously American like Chicago. I loved Chicago you know :w00t:

VCURamFan
10-05-2009, 06:13 PM

I liked the city but I couldnt live there because its WAY to much like a European City. I'd need to reside in somewhere a bit more obviously American like Chicago. I loved Chicago you know :w00t:
Hahaha, Chicago's the most corrupt city in the Midwest!!!:laugh:

matthughesfan21
10-05-2009, 06:14 PM

I liked the city but I couldnt live there because its WAY to much like a European City. I'd need to reside in somewhere a bit more obviously American like Chicago. I loved Chicago you know :w00t:basically the whole part of the city where people actually live, haha its kind of rough neighborhoods once you live the tourist places

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Hahaha, Chicago's the most corrupt city in the Midwest!!!:laugh:

but its a Beautiful City. Well...the central bit is, the suberbs are not so nice, its just like Liverpool. The docks are very well kept, and everything is within very easy walking distance....but go out of the centre and you find its not so nice. I'd have to live city centre...but thats fine...because I have pictures of my future appartment in Chicago. I was busy walking through the city and I stumbled on a place called Marina City, its just up from the Delta but not as far as where the rivers merge. Its made of two circular towers full of penthouse appartment suites, and they have balconies. I want the East Side of the East Tower so I can look down on Navy Pier :laugh:

I would go down and take a Water Taxi everyday down river and across the harbour to wherever I worked.

The pictures arent up loaded yet...but guess what...many of them are still up for rent :w00t: only trouble is...they are a tad expensive :sad: I'd need some kinda Executive Job really. :unsure-1: Yet there wasnt much Executive that I saw in Chicago outside of a few banks and a stock exchange :blink: I suppose the rest was out of sight in office blocks, there were plenty of unmarked skyscrapers everywhere that have to be full of something.

Whatever I do, I'd make sure to get on the board of whoever sorts out the music in the Millenial Park, they have a huge open air stadium with music on alot of the time. I arrived just in time to see a Turkish Group perform...i've got a video...but yet again, its not uploaded yet :rolleyes:

matthughesfan21
10-05-2009, 06:25 PM
but its a Beautiful City. Well...the central bit is, the suberbs are not so nice, its just like Liverpool. The docks are very well kept, and everything is within very easy walking distance....but go out of the centre and you find its not so nice. I'd have to live city centre...but thats fine...because I have pictures of my future appartment in Chicago. I was busy walking through the city and I stumbled on a place called Marina City, its just up from the Delta but not as far as where the rivers merge. Its made of two circular towers full of penthouse appartment suites, and they have balconies. I want the East Side of the East Tower so I can look down on Navy Pier :laugh:

I would go down and take a Water Taxi everyday down river and across the harbour to wherever I worked.

The pictures arent up loaded yet...but guess what...many of them are still up for rent :w00t: only trouble is...they are a tad expensive :sad: I'd need some kinda Executive Job really. :unsure-1: Yet there wasnt much Executive that I saw in Chicago outside of a few banks and a stock exchange :blink: I suppose the rest was out of sight in office blocks, there were plenty of unmarked skyscrapers everywhere that have to be full of something.

Whatever I do, I'd make sure to get on the board of whoever sorts out the music in the Millenial Park, they have a huge open air stadium with music on alot of the time. I arrived just in time to see a Turkish Group perform...i've got a video...but yet again, its not uploaded yet :rolleyes:some of the suburbs of chicago are really nice...Naperville is ritzy, but there are bad suburbs too, like cicero for example.....overall its a really cool city, I love going there, i just don't think i would want to live there because of the chicago political machine

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 06:27 PM
basically the whole part of the city where people actually live, haha its kind of rough neighborhoods once you live the tourist places

:mellow: oh...well I couldnt live there. Its too European for me. The buildings are two low and squat, the symetry is very Continental, the buildings are all mock classical, its a combination of the Med in terms of style, and Northern Europe in terms of structure.

It didnt feel American, except for the specific Monuments, it could have been a German or French city down near the Med...That really shocked me actually...and you know I came to America to escape from that kinda feeling :laugh:

So its alright..I wont never live by choice in DC...although I think they have quite a good Mayor...I saw him on TV several times :w00t:

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 06:29 PM
some of the suburbs of chicago are really nice...Naperville is ritzy, but there are bad suburbs too, like cicero for example.....overall its a really cool city, I love going there, i just don't think i would want to live there because of the chicago political machine

Do you know where Marina City is? have you seen the towers?? :w00t:

J.B.
10-05-2009, 06:38 PM
some of the suburbs of chicago are really nice...Naperville is ritzy, but there are bad suburbs too, like cicero for example.....overall its a really cool city, I love going there, i just don't think i would want to live there because of the chicago political machine

Naperville is full of snobs.

Chicago is dirty and WAY overpriced. Really, I grew up around Chicago and the suburbs and even though it will always be "home", I don't miss it too much. The only things I really love about the city are the sports teams, the food, and some of the venues I used to play at.

Places I have been multiple times for work and play...

Illinois
Arizona
Indiana
Wisconsin
Iowa
Missouri
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Alabama
Kentucky
Arkansas
Georgia
Florida
Texas
New Mexico
California
Mexico

matthughesfan21
10-05-2009, 06:41 PM
I know several people from naperville and they are really down to earth, you couldn't even tell they are rich from how they act....i do think it would be snobby thoughNaperville is full of snobs.

Chicago is dirty and WAY overpriced. Really, I grew up around Chicago and the suburbs and even though it will always be "home", I don't miss it too much. The only things I really love about the city are the sports teams, the food, and some of the venues I used to play at.

Places I have been multiple times for work and play...

Illinois
Arizona
Indiana
Wisconsin
Iowa
Missouri
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Alabama
Kentucky
Arkansas
Georgia
Florida
Texas
New Mexico
California
Mexico

matthughesfan21
10-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Do you know where Marina City is? have you seen the towers?? :w00t:ive been there and those towers are pretty sweet

County Mike
10-05-2009, 06:48 PM
I've been up and down the entire east coast from Toronto/Maine to Florida Keys. In addition to that, I've also been west of NJ (driving) through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. I've been to Hell, Michigan. In Illinois I spent most of my time in Joliet but also got to golf in Bolingbrook. For work, I've been to Dallas, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, Palm Beach Island and Fort Lauderdale. Went to Arizona for my honeymoon. Rafted four days down the green river in Utah (started in Moab). Went to a wedding in Wichita, KS. Went to another wedding in Las Vegas, NV and played golf at an awesome course in Mesquite, NV.

I still have plenty of the country to see. Outside the US I've only been to Canada. I was born in Spain but I don't remember any of that. Came to the United States when I before I was two.

Bonnie
10-05-2009, 06:48 PM
I've visited Eleven States in America

Michigan
Illinois
Iowa
Missouri
Indiana
Ohio
Pensylvania
West Virginia
Maryland
The District of Colombia
Virginia

In Europe

England
Scotland
Wales
The Republic of Eire
The Channel Island of Guernsey
France
Germany
Holland/Neatherlands
Belgium
Switzerland
Greece

I've never been anywhere else

I have future plans to visit

Florida
Alabama
Arizona
Nevada
California
Idaho
Washington
New York
New Jersey

and

Egypt
Jordan
Israel
Peru
Cambodia

:laugh:

Uh, Dave, aren't you missing a state on that "future" list? :Whistle:

J.B.
10-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I know several people from naperville and they are really down to earth, you couldn't even tell they are rich from how they act....i do think it would be snobby though

I lived in Joliet and Plainfield most of my life, and I know a lot of people from Naperville too. I have a lot of friends in Naperville. I am not saying all people there are snobs, but A LOT are.

Take a cruise to Riverwalk, or downtown Naperville, you would see what I mean. It's generally a widely accepted fact in that area that peeps in N-Ville think their poop don't stink. The funny thing is, a lot of the new people in Naperville in the last decade are just people who came from Chicago and the northwest suburbs. I remember when that was all cornfields!!! :laugh:

J.B.
10-05-2009, 06:55 PM
In Illinois I spent most of my time in Joliet but also got to golf in Bolingbrook.

Crazy...what brought you to Prison City?

Play The Man
10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I've visited Eleven States in America

Michigan
Illinois
Iowa
Missouri
Indiana
Ohio
Pensylvania
West Virginia
Maryland
The District of Colombia
Virginia

In Europe

England
Scotland
Wales
The Republic of Eire
The Channel Island of Guernsey
France
Germany
Holland/Neatherlands
Belgium
Switzerland
Greece

I've never been anywhere else

I have future plans to visit

Florida
Alabama
Arizona
Nevada
California
Idaho
Washington
New York
New Jersey

and

Egypt
Jordan
Israel
Peru
Cambodia

Tyburn, I am going to be a jerk and rain on your parade. Washington, D.C. is not a state, so you are going to have to subtract it and be content with ten states. On the positive side, you could create a new category entitled, "districts", and add Washington, D.C. to it.:tongue0011:

matthughesfan21
10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I lived in Joliet and Plainfield most of my life, and I know a lot of people from Naperville too. I have a lot of friends in Naperville. I am not saying all people there are snobs, but A LOT are.

Take a cruise to Riverwalk, or downtown Naperville, you would see what I mean. It's generally a widely accepted fact in that area that peeps in N-Ville think their poop don't stink. The funny thing is, a lot of the new people in Naperville in the last decade are just people who came from Chicago and the northwest suburbs. I remember when that was all cornfields!!! :laugh:
oh i agree with you there def....it is a really nice neighborhood though, but with that you also get self centered assholes, its the same for anywhere you go usually...I have some friends here at school from Plainfield also

Play The Man
10-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Do you know where Marina City is? have you seen the towers?? :w00t:

I know the buildings that you are talking about. Please view this Allstate insurance commercial. I think it will look familiar to you:http://www.metacafe.com/watch/907718/allstate_commercial_car_crash_off_marina_towers/

matthughesfan21
10-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Crazy...what brought you to Prison City?
it was court ordered, he was just doing his time and moving on:laugh:

County Mike
10-05-2009, 07:16 PM
it was court ordered, he was just doing his time and moving on:laugh:

I don't really like to talk about my time on the inside. Once I got out, my brother, Elwood, showed me the old cop car that he converted into our new Blues mobile and we went on a mission from God.

matthughesfan21
10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't really like to talk about my time on the inside. Once I got out, my brother, Elwood, showed me the old cop car that he converted into our new Blues mobile and we went on a mission from God.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

did you see statesville when you were in joliet though?

County Mike
10-05-2009, 07:28 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

did you see statesville when you were in joliet though?

No, didn't see Statesville. Just Joliet. Cruised through New Lenox and a few other towns in the area too. Lots of corn and soybeans.

NateR
10-05-2009, 07:29 PM
States that I've lived in for 90 days or more:
Missouri
Texas
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Georgia
Illinois

States that I've visited:
California
South Carolina
Louisiana
Minnesota

Countries that I've lived in for 90 days or more:
Germany
Croatia
Bosnia
South Korea

Countries that I've visited:
England
Austria
Ireland
Hungary
Mexico

J.B.
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM
No, didn't see Statesville. Just Joliet. Cruised through New Lenox and a few other towns in the area too. Lots of corn and soybeans.

Not so much corn anymore.

Everything has turned into strip malls and houses that they throw together in a week. It's still home to me, even though it's ghetto. :laugh:

County Mike
10-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I actually stayed at the Gougar farm on Gougar road (off I-80). That's the father of my ex-girlfriend. It was all corn and soybeans there.

J.B.
10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I actually stayed at the Gougar farm on Gougar road (off I-80). That's the father of my ex-girlfriend. It was all corn and soybeans there.

Yeah, that side of town is still pretty wide open actually. They put the Chicagoland race track down there, but most of the east side, Preston Heights, and New Lennox area is still rather old school.

Boomer
10-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Been to all the states but the Dakota's, Hawaii, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming and Vermont.

Countries:

Mexico
Candida
England
Ireland
Spain
France
Germany
Italy
Croatia
Albania
Malta
Morocco
Georgia (The country)
Turkey
Saudi Arabia
Bahran
Qatar
Iraq
Afghanistan
Greece
Macedonia
Vatican City
Kuwait

TexasRN
10-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Been to all the states but the Dakota's, Hawaii, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming and Vermont.

Countries:

Mexico
Candida
England
Ireland
Spain
France
Germany
Italy
Croatia
Albania
Malta
Morocco
Georgia (The country)
Turkey
Saudi Arabia
Bahran
Qatar
Iraq
Afghanistan
Greece
Macedonia
Vatican City
Kuwait

Let's go to Hawaii!! :w00t:

I've been to Vermont. It's really pretty there. Good skiing.

~Amy

Boomer
10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Let's go to Hawaii!! :w00t:

I've been to Vermont. It's really pretty there. Good skiing.

~Amy

Humm good idea. I was looking for an idea for a MOD trip sometime next summer. I'll work out the detales. :wink:

TexasRN
10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Humm good idea. I was looking for an idea for a MOD trip sometime next summer. I'll work out the detales. :wink:

:w00t: Yeah, let's do it!

~Amy

Boomer
10-05-2009, 09:37 PM
:w00t: Yeah, let's do it!

~Amy

OK ... lets find a date we all can go. :happydancing:

Play The Man
10-05-2009, 09:48 PM

Countries:

Mexico
Candida
England
Ireland
Spain
France
Germany
Italy
Croatia
Albania
Malta
Morocco
Georgia (The country)
Turkey
Saudi Arabia
Bahran
Qatar
Iraq
Afghanistan
Greece
Macedonia
Vatican City
Kuwait

You've been to Delaware and New Jersey, but not Wyoming, North Dakota, Alaska, Montana or Hawaii?!?! Priorities, Boomer, priorities!

Play The Man
10-05-2009, 09:53 PM

I wish I knew someone who had a beach-house in Hawaii.

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Naperville is full of snobs.

:) well I enjoyed it even though you were not there :sad:

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 09:56 PM
ive been there and those towers are pretty sweet

:w00t: yes, they are fantastic arent they!!! thats where I'd like to live :happydancing:

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Uh, Dave, aren't you missing a state on that "future" list? :Whistle:

TEXAS :laugh:

I was just checking to see if you were still awake :ashamed:

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Tyburn, I am going to be a jerk and rain on your parade. Washington, D.C. is not a state, so you are going to have to subtract it and be content with ten states. On the positive side, you could create a new category entitled, "districts", and add Washington, D.C. to it.:tongue0011:

I looked on a map...I was pretty sure the district was classed as one of the States...it does have its own District Government...I know...I saw the building :laugh:

But then...I suppose that would make 51 states wouldnt it...so what do we say? is it classed as a Territory instead? like Guam, or American Samoa? or whatever :huh:

Boomer
10-05-2009, 10:03 PM
You've been to Delaware and New Jersey, but not Wyoming, North Dakota, Alaska, Montana or Hawaii?!?! Priorities, Boomer, priorities!

:laugh: Yea Jersey wasn't all that bad. South Jersey actually is pretty nice and of course I go to AC for fights!!

Ill make it to Alaska and Hawaii for sure. Then Australia and I'll be ready to settle down.

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I know the buildings that you are talking about. Please view this Allstate insurance commercial. I think it will look familiar to you:http://www.metacafe.com/watch/907718/allstate_commercial_car_crash_off_marina_towers/

:ninja: Yep...those are the towers all right, I have some magnificent pictures of them and myself...I happened to hand my camera to a proper photographer :laugh:

Play The Man
10-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I looked on a map...I was pretty sure the district was classed as one of the States...it does have its own District Government...I know...I saw the building :laugh:

But then...I suppose that would make 51 states wouldnt it...so what do we say? is it classed as a Territory instead? like Guam, or American Samoa? or whatever :huh:

It is classified as a "district". As best I know it is the only "district" in the U.S. (someone can correct me if I am wrong). There are several "territories" like Puerto Rico, American Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands.

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Vatican City

Youve been to the Vatican???

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I wish I knew someone who had a beach-house in Hawaii.

:laugh::laugh:

But Hawaii is like a VERY long way to go :mellow:

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 10:11 PM
It is classified as a "district". As best I know it is the only "district" in the U.S. (someone can correct me if I am wrong). There are several "territories" like Puerto Rico, American Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands.

silly Question...but you know during a Presidential Ellection....when do the Territories vote? :huh:

Play The Man
10-05-2009, 10:13 PM
:laugh: Yea Jersey wasn't all that bad. South Jersey actually is pretty nice and of course I go to AC for fights!!

Ill make it to Alaska and Hawaii for sure. Then Australia and I'll be ready to settle down.

Don't forget Montana. You must go flyfishing in Montana. I have been several times and it is probably one of my favorite places on earth. In addition, you have to go to Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Tetons up in the corner of Wyoming. Of course, the Dakotas have Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, and the Black Hills - you can't miss them.

Play The Man
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
silly Question...but you know during a Presidential Ellection....when do the Territories vote? :huh:

The territories don't have a vote in the electoral college so they don't vote for the president. I believe they can vote in the presidential primary elections to pick a Democrat or Republican presidential candidate. The territories have a member in the House of Representatives but it is a non-voting position.

Play The Man
10-05-2009, 10:29 PM

There have been groups pushing to make D.C. a state, but if I recall off the top of my head, D.C.'s status is spelled out in the Constitution so it would require an amendment to the Constitution. D.C. has a non-voting member in the House of Representatives. Some have proposed that the people be absorbed into the surrounding states for purposes of representation. There have also been groups trying to make Puerto Rico the 51st state.

J.B.
10-05-2009, 11:12 PM
:) well I enjoyed it even though you were not there :sad:

:sad:

yeah that is a bummer.

Well, when you do decide to come visit Arizona I will probably move back to Chicago! :tongue0011:

Seriously though, I was looking forward to meeting you, and then family things and a better work opportunity came along back here in AZ. I didn't really have much of a window to make my decision. Still, I am glad you had a good trip, the road trip I had moving all my stuff 1,800 miles was somewhat of a nightmare!

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 11:44 PM
The territories don't have a vote in the electoral college so they don't vote for the president. I believe they can vote in the presidential primary elections to pick a Democrat or Republican presidential candidate. The territories have a member in the House of Representatives but it is a non-voting position.

You mean your overseas Collonial outposts are not represented Democratically in Congress? Do they not have full American Citizenship?? They dont have access to truely be able to vote fairly? Cant ellect their representatives....Wowser...sucks to be Guam dont it :blink:

I seam to recall that Several of your States reacted very badly to that kinda rule when they were overseas collonial outposts of England

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 11:58 PM
There have been groups pushing to make D.C. a state, but if I recall off the top of my head, D.C.'s status is spelled out in the Constitution so it would require an amendment to the Constitution. D.C. has a non-voting member in the House of Representatives. Some have proposed that the people be absorbed into the surrounding states for purposes of representation. There have also been groups trying to make Puerto Rico the 51st state.

Well its not so bad for The District of Columbia, because they are right on the Apex of three different States, much of the residential area of the city actually spills north into Delaware, and West into Maryland, and South into Virginia....

What qualifications do the territories need to become States? Can they become States independant of the Federation, and then choose not to join it? thus, in a round about way be default then become independant of the US?? I know that when the States were more like collonial outposts, they existed as States before joining the Union in some manner, Several like Texas and Hawaii were completely independant fully fledged nations in their own right, Texas being a Republic, and Hawaii being Monarchic. The rest just seemed to be governed either by Foreign powers and thus after independance from them joined the Union, or they seemed to be more or less run as city states by a council...I guess that council would become the State Government on acception

Washington DC I can understand being an exception because it is a Capitol, interestingly, Its kinda the State of The Union, litterally isnt it, it has not Voice because it is the Hive Mind of the Federal Government which is the collective State Governments all in communion of Congress...but I am suprised at how the Territories are governed. I suppose they are all tiny Islands really, so it doesnt truely matter...but I'm still a bit suprised.

You know I sat in on the House of Representatives...its like Parliament...only even more boring :laugh: In Parliament, people shout at each other about boring things, in Congress they are more respectful which just makes the boring things, even more boring. They were discussing a waterway that was due to close. I think the Democrats were closing it, and the Republicans were unhappy because that meant all the river transport would be diverted across land, more trucks, more congestion, more shyte on the streets, etc. Your Government is tame in its debates compared to ours...One Democrat (I wasnt in the Gallery at the time) but he said that on the Health Bill the Republicans just wanted people to either not get sick...or to die quickly...now in England, the parties slag each other off like that ALL the time....but both Democrats and Republicans were horrified, truely, honnestly sickened...its the second time in a month that this has happened...last time...some guy just shouted out in the middle of the Presidents Speach...sounds like they virtually through him out of congress as though it were a capitol offence...bizzare

I got to see the Supreme Court but only from outside. England is about to institute a Supreme Court...and the Government dont like it :laugh: I was frightened to go in because this was after I nearly got arrrested in Iowa...sooo I thought I'd take a snap, REALLLLY QUICKLY!!! and then run away :laugh:

Chris F
10-06-2009, 12:38 AM
California
Washington
Oregon
Nevada,
Utah
Colorado
New Mexico
Arizona
Texas,
Kansas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Illinois
Iowa

Canada
Mexico

Play The Man
10-06-2009, 02:04 AM
You mean your overseas Collonial outposts are not represented Democratically in Congress? Do they not have full American Citizenship?? They dont have access to truely be able to vote fairly? Cant ellect their representatives....Wowser...sucks to be Guam dont it :blink:

I seam to recall that Several of your States reacted very badly to that kinda rule when they were overseas collonial outposts of England

They have a representative in the House of Representatives but that representative can't vote. I believe the representative can debate and make political deals with other politicians but they are not a voting member. I think the people of the territories are "American Nationals" and not "American Citizens". I don't know what the exact difference is in terms of rights. To be honest, this is not an area in which I have a lot of knowledge.

bradwright
10-06-2009, 02:24 AM
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Wyoming
Nevada
Utah
Washington
Nebraska
Colorado
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Missouri
Kentucky
Tennessee
Arkansas
Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Georgia
Florida
North Carolina
South Carolina
Virginia

Mexico
Canada.

Play The Man
10-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Well its not so bad for The District of Columbia, because they are right on the Apex of three different States, much of the residential area of the city actually spills north into Delaware, and West into Maryland, and South into Virginia....

What qualifications do the territories need to become States? Can they become States independant of the Federation, and then choose not to join it? thus, in a round about way be default then become independant of the US?? I know that when the States were more like collonial outposts, they existed as States before joining the Union in some manner, Several like Texas and Hawaii were completely independant fully fledged nations in their own right, Texas being a Republic, and Hawaii being Monarchic. The rest just seemed to be governed either by Foreign powers and thus after independance from them joined the Union, or they seemed to be more or less run as city states by a council...I guess that council would become the State Government on acception

Washington DC I can understand being an exception because it is a Capitol, interestingly, Its kinda the State of The Union, litterally isnt it, it has not Voice because it is the Hive Mind of the Federal Government which is the collective State Governments all in communion of Congress...but I am suprised at how the Territories are governed. I suppose they are all tiny Islands really, so it doesnt truely matter...but I'm still a bit suprised.

You know I sat in on the House of Representatives...its like Parliament...only even more boring :laugh: In Parliament, people shout at each other about boring things, in Congress they are more respectful which just makes the boring things, even more boring. They were discussing a waterway that was due to close. I think the Democrats were closing it, and the Republicans were unhappy because that meant all the river transport would be diverted across land, more trucks, more congestion, more shyte on the streets, etc. Your Government is tame in its debates compared to ours...One Democrat (I wasnt in the Gallery at the time) but he said that on the Health Bill the Republicans just wanted people to either not get sick...or to die quickly...now in England, the parties slag each other off like that ALL the time....but both Democrats and Republicans were horrified, truely, honnestly sickened...its the second time in a month that this has happened...last time...some guy just shouted out in the middle of the Presidents Speach...sounds like they virtually through him out of congress as though it were a capitol offence...bizzare

I got to see the Supreme Court but only from outside. England is about to institute a Supreme Court...and the Government dont like it :laugh: I was frightened to go in because this was after I nearly got arrrested in Iowa...sooo I thought I'd take a snap, REALLLLY QUICKLY!!! and then run away :laugh:

You have many good questions, Tyburn. I am not certain of the answers. Many of the territories were taken over from Spain following our victory in the Spanish-American War over 100 years ago. Cuba and the Philippines went on to become independent countries. Although the people of the territories can't vote for the president and don't have a voting member of the House of Representatives, it is not all bad for them. I believe that they don't pay taxes to the American government, yet they receive millions of dollars in U.S. government spending on things like infrastructure and social spending. Most of the territories benefit economically from increased tourism and the spending of the U.S. military. Guam has a huge U.S. military presence. They benefit financially from this arrangement and they are protected by the mightiest military force on earth. American Samoa just suffered from an earthquake and tsunami and American aid is on its way in the form of assistance from the U.S. military and U.S. charities such as the Red Cross.

The last state to enter the union was Hawaii in 1959, so statehood is not an issue that comes up frequently.

There was recently a controversy in which a Republican House member from South Carolina yelled out, "You Lie!", during President Obama's speech. He was censured by the House. Pundits were making comments to the effect that behavior like that may be tolerated in the British Parliament by it will not be tolerated in the U.S. House of Representatives!

Buzzard
10-06-2009, 02:41 AM
When I lived in SoCal I went from the beaches to the desert to the snowy mountains all in one day. That was one fun day. Getting blotto in Tijuana was a blast too, except when we were hassled by the Federales.

bj44
10-06-2009, 05:58 AM
states
michigian
ohio
indiana
wisconsin
illinois
california
arizona

countries
canada

god im boring i dont travel much..... grew up just outside of monteal but live in dupage county just outside of chicago now...

Tyburn
10-06-2009, 11:52 AM
They have a representative in the House of Representatives but that representative can't vote. I believe the representative can debate and make political deals with other politicians but they are not a voting member. I think the people of the territories are "American Nationals" and not "American Citizens". I don't know what the exact difference is in terms of rights. To be honest, this is not an area in which I have a lot of knowledge.

Before I joined this forum I didnt even know America Had any Territories :laugh:

It was all very strict at the Capitol Building...you had to enter by a big Subteranian Hall, massive, underneith the car park on the East Side...you know I wasnt actually sure which was the main entrance to the building itself...everyone seemed to enter on the east side...and yet its the West Vista which is probably the true front entrance.

So I walked round the building and thought that I wouldnt be able to get in, and then headed off in the direction on the Court, and down the stairs to a lower terrace was the underground Entrance. There is like a museum and a gallery down there and all sorts. This security guard asked me where I was from, and I told him I was from England so he gave me permission to go into the Gallery and listen to whatever was going on at the time :w00t: He was really nice, despite the fact he was holding a submachine gun :unsure::laugh:

Tyburn
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Pundits were making comments to the effect that behavior like that may be tolerated in the British Parliament by it will not be tolerated in the U.S. House of Representatives!

Oh yes...in Parliament, they dont waste time being nice to each other, they have it out in a verbal sparring match quite honnestly :laugh: The only time the House is as Quiet as Congress is when the Queen is present. They behave themselves then :laugh: Although your Citizens dont prize the President, your Government pretty much treats him like Royalty :) I understand and find that beffitting to be sure...but I was still quite suprised at how quaint and...strangely regulated it all was.

Politics isnt really supposed to be as....dignified...as that :laugh:

Twinsmama
10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
States:
Florida
Georgia
West Virginia (passed through North and South Carolina)

no other countries.

I know I don't get out much. I have never seen snow or ice on the ground either. We had a little frost a couple times in the last 30 years!

Tyburn
10-06-2009, 04:53 PM
West Virginia

It absolutely Beautiful countryside isnt it! There are like some mountains and there is lots of green lush forrest, and there are loads of little rivers and stuff...I Really enjoyed what I saw of it on the train. I cant get over how green that portion of the East actually is..in Richmond, its like the forrest is retaking the city...there are trees EVERYWHERE...in England some plants have the ability to force themselves through tarmac, and often by the side of the roads you will have a tiny volcano like strucutre with a plant poping outta the top...well Richmond is like the Tarmac, and the Trees are like the plant, they pop up everywhere :laugh:

bj44
10-06-2009, 05:02 PM
It absolutely Beautiful countryside isnt it! There are like some mountains and there is lots of green lush forrest, and there are loads of little rivers and stuff...I Really enjoyed what I saw of it on the train. I cant get over how green that portion of the East actually is..in Richmond, its like the forrest is retaking the city...there are trees EVERYWHERE...in England some plants have the ability to force themselves through tarmac, and often by the side of the roads you will have a tiny volcano like strucutre with a plant poping outta the top...well Richmond is like the Tarmac, and the Trees are like the plant, they pop up everywhere :laugh:

its interesting how facinating you find american cities..... to me there boring to spread out without much history... I would much prefer to live in a dense european like city full of history.... shows the grass is always greener on the other side...

I live in chicago and while downtown and the northside is nice. half of the city is ghetto and the suburbs outside of the northshore are bland to me...

Tyburn
10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
its interesting how facinating you find american cities..... to me there boring to spread out without much history... I would much prefer to live in a dense european like city full of history.... shows the grass is always greener on the other side...

I live in chicago and while downtown and the northside is nice. half of the city is ghetto and the suburbs outside of the northshore are bland to me...

:huh: I thought you lived in Canada!? I wish you'd told me you were in Chicago and we could have met up :sad:

Let me tell you that even in Chicago the people are ten times more friendly then in a European, particularly British City. Heck...the people downtown were nicer then some people in the small towns around where I live.

There are two things I'd say about the cities...firstly, you can get the whole world in America...for example, you go to Nevada and you'll get people living in what look like arabic flat roofed houses, its arid, and it never rains, and it never snows and its always like that. You go to Alaska and you'll find arctic conditions, peoples homes will be extremely well insulated, and they will have a road system capable of being useable under heavy snow. Two extreme places bearly shared in the same country else where on earth...but all part of the US. You go to the Midwest and I kid you not, you see nothing but cornfields, as far as the eye can see, its flat, its dusty, and its full of small close knit farming communities where every knows everyone else, you go to Washington DC, and your in Northern Europe, the fountains, the Classical Architecture, the tropical humidity, just down the road in Virginia and the countryside is nothing but green forrests...Go north slightly and you hit New York one of the largest and most dominant cities in the World, where everything is fast paced. These are different worlds, absolutely different worlds...if I wanted to experience what I experienced in the US just based on climate and people, I'd have to visit about 5 different countries...I could do it all within a weeks travel in the US.

I love London, but its terribly British, Chicago is picturesque like London, it has a River, it has an ocean (even though its not on the coast, the Lakes are effectively inland Oceans) but its definatley American, you can tell because of the Sky Scrapers. No it doesnt have a long History, but it does have a local History...and it will have a Native Indian History which however transparent, inconsiquential and lacking in memorabilia will go back a fair way into History, perhaps as much as a thousand years

I could be quite happy living in Chicago...I might at a push be able to live in Richmond, I'd not be able to live in Washington DC, and I'd hate living in Granite City :laugh:

Yes, the cities are sprawling...its not that they need to be, its simply they have the luxury of large land mass, You cant walk many places in American, downtown central cities are about your limit, and that would bother me, I'd be forced to drive...but in the US everyone does automatic...whereas in Europe everyone does sodding manual gears...and I cant do that to save my life :angry:

Play The Man
10-06-2009, 06:25 PM
:huh: I thought you lived in Canada!? I wish you'd told me you were in Chicago and we could have met up :sad:

Let me tell you that even in Chicago the people are ten times more friendly then in a European, particularly British City. Heck...the people downtown were nicer then some people in the small towns around where I live.

There are two things I'd say about the cities...firstly, you can get the whole world in America...for example, you go to Nevada and you'll get people living in what look like arabic flat roofed houses, its arid, and it never rains, and it never snows and its always like that. You go to Alaska and you'll find arctic conditions, peoples homes will be extremely well insulated, and they will have a road system capable of being useable under heavy snow. Two extreme places bearly shared in the same country else where on earth...but all part of the US. You go to the Midwest and I kid you not, you see nothing but cornfields, as far as the eye can see, its flat, its dusty, and its full of small close knit farming communities where every knows everyone else, you go to Washington DC, and your in Northern Europe, the fountains, the Classical Architecture, the tropical humidity, just down the road in Virginia and the countryside is nothing but green forrests...Go north slightly and you hit New York one of the largest and most dominant cities in the World, where everything is fast paced. These are different worlds, absolutely different worlds...if I wanted to experience what I experienced in the US just based on climate and people, I'd have to visit about 5 different countries...I could do it all within a weeks travel in the US.

I love London, but its terribly British, Chicago is picturesque like London, it has a River, it has an ocean (even though its not on the coast, the Lakes are effectively inland Oceans) but its definatley American, you can tell because of the Sky Scrapers. No it doesnt have a long History, but it does have a local History...and it will have a Native Indian History which however transparent, inconsiquential and lacking in memorabilia will go back a fair way into History, perhaps as much as a thousand years

I could be quite happy living in Chicago...I might at a push be able to live in Richmond, I'd not be able to live in Washington DC, and I'd hate living in Granite City :laugh:

Yes, the cities are sprawling...its not that they need to be, its simply they have the luxury of large land mass, You cant walk many places in American, downtown central cities are about your limit, and that would bother me, I'd be forced to drive...but in the US everyone does automatic...whereas in Europe everyone does sodding manual gears...and I cant do that to save my life :angry:

Great observation, Tyburn. I have about 25 places I would like to visit in the U.S. before I even started visiting foreign countries.

Twinsmama
10-06-2009, 06:39 PM

Yes I loved it there. I was only 16 at the time and really wanted to move there. It was in the middle of summer. Then someone told me how cold it gets there. Change of plans:laugh: I get cold if its 70 here! I don't think I could even take the cold in North Florida! All of the land in South Florida is flat and I loved seeing the mountains (they called them hills). I do hope to visit there again someday. hopefully in summer again

rearnakedchoke
10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
i live in canada but haven't seen any of it .. just here in TOronto and our province of ontario ..

in the US

michigan
ohio
new york
PA
kentucky
tennessee
SC
NC
Florida
Jersey
Virginia Beach
Georgia

rest of world
mexico
dom republic
pakistan

Boomer
10-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Youve been to the Vatican???

Yes .. and saw the pope ... was an accedent .. but I saw him give a morning prayer or something .. I don't know, I don't speak latin. :laugh:

Llamafighter
10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
been to every state except:
Alaska
Hawaii
N. Dakota
Maine
Rhode island
Louisiana
Arkansas

Canada:
Vancouver

Have not been over seas yet.

Tyburn
10-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Yes .. and saw the pope ... was an accedent .. but I saw him give a morning prayer or something .. I don't know, I don't speak latin. :laugh:

Which Pope? Benedict?? John-Paul?? Boomer...noone "accidently" ends up at the Vatican City...much less I assume Saint Peters Basilica for Mattins :laugh:

I was actually still working at Saint Paul's Cathedral when John Paul died. We are Anglican so it wasnt a huge thing for us, although we have a lot of Roman Catholic Tourists and so we did have a little temporary Memorial. I watched Ratzinger conduct the Funeral...I'll never forget the Bible pages fluttering in the breeze atop of the Catafalgue during the ceremony :unsure-1:

But....I've never been to the Vatican...its not high on my list of things to do :laugh:

suntereo
10-06-2009, 10:01 PM
washington
oregon
california
texas
new mexico
arizona
nevada
louisiana
alabama
florida
arkansas
missouri
tennessee
new york
new jersey
illinois
hawaii (all 7 islands)

USA
mexico
canada
hong kong
singapore
tailand
indonesia
australia
guam
africa
oman
uae
kuwait
iraq
iran (kinda) - it's a long story
phillipines
diego garcia
reunion island
russia
new zealand

to do list
scotland / ireland / england
italy for my wife
portugal
tahiti
samoa
uruguay
peru
costa rica

bj44
10-06-2009, 10:40 PM

true america as a whole is more diverse than any european country but of course look at the size of it.... western europe alone has more people than the us with about 1/10th the amount of land....overcrowding is a big issue over there ill say that...especially in england actually.... to have 50 million people living in a country smaller than illinois is insanly overpopulated..

its true ive heard people in chicago are alot nicer and laid back then people on the east coast coast....Cities like boston, D.C and new york minus the skyscrapers is very european in design with high density and good public transportation ...

sasquatch
10-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I've lived in Hawaii up until a month ago, now I live in Arizona.

The only states i've been to are:

Hawaii
Arizona
Nevada
California

You can't really drive to other places in Hawaii.:unsure:

MattHughesRocks
10-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Wow! I'd like a 10 page report on each place youve been to. Due pronto!

washington
oregon
california
texas
new mexico
arizona
nevada
louisiana
alabama
florida
arkansas
missouri