PDA

View Full Version : Texas boy shoots down 800 pound gater!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Texas Boy, 5, Shoots Down 800-Pound Alligator
Friday , October 02, 2009

ADVERTISEMENTTexas-born Simon Hughes, 5, doesnít look intimidating. But put a gun in his hands and pit him against an 800-pound alligator and itís a different story.

Simon's been training to handle a gun since he was just 4, his dad told MyFOXHouston ó and it's a good thing, too, or else he could've gotten hurt by the mega-gator that wound up on the Hughes family ranch.

The huge alligator bit into a baited hook in a marsh on the property, coming face-to-face with Simon. The boy reacted with lightning speed, grabbing his gun and shooting the reptile in the head.

"It come out, the biggest alligator I've ever seen," Simon told MyFOXHouston. "He did his death roll."

The reptile was nearly 20 times the 3-foot, 44-pound boyís size. It didn't survive the shooting.

Click here for video.

His dad Scott Hughes said there's a reason he started training his son, who is in kindergarten, to shoot guns at such an early age.

"Everything on the ranch will either bite you or stick you," he told MyFOXHouston.

The little boy has now earned the nickname "Gator Bait."

"Simon was a champ, couldn't ask for any better. He was just fearless," said Chuck Cotton, a family friend who witnessed the shooting.

The family plans to cook up the meat to celebrate.

Click here for more from MyFOXHouston.com.

SEARCH

Click here for FOX News RSS Feeds

Advertise on FOX News Channel, FOXNews.com and FOX News Radio
Jobs at FOX News Channel.
Internships At Fox News (Summer Application Deadline is March 15, 2007)
Terms of use. Privacy Statement. For FOXNews.com comments write to

Buzzard
10-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Texas Boy, 5, Shoots Down 800-Pound Alligator
Friday , October 02, 2009

ADVERTISEMENTTexas-born Simon Hughes, 5, doesnít look intimidating. But put a gun in his hands and pit him against an 800-pound alligator and itís a different story.

Simon's been training to handle a gun since he was just 4, his dad told MyFOXHouston ó and it's a good thing, too, or else he could've gotten hurt by the mega-gator that wound up on the Hughes family ranch.

The huge alligator bit into a baited hook in a marsh on the property, coming face-to-face with Simon. The boy reacted with lightning speed, grabbing his gun and shooting the reptile in the head.

"It come out, the biggest alligator I've ever seen," Simon told MyFOXHouston. "He did his death roll."

The reptile was nearly 20 times the 3-foot, 44-pound boyís size. It didn't survive the shooting.

Click here for video.

His dad Scott Hughes said there's a reason he started training his son, who is in kindergarten, to shoot guns at such an early age.

"Everything on the ranch will either bite you or stick you," he told MyFOXHouston.

The little boy has now earned the nickname "Gator Bait."

"Simon was a champ, couldn't ask for any better. He was just fearless," said Chuck Cotton, a family friend who witnessed the shooting.

The family plans to cook up the meat to celebrate.

Click here for more from MyFOXHouston.com.

SEARCH

Click here for FOX News RSS Feeds

Advertise on FOX News Channel, FOXNews.com and FOX News Radio
Jobs at FOX News Channel.
Internships At Fox News (Summer Application Deadline is March 15, 2007)
Terms of use. Privacy Statement. For FOXNews.com comments write to

Poor gator. At least they are going to use him for food. I'm much rather catch and release for others to enjoy the immense beauty of such a grand creature, but the boy sure did well in not becoming gator bait.

rockdawg21
10-04-2009, 01:38 PM
That's pretty cool, but why is this in the politics section?

adamt
10-04-2009, 02:24 PM
That's pretty cool, but why is this in the politics section?

probably has something to do with bush

isn't the gator the mascot of the green party.... is this a metaphor???

TexasRN
10-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Maybe it's so we can justify spending stimulus money on the poor gators? They need homes and food. Let's bail them out.

~Amy

rockdawg21
10-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Oh, that's a good point. Perhaps Buzzard can help explain to us why this is Bush's fault. :laugh:

que
10-04-2009, 04:53 PM
i laughed when it said "But put a gun in his hands and pit him against an 800-pound alligator and itís a different story" it makes it sound like the gator had an equal advantage on him. :laugh:

now if they were TRULY pitted against each other, that would be a different story and something truly remarkable

Mac
10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Poor gator. At least they are going to use him for food. I'm much rather catch and release for others to enjoy the immense beauty of such a grand creature, but the boy sure did well in not becoming gator bait.

You are an idiot , Plain and simple.

Chuck
10-04-2009, 06:03 PM

Little harsh there Mac???

Not everybody is a hunter :wink:

atomdanger
10-04-2009, 06:55 PM
why is a young boy bating alligators?
also, what did the gator do wrong to get shot?

I mean, they baited him, you put out bait for an animal, then kill it when it comes?
That doesn't sound like you killed it out of defense, were they hunting gators?

VCURamFan
10-04-2009, 07:24 PM
why is a young boy bating alligators?
also, what did the gator do wrong to get shot?

I mean, they baited him, you put out bait for an animal, then kill it when it comes?
That doesn't sound like you killed it out of defense, were they hunting gators?
It's an 800lbs gator on a farm with livestock/children. It's not a matter of what it did, but what it could do. If you brought your son home & there was a rabid dog in your living room, would you wait for the dog to bite someone before you shot it, or take preemptive measures?

Bonnie
10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Little harsh there Mac???

Not everybody is a hunter :wink:

He's not being harsh just plain speaking. Mac, just find a way to get the animal to pull the trigger and kill itself and Buzzard will just think how courageous it was and you can still get the meat.

By the way, Chuck, loved your post in the "suicide" thread. I felt you pretty much had Buzzard's number with that.

J.B.
10-04-2009, 08:39 PM
He's not being harsh just plain speaking. Mac, just find a way to get the animal to pull the trigger and kill itself and Buzzard will just think how courageous it was and you can still get the meat.

Gatorcide? :unsure-1:

atomdanger
10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
It's an 800lbs gator on a farm with livestock/children. It's not a matter of what it did, but what it could do. If you brought your son home & there was a rabid dog in your living room, would you wait for the dog to bite someone before you shot it, or take preemptive measures?

Ok, for one, it wasn't in the yard or the living room.
They had to bait it, so it doesn't sound like it was in the house lol

It sickens me when people move into wild animal territory then kill animals because THEY moved into that animals area.
DONT MOVE THERE.

With your thoughts we might as well wipe out all dangerous animals,
everywhere.
Or, look at a place like Alaska, where Moose / Bear have more rights than animals and live very close in with towns / cities / people and they have a very low attack rate because people there actually respect animals.

Bonnie
10-04-2009, 09:04 PM

:laugh: What? Too crazy a thought? :huh: I just thought Buzzard would feel better if it happened "suicide ala Buzzard". :wink:

adamt
10-04-2009, 09:18 PM

wow that was one courageous gator :tongue0011:

adamt
10-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Maybe it's so we can justify spending stimulus money on the poor gators? They need homes and food. Let's bail them out.

~Amy

Gator-aid :laugh: change we can hope in

Buzzard
10-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh, that's a good point. Perhaps Buzzard can help explain to us why this is Bush's fault. :laugh:

Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck. Don't quit your day job.

You must have been looking in the mirror when you typed out that statement.

It's obvious that you have difficullty thinking on your own. Go back to reading your book so it can tell you how to think.

By the way, Chuck, loved your post in the "suicide" thread. I felt you pretty much had Buzzard's number with that.

Sometimes you have to think in order to understand things. Don't stress yourself too hard, wouldn't want you hurt yourself.

Bonnie
10-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I'd be upset about not understanding what the heck you're talking about..."book?"...."thinking on my own?"....but, I think I'd have more to worry about if I DID understand the way your mind works. :rolleyes: :laugh:

J.B.
10-04-2009, 10:04 PM

It sickens me when people move into wild animal territory then kill animals because THEY moved into that animals area.
DONT MOVE THERE.

everywhere.
Or, look at a place like Alaska, where Moose / Bear have more rights than animals and live very close in with towns / cities / people and they have a very low attack rate because people there actually respect animals.

What don't you understand about a ranchers need to protect his livestock and the children on his property?

People have a right to inhabit anywhere they want and they also have a right to protect themselves from dangerous creatures. That is the nature of survival. I think it's great that they got the sucker before we read a story about that 800 pound gator eating that kid.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I kinda doubt the Boy was Gator hunting! Most likely he was fishing and not expecting to catch a Gator!

Buzzard
10-04-2009, 11:13 PM

DONT MOVE THERE.

everywhere.

I agree with you. It's like people where I live that clear cut woods, put up a McMansion and plant rose bushes etc. and bitch and moan when deer and other wild animals eat their roses on what was once pristine woodland housing many varieties of wildlife.

My lawn is meadowish and I kept the woods around it. I have deer, fox, possum, skunk, snakes, lizards, frogs, bats and an occasional bear in the area. I have even seen a few coyotes on my way to work in the early morning. I feel honored when they venture onto the property and use it as a source of food, shade, and comfort. All animals are welcome in my yard. If I find a poisonous snake here, I'll move it and let it continue to live. Heck, I even let the ginormous spiders live in the bushes next to my front door. I watch them grow from spiderlings to full sized monsters. They all have a right to live as long as they stay out of my bedding and clothes.

NateR
10-05-2009, 12:21 AM
You must have been looking in the mirror when you typed out that statement.

I've watched Mac type and I guarantee you he was looking directly at the keyboard.:laugh:

Buzzard
10-05-2009, 01:00 AM
I've watched Mac type and I guarantee you he was looking directly at the keyboard.:laugh:

:laugh:

atomdanger
10-05-2009, 01:08 AM
I agree with you. It's like people where I live that clear cut woods, put up a McMansion and plant rose bushes etc. and bitch and moan when deer and other wild animals eat their roses on what was once pristine woodland housing many varieties of wildlife.

My lawn is meadowish and I kept the woods around it. I have deer, fox, possum, skunk, snakes, lizards, frogs, bats and an occasional bear in the area. I have even seen a few coyotes on my way to work in the early morning. I feel honored when they venture onto the property and use it as a source of food, shade, and comfort. All animals are welcome in my yard. If I find a poisonous snake here, I'll move it and let it continue to live. Heck, I even let the ginormous spiders live in the bushes next to my front door. I watch them grow from spiderlings to full sized monsters. They all have a right to live as long as they stay out of my bedding and clothes.

Yeah, it just seems silly.
Alaska is my great example because people live in complete harmony will a LOT of dangerous animals.
Moose kill more people than bears hands down in the world.

If you respect an animal and act accordingly, you'll be fine.
and props to you for doing so

rockdawg21
10-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck. Don't quit your day job.
You're no fun this time :sad:

Buzzard
10-05-2009, 01:35 AM
You're no fun this time :sad:

I do sometimes have off moments. Would it have been better if I had given you a noogie?:wink:

rockdawg21
10-05-2009, 01:48 AM
I do sometimes have off moments. Would it have been better if I had given you a noogie?:wink:
Nah, nothing fun about a real noogie or an e-noggie. :laugh:

Chuck
10-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by Bonnie

It's obvious that you have difficullty thinking on your own. Go back to reading your book so it can tell you how to think.

Sometimes you have to think in order to understand things. Don't stress yourself too hard, wouldn't want you hurt yourself.

Come on now brother... that's not necessary. :sad:

que
10-05-2009, 03:14 AM
everywhere.

yeah, and another to mention, using that logic, is that if we were to wipe out all the dangerous animals everywhere... human beings would be the first to go. we are by far and away the most dangerous animals that live on this planet.

seriously, this planet is big enough for all of us. let the bears and jaguars and alligators have their own place!

Buzzard
10-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Come on now brother... that's not necessary. :sad:

You are correct. My apologies for my attack. I should take the high road instead of defending my fortress of solitude. :ashamed:

Chuck
10-05-2009, 05:12 AM
You are correct. My apologies for my attack. I should take the high road instead of defending my fortress of solitude. :ashamed:

Not to me silly!! To Bonnie :D

It's just that you're better then that brother. You're take the antagonist role on occasion, you're intelligent and you enjoy a good debate/conversation. I'm cool with that.

But insults and attacks aren't you. You're better then that and you know it. :wink:

Mac
10-05-2009, 05:14 AM

It's just that you're better then that brother. :

nope , no hes not . hes an idiot.

Buzzard
10-05-2009, 06:38 AM

It's just that you're better then that brother. You're take the antagonist role on occasion, you're intelligent and you enjoy a good debate/conversation. I'm cool with that.

But insults and attacks aren't you. You're better then that and you know it. :wink:

That's who I aimed my apology to. Maybe my aim is off track. It is getting a little late you know and I'm having trouble seeing straight. Sorry about that Bonnie.

Buzzard
10-05-2009, 06:40 AM

And I wish you a pleasant night too Mac. I wish your dreams come true, unless they are about the fleas of a thousand camels infesting my armpits. Then I don't.

I've been called and answered to a lot worse than idiot.:wink:

Vizion
10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
is this a true story? where is the picture evidence?

Llamafighter
10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
is this a true story? where is the picture evidence?

Yeah! your kid kills an 800lb gator, what hunter wouldn't snap a photo?

Chuck
10-05-2009, 01:15 PM

:laugh:
You're all about the love aren't you Mac?

rearnakedchoke
10-05-2009, 01:17 PM
i with some of the folk on here that think the thing shoulda been trapped and released elsewhere .. but since it was killed, hook me up with some deep fried gator and a pair of shoes and a matching belt ...

Twinsmama
10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
are you guys really against killing poor innocent animals???

My favorite meal consists of a dead deer and hog. Deer backstrap wrapped in bacon, marinated in italian dressing, cooked on the grill...oowwww my mouth is watering.:laugh:

i'm more angry about the 5 year old being left along fishing by himself than an animal dying. a 5 year old with a gun doesn't seem very safe. I know there are 5 year olds that are very good at shooting guns. It's just hard for me to imagine leaving my 5 year old with a gun by himself. (maybe that is not the way it happened-I didn't read the whole story)

rearnakedchoke
10-05-2009, 01:42 PM
are you guys really against killing poor innocent animals???

My favorite meal consists of a dead deer and hog. Deer backstrap wrapped in bacon, marinated in italian dressing, cooked on the grill...oowwww my mouth is watering.:laugh:

i'm more angry about the 5 year old being left along fishing by himself than an animal dying. a 5 year old with a gun doesn't seem very safe. I know there are 5 year olds that are very good at shooting guns. It's just hard for me to imagine leaving my 5 year old with a gun by himself. (maybe that is not the way it happened-I didn't read the whole story)

is there a way to eat them alive??? LOL ..

i guess you are right ... better to kill something in the wild yourself and eat it then to get it from the market where it has been raised to be killed (probably in horrible conditions) .. at least hunted food has had the luxury of living in the wild before it dies ...

Mac
10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Ive had Gator "thanks Matt" and let me tell you , it was better than any fish ive ever chewed on.

Llamafighter
10-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I had deep fried gator tail meat and it was very good.

County Mike
10-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Gator meat is yummy.

TexasRN
10-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Fried gator tail with voodoo sauce is absolutely delicious. I can't get it here in NC. May have to wait till my next TX trip at the end of the month.

~Amy