PDA

View Full Version : Roy Nelson: "Kimbo's family and entourage were on the set"

que
10-01-2009, 08:11 PM
what is he, some kind of baby? i think it's hilarious that he can't be away from his family and entourage like all the other fighters on the show... which was obviously another one of his agreements with UFC just like the "no one touches the beard" agreement his manager demanded. IMO if you want to be an ultimate fighter then you must sacrifice the same things everyone else does on the show, that includes being isolated from phones, family, managers, friends, media, etc

“I could have stayed in mount and finished him there with elbows and punches, but my game plan was to get to the crucifix, and once I got to the crucifix, finish the fight there. First round was 44 punches to the face, and then (referee) Herb Dean doesn’t know how to ref, but we’ve seen that before. And then the next round was 22 punches. You could even see me yelling at Herb Dean, ‘Come on, ref.’ But the thing is, there’s a lot of people; there’s a lot of money. Kimbo’s the only one that I know that had an entourage there; he actually had his family there, his management, while the rest of us kind of had to suffer. The UFC made, we’ll say, different concessions for Kimbo. I think he had a media room. Kimbo’s definitely, I guess we’ll say, special. I don’t see the specialness fighting-wise, but more for TV-wise. He puts butts in the seats. So I think it was more that Herb Dean was afraid to lose his job, because there’s a lot of people with a lot of money that can have a lot of influence with his career.”

http://mmamania.com/

flo
10-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Why is Dana so fixated on this guy? Except for a great physique, I don't know what it is Dana thinks everyone will love. The metal-encased teeth really give me the willies. And why *is* he allowed to have family and entourage there??

Dana dissed Roy last night too, saying it was like getting hit by your sister. WTH? Yeah, it was a boring fight but Kimbo didn't look too comfortable getting pounded. He was literally saved by the bell the first round and I thought Herb Dean stopped the fight when it should have been stopped in the second.

That's just my take. :)

County Mike
10-01-2009, 08:27 PM
It has nothing to do with Kimbo's fighting ability. It's his ability to sell tickets. For some reason, people will pay to watch him fight. THAT is what makes Kimbo valuable to the promotions.

Bonnie
10-01-2009, 08:52 PM
It has nothing to do with Kimbo's fighting ability. It's his ability to sell tickets. For some reason, people will pay to watch him fight. THAT is what makes Kimbo valuable to the promotions.

Yeah, I think we've got that figured out: money, money, money, money....! Dana obviously has invested a lot in Kimbo. I just don't think he should have been "showcased" on TUF. It isn't fair to all the other guys in my opinion. :wink: He should have to do what all the other fighters are doing or doing without. I wondered why the Fertittas were there last night. I don't remember ever seeing them like that for this show. I think that's why Roy made that comment to Dana and them, "Thanks for coming!" :laugh: He knew who they were there for and it wasn't him. I'm sure it made his win that much sweeter.

I have nothing against Kimbo; I just don't think what's going on is fair. He's been put on the show like a "ringer". He's going to "win" and be in the UFC no matter how he does on TUF. So really, what's the point. :wink:

Sounds like it's all a big set-up to make Kimbo's entrance into the UFC look legitimate.

County Mike
10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree. I don't like the favoritism either. Once again, I'm in a position to not like Kimbo through no fault of his own. I don't understand why his hype hasn't died down yet. I would like to see him do well, but until then, he's just another fighter trying to make it.

Blmfighter
10-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Kimbo just stayed down he did not even try to move more the once. I don't think Roy was hitting very hard the shots looked weak and before the fight they showed Roy talking to the guys by the pool and he was telling them that all you have to do is slap lightly and they have to stop the fight. I think that is how he kept from gassing out. He throw 60 soft punches instead of 60 hard punches.

flo
10-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I think we've got that figured out: money, money, money, money....! Dana obviously has invested a lot in Kimbo. I just don't think he should have been "showcased" on TUF. It isn't fair to all the other guys in my opinion. :wink: He should have to do what all the other fighters are doing or doing without. I wondered why the Fertittas were there last night. I don't remember ever seeing them like that for this show. I think that's why Roy made that comment to Dana and them, "Thanks for coming!" :laugh: He knew who they were there for and it wasn't him. I'm sure it made his win that much sweeter.

I have nothing against Kimbo; I just don't think what's going on is fair. He's been put on the show like a "ringer". He's going to "win" and be in the UFC no matter how he does on TUF. So really, what's the point. :wink:

Sounds like it's all a big set-up to make Kimbo's entrance into the UFC look legitimate.

Spot on, Bonnie!

flo
10-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd rather see Marcus the gardener make good in the UFC. Watching the fight last night, I wouldn't pay 50 cents to watch Kimbo fight, the first fight of TUF was much better, I even enjoyed the second fight more, they were both so gassed out, lol!

Dana may think he's a big moneymaker but I just can't see it. It seems like it's not enough these days to have good MMA abilities to make it in the UFC, there has to be an "angle".

Of course, I could be wrong. :happydancing:

flo
10-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Kimbo just stayed down he did not even try to move more the once. I don't think Roy was hitting very hard the shots looked weak and before the fight they showed Roy talking to the guys by the pool and he was telling them that all you have to do is slap lightly and they have to stop the fight. I think that is how he kept from gassing out. He throw 60 soft punches instead of 60 hard punches.

Yes, I remember him saying that before the fight too, counting the slaps/punches out loud for the benefit of the ref, I think he followed his game plan.

It's not like I'm a big Roy fan either, I thought Rashad was right on telling him he doesn't listen and has an answer for everything. Also, if Kimbo says "you know what I mean?" one more time, I think I'll scream.

flo
10-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Memo to Kimbo:

Yes! We know what you mean, quit asking, sheesh.

logrus
10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I was more impressed with Kimbo then Nelson. Kimbo actually did alright avoiding the takedown when NElson had him against the cage and it really took the laws of motion and gravity to get Kimbo down. I was impressed with him actually using the cage to roll out of the first takedown and almost had it. The second round he did a rookie mistake and tried to knee a guy looking to take it to the ground.

I don't see many people get out of the crusifix even when the weight is equal or close. I didn't expect Kimbo to do anything in that position either, to much gravity.

Kimbo also looked light on his feet and was circling the cage with good movements. I think him being gun shy was respecting Nelsons ability to take fights to the ground.

flo
10-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Interesting. Well, you know more about MMA than I do so I appreciate the other viewpoint.

Bonnie
10-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree. I don't like the favoritism either. Once again, I'm in a position to not like Kimbo through no fault of his own. I don't understand why his hype hasn't died down yet. I would like to see him do well, but until then, he's just another fighter trying to make it.

Yeah, listening to him speak, he sounded like a nice enough guy who really wants to be a fighter. It's just a shame that Dana is tarnishing Kimbo's chance to look legit. If he gives Kimbo a headliner fight before he is ready, I'm afraid it might end like his last one, and then, where will he be. He needs lots more training in mma and on the ground. I know that heavyweights usually are strikers, but I think in today's mma, you have to be well-rounded.

CAVEMAN
10-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah, it sure seemed like Dana was a little hot under the collar that he had to watch his Kimbo investment go up in flames. Big Country is a well rounded fighter and the only thing Kimbo had was a punchers chance.

que
10-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, listening to him speak, he sounded like a nice enough guy who really wants to be a fighter. It's just a shame that Dana is tarnishing Kimbo's chance to look legit. If he gives Kimbo a headliner fight before he is ready, I'm afraid it might end like his last one, and then, where will he be. He needs lots more training in mma and on the ground. I know that heavyweights usually are strikers, but I think in today's mma, you have to be well-rounded.

yeah. things are starting to shape up just like how gary shaw prematurely put kimbo into the spotlight, and gave him special benefits simply because of his pulling power. it's ironic because dana white use to bash gary shaw for doing that. but now dana is kinda doing the same thing. another thing i loved was how at the end of the episode their desperate attempt to hold onto viewers by saying he might be back. lol

Bonnie
10-01-2009, 09:51 PM

I know, did you hear Herb Dean both rounds, "Come on Kimbo, work, work! You gotta give me somethin'! Come on Kimbo!" :blink:

I've heard refs tell the guys (both) to "work" in fights, but I've never seen a ref actually trying to "will" a particular fighter to do something/anything so he wouldn't have to call the fight. :wink:

I'm like Mike, I don't understand all the hype surrounding him. But, you know that cage is a great equalizer. :laugh:

Bonnie
10-01-2009, 09:59 PM
yeah. things are starting to shape up just like how gary shaw prematurely put kimbo into the spotlight, and gave him special benefits simply because of his pulling power. it's ironic because dana white use to bash gary shaw for doing that. but now dana is kinda doing the same thing. another thing i loved was how at the end of the episode their desperate attempt to hold onto viewers by saying he might be back. lol

:laugh: Yeah, I'm already suspicious about that. They've got me thinking "conspiracy theory" now. :laugh: Is "Jones" really hurt or is he "taking a fall" so Kimbo gets another chance?

I guess we'll find out next week. To be cont'd.... :laugh:

EHLERZ5
10-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm going to be truthfully honest.... I think Kimbo got on the show just because of "looks" and the "idea" that he knows how to fight. Personally, I have watched his internet library of fights, as well as his cage fights in the other organization... I DON'T BELIEVE THIS GUY IS REAL AT ALL!!! I think his personallity is good, and I like the hype he brings to the show... But none of his opponents on the net look like they could beat up my mailman. And I don't care what anyone says, those first 2 1-punch KO's in the closed organization were dives, plain and simple. I don't even thing the Tank Abbot fight was legit....

Anyone else feel this way about Bimbo Slice?

Crisco
10-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I like Kimbo and I've heard refs say time and time again to a fighter that he needs to do something that is nothing new.

Dana is not giving Kimbo a headliner he is not a main event. He was the third fight on the ultimate fighter.

Elite XC was basing entire cards around him.

I think Kimbo still has the jitters in the cage and once he works out the kinks he can do decent against other strikers.

Bonnie
10-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Nah, there was something extra there in Herb's "work" to Kimbo. You could almost feel it through the screen. He was desperate for Kimbo to do something/anything. Even at the end when he finally called the fight, when he said, "Alright, this fight is over!" I don't think he wanted to do it, but he knew he HAD too. :wink:

I'm talking "headliner" once he's in the UFC (which is a given looks like).

Max
10-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Nah, there was something extra there in Herb's "work" to Kimbo. You could almost feel it through the screen. He was desperate for Kimbo to do something/anything. Even at the end when he finally called the fight, when he said, "Alright, this fight is over!" I don't think he wanted to do it, but he knew he HAD too. :wink:

I think Herb was saying that because he knew Ferguson was not being hurt by the punches at all. The reason fights are stopped when a fighter is not defending themselves is for the fighters safety. Dean knew Ferguson was not in any danger of being injured so basically Dean was stopping the fight because Ferguson was stuck under a mound of fat and could not get out.

rockdawg21
10-02-2009, 01:01 AM
I think Herb was saying that because he knew Ferguson was not being hurt by the punches at all. The reason fights are stopped when a fighter is not defending themselves is for the fighters safety. Dean knew Ferguson was not in any danger of being injured so basically Dean was stopping the fight because Ferguson was stuck under a mound of fat and could not get out.
Suffocation is much more painful than getting hit by a Playskool hammer.

J.B.
10-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Kimbo is special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfFRv_1XdDM

Shane Lee 2
10-02-2009, 03:27 AM
I was more impressed with Kimbo then Nelson. Kimbo actually did alright avoiding the takedown when NElson had him against the cage and it really took the laws of motion and gravity to get Kimbo down. I was impressed with him actually using the cage to roll out of the first takedown and almost had it. The second round he did a rookie mistake and tried to knee a guy looking to take it to the ground.

I don't see many people get out of the crusifix even when the weight is equal or close. I didn't expect Kimbo to do anything in that position either, to much gravity.

Kimbo also looked light on his feet and was circling the cage with good movements. I think him being gun shy was respecting Nelsons ability to take fights to the ground.

I was not real impressed with anyone in this fight and ecspecially the first but since we are talking about this one I'll stay with that. Kimbo looks like a fish out of water when he does anything other than swing them big meat hooks he has. I don't blame Kimbo for that though. He has coaches and a manager to help him make correct choices when it comes to his training.

A simple back door escape or running man manuever would have got him out of Nelson's side mount long before the crusifix was locked on. Why none of his coaches have not taught that to him is beyond me.

I am an instructor under 8th degree BJJ black belt Carlos Machado and in our curriculum, gi or no gi, MMA or straight bjj. Those are one of the first and easiest things to teach.

I think Kimbo needs to learn that his legs and hips are for fighting too. I think he could be a contender in the stand up game he just has to get some wrestling and a ground game if not for anything but to get back to his feet.

He needs to take a training trip to the HIT Squad and Chuck Liddel. They have what he needs.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
10-02-2009, 09:25 AM

I try not to resent Kimbo for getting everything you can out of the deal! But this favoritism needs to stop! The way Kimbo is being treated you would think he was Matt Hughes or someone who earned a break! Considering they gave a real MMA fighter the boot on the comeback episode for sneaking out with a Girl they shouldn't let Kimbo have all his people their to hold his hand. On a side note when Roy said the King has it his way I think he was trying to make a joke. It may not have been the best joke but to me its better than Rampage making fat jokes!

County Mike
10-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't think Kimbo CAN learn to fight on the ground. He's not new to MMA. He's been doing it for at least 3 years and still knows nothing on the ground. At the very least, he could have thrown knees into the side of Roy. His legs barely moved at all.

I would like to see him do well, but I think what he has now is all he'll ever have.

A funny note: On my Comcast schedule they have little info blurbs about each show. For that episode of TUF it read something like "The unteachable Kimbo Slice goes against the uncoachable Roy Nelson". I wonder who writes those things up. They called him "unteachable".

Llamafighter
10-02-2009, 12:55 PM

I think Kimbo was stuck and it's really hard for a ref to stop a fight when the fighter isn't taking any punichment. that was like chinese water torture drips on his forhead. If I were Roy, I wouldn't be telling people too loud that he hit someone 44 times in the head unanswered and didn't KO them:)

Neezar
10-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't think Kimbo CAN learn to fight on the ground. He's not new to MMA. He's been doing it for at least 3 years and still knows nothing on the ground. At the very least, he could have thrown knees into the side of Roy. His legs barely moved at all.

I would like to see him do well, but I think what he has now is all he'll ever have.

A funny note: On my Comcast schedule they have little info blurbs about each show. For that episode of TUF it read something like "The unteachable Kimbo Slice goes against the uncoachable Roy Nelson". I wonder who writes those things up. They called him "unteachable".

Well Mike there is this thing called Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. I think Kimbo couldn't formulate a plan to knee or anything else. He was too busy fighting for air under there!

logrus
10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I was not real impressed with anyone in this fight and ecspecially the first but since we are talking about this one I'll stay with that. Kimbo looks like a fish out of water when he does anything other than swing them big meat hooks he has. I don't blame Kimbo for that though. He has coaches and a manager to help him make correct choices when it comes to his training.

A simple back door escape or running man manuever would have got him out of Nelson's side mount long before the crusifix was locked on. Why none of his coaches have not taught that to him is beyond me.

I am an instructor under 8th degree BJJ black belt Carlos Machado and in our curriculum, gi or no gi, MMA or straight bjj. Those are one of the first and easiest things to teach.

I think Kimbo needs to learn that his legs and hips are for fighting too. I think he could be a contender in the stand up game he just has to get some wrestling and a ground game if not for anything but to get back to his feet.

He needs to take a training trip to the HIT Squad and Chuck Liddel. They have what he needs.

I think Kimbo knows what to do on the ground I think he just lacks the instincts to just do it and the ability to always be thinking 2 moves ahead of the other fighter.