PDA

View Full Version : Ben Askren

billwilliams70
02-07-2009, 10:47 AM
www.benaskren.net

Two-time NCAA Champion, 2008 Olympian, and holder of 87 straight collegiate wins is going to be making his MMA debut this weekend (SAT 7 FEB 09) in Columbia, MO.

Hope he does well.

Later.

HAHNSBRO
02-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Good wrestlers make good fighters, but does he have a strong chin? I'll be there. My bro's fightin on the same card.

billwilliams70
02-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Good wrestlers make good fighters, but does he have a strong chin? I'll be there. My bro's fightin on the same card.
That's some cool stuff, lemme know how they both do.

Later.

HAHNSBRO
02-07-2009, 03:32 PM
I will.
Hoping for a fight this weekend. My brother was on the card last week in Moberly MO. and was schedualed to fight the #2 ISCF 185 lb. amature fighter, during the weigh in the guy (Tom Tajkowski) called in and said he was sick and couldn't fight. Another fighter came in and said he would fight him and kick his @**. Well didn't happen, the guy 5 minuets from the fight took his gloves off and said he didn't want to fight my brother. Two forfits in one day. I guess when they hear he holds 2 MO. state records in wrestling and trains at Hughes gym they get scared. The second guy was boo'ed out of the auditorium. My bro sold over 60 tickes himself. You could imagin the reaction.

With a few pros and a big card looks to be a good night tonight. My brother met Askren a while back when he was wrestling and said he was a bad dude on the mat. Has alot of speed and is real strong. I'm pumped and ready to see some good fights.
I'll make a post with the unofficial results tonight.
Oh yeah, Its suposed to be streamed live at purefighter.com

HAHNSBRO
02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Sorry its www.purefight.org

atomdanger
02-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Ehh, not a rule at all.

Wrestlers are just like any other group (BJJ, Judo, Karate, Kickboxers, etc..).
Some convert it well to MMA, some do not.
Some can take a punch, some cannot.

VCURamFan
02-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Ehh, not a rule at all.

Wrestlers are just like any other group (BJJ, Judo, Karate, Kickboxers, etc..).
Some convert it well to MMA, some do not.
Some can take a punch, some cannot.True, but the work ethic that most wrestlers develop translates well into MMA since they have so much to learn. That work ethic means that more wrestlers tend to be willing to put in the time to learn the new skills they need, meaning that a higher percentage of wrestlers have successful cross-overs.

EDIT: I just re-read my post.All those "facts" without a single piece of proof. I must be the Ultimate Keyboard Warrior!!!! :P:

atomdanger
02-07-2009, 06:59 PM
True, but the work ethic that most wrestlers develop translates well into MMA since they have so much to learn. That work ethic means that more wrestlers tend to be willing to put in the time to learn the new skills they need, meaning that a higher percentage of wrestlers have successful cross-overs.

EDIT: I just re-read my post.All those "facts" without a single piece of proof. I must be the Ultimate Keyboard Warrior!!!! :P:

True, I just try not to get my hopes up when people come to MMA, its hit or miss.

HAHNSBRO
02-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Very true VCU. The key words were "good wrestlers" It doesn't mean they will become champions but most already have the right state of mind for competativeness speed and ajility. Yes a strong chin deffinantly makes a big differance. Would you rather go to the ground against a brawler or a wrestler? Ive been around champion wrestlers and the regement of training doesnt match those of an avarage martial arts student.
My nephew eats right, runs twice a day, weight trains once a day as well as wrestling practics once a day. All that just to be competative. My brother still trains in a simular manner.

Llamafighter
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Very true VCU. The key words were "good wrestlers" It doesn't mean they will become champions but most already have the right state of mind for competativeness speed and ajility. Yes a strong chin deffinantly makes a big differance. Would you rather go to the ground against a brawler or a wrestler? Ive been around champion wrestlers and the regement of training doesnt match those of an avarage martial arts student.
My nephew eats right, runs twice a day, weight trains once a day as well as wrestling practics once a day. All that just to be competative. My brother still trains in a simular manner.

Thanks for the link. I won't be able to watch but will rooting for your bro!

HAHNSBRO
02-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Your welcome. Mike is so stoked and ready. We were all woundering if he would fight again after his first fight about 2 years ago. (He won 1:04 of first round, KO) After training with the guys at the gym and Matt he has even more confidence than ever. He's at 185 and still benches close to 400 lbs. Some say does this wrestler have a chin? Well he's the youngest of 9 boys and 6 girls his chin has been tested many times over,, lol!

atomdanger
02-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Completely unfair comparison.

You said "Champion wrestlers", then compared them to "average martial arts student"

lol, You compare a champion to an average student.
Soo I would hope the regimen didn't even come close.

compare a "champion wrestler" to a "champion martial artist" and I am sure you will find they are pretty similar as far as work ethic goes.

One doesn't become a champion in a combat setting being lazy,
my point was wrestling isn't any better than a judo champions, or BJJ world champion coming over in my opinion.

TheConcretekid
02-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Last year I posted a "10 things I want to see in 2009" thread and this was one of them.

So far:
Askren is in MMA
Lay and Prey has not been as predominant
GSP is in route to fight A.Silva

But:
Bobby Lashley is in MMA (against my "No more WWE in MMA" wishes)
EXC's top talent is now under Strikeforce and Affliction still exists

But, we're only one month into 2009. I got high hopes for this year.

Josh
02-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Last year I posted a "10 things I want to see in 2009" thread and this was one of them.

So far:
Askren is in MMA

But:

But, we're only one month into 2009. I got high hopes for this year.
That's funny I remember that. I was thinking wasn't there a post about him a while back.

VCURamFan
02-08-2009, 11:44 PM

So far:
Askren is in MMA

But:

But, we're only one month into 2009. I got high hopes for this year.THAT'S why I recognized his name when I read it on the card. Good call, man!

billwilliams70
02-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Well? How'd your brother do? How'd Askren do?

Later.

VCURamFan
02-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Well? How'd your brother do? How'd Askren do?

Later.Ben won, I posted a thread with the fight video.

Mike won!! It was a brutal 3 round war & he won the split decision. One judge scored it 28-27, which is the oddest score I've heard, but whatever, the HIT Squad gets the win!!!